1/22/07 Poll

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby baseball » Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:35 am

nativegolfer - dont get outta the Four Winds school district much do ya??  your the bigger part of my "think four winds should be #1 with the 4-8 record" theory.  DT gave hazen their only loss, four winds beat wells county...nothing against wells but hazen is a little bit bigger of a win everyone out of four winds will admit.  but to sit here and complain the polls and mr bball voting is flawed because four winds isnt higher and tony ironheart isnt already given the award is just stupid.  get out of your region, let alone your school district, and watch some teams and maybe youll understand why they are still in the polls.  maybe for next year it should be a rule starting with the 8th game of the year.....if your undefeated you go straight to the top of the polls? sounds like a good idea to me.  and if you get 2 losses well your kicked out of the polls until less then 10 teams left in the state have less then 2 losses.  thats a good system huh??

please explain to me how you think the polls should work, im interested to here that idea??  four winds #1, undefeated teams, followed by 1 loss teams, and so on......
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indians Alumni » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:02 am

baseball wrote:
nativegolfer wrote:Whatever happened to putting all the undefeats in the top of the poll and so forth?  Why are there teams with 2 losses ahead of undefeats and 1 loss teams?  Thats the way it used to be done not to many years ago.  Unless everyone of these bozos who votes watches all the teams play and can give totally objective input then there shouldn't be a poll.  All it is now is a beauty contest.  I just hate polls in every sport and every level! 

the 10 best records dont automatically get the top 10 spots in the polls.  its in the voters minds who is the top 10.  just like a few people on here think Four Winds should be #1 if they had a 4-8 record, its a matter of opinion.  different voters will give different top 10s.  its jsut a matter of whos being paid to pick them.

What an ignorant statement! 

Baseball don't try to get in a battle of wit.  It would be like taking a knife to a gun fight! 

No the press has their favorite teams, I do agree with this poll somewhat, like Beulah, they have two losses and should not even be considered, or they just get a vote! 

FW has yet again, has to come from the bottom again, yet they get little respect.  Their only loss is in a game that the ball could have gone either way!  They handled WC! 

It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. ~Muhammed Ali
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Indians Alumni » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:10 am

baseball wrote:nativegolfer - dont get outta the Four Winds school district much do ya??  your the bigger part of my "think four winds should be #1 with the 4-8 record" theory.  DT gave hazen their only loss, four winds beat wells county...nothing against wells but hazen is a little bit bigger of a win everyone out of four winds will admit.  but to sit here and complain the polls and mr bball voting is flawed because four winds isnt higher and tony ironheart isnt already given the award is just stupid.  get out of your region, let alone your school district, and watch some teams and maybe youll understand why they are still in the polls.  maybe for next year it should be a rule starting with the 8th game of the year.....if your undefeated you go straight to the top of the polls? sounds like a good idea to me.  and if you get 2 losses well your kicked out of the polls until less then 10 teams left in the state have less then 2 losses.  thats a good system huh??

please explain to me how you think the polls should work, im interested to here that idea??  four winds #1, undefeated teams, followed by 1 loss teams, and so on......

let me jump in here on this one!  First of all, Four Winds only one loss and why is teams like Beulah in the top ten, they have more losses then everyone below them.  As far as getting out of the region, do you honestly go to other regions to watch games?  I don't think so, so don't sit there with your wanna be "ESPN, Cold Pizza, FSN" type of analysis, and tell me that Four Winds with one loss should be below Beulah, or any other team up there with one loss!  Definately shouldn't be a team with two losses higher than teams with with less! 

