Mr. Basketball

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby West Dakota » Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:19 pm

Thanks

I started taking BB photos for the kids this year, and it just kind of snowballed.

I went out and bought myself a good camera and even started a little sight so that players and their families could buy them if they wanted. I just started it this week, it's been fun taking them for the local papers and the High School web sight.

If you know of any one in the region that might like a picture of their kids please pass my link on to them.

I'm going to try to get to as many district and regional games as I can. And will just stay on one end of the court to get both teams offensive and defensive plays

http://www.shutterfly.com/pro/westdakotaphotography/hoops

Last edited by West Dakota on Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
West Dakota
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby westfan00 » Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:25 pm

goatboy's pictures are excellent and i definitely agree they about the sports illustrated comment. everyone talks about how tivis has been hurt and hasn't been 100% this year, but what people do not know is about voth. So far this year he has suffered a fractured wrist, stomach flu for a few days, cold flu for two weeks and recently was undercut which injured his back/butt and sidelined him for a week. right now he is only about 60% and he still managed to put up 30 the other night. i have seen most of voth's games and every game i have seen he has been chased and still manages to put up numbers in the 30's. he is definitely an athlete to watch for and does not get the recognition he deserves. there is one downfall to his leaping ability, he gets undercut alot. his severe injuries, like his wrist and back/butt have been result of being undercut. i have talked to alot of different players this year and the comment about tivis being able to dunk is false. jeff smith is an amazing shooter and along with voth, he should be receiving alot more recognition. smith and voth are the two top scorers in north dakota that i know of. (28 and 26 ppg) in my opinion bowman is not the number one team in class b basketball and we'll see it when trinity beats them on thursday.   check out voth's stats and pictures at   www.glen-ullin.k12.nd.us/200506_boysbasketball/default.htm
Last edited by westfan00 on Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
westfan00
NDPreps Rookie

Postby West Dakota » Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:12 pm

You can see why he gets his feet taken out from under him, this is what he looks like when he drives into the lane for a short jumper. I believe the Hazen boys are both over 6ft tall.

When he had his feet taken out from under him at Hazen he was like 3 ft from the hoop, took a quick step in then sprung up to dunk it off two feet "crazy" you would have thought he was 6' 10"!
Last edited by West Dakota on Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
West Dakota
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby rainmaker » Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:42 pm

I guess we will find out on Thursday.  Voth, Smith, and Tivis are all great players, but it will be interesting to see which one will still be playing in a couple weeks (Regionals & State).  My money is on Tivis.  I think it is also important to remember that Thursday's Trinity-Bowman game is a REGULAR season game.  I think it's hard to deny an undefeated record  and a #1 ranking in the state.   
rainmaker
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ND_SportsNut » Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:01 pm

Which D-1 schools are looking at Voth?
ND_SportsNut

Postby West Dakota » Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:33 am

One of the big schools from the south west wants to look at him for one.Folks must have liked what they saw when he was on that national traveling team last summer.
Last edited by West Dakota on Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
West Dakota
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby rainmaker » Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:45 am

Which school from the southwest is it??
rainmaker
NDPreps Reserve

Postby westfan00 » Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:01 pm

I talked to some people in the crowd and found out some college info on voth. NDSU has been talking to him really hard since his junior season, and the only college that has not talked to him in north dakota is UND supposedly. The word is he has been talked to by 20 or more colleges from around the country. Thats not bad for a ND kid.
westfan00
NDPreps Rookie

Postby bill » Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:43 pm

Goatboy, do u remember the year Tyler Greff missed a dunk in the regional championship game. Ya i believe that they played trinity. And trinity ended up winning, but u know wat is funny, that game was in BEULAH! Stop making excuses, especially about the student section, that is one of the worst excuses i have ever heard for not making it to state. Are you kidding me? 
bill

Postby West Dakota » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:16 pm

No I'm not kidding you, of course its to Trinity's advantage to play every game of the district and the regional in their own gym! It seems like everyone gets it except for the folks at Trinity. These games should be played at a neutral venue, period.

Do any of you folks out east have to do this in your district and regional tourneys?

