Mayvile-Portland-Clifford-Galsberg Get

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby Indians Alumni » Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:31 pm

I cannot see how a team with one loss can get the top vote in the state, with 3 other undefeated teams?  Can anyone justify that??? 
Last edited by Indians Alumni on Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. ~Muhammed Ali
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ndfan » Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:52 pm

Well first off that one loss was on the road by one point on a last second three point shot. I'm guessing media voted on who they think is the best team, not by record. I am sure there is more to the poll then just record. Trinity has a loss and they got a vote. My question is who has Four Winds and PBK played on there schedule that is a wow thats a great win? Mayville also didnt lose a senior from last years 4th place team at state.

Again it doesn't matter anyway, Districts start this week so records and rankings are out the window anyway. The only thing that counts is winning.
Last edited by ndfan on Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndfan » Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:05 pm

my bad on who votes
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby WildWarrior » Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:35 pm

ndfan wrote:Well first off that one loss was on the road by one point on a last second three point shot. I'm guessing media voted on who they think is the best team, not by record. I am sure there is more to the poll then just record. Trinity has a loss and they got a vote. My question is who has Four Winds and PBK played on there schedule that is a wow thats a great win? Mayville also didnt lose a senior from last years 4th place team at state.

Again it doesn't matter anyway, Districts start this week so records and rankings are out the window anyway. The only thing that counts is winning.

I can agree with all points, but I would have to say 4Winds beating Belcourt by 16 is a definite WOW.  If my memory serves me correct, didn't Becourt only lose by 2 points in Minot?
WildWarrior
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndfan » Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:56 pm

By no means am i trying to rip on Four Winds or PBK, I really don't know who they have on there schedule thats been tough. I've heard Four Winds region is the weakest in the state, i guess that is debateable.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indians Alumni » Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:13 am

I am not trying to rip on any teams, I am just wondering how a team that has a loss, can be the number one team.  I don't care if it is by one or one hundred it is still a loss.  I agree also, Belcourt is also a class "A" Team.  Four Winds sent them home with a big loss.  They also played a good Standing Rock team and beat them handedly!  I am not current on P-B-K, so I cannot make a comment on them.  But I can say that it sounds like politics have a big hand in who gets number one.  Yeah, you say that it doesn't matter going into districts, but what about the moral of kids, I mean These teams work hard, and I am not saying that May-Port doesn't, only to be told. "well May-Port played a tough game and lost by one, so we will keep them at number one." I don't care if P-B-K or Four Winds got the top spot, just give it to one of them.  They have played hard and deserve to be on the top!!!
It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. ~Muhammed Ali
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby nativegolfer » Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:07 am

Good point Big Shells!  JL
nativegolfer
NDPreps All-State

Postby NATURAL TALENT » Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:11 am

Undefeated does in no way make a team number one. It comes down to votes, Ashley is undefeated and they arnt even in the top 5.
NATURAL TALENT
NDPreps All-State

Postby 1337 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:55 am

I agree with SCC. I would rather not even be number one in the first place.

As far as the topic goes though, I do believe the OP (original poster) understands that the most votes is #1. I think the OP is just trying to state that how is it possible for an undefeated team to not receive more first place votes than a team with a loss?
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Ming01 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:39 am

P-B-K hasnt really played that tough of a schedule.  I can see your argument with Four Winds because they beat Belcourt.  But still its an opinion poll and it is really based on who you play.  Trinity has one loss and is ranked ahead of undefeated Ashley because they beat #1 Bowman last week.  Four Winds hasnt played anybody really that strong.  Thats why Mayville is number 1, they;ve played some pretty good teams.  A poll is just a poll.  It's high school basketball, its not like in college where the rankings determine your seed at the big dance.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby Irisheyes » Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:51 am

Four Winds did get one vote for #1.  It is just one of those things that the media decides on stregth of these schools schedule and such.  It is tough to compare regions and teams until you play.  Sounds like there are some teams out west that extremely tough.  By the way, What happened to Chip Anderson, last years coach of Four Winds?  I thought he was good.  Anyway.  Later.
Irisheyes
NDPreps Reserve

Postby nativegolfer » Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:00 am

I looked at MPCG's schedule and how can you say they have a tough schedule?  None of the teams in their region is ranked in the top 10.  Their schedule is no tougher than 4 winds or PBK.  By the way, besides beating class A Belcourt, 4 winds also beat a pretty good Red Lake, MN team.  JL
nativegolfer
NDPreps All-State