According to your "opinion"  why isn't DT rated higher than Hazen?  I would love to here you explaination on that?  And tell us that "its jsut a matter of whos being paid to pick them." isn't going to cut it!  (might want to spell check next time also, just discredits your post!)
Last edited by Indians Alumni on Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. ~Muhammed Ali
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby bbjay » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:12 am

Yeah i can agree with that, the only reason Beulah is still ranked is becasue they started the year off as #1....they'll lose more and eventually fall out though.  The polls are there for nothing else than discussion....tournament time will weed out the pretenders
Last edited by bbjay on Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
75% of the time..it works every time.
bbjay
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby The Schwab » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:26 am

IMO the people who vote for the polls take in to account the strength of the district/region....and that is why IMO that those teams are ranked ahead of Four Winds....I'm not saying that Region 4 is bad, in fact I think that region is very tough...but Region 7 is the strongest it's been in recent memory. All of the teams that are in the top 10 and who recieve votes are very good teams....and no matter how they are ranked there are going to be people who feel the are getting the short end of the stick....but you know what? who cares....the only thing that matters is who's still playing when the state tourney rolls arround.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby rep » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:26 am

i think that the high school poll is not different from the top 25 college basketball or football polls - if you think that those voters are watching every game from every team, you are kidding yourself.

and as far as a team like beaulah being ahead of teams with fewer losses, i think that while some people may start each week fresh and look at each poll in a vacuum, other voters take into consideration where teams started the season ranked. my guess is more do the latter versus the former.

beaulah started the season at no. 1 and i'm fairly sure another loss by them should drop them out of the polls. i haven't figured out why four winds hasn't gotten more state-wide love, i figured that between making state last year and getting that exposure, along with ironheart coming back and putting up some impressive numbers they would be ranked higher, but with a composite poll that is the nature of the beast - one person's thoughts don't mean much more than a percentage of what goes into the poll.

with over half the season over, there are quite a few teams with pretty decent records in the state, but pretenders will be beaten and there are quite a few district games that haven't been played yet between a lot of the upper-tier teams. those will decide a lot.

and in the end, i have yet to see a school with a trophy in the case for where they finished in the polls.
rep

Postby Indians Alumni » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:29 am

rep wrote:i think that the high school poll is not different from the top 25 college basketball or football polls - if you think that those voters are watching every game from every team, you are kidding yourself.

and as far as a team like beaulah being ahead of teams with fewer losses, i think that while some people may start each week fresh and look at each poll in a vacuum, other voters take into consideration where teams started the season ranked. my guess is more do the latter versus the former.

beaulah started the season at no. 1 and i'm fairly sure another loss by them should drop them out of the polls. i haven't figured out why four winds hasn't gotten more state-wide love, i figured that between making state last year and getting that exposure, along with ironheart coming back and putting up some impressive numbers they would be ranked higher, but with a composite poll that is the nature of the beast - one person's thoughts don't mean much more than a percentage of what goes into the poll.

with over half the season over, there are quite a few teams with pretty decent records in the state, but pretenders will be beaten and there are quite a few district games that haven't been played yet between a lot of the upper-tier teams. those will decide a lot.

and in the end, i have yet to see a school with a trophy in the case for where they finished in the polls.
I like that! 
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby nativegolfer » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:57 am

Baseballer - You never heard me say FW should be #1.  There's only one way to determine who's no. 1.  My solution to the polls is to eliminate them!!  They serve absolutely no purpose but to have people stuff and moan. 
nativegolfer
NDPreps All-State

Postby baseball » Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:06 am

nativegolfer wrote:Baseballer - You never heard me say FW should be #1.  There's only one way to determine who's no. 1.  My solution to the polls is to eliminate them!!  They serve absolutely no purpose but to have people crap and moan. 

elimination would be a good case maybe, but they also give some of these small towns something to talk about during the week.  "Hey, did ya see we cracked the top 10 for the first time in 6 years?" its a good topic of conversation. but honestly i havent seen anyone "crap and moan" about them anymore then you and Indian Alumni.

P.S. sorry for any spelling mistakes Alumni....
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indians Alumni » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:00 am

baseball wrote:
nativegolfer wrote:Baseballer - You never heard me say FW should be #1.  There's only one way to determine who's no. 1.  My solution to the polls is to eliminate them!!  They serve absolutely no purpose but to have people crap and moan. 

elimination would be a good case maybe, but they also give some of these small towns something to talk about during the week.  "Hey, did ya see we cracked the top 10 for the first time in 6 years?" its a good topic of conversation. but honestly i havent seen anyone "crap and moan" about them anymore then you and Indian Alumni.

