Does anybody think a Class B kid will get Mr.Basketball?

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby theefollman » Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:23 am

I am from a class A school and i look at a lot of these sites on Class A and B basketball. I would like to know if anyone thinks any of these guys can compare to Travis Mertens from Devils Lake. I believe he is probably a shoe in because he has averaged around 19.5 PPG and over 12 RPG since his sophomore season. Since he has came into the picture on the Varsity team for Devils Lake they have had some decent teams. Especially his Junior and now his senior year they have lost one game and have been the number one team in the state since early in the season. I feel some of these guys in Class B basketball are good players but the competition in Class B to Class A is so much different. You can not even say it isnt either. Some of the teams out there dont even have enough for younger teams. They have to take guys who would usually be playing JV or C squad b-ball and put them in as a starter for Varsity. Class A schools however get the chance to pick the best ones in the school. Most schools have to cut people that would probably be starting for some Class B team around the state. So I would like to know if anyone Compares to the big man from Devils Lake. Also im going to mention he leads the league in blocks. 
theefollman
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Rebel » Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:43 am

I don't think a class B kid will win, but I do think that this year there really are some kids that should be in the conversation. 

1.  Payton Tivis from Bowman was first team all state last year.  Averaged 25 ppg, 8 rpg, had like 80 steals and 80 some assists.  That is good basketball in the SW corner of the state as well.  This year his numbers are up from last year.

2.  Jaden Voth from Glenn Ullin is averagin 28 ppg and is probably the most athletic kid I have seen play.  Is like 5 foot 10 and dunks OVER people!!

3.  Ross Florhaug from PBK is a 6 4 guard that has range from all over.  Not sure on his numbers but I have heard that is he crazy good as well.

I think alot of the Class A studs and Class B studs played with and against each other during the summer time on AAU teams. It would be interesting to hear from someone who saw those games to see if these class B kids can stack up with the class A kids.
North Dakota Preps Hall of Fame Inductee
Rebel
NDPreps Starter

Postby ishouldawentPRO » Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:38 am

Tthere are just as many good players in class B, they are just spread around on more teams.  Mertens is good and will probably win Mr. Basketball, that's already been discussed.  Many of the good players in B could start on any team in the state, whether it's A or B. 

Many of the class A schools have enrollments of over  400 students in high school.  It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out why  they have a bigger deeper basketball team.   But there are 10 times as many class B schools so the overall number of good players will be similar.

Will a class B kid win it, yes they will.  This year, no.  Should anyone lose any sleep over it, definetly not.
ishouldawentPRO

Postby NATURAL TALENT » Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:12 am

Tivis, Voth and Florhaug definetely have a shot at  Mr. Basketball. Even more so if one of them makes it to state. I really dont think comparing, or even saying that a class A team is better than a class B team is legitimate.  I know very well that there are and have been some really good Class B teams that could give class A teams the jitters. I was on one that had 5 guys averaging double figures and as a team averaged 75+ and gave up 40. There are a lot of good teams in Class B. Class A kids are not some supernatural kids.....
NATURAL TALENT
NDPreps All-State

Postby Y-not Daily » Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:05 pm

I think part of it is that there is more media in the Class A towns, but a lot of it is exposure.

Almost half of the Class A teams make state and everyone gets to see the top A players and regionals and at state on TV.

It is a lot tougher for the top B players to make state, and even though the districts and regions are well-covered, the B guys don't have as much time on the big stage to be seen by the voters across the state.

If Bowman can't get out of Region 7, a lot of people around the state won't have a chance to see Tivis play. He has good stats, but a lot of Class B guys have good stats. It doesn't mean they should be Mr. Basketball winners or even candidates.

Y-not Daily

Postby West Dakota » Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:09 pm

Yes I think it will be tuff for a B player. I just wish a person was able to see all of the other talent that's out there, like you said there is allot of talent that you never get to see if they don't make it to the B.

The news crew was down from Bismarck to film Voth in his last home game, and do a story about him as an all state canidate.He and the bearcats put on quite a show that first quarter with alli oops and a 3 point shooting seminar.Of wich Voth was 4 of 4. And his double pump reverse at halftime was awesome!

