Top coaches in the state

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby thunderbaseball_38 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:27 am

thundastruck. wrote:
The Schwab wrote:Nope....but good guess....orriginally from finley

went to school at m-p-c-g-f-s ?

he's from finley
thunderbaseball_38

Postby The Schwab » Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:37 am

i simply asked him to tell me how they recruited Klabo's and Trudeau
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:46 am

agree
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby thundastruck. » Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:55 am

SCC wrote:
The Schwab wrote:i simply asked him to tell me how they recruited Klabo's and Trudeau

I realize what you're trying to say.  Those players were not recruited.  Now, let's get back to talking about the coaches.

I think region 2 is chock full of quality coaches.

Scc are you from mayville?
thundastruck.

Postby The Schwab » Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:04 am

why do you think that everyone who talks good about mayville is from mayville?
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby thundastruck. » Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:08 am

SCC wrote:district 3 area...that still has nothing to do with the title of this topic  --  it is now on the verge of closure

sorry.
thundastruck.

Postby The Schwab » Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:09 am

Some good coaches from arround the District 3 area are Dave Nelson, Elliot Rotvold, Jim Howson ( i realize he is a co coach/assistant w/e you wanna call it) just to name a few.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndspectator07 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:40 pm

[font=comic sans ms]Carr... yes, alot can be said about coach Carr.  Alot of good, I seriously wonder if any of you have been a parent to a player of his.  I have had many laughs from the players telling the stories of how coach Carr taught his players by being poor losers by his temper tantrums of kicking things in the locker room after the games, and crying so hard after some losses.  Part of being a great team and awesome winners is the ability to handle a loss and learn from it and still keep your heads up high.  When a player loses his spot on the team because of a family responsibility instead of making it to one day of a summer team camp, is that a good coach?  What happened to the day of the players respecting the coach as far as training rules, how many players were out for six weeks, and how many more should have been for coach Carr this year? And what ever happened to players playing in the town they live in instead of being recruited?  REMEMBER: not everything is as good as what it appears[/font]
ndspectator07

Postby bballfan_05 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:45 pm

ndspectator07 wrote:[font=comic sans ms]Carr... yes, alot can be said about coach Carr.  Alot of good, I seriously wonder if any of you have been a parent to a player of his.  I have had many laughs from the players telling the stories of how coach Carr taught his players by being poor losers by his temper tantrums of kicking things in the locker room after the games, and crying so hard after some losses.  Part of being a great team and awesome winners is the ability to handle a loss and learn from it and still keep your heads up high.  When a player loses his spot on the team because of a family responsibility instead of making it to one day of a summer team camp, is that a good coach?  What happened to the day of the players respecting the coach as far as training rules, how many players were out for six weeks, and how many more should have been for coach Carr this year? And what ever happened to players playing in the town they live in instead of being recruited?  REMEMBER: not everything is as good as what it appears[/font]

I'm not sure on the situation down there, but one cannot argue with what he has done over the years down there. Linton is always a respectable team even when they are rebuilding. IMO hes one of the best in the state, but then I've never played for the guy.
bballfan_05
NDPreps All-State

Postby baseball » Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:50 pm

ndspectator07 wrote:[font=comic sans ms]Carr... yes, alot can be said about coach Carr.  Alot of good, I seriously wonder if any of you have been a parent to a player of his.  I have had many laughs from the players telling the stories of how coach Carr taught his players by being poor losers by his temper tantrums of kicking things in the locker room after the games, and crying so hard after some losses.  Part of being a great team and awesome winners is the ability to handle a loss and learn from it and still keep your heads up high.  When a player loses his spot on the team because of a family responsibility instead of making it to one day of a summer team camp, is that a good coach?  What happened to the day of the players respecting the coach as far as training rules, how many players were out for six weeks, and how many more should have been for coach Carr this year? And what ever happened to players playing in the town they live in instead of being recruited?  REMEMBER: not everything is as good as what it appears[/font]

about your recruiting thing.....i know the kid your talking about personally and he did tell me Carr made numerous phone calls to him as an 8th grader about coming over to Linton......thats the dumebst thing ive ever heard...hahahahahaha
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby ace » Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:00 pm