If you consider proving your point or arguing it Crap, then I guess I should sit back and give my opinion.  I mean, I will just let you and others talk up their teams.  Ok, that lasted 2 seconds! 

Polls are good in the fact it gives teams something to shoot for, and if that is tainted by voters that in the pocket of these teams, you mentioned it prior, it is a shame. 

I am speaking for my team and the team I am a fan for, I am not going to change that and I am always going to speak my mind, I mean isn't that what this forum was created for?  It is not all Butterflies and Ice Cream here! 
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby mat326 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:23 am

Beulah's losses are to Hazen and Watford City.  Both are rated above them.  Beat R-T and TLM, two teams getting votes.  Strength of schedule does matter.
mat326
NDPreps Reserve

Postby sodadrinker » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:29 am

Indians Alumni wrote:
baseball wrote:
nativegolfer wrote:Whatever happened to putting all the undefeats in the top of the poll and so forth?  Why are there teams with 2 losses ahead of undefeats and 1 loss teams?  Thats the way it used to be done not to many years ago.  Unless everyone of these bozos who votes watches all the teams play and can give totally objective input then there shouldn't be a poll.  All it is now is a beauty contest.  I just hate polls in every sport and every level! 

the 10 best records dont automatically get the top 10 spots in the polls.  its in the voters minds who is the top 10.  just like a few people on here think Four Winds should be #1 if they had a 4-8 record, its a matter of opinion.  different voters will give different top 10s.  its jsut a matter of whos being paid to pick them.

Baseball don't try to get in a battle of wit.  It would be like taking a knife to a gun fight! 

No the press has their favorite teams, I do agree with this poll somewhat, like Beulah, they have two losses and should not even be considered, or they just get a vote! 

FW has yet again, has to come from the bottom again, yet they get little respect.  Their only loss is in a game that the ball could have gone either way!  They handled WC! 

handled WC haha i like that
you shouldnt throw stones if you live in a glass house and if you got a glass jaw you should watch your mouth
sodadrinker
NDPreps All-State

Postby nike07 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:31 am

sodadrinker wrote:
Indians Alumni wrote:
baseball wrote:

handled WC haha i like that
me too, just look though, both those 2 people are from four winds sayin that they handled fess., i heard fess should have won and four winds isint as good as they think they are
nike07
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:33 am

Indians Alumni wrote:
baseball wrote:

If you consider proving your point or arguing it Crap, then I guess I should sit back and give my opinion.  I mean, I will just let you and others talk up their teams.  Ok, that lasted 2 seconds! 

Polls are good in the fact it gives teams something to shoot for, and if that is tainted by voters that in the pocket of these teams, you mentioned it prior, it is a shame. 

I am speaking for my team and the team I am a fan for, I am not going to change that and I am always going to speak my mind, I mean isn't that what this forum was created for?  It is not all Butterflies and Ice Cream here! 

so why do u get stuff when i speak my mind????:? and never once did i say one team was better then another
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby nike07 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:35 am

baseball wrote:
Indians Alumni wrote:
baseball wrote:

so why do u get stuff when i speak my mind????:? and never once did i say one team was better then another
no kidding, u four winds indians fans sure think your team is the best, just because they went to state last year dosent mean their gonna this year! baseball cant even say anything without you two jumping on him because he didnt say four winds was the greatest!
nike07
NDPreps Starter

Postby Indians Alumni » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:36 am

Fellas, I am sorry but what is their record again, and who did they already lose to?  So don't give me your crybaby:sob: remarks about WC.  They lost Accept it!  Even if you don't, they lost!  It is in the record books!