Postby ND_SportsNut » Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:36 am

I was at the Four Winds vs Belcourt game. FW looked very impressive, I mean they were up 20 at halftime. That was a nice win.
ND_SportsNut

Postby catz_15 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:37 am

ashley gets no respect in the polls for a very simple reason...  they were down by 20 at half time to an under .500 kulm team.  strasburg stuck with them the whole game.  district 6 isnt very strong as it used to be in the past with linton being so weak.  pbk dominates every team they play.  they have some amazing athletes.  mayport is proably the best defensive team in the state and by far they have the most overall height.  they are extremely tough and like every one has said....  a poll means nothing all that matter is who shows up to play any given night.
catz_15
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Backintheday » Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:04 am

Who cares who is ranked number one.

Four winds will have to prove that they are legit by making it to the state tourney.  Until then, WHO CARES ABOUT A STUPID POLL!

If I have to hear one more person on this earth talk about the "poor kids and damaging their delicate self-esteem and moral" I am going to puke.  Win the district, win the regional and go to the state tourney and beat everyone there,  then you can talk all you want about Four Winds, until then, WHO CARES ABOUT A STUPID POLL!:D
Backintheday

Postby Indians Alumni » Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:12 pm

The poll is about respect.  Giving a team with a loss priority over a team or teams that have no losses, is a slap in the face. 

Boosting kids moral is very improtant, if you play like a champion, don't you think that they should be given championship status? You are right it comes down to the tournament, if it didn't then give May-Port the championship trophy.  It all comes down to respect.  I guess putting May-Port with a loss, remember they lost!!! before anyone one of the other teams P-B-K or FW, is just a simple slap to each programs face!!! 

(if you are sick of the subject, you don't have to comment or even look at this posting, that is just ignorant)
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Ming01 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:22 pm

Like we said Mayville has played better overall quality teams then P-B-K
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indians Alumni » Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:25 pm

SCC, I agree.  I was just wondering how they voted on teams in the poll.  tournaments will prove the true champions.  It will be an interesting tournament.
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ndfan » Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:30 pm

Well you know what PBK and Four Winds shouldnt take it as a slap in the face, they should use it as motivation. Get to the State Tournament win it and show why they should be #1. I will GARUNTEE you nobody will remember who was #1 in these polls after the state tournament only the team that WINS it.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indians Alumni » Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:32 pm

Well put, It just bothered me!  You know what I am saying!!!
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ndfan » Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:42 pm

[user=232]Indians Alumni[/user] wrote:
Well put, It just bothered me!  You know what I am saying!!!

I totally get what your saying. My brother played for cavaliers football team in 2002, were undefeated the whole season just like Trinity was. Trinity was #1 and Cavalier #2. My brother and that team didnt care they were ranked 2nd they went out and got the job done in the championship game and thats all that mattered to them was winning that state championship. Four Winds and PBK need to do that not care and go out and keep winning. Winner of that last game of the season is all that matters.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby theefollman » Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:43 pm

What I think is you should have one of your great class B teams like Mayport-C-G and have them play a real number one team in the state DEVILS LAKE! Than you can say yur number one. Yeah they might of lost to Fargo South but south couldnt miss. They had a guy who averages under 10 points a game blow up for 27 and only missed like 3 times all game. So stop fighting about number one. Its all bout the DL Ballerz!!
theefollman
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Indians Alumni » Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:47 pm

That would be a good game DL VS FW!!!  I am sure our boys will be up for that game.  They both play the same style.  Uptempo!!!, Run and Gun baby! 
Last edited by Indians Alumni on Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby theefollman » Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:52 pm

Indians Alumni wrote:That would be a good game DL VS FW!!!  I am sure our boys will be up for that game.  They both play the same style.  Uptempo!!!, Run and Gun baby! 

I agree with you it would be a decent game. In the past when they played in tournaments it was always fun to watch. I believe though Devils Lake would win it however. I am not saying that to be mean or anything because I think in Class B that Four Winds should be first and i believe they will make a strong bid for a state championship but there isnt anyone who can stop Travis Mertens. Four Winds has guys who can hit the three ball but Devils Lake has the total package.
theefollman
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Indians Alumni » Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:54 pm

I agree, Travis Mertens is a good player, It would all have to come down to actually playing, like everyone states.  I here is being recruited by some nice D-1 Schools.  I am happy for him.  I remember the little fart when I was playing b-ball in my day, he used to come out with his dad Joe to some of our practices and games.  Joe has raised a fine young man. 
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Next

Return to Boys