West Dakota
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bill » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:27 pm

hey goatboy, u know that bowman had just as many fans in the gym tonite as trinity did. also, trinitys gym is like a second home to every team in south west north dakota, everyone plays at least 5 or 6 games there throughout the year. i hate trinity jus as much as the next guy, but when it comes down to it, the ndhsaa doesnt just schedule tournaments at trinity because it wants to give them home court advantage. it all comes down to finances and money. back in 2001, they switched to regional tournament to beulah. that tournament brought in $10,000 less to the ndhsaa than the one the year before which was held in dickinson. and trinity still won that one anyways. ever since then, its been at trinity. are you telling me you wouldnt make the same decision if you were the ndhsaa chairman? you just have to come to the realization that trinity has a nice place to play, with great seating and a great atmosphere. so what if they have homecourt advantage, good teams block that out anyways and find a way to win.
bill

Postby lefty » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:36 pm

its still homecourt advantage no matter how many times other teams play there. its there own school, own town, they don't have to ride on a bus to the game, and they practice on the court everyday.
lefty
NDPreps Reserve

Postby bill » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:48 pm

[color=black] When i was in high school a few years ago and i played there, it was the best time of my life, i loved playing there, the "homecourt advantage" didnt bother me, i jus had fun playing basketball and enjoyed the great atmosphere. And until you[color=#000080] [/color][/color]experience it first hand and realize that it doesnt bother you that much, you will never know. im just saying, why dont any of these teams stop complaining about homecourt advantage and start playing bball.
bill

Postby lefty » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:56 pm

good point, but i guess its not the players complaining about the homecourt advantage, its the fans haha.
lefty
NDPreps Reserve

Postby lefty » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:57 pm

Last edited by lefty on Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lefty
NDPreps Reserve

Postby NDSportsFan » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:58 pm

This thread is about Mr. Basketball.   Agree to disagree, or start a new topic.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Ming01 » Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:27 am

If there gonna play the regional and district in Dickinson then play it at DSU or Dickinson High.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby Rebel » Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:42 am

That has been tried in the past, but I guess they cannot seat enough people at those two places.
North Dakota Preps Hall of Fame Inductee
Rebel
NDPreps Starter

Postby classbfan » Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:13 pm

goatboy wrote:No I'm not kidding you, of course its to Trinity's advantage to play every game of the district and the regional in their own gym! It seems like everyone gets it except for the folks at Trinity. These games should be played at a neutral venue, period.

Do any of you folks out east have to do this in your district and regional tourneys?

It isn't fair that Trinity gets home court advantage. This affects the players mentality. For all those that say a good team can block out fans, that's not always true. If homecourt advantage was not such a big deal, then why do the professionals work so hard to attain it?

I think that Voth and Tivis are both great players, but I personally think that Voth gets alot of credit for his dunks. Tivis is a great shooter and gets things done in situations that look nearly impossible. Overall, I see Smith as a better shooter. Voth as a great player and Tivis as an all around player.

Tivis, being such an all around player, should be a candidate for Mr. Basketball (my opinion). Problem is... Class B and the West have a hard time. The press isn't as plentiful in the West. I think that to boost his shot in the quest for Mr.Basketball, the Bulldogs will need to go to State Class B. Otherwise, his exposure will not be great enough. As a result, it will likely go to someone East and someone Class A.

Best of Luck to all the players.

GO CLASS B
Last edited by classbfan on Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
classbfan
NDPreps Rookie

Postby quick-draw-mcgraw » Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:38 am

Classbfan.

Tivis did recieve a nomination to the McDonalds game. He didn't make the team,  there are only about 1600 nominations to fill 24 spots.

I attended the district 13 championship last night. I thought the bulldogs might of ran out of gas at halftime. The black devils played really well in the first half for not having smith. the bulldogs proved to be too much for them as they showed their true colors in the second half. At halftime the score was 25-22 hettinger and then quickly it was 41-27 bowman at one point. When those bulldogs get on a roll theres no stopping them. The best part of the game was when the bowman crowd stood up to cheer the bulldogs for clinching the win, shortly after that pauley caught a back door alley oop dunk. The whole gym just erupted.
quick-draw-mcgraw

Postby classbfan » Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:59 am

I have noticed there are times when the Bowman Fans do loose their steam. The players seem to really work hard for them when they do get into the game.

The game last night was great. I did some changing to my previous post. I did more research and re-posted. Sorry about that.

