Mr. Basketball

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby ndfan » Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:50 am

There is a topic in class A of this and there was a question of who was the last class B guy to win the award. I'm starting in here so the class A fans don't complain and say who cares.

Didnt Evan Lindahl win it in like 2001 for Cando?
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Velva in Iraq » Sat Feb 11, 2006 6:39 am

I believe Hunter Berg won it in 95 playing at Grenora.  In my opinion he is the best high school player ever in ND.  Too bad he never went on to bigger and better things.  But who is to say a wife and kids aren't the best things?  He might be the last Class B player to have won it.  Evan Lindahl should have won it in 2001.
Velva in Iraq
NDPreps Reserve

Postby 22 » Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:28 pm

Who do you think has the best chance of winning Mr.Basketball this year??

Postby NDSportsFan » Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:30 pm

I'm not sure who has the best chance of the class B schools.  I do think that the race is over already, Mertens for DL is really good, inside or outside and can take over a game, plus he has the stats.  I'm a class B guy myself and I'm curious who are leading candidates from there.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Ming01 » Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:42 pm

Mertens is the leading canidate.  Payton Tivis from Bowmann, Landon Smith or even Ryan Ernst from Trinity.  Kirby Johnson.  Jerad Seifert from Beulah is a canidate even tho the only way he'll win it is if he has a strong state (if they make it) and wins the championship.  Eric Erdmann from North.  Theres more B canidates but thats all I can think of for now.
Last edited by Ming01 on Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby point/center » Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:52 pm

I'll throw out a couple other names: Tyler Fettig of H-M-B. Beau Sizer of B-C-N
Jaden Voth of Glen Ullin. Ross Florhaug of P-B-K. I'll stop to man three letter schools :shock:
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby bruins44 » Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:32 am

ndfan wrote:There is a topic in class A of this and there was a question of who was the last class B guy to win the award. I'm starting in here so the class A fans don't complain and say who cares.

Didnt Evan Lindahl win it in like 2001 for Cando?

2005 Hennessy-Williston,

2004 Moorman-Dickinson,

2003-Koenig-Fargo North,

2002 Leikas-Fargo North,

2001 Dobmeier-Fargo South,

2000 Terry-Valley City,

1999 Brant-Minot,

1998 Boschee-Valley City,

1997 Sturdevant-Bismarck Century,

1996 Younger-Minot High,

1995 Berg-Grenora

so Class A has won Mr Basketball the past 10 years, and it looks like Mertens will win it this year..
bruins44
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby CLASSB2001 » Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:46 pm

"Didnt Evan Lindahl win it in like 2001 for Cando?"

It was a double whammy for Lindahl that year. He lost to North Border in the state championship and then minutes later watched Dobmeier win Mr. Basketball
CLASSB2001
NDPreps Reserve

Postby West Dakota » Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:58 am

Yes Jaden Voth should be a top canidate, if you haven't seen him you should try to get to one of his games. One on one there is no one that can stop him, heck he beat Trinity in the district championship last year all by himself just about.

I would venture to say he's the best ballhandler and leaper in the state and one of the top shooters. So that makes him a good candidate!

Not to many white 5' 10 1/2" kids out there that can dunk it anyway you can think of dunking it. And he does it effortlessly.

Who can forget his back to back slams in Glen Ullin's win against #4 ranked Bowman last year in a packed house Dickinson Trinity gym at regionals last fall for the win.That's a class B memory no one will ever forget that was there that night, the crowd went crazy!:shock: He was still going up here in this photo, heck with that 40+ inch vertical he can hit his head on the backboard just standing under it. His tomahak and off the floor off the backboard 360's reminds one alot of spud web back in the day!
Last edited by West Dakota on Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
West Dakota
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby 1337 » Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:24 am

Its obviously the debate in another thread, but judging by that picture, the Trinity gym does look like a great basketball atmosphere!

Sweet pic!
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby West Dakota » Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:42 am

As much as I hate to say it yes it is a very nice gym, it just stinks that everything has to go thru there. This year both the district and regionals for the boys is being held there "not fare". Can you imagine with those and their home games and the rough rider holiday tourney how many home games they get to play there this season!

I spoke with the NDHSAA about this and they said that Hazen and Beulah would be to far for the folks from Bowman. Well I'll bet you those Bowman folks would love to play Trinity for the regional championship in Beulah or Hazen if it comes down to that in a few weeks.

What bugged me last year when we went to watch Bowman play Mott for the District championship was that when Bowman won. The announcer got right on the mike and told everyone to stay off the court and the Bowman foks had to celibrate on the sidelines.

