Top coaches in the state

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby bballfan_05 » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:28 am

SCC wrote:
bballfan_05 wrote:
rep wrote:
baller01 wrote:
SCC wrote:
baller01 wrote:I'm going to have to say Dave Nelson is the best coach in the state. Not only does he win a lot of game, he wins the big ones. How many state championships has he won?

I thought 4? 1996 and 1997 MPCG won back-2-back as in 2002 and 2003. Unless he wasn't coaching in 1996 and 1997 like I thought he was. He has also been there quite a few times.

del ray kessler was coaching the teams in the mid to late 90s
The 1996-1997 teams were unreal if memory serves me correctly. They were all like 6'5" or taller for the starting 5, basically unheard of in ND high school basketball let alone Class B.

http://www.prairiepublic.org/features/classB/best.htm
Interesting little article about those teams on that site.
bballfan_05
NDPreps All-State

Postby baller01 » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:42 am

bballfan_05 wrote:
SCC wrote:
bballfan_05 wrote:
rep wrote:
baller01 wrote:
SCC wrote:
baller01 wrote:I'm going to have to say Dave Nelson is the best coach in the state. Not only does he win a lot of game, he wins the big ones. How many state championships has he won?

I thought 4? 1996 and 1997 MPCG won back-2-back as in 2002 and 2003. Unless he wasn't coaching in 1996 and 1997 like I thought he was. He has also been there quite a few times.

del ray kessler was coaching the teams in the mid to late 90s
The 1996-1997 teams were unreal if memory serves me correctly. They were all like 6'5" or taller for the starting 5, basically unheard of in ND high school basketball let alone Class B.

http://www.prairiepublic.org/features/classB/best.htm
Interesting little article about those teams on that site.

When did Dave Nelson start coaching at MPCG?
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby rep » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:44 am

i think in 99 or somewhere around then...maybe 2000

del went from being a social studies teacher to the principal and i think didn't have enough time to keep doing the coaching thing. can't remember, did tim kraft coach for a year or two in there?
rep

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:02 pm

rep wrote:i think in 99 or somewhere around then...maybe 2000

del went from being a social studies teacher to the principal and i think didn't have enough time to keep doing the coaching thing. can't remember, did tim kraft coach for a year or two in there?

Dave Nelson's first season was 1999-2000, Craig's freshmen year.  Of course he was criticized for starting craig on varsity right away but if you watched him play and then watch the players some people thought should play, it was a no brainer.  I think tim kraft coached for travis kraft's junior and senior season.
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby toughregion2 » Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:03 pm

I have to give my props to Cooter Symington as one of the top coaches in the state.  Look as his record since taking over.   North Border was used to playing  in the play in games to get into the district tourney.  He took a team that finished 4 in the district and played into the region championship and lost in overtime on a botched call by keith hartzs the now tornadoes coach.  The next year the new North Border co-op won the state b championship in which they were not expected to get out of the first round.  Fargo  oak grove #2 in the state than took out power Dickenson Trinity #3 in the state and than took out a undefeted  and #1 rated  cando team that beat him by 30 earlier in the year.  Since that year i believe North border has played in the region championship  4 out of  5 years. I would say that is stats of a coach that should be mentioned.  I may be biass but i would say Region 2 has been one of the toughest regions in the state for years  now.
toughregion2

Postby ndfan » Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:22 am

Don't totally disagree with ya about Cooter, and I love how ya blamed a Cavalier guy for losing (it puts a smile on my face). Just wondering how Cooter did before he got the whole upper side of Pembina County?
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby toughregion2 » Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:04 am

He never coached before this i am not sure how long he was with the bandits before the co-op but it wasnt that long 4 years or so...
toughregion2

Postby ndsbest44 » Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:52 am

Year in and year out the best coaches are Dan Carr, Dave Nelson, and Greg Grinsteiner
ndsbest44
NDPreps Starter

Postby NATURAL TALENT » Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:24 pm

ndsbest44 wrote:Year in and year out the best coaches are Dan Carr, Dave Nelson, and Greg Grinsteiner

Are you kidding me. Those guys are all great coaches but Ron Carlson has been in the business for 30+ years and has countless Ramsey Co. Tourney titles(the most of any other team in the tourney) and countless District titles. If I am correct he is #2 on the all time (active) coaches list for wins. He's a great teacher of the game. I dont remember the last time he has had a losing season, if he even has.
NATURAL TALENT
NDPreps All-State

