cheers

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby supermang57 » Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:33 pm

this was stated in another thread, that the "overrated" cheer is unsportsman like...so i was wondering what some of the more unsportsman like cheers you've ever heard at a basketball game...maybe we can see some really bad ones to show you who innocent an simple cheer like overrated can be..

I remember going to the district 12 tournament last year, watching the games, and i remember a cheer....i cant recall what group it came from, but i heard a loud shout from the teams student section it went something like "kenmare you struggle" and if i remember correctly, kenmare ultimatly won, thats the most unsportsman like cheer i've heard...any one else got something?
supermang57
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Ming01 » Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:41 pm

The Scoreboard cheer.  This is chanted by the St. Mary's Student Section afer they win games.  I dont feel like saying it, cuz its kinda long but if any of you want to see it then I guess I will put it.  The faculty at St. Mary's has tried to stop their students from chanting it because the Century parents complained about it, but the students still do it anyway.
Last edited by Ming01 on Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby supermang57 » Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:58 pm

how dose that one go ming?
supermang57
NDPreps Reserve

Postby 1337 » Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:54 pm

I'll take a crack at it and see how well my memory is:

Something like:

This side is the winning side(pointing to their side)
That side is the losing side(pointing to the opponents side)
Winning side
Losing side
Winning Side
Losing side
Floor board
Score board
Nah nah nah, nah nah nah, hey hey hey, goodbye!

It was pretty close to that back in my day anyway. Lets hear the real one ming.
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby burner555 » Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:18 pm

People who cares if the student section is acting in an unsportsmanlike manner.  At least they are in to the game and cheering.  Many of them probably wouldnt attend if they couldnt do these things.  Would you guys rather have them sit there and just watch the game and bs with each other.  Come on these kids are in highschool not jr high if they cant take a little taunting they shouldnt be out on the floor. 
burner555
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ndfan » Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:07 am

If the only reason somebody goes to a sporting event is to act in an unsportsmanlike manner don't go, because your gonna get nothing out of the game and your just gonna annoy people. Alot of the time I don't see a problem with the cheering, other then the few things said by a few people. Another thing is these kids that play sports whether it be in the 2nd grade, jr high, or high school, they are out there to show there hard work, dedication, and skill into there sport that they have put alot of time into. They are by no means out there to be TAUNTED at. I think thats why the have CHEERleaders too, to CHEER.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indians Alumni » Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:26 am

I agree NDfan, This negativity should be put to a stop at an early age.  I was taught in High School and In college football to keep my own front step clean, meaning worry about my own team.  These kids need to show some class.  If you are winning act like you've been there before. 
It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. ~Muhammed Ali
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby supermang57 » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:11 am

i think it dose matter if the students are acting unsportsman like, and they dont go to to game to "taunt" other teams, they are there to cheer on there own teams, and i was jsut wondering what some of the worst was...because someone stated an overrated cheer was offensive...so i wanted to show them how bad they accually get
supermang57
NDPreps Reserve

Postby burner555 » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:13 am

The overated cheer shouldnt be viewed as offensive, it should be viewed as motivation. 
burner555
NDPreps Reserve

Postby puck71 » Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:24 pm

Also, I think the overrated chant should be reserved for when you actually beat a high-ranked team. When you "almost win" I don't think that should count. ;)
puck71
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ndsubball » Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:22 pm

[align=left]I agree with puck71 I remember going to Fargo Shanley earler this year and we beat them by two points and their students chanted "over rated".......another one is the one where when Devils Lake made it to state last year and played williston in the first round and they chanted junior college every time merty got the ball...i thought that was lame because merty is a good bball player [/align]
ndsubball

Postby burner555 » Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:26 pm

that is funny coming from the williston fans, isn their mr. bb going to jr college
burner555
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Ming01 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:29 pm

Hennessey is planning on transfering to a bigger, better college after JC ball.  He just wanted to develop more.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby Ming01 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:11 pm

1337 wrote:I'll take a crack at it and see how well my memory is:

Something like:

This side is the winning side(pointing to their side)
That side is the losing side(pointing to the opponents side)
Winning side
Losing side
Winning Side
Losing side
Floor board
Score board
Nah nah nah, nah nah nah, hey hey hey, goodbye!

It was pretty close to that back in my day anyway. Lets hear the real one ming.

Well thats sord of like it.  Heres what they chant:

One person chants: isnt this the winning side?
crowd chants : yes this is the winning side
same person chants: isnt that the losing side?
crowd: yes that is the losing side
same person: isnt that the playing court?
crowd chants: yes that is the playing court
same person chants: isnt that the scoreboard?
crowd: yes that is the scoreboard
same person: isnt that the exit?
crowd: yes that is the exit.

then again the one person runs through it again saying
winning side (with crowd repeating right after them) and everybody pointing
losing side
playing court
scoreboard
exit

then the whole crowd ends it with saying Bye Bye slowly while waving their hands.
Last edited by Ming01 on Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby supermang57 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:15 pm

hey ming...thats accually sounds like a fun cheer to try...i wish i was still in high school to do it :(
supermang57
NDPreps Reserve

Postby NDSportsFan » Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:10 pm

I was reading a story about Sid Cichy and his favorite memories from coaching.  One of them was a story about when a large group of the Fargo North fans were swearing at the Shanley players and throwing rocks at them in the parking lot.  Sid said the players all started singing, "they will know we are christians"!  I had to laugh, it really put into perspective for me that things aren't really any worse than they have been, as far as sportsmanship.  If anything they have gotten a little better because of the awareness.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndbb » Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:47 pm

At a girls game once, A jamestown fan yelled out "Who let the dog's out?" at the Shanley girls, and after he yelled that the crowd around him, dressed in referee outfits i may add, yelled back "Who? Who? Who? Who? Who?"

That same game I also heard them chanting during a free throw, to a Twisted Sister Melody. No You're not gonna make, No You're Not gonna make it, Cause You struggle.
ndbb
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby quick-draw-mcgraw » Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:02 pm

those are some cool cheers. I should tell some of the kids from my town to start those cheers. Especially the twisted sister one.:dude:
quick-draw-mcgraw

Return to Boys