What is the Rule on this?

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby The Schwab » Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:49 am

At the HN vs. FSHP game in Finley last night, and a play happend at the end of the game that 1. made me very angry and 2. wanting to know the rule about this. I will try to set up the situation for you. It was a 3 possesion game (with FSHP in the lead) and FSHP was taking the ball out under the basket, HN was pressing, there was about 11 seconds give or take. I'm not going to use any names on here but eventually with about 7 seconds left FSHP broke the press and got it past the half line and were just running out the clock. Then out of the corner of my eye I saw a player from FSHP jogging up the sideline, he was the one who took it out of bounds and was a little behind the play, then out of nowhere a HN player blind sided him, one of the cheapest fouls i've ever seen. The FSHP player went flying into the stage, which for those of you who havent been to the Finley gym, runs along the sideline. The Ref who was trailing the play saw the whole thing, He gave the kid from HN an intentional foul. The thing that i was wondering is, If he had been kicked out (IMO he should have) what is the punishment for that, is it the rest of that game and the next? or is it differnt....i was just wondering your guys's opinon on this matter....Thanks..
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby rkmt » Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:56 am

I believe had he been ejected, he'd have sat a game.  As far as opinion, by your account, it sounds ridiculous, and if it were that blatant of an intentional foul away from the ball, and the ref saw it and called it, then he probably should have been ejected too.  But since I wasn't there, I can't really say.
rkmt
NDPreps Starter

Postby rkmt » Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:56 am

Also, I haven't seen that many players ejected from high school basketball games.  So I don't know what it takes for a ref to do that.
Last edited by rkmt on Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
rkmt
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndbasketballfan007 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:19 am

If he is ejected from the game, he would have to sit the next game as well.
ndbasketballfan007
NDPreps Starter

Postby coachk » Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:54 am

if player or coach is ejected they miss the next game as well. It is up to the refree on ejecting players or coaches or even fans. I can't imagine a coach even telling or letting a player commit a foul that could cause serious injury. Hopefully this player did it out of frustration and not by a coaching decision. If the coach did then he needs to re-evaluate his coaching.
coachk

Postby Photo-man-Bob » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:09 am

[user=1143]coachk[/user] wrote:
if player or coach is ejected they miss the next game as well. It is up to the refree on ejecting players or coaches or even fans. I can't imagine a coach even telling or letting a player commit a foul that could cause serious injury. Hopefully this player did it out of frustration and not by a coaching decision. If the coach did then he needs to re-evaluate his coaching.

Definitey was not a coaching decision I can tell you that.
Kids get frustrated, they act out - it was unfortunate that it happened, and was so blatant I don't know why there wasn't an ejection, but judging by the look Coach Konschack gave the young man, I'm sure he won't be playing next game ANYWAY.
Photo-man-Bob

Postby thesports_guy32 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:19 pm

it is the rest of the game and the next. actually i saw an ejection at a girls game but in a much different situation. the girl was getting up from a pile, so to speak, on the floor and "kicked" the other girl in the head. it was a questionable call.... so this brings up another question. when is an ejection neccesary and when is a technical enough?
thesports_guy32

Postby The Schwab » Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:27 pm

I think an ejection is necessary when you go out of your way to physically hurt someone.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flyer » Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:34 pm

First of all the penalty is he/she is kicked out of that game and the next. Secondly, I feel that anytime a player is deliberately trying to hit, kick or hurt/injure another player then that player should be ejected. I do not feel that any coach or player can disagree with when the saftey of their players or the players themselves is threatened then an ejection should be obvious. Get them out of there!! I know if I was coaching that player would be done for the day, he would be running in practice then next, and he would not be playing the next game, whether he was kicked out or not. 
Flyer

Postby Thunder66 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:43 pm

I literally had a front row seat to the incident as the fouled player landed on my teamate sitting next to me and i can tell you that there wasn't a person in that gym who sided with the Thunder player who committed the foul, coach Konschak was VERY angry and the player wasn't even dressed for tonight's game against DP
Thunder66

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:46 pm

that sounds like a fair punishment, i bet the next time practice rolls around he's gonna have a blast
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Indians Alumni » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:19 am

north_border_eagles2106 wrote:that sounds like a fair punishment, i bet the next time practice rolls around he's gonna have a blast

That kid was probably ran, and rightfully so, to the ground!  There is no room in any sporting event or arena for that type of behavior.  Was the kid fouled ok? 
It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. ~Muhammed Ali
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby The Schwab » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:31 am

Indians Alumni wrote:
north_border_eagles2106 wrote:that sounds like a fair punishment, i bet the next time practice rolls around he's gonna have a blast

That kid was probably ran, and rightfully so, to the ground!  There is no room in any sporting event or arena for that type of behavior.  Was the kid fouled ok? 

what do you mean by was the kid fouled ok? i dont understand what your asking?
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby region1 football » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:32 am

The Schwab wrote:
Indians Alumni wrote:

what do you mean by was the kid fouled ok? i dont understand what your asking?

i think he was implying was the kid hurt..or was he not hurt.
region1 football
NDPreps Starter

Postby The Schwab » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:34 am

Oh ok...Yes i believe he is ok? but he was fighting a back injury, and a blow like that could have made that worse.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indians Alumni » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:50 am

The Schwab wrote:Oh ok...Yes i believe he is ok? but he was fighting a back injury, and a blow like that could have made that worse.

Either way that type of play does not belong anywhere!  If the refs didn't do anything, his coach should have done something! 
It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. ~Muhammed Ali
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Thunder66 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:38 am

his coach did do something, he pulled him from the game and suspended him for the next one, which is what the punishment would have been had he been ejected from the game by the referee
Thunder66

Postby rep » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:09 am

Thunder66 wrote:his coach did do something, he pulled him from the game and suspended him for the next one, which is what the punishment would have been had he been ejected from the game by the referee

i like the hn coach...he seems to really be doing everything the right way.
rep

Postby The Schwab » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:02 am

umm....yes i like the job he is doing with Hatton-Northwood.....but with all due respect there was 4 seconds left in the game....so pulling him out of the game wasnt that big of a deal.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby rep » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:04 am

The Schwab wrote:umm....yes i like the job he is doing with Hatton-Northwood.....but with all due respect there was 4 seconds left in the game....so pulling him out of the game wasnt that big of a deal.

absolutely, but it would have been worse in my mind had he left the kid out there...i think he's making a point that isn't how his team is going to be run
rep

Postby The Schwab » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:08 am

well that is great....I would like to go to a couple more games and see if that players playing time will be affected.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indians Alumni » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:11 am

Kids, make mistakes, I hope he learned his lesson, if not too sad.  But he would definately be on probation, the next step would be being totally kicked off! 
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby The Schwab » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:14 am

I understand that kids make mistakes.....but if you would have seen this play in person i wonder if you would still think he deserves a second chance?
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby rep » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:21 am

The Schwab wrote:I understand that kids make mistakes.....but if you would have seen this play in person i wonder if you would still think he deserves a second chance?

everyone deserves a second chance. a third chance, that is debateable. but i think it is a pretty valuable lesson to learn that you screwed up and to become a better person because of it. hope the kid can.
rep

Postby The Schwab » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:25 am

hey look guys? i'm not tryin to say that this kid doesnt deserve a second chance....but when i see a kid take a shot like the FSHP kid did.....i just wonder....could have jepordized his career....one of the most unsportsmanlike plays i have ever seen
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Next

Return to Boys