The atmosphere at the game for Bowman v. Hettinger was outstanding. I feel both sets of fans did a great job of supporting their teams.

I think it was neat that both Smith and Tivis made Outstanding Senior. It says a lot about the caliber of play and the caliber of students that are present in District 13.

Looking forward to seeing the Regional tournament and watching all the great players from the region.

Hopefully, the press will be out in full force for ALL players and teams to get exposure. It will be fun to watch!
classbfan
NDPreps Rookie

Postby bison » Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:32 am

Mr. Basketball...Hands down should go to Voth.  Yeah Tivis is a really good player and so is Smith and a lot of other players in the state.  But when you think of building a team with this years players, who would be your first selection to be on your team and someone that you could build an entire team around?...the answer is Jaden Voth.  He can shoot, dribble, jump, and do everything you need INSIDE and OUT.  He not only scores at absolute will, but creates so many opportunities for other players.  Tivis is a great shooter, but he cannot do the things that Voth can do.  Name one thing tivis can do better...MAYBE shoot, but i doubt it, i bet they are very very close.  So much talk is about Tivis, well look at his supporting cast.  The kid has a solid team to play with, he is so lucky to have an inside player like Pauley, that takes a lot of heat off of him.  Put Voth on Bowmans team and Tivis on Glen Ullin-Hebrons, Bowman would be undefeated all the way through the state tourney without question and GU-H wouldnt have nearly as many wins.  I am not taking anything away from Tivis, but if you have watched both play (like I have) HOW IN THE WORLD can you say Tivis is better than Voth?  Someone please tell me an answer because I am looking for one.  Why is NDSU on a mission to get Voth and not Tivis, and dont tell me because of his foot.  There is a thing called redshirting and broken bones heal.  And you are nuts to not think that Voth hasnt played hurt all year, just go to a game and watch players try to take him out when he jumps.  So when thinking of Mr. Bball ask yourself who you would want to build a team around with this years players and that person should be Mr. bball and he should go by the name of Jaden Voth.
bison
NDPreps Rookie

Postby West Dakota » Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:10 pm

After Glen Ullin beat Bowman last year in the regionals  Pauley's folks were looking for a home in GU so that Derek could play his senior year with Voth.Must have been trouble in Bulldog country at the time or something, but boy would he have been a nice addition! There are so very few big men in class B right now out west, and he's a darn good one! Saw that Smith hurt his ankle pretty bad down there in Hettinger, I sure hope it heals in time for regionals. I really wanted to watch him play again in his last games, sure a fun kid to watch.

I saw that Shilo had a big night last night as well with Kuran Opp leading the way with 22 points, good for Kuran he's a real hustler and always gives 100%. Up until 3 years ago he was playing in Glen Ullin were he was born and raised.

It was always fun watching that little team from 4th grade on up do so well playing together, they sure won allot of tourneys across the state.

Then GU hired a new head basketball coach and his parents sent him to Shilo in Bismarck "his father was the coach at GU at the time". It's tuff when you only have 7 boys in the class and then have to lose one. But it looks like they made a good basketball move there as  Shilo might go to their 3rd straight state B tourney with him.

Best of luck to them all this next week!:)
Last edited by West Dakota on Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
West Dakota
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bball4life » Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:23 pm

I would really have to agree with Bison and goatboy. Not to bring down tivis or any thing but i really have to say from watching bowman play against hettinger last night that i would pick pauley over tivis. payton just has a stacked team. if u compared smith's stats to his smith had him beat in steals rebounds points and assists. pauly is the reason bowman is doing so good.
bball4life
NDPreps Reserve

Postby quick-draw-mcgraw » Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:07 pm

the only reason why voth is being picked over tivis is because he can jump out of his shoes. The reason why voth averages as much as he does is because he has hardly anyone to rely on at crunch time. Tivis is good at getting the ball around to everyone. I heard tivis was dunking this summer but then he hurt his foot. If you look at who to build a team around, i would hands down go tivis. he hustles every play and rebounds very well. He has a real taste for the game and I'm looking forward to seeing what college ball team picks him up.
Last edited by quick-draw-mcgraw on Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
quick-draw-mcgraw

PreviousNext

Return to Boys