Ron Carlson is a great coach, i heard he was retiring after this year and moving to like the hankison area, if that is true i hope everything goes well for him and he will be known for one of the best coaches in North Dakota basketball history.
ace
NDPreps Starter

Postby boysbballfan » Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:18 pm

I think Dan Glasser has been doing a good job at Richardton Taylor in is first or secound year. They hustle every game and play very good as a team. Don't be surprised if they knock off Hazen, Trinity Beualah or Killdeer at districts.
"If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?"
--Vince Lombardi
boysbballfan
NDPreps Starter

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:15 pm

region 2 definitely has some of the best coaches around, jeremy brandt is a good coach who has just been on the short end of the stick of having many quality players.  he always has a couple guys that can shoot and score well but CV hasn't had a good big man sing curt hong and that is a big factor in CV's struggles in recent seasons.  Region 2 usually has some of the bigger guys in the state year in and year out and without some big men to compete its going to be tough.  Rob Scherr in PR has always done a nice job with his players and doesn't take anything from any player, last year he and moe didn't always see eye to eye (which has changed this year) and he would bench him for almost an entire quarter as to say im not gonna let you on the floor if you're not going to play hard.  scherr has a good assistant coach larry omdahl who has varsity coaching experience back in fordville lankins glory days.  I've already gone into great detail about NB's coach symington.  Keith Hartz from cavalier could be a good coach in the future.  this year he had to start with a completely different look from last years team, he's been a referee for years so he knows the game well.  In a few years when Cavaliers younger players develop the will be right there again.
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby GRIDIRON GURU » Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:19 am

bballfan_05 wrote:

I'm not sure on the situation down there, but one cannot argue with what he has done over the years down there. Linton is always a respectable team even when they are rebuilding. IMO hes one of the best in the state, but then I've never played for the guy.

I would rather have my son play for Dan Carr rather than some slug who doesn't make winning a priority, and is just going through the motions of being a coach and cheating young men by setting them up for failure.

To me that is much more damaging than a temper tantrum after a loss.  As far as losing a position because of missing a team camp, I find it acceptable for a coach to do so but most likely your son or you  use it as an excuse.

You have no clue how lucky you are to have a quality coach. It's funny how people take things for granted I am sure there are a lot of parents who would gladly trade coaches.
Last edited by GRIDIRON GURU on Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
"One thing you have to remember Bobby, soccer was invented in europe by women, so they would have something to do while the men stayed home and did the dishes"
Hank Hill
GRIDIRON GURU
NDPreps All-State

Postby thundastruck. » Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:02 am

GRIDIRON GURU wrote:
bballfan_05 wrote:

I would rather have my son play for Dan Carr rather than some slug who doesn't make winning a priority, and is just going through the motions of being a coach and cheating young men by setting them up for failure.

To me that is much more damaging than a temper tantrum after a loss.  As far as losing a position because of missing a team camp, I find it acceptable for a coach to do so but most likely your son or you  use it as an excuse.

You have no clue how lucky you are to have a quality coach. It's funny how people take things for granted I am sure there are a lot of parents who would gladly trade coaches.

As far as losing a position because of missing a team camp, I find it acceptable for a coach to do so but most likely your son or you  use it as an excuse.

acceptable losing your spot for missing team camp in the summer.  you cant be serious and think thats right.
thundastruck.

Postby GRIDIRON GURU » Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:40 am

As far as losing a position because of missing a team camp, I find it acceptable for a coach to do so but most likely your son or you  use it as an excuse.

acceptable losing your spot for missing team camp in the summer.  you cant be serious and think thats right.

I am serious, and if you want to know what sets coaches like Dan Carr apart from the others it's things like this.

I believe the more one sacrifices himself for the team in the off season the more likley that player will not let the team down during the season.

If the player in question's priority is with family, thats great, I would respect that, it's just that he would probably be playing JV and would support the team as a role player.