Postby cubsfan » Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:34 am

Dave Nelson did as good as a coaching job tonight as i have ever seen.  Beating Kindred without having Luke Lorenz, great job. 
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby fightingsioux20 » Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:36 pm

Ron Carlson is a great coach
fightingsioux20
NDPreps Starter

Postby feeshattack » Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:09 pm

I agree with ndsbest, nelson, carr, and grinnsteiner are all great coaches. All have had much sucess in there time that they have been there and taken many teams to the state tourneys.
"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond all measure."
feeshattack
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby farmer » Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:41 pm

Ron Carlson has averaged 18 wins per season since 1975.  Pulling great teams out of very small student populations.
farmer
NDPreps Rookie

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:54 pm

ndfan wrote:Don't totally disagree with ya about Cooter, and I love how ya blamed a Cavalier guy for losing (it puts a smile on my face). Just wondering how Cooter did before he got the whole upper side of Pembina County?

Since cooter took over, the north border bandits/eagles have only not made regionals maybe twice.  his greatest aspect as a coach is how he can get a team ready for one game.  he's an amazing coach to have during games, he's a great scout and tells his guys how to contain/stop other teams best players and NB usually does a good job of it.  Since 2001 when we took state we have placed in regionals every year except 2003 when larimore beat us in the first round.  before that he had placed in regionals for 3 consecutive years as well and we were always a tough out in regionals.  in travis kraft's senior year we played may port cg in the semi finals and lost to them by i think 6 or 8 points and help kraft in check using multiple defenders to tire him out.  cooter is very good at making adjustments throughout a game to put his team in the best position to win.   
Last edited by north_border_eagles2106 on Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Indians Alumni » Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:37 am

My vote is still with Coach Rick Smith, Four Winds.  He has built a solid program yet again this year.  Four Winds wasn't given a snowballs chance this year and yet he has put together another winning team.  I would like to see back-to-back coach of the year awards given to Mr Smith!
It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. ~Muhammed Ali
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby thesports_guy32 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:39 am

a snowballs chance? what are you talking about? who didn't give them a chance?
thesports_guy32

Postby Indians Alumni » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:01 am

Beginning of this season.  I heard it on this board that FW wasn't going to be good as last year, I think they have a better squad this year!
It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. ~Muhammed Ali
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:30 am

I dont see how they could have a better team this year, ironheart is the only starter returning and it's not even a guarantee they'll make it back to state this year.  Last year we knew year round that only injuries were going to stop FW from making state.  I woulnd't say that people were giving them a snowballs chance to be good this year, but I would agree that last years team was probably better.
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby hoop_fan1 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:52 am

I have to agree MPCG was the most dominant, imposing team- back in 95-99.  With a better coach(if nelson had been coach starting in 1995)  I think they should have went to state atleast 2 more years and atleast one more state title.  They had many weapons even in 1995 and 1996.  Leclair, Jacobson, Klabo were dunking the ball in 8th grade!!!  Not that dunking defines how good you are, but it just puts into perspective the athletes that MPCG had.
hoop_fan1
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Rocky » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:15 am

Lets divide this into two categories...We know that the best coaches are the veterans such as Carr, Nelson, etc. In order to be a great coach you have to be around for a long time.

Who do you see as the up and coming coaches? Guys who have shown things, but havent had the chance to prove them over a long period of time.
Rocky
NDPreps Reserve

Postby thesports_guy32 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:06 am

Mike Hanson up in Grafton has done a pretty good job with those boys. He's really turned that young team around from last year.
thesports_guy32

Postby Claz B Fan » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:31 pm

Mike Gaukler from Hankinson is having an excellent year (14-0) Although is does help having a player like Jamie Mauch
Claz B Fan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby feeshattack » Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:51 pm

grinnsteiner and nelson both have had very successful programs over the past 10 years and have established great prestige

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond all measure."
feeshattack
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby power-aid14 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:06 pm

prestige.....haha..........                                     haha....prestige
flippin idiot
power-aid14
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:22 pm

thesports_guy32 wrote:Mike Hanson up in Grafton has done a pretty good job with those boys. He's really turned that young team around from last year.

absolutely... they already have more wins this year then last years 5-15 record and have beat good teams this year.
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

PreviousNext

Return to Boys