And yes handled them, causing 20 Turnovers! 
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby nike07 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:37 am

Indians Alumni wrote:Fellas, I am sorry but what is their record again, and who did they already lose to?  So don't give me your crybaby:sob: remarks about WC.  They lost Accept it!  Even if you don't, they lost!  It is in the record books!

that just means four winds didnt play that great on offense, to only win by 8 after creating 20 turnovers, wow, so maybe next time if wc dosent have 20 turnovers wc will win!
nike07
NDPreps Starter

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:39 am

I dont see why state polls matter anyway.  They don't determine who teams will play in state based on their rank.  I think the state should go to that if they are going to put out polls every week they should have them mean something more then the bragging rights.  If after the region championship games they had a poll of the 8 teams going to state and set it up with 1 playing 8, 2 playing 7, 3 playing 6, and 4 playing 5 we would see probably a better state tournament with a higher chance of the two best teams playing for the championship.  Whenever a team I was on was ranked we would here it around school and from our fans and then it gets into your head and thats when a team will lose a game or two they have no business losing.
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby pacod » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:40 am

Thats a stupid comment nike. Well maybe wells has less turn overs and Four WInds stepped up there offense a lil more, it could go on all night. You could say all kinds of would ifs and could ofs. Simple fact Four Winds pulled off the W.
pacod

Postby Indians Alumni » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:41 am

nike07 wrote:
Indians Alumni wrote:Fellas, I am sorry but what is their record again, and who did they already lose to?  So don't give me your crybaby:sob: remarks about WC.  They lost Accept it!  Even if you don't, they lost!  It is in the record books!

that just means four winds didnt play that great on offense, to only win by 8 after creating 20 turnovers, wow, so maybe next time if wc dosent have 20 turnovers wc will win!

You can lose by 50 or lose by 1, no matter how you explain it, you still lost!:box:
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby nike07 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:41 am

north_border_eagles2106 wrote:I dont see why state polls matter anyway.  They don't determine who teams will play in state based on their rank.  I think the state should go to that if they are going to put out polls every week they should have them mean something more then the bragging rights.  If after the region championship games they had a poll of the 8 teams going to state and set it up with 1 playing 8, 2 playing 7, 3 playing 6, and 4 playing 5 we would see probably a better state tournament with a higher chance of the two best teams playing for the championship.  Whenever a team I was on was ranked we would here it around school and from our fans and then it gets into your head and thats when a team will lose a game or two they have no business losing.
why even have state polls, its not like they determine seeds by them like ncaa does, in a way
nike07
NDPreps Starter

Postby nike07 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:42 am

pacod wrote:Thats a stupid comment nike. Well maybe wells has less turn overs and Four WInds stepped up there offense a lil more, it could go on all night. You could say all kinds of would ifs and could ofs. Simple fact Four Winds pulled off the W.
right, four winds proved they are a good team, im jus gettin a little tired of reading how great four winds is from THEIR fans
nike07
NDPreps Starter

Postby Indians Alumni » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:45 am

nike07 wrote:
pacod wrote:Thats a stupid comment nike. Well maybe wells has less turn overs and Four WInds stepped up there offense a lil more, it could go on all night. You could say all kinds of would ifs and could ofs. Simple fact Four Winds pulled off the W.
right, four winds proved they are a good team, im jus gettin a little tired of reading how great four winds is from THEIR fans

OK, what would you like to talk about?  Or discuss?  Start a topic!
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby pacod » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:50 am

Theres nothing wrong with supporting your team. I mean honestly i think Four Winds fans have a right to be proud of their teams. As well as any other teams fans. They're entitled to their own oppinion!!
pacod

Postby sodadrinker » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:51 am

lets all just admit that 4 winds is a great team.  maybe not the best in the state but they are definately twice the team wells county is and they have already proven that by beating wells county in 4 winds while their fans were banging drums the whole game
you shouldnt throw stones if you live in a glass house and if you got a glass jaw you should watch your mouth
sodadrinker
NDPreps All-State

PreviousNext

Return to Boys