It should be on the Bismark 5 sports report this week I would think. Did any of you see that sports spotlight last year on him when they showed the jet taking off and then him throwing down all kinds of crazy dunks in his street clothes?  Well if he doesn't make it to state at least he recieved some tv time!

If they don't vote him Mr. Basketball they should at least give him Mr. EXCITEMENT!:shock:
West Dakota
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby West Dakota » Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:11 pm

j
West Dakota
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby West Dakota » Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:13 pm

j
West Dakota
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ND_SportsNut » Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:18 pm

Y-not Daily, The way its set up now the A doesnt get TV time until the semifinals of state (all because of girls, but thats an arguement for another day) where B gets the first round, semis, and finals.
ND_SportsNut

Postby NDSportsFan » Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:43 pm

In the old days they even broadcast the boys regional tournament in the Minot area.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Trinity Titans 4 Life » Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:01 pm

I think Thomas Burke deserves to get Mr. Basketball, one he is the best looking ball player in the state, 2.He is the defensive stopper for the Bulldogs. Tivis, Ernst, Smith, Keithley, and Steiner also deserve it. Devan Stoldorf deserves to get Manager of the year, he is the most dedicated, hard working kid that I know.
Trinity Titans 4 Life

Postby Ming01 » Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:23 pm

Mertens will win Mr. Basketball.  Who knows when the next time a Class B player will win it...
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby 1337 » Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:01 pm

Y-not, can you give us any more clear a picture on the selection/voting process?
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Roughrider » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:44 am

i think someone from class B will win it. I guess i really havnt paid to much attention to any class A people but when you look at class b the first couple names that pop up are Tivis, Voth, Ernst, and Jeff Smith. Its hard to pick out of these four players because they are all good. but i do believe when they pick Mr. Basketball, it is finally going to end the 10 year drought of Class A winning it.
Roughrider

Postby monkeykiller_21 » Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:52 pm

Hey T T for life i totally agree about devan stoldorf.....that kid has an amazing work ethic and definatly deserves manager of the year.
monkeykiller_21

Postby Y-not Daily » Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:43 pm

Selection/nomination-wise... It's a bunch of broadcasters and sportswriters in a room. They throw out names and debate the day before the Class B tourney. People generally nominate players from their part of the state. They get it down to a managable number (five or six). They usually try to get an even number of nominees for both East and West and from A and B to make everyone happy.

Then the vote is done separately.
Y-not Daily

Postby 1337 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:08 am

Y-not Daily wrote:Selection/nomination-wise... It's a bunch of broadcasters and sportswriters in a room. They throw out names and debate the day before the Class B tourney. People generally nominate players from their part of the state. They get it down to a managable number (five or six). They usually try to get an even number of nominees for both East and West and from A and B to make everyone happy.

Then the vote is done separately.

I think that sounds reasonable enough.
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby rainmaker » Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:46 pm

Does anyone know the criteria for Mr. Basketball, like does it include grades, and other areas other than bball?? 
rainmaker
NDPreps Reserve

Postby 4 Winds Indians Hoops Fan » Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:02 pm

Let me tell you something Bandejo, just kidding, Travis Mertens is the closest thing to a Larry Birdlike athlete who you can tell just has a blast every time he's on the court.  The love of the game shows when he plays, he is actually kind of unconventional but that is the beauty behind his game, my favorite is when Devils Lake fails to get him touches for about 8 trips down the court then he just sais "screw it", grabs a board and hauls man on his own creating a fast break opportunity and sometimes he'll stop and pop and other times he'll take it to the rack like straight up "G".

I love my 4 winds boys but they rely on each other more than one guy, and without Travis Mertens, Devils Lake would be a subpar team. 

If I were coaching that young man, he'd be touching the ball every single time down the court because he has a great all around game and he stays aggressive 24-7. 

Ok enough tooting Mertens' horn, but how about high school hoops in the Lake Region area, Devils Lake and 4 Winds boys both ranked in the top 3 in state and the 4 winds Lady Indians 1 win away from going to state.  Good times........ Good times.

P.S. The Larry Bird comment may have been giving TM a little too much credit but he sure is fun to watch.

Buffalo Killer Out
4 Winds Indians Hoops Fan

Return to Boys