"One thing you have to remember Bobby, soccer was invented in europe by women, so they would have something to do while the men stayed home and did the dishes"
Hank Hill
GRIDIRON GURU
NDPreps All-State

Postby baller01 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:59 am

GRIDIRON GURU wrote:

I am serious, and if you want to know what sets coaches like Dan Carr apart from the others it's things like this.

I believe the more one sacrifices himself for the team in the off season the more likley that player will not let the team down during the season.

If the player in question's priority is with family, thats great, I would respect that, it's just that he would probably be playing JV and would support the team as a role player.

Believe me, that isn't the only reason. Grid Guru you are a very smart man. Everything you say there is true. Coach Carr doesn't ask anything of his kids that he wouldn't do. He had them all (well most of them all) on a weight program before school last spring. Some guys lifted from 6:30 till 8 or 7 till 8, depending on there workout. Some of them were 2 days a week and some were 3 or 4 days a week. Mr. Carr was in there 5 days a week even though he didn't have to be.
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ndsportsfan98 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:31 am

Many parents probably critiscize Coach Carr and his way of doing things.  Gridiron Guru nailed it when he said that this is what sets Carr (& Linton) apart from other coaches and programs.  He demands that the kids work for what they get, and does not let them take the easy way out.  Look at the tradition of Linton basketball, & athletics as a whole.  Not often do you find coaches who have had the longetivity as Imdieke, Carr and Flyberg.  Kids buy into the offseason training, and camps etc, and for those who don't, they simply will find another player that will.  I can't comment on all of the incidents, and whether they or right or wrong.  People may have a right to be upset about a certain incident, you think this doesn't happen in Class A schools?  But you can't argue with the results that these coaches have put up. 
ndsportsfan98
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby PA42 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:09 am

curt herman from dakota prairie and bill engel from gcc are both very good coaches who don't have a lot to work with.
PA42

Postby ohiostate31 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:20 am

Nate Monson from Carrington has really brought the team around. From being 9-12 and already being 12-5 that is a real impressive jump!!!
ohiostate31

Postby rep » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:36 am

ohiostate31 wrote:Nate Monson from Carrington has really brought the team around. From being 9-12 and already being 12-5 that is a real impressive jump!!!

watching carrington play at last year's stutsman and watching carrington play at this year's stutsman were night and day comparissons.

hate to knock the other coach, but monson just seemed to be able to pull more ability or effort or something out of his kids...just him being the coach made them waaaay better.
rep

Postby point/center » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:25 am

year after year team after team town after town Perry Piatz always puts a decent team on the floor
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndspectator07 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:24 pm

[font=comic sans ms]I do agree with alot of the points that you all are making.  Dan Carr (along with Dan Imdieke) has given my sons alot of lessons outside of sports such as respect for others as well as themselves, on or off the court/field, determination for success, and to never give up.  For the record, my youngest has been out of school for a few years and have played for both coaches.  I may not agree with everything, but both of them have my respect and thanks for being role models.  Any comments I may make, which I do not intend to offend anyone are made from past experience and being an avid fan of the Linton Lions.  Unfortunately, class b towns you find out what goes on with the teams/coaches no matter if you have family still playing or not.  Good luck to Dan Carr and the team in the tournaments coming up, will be there supporting you as always, and look forward to watching the team in yet another state tournament.[/font]
ndspectator07

Postby bballer2 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:59 am

ndspectator07 wrote:[font=comic sans ms] will be there supporting you as always, and look forward to watching the team in yet another state tournament.[/font]

is that a call out to lamoure?
bballer2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndspectator07 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:08 am

[font=comic sans ms]Not at all, I would say that it will either be Linton, or Lamoure, but of course, I am going for Linton.  Remember the region final between Linton and Lamoure in 2004? What a game that was.  Looked like Lamoure had it in the bag the first half until Linton turned it around the second half and won it.  That's one game I will never forget.[/font]
ndspectator07

PreviousNext

Return to Boys