YET when Trinity beat Mott for the regional championship and a trip to the B, they opened the floodgates and everyone from the trinity crowd was jumping all over that very same court! That ticked me off a little!:X

Here's Jaden's second two hander at the regional last year .

Oh I guess not everyone was to excited about those dunks "like the Bowman folks in the background!"
Last edited by West Dakota on Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
West Dakota
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Rebel » Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:05 am

I agree, the state tournament should not be on the line on someones home court.  A big advantage for Trinity.  But, I don't think it is going to change.  Great pictures of Voth's dunk!  I hate to correct you, but last year Bowman beat Mott in the District Championiship game, but you are right on when saying that Trinity did not let the Bowman Fan's celebrate.  Also in your picture, that is not Payton Tivis in the background I do not belive.  Last year Payton wore number 20, this year I believe he wears #1.  He and Voth are both studs!  I don't think Jaden gets the recognition he deserves because of being in Trinity's district and region.  Payton does not get much recogintion as well, 1st team all state as a junior, numbers are up this year, and he is playing on a broken foot that will require surgery in April.  I have heard he is probably only at about 75%.  If that is true that is pretty unreal!
North Dakota Preps Hall of Fame Inductee
Rebel
NDPreps Starter

Postby West Dakota » Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:15 am

Yep your right about the district game, I got my wires crossed. And that isn't Peyton, sorry about that. Jaden, Peyton and Jeff Smith and a couple others were on a national traveling team that did quite well from what I hear last summer. It sure helped their game for this season that's for sure. I'll tell you what I think the kid that really gets over looked is Jeff Smith. I had the chance to watch him a couple times along with Tivis. From what I've seen I like Smith's game better than Tivis's, as did the others that went with to those games. Boy can Smith shoot the three, I can't imagine how much gym time he has under his belt.  He had 5 threes in the first quarter in one of the games we watched! And when they finaly got a guy stuck on him way out there he did a really nice job of creating for himself on the dribble drive! I would think he has to be the leading scorer this year in the state, good for him.

The Pauley kid is a big reason for all of those bulldog wins as well, he's a really nice player who handles the ball really nice for a big fella!

It's been a great year to be a fan of class B basketball out west this year that's for sure! Thursday night should be a great game Bowman vs Trinity II "at Trinity", If I get some good shots I'll post them. Go bulldogs!
West Dakota
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Rebel » Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:35 am

Jeff Smith is probably a better pure shooter than Tivis, I agree there.  I still think Tivis has a better all around game.  He gets so many points on Rebounds it is unreal.  Jeff is leading the state in scoring at 29 a game, while Payton is only getting 24, but I heard that Payton has sat out the fourth quarter of 11 games this year because his team is ahead by so much.   Imagine what those numbers could be.  I think payton will be a point guard at the next level, his left hand is unreal, where Jeff will be more of a pure scorer.

Derek Pauley is also a stud.  His pivot foot is unreal.  Bowman is solid at all five spots, have a lot of guys that get overlooked because of Payton and Derek, but I still think Trinity has the advantage because of their experience and size.  Trinity has been to the big show four strait years, no matter what Bowman has done, that is tough to overcome. 

Region 7 is just tough all around, even after Trinity and Bowman.  Teams like Hettinger, Kildeer, Glenn Ullin, Hazen, would probably all compete for the title in a region like Four Wind's.  Will be an unreal regional tourny!
Rebel
NDPreps Starter

Postby West Dakota » Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:10 am

Very true

Have you gotten to see Voth handle the ball, now that is unreal! And then when he jumps well like all my friends say the kid is a freak of nature:shock::shock:! There are big schools looking at Voth and for good reason.

Your right thou about Tivis's points off of rebounds, he seems to always be in the right place at the right time. It will be fun to see them play together at the all star games this summer. 

I am not impressed as much with Trinity this year, I think Bowman has the advantage myself. But there are 2 or 3 teams in that region that if playing a good game could beat both of them. But to put a couple of those games together at the regional is always tuff if not impossible.
Last edited by West Dakota on Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
West Dakota
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Rebel » Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:12 am

Yes, I have heard that alot of people are disapointed in Tivis, but with that broken foot it has to be tough on him.  I heard this summer when he and Jaden played together they were unreal.  I guess Tivis was dunking this summer, and how with that foot he has trouble hitting the backboard!

Your right about the tough region as well, I think the only way that Trinity and Bowman don't meet up for a trip to state on the line is if they beat themselves.
Rebel
NDPreps Starter

Postby sarge01 » Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:00 pm

Wow...it is obvious who the Voth fan is here:)  J/K...he is an amazing player.  I do have to disagree about those who are disappointed in Tivis.  HE HAS A BROKEN FOOT in several different places.  Come on now people...I hope that we are all wise enough to know how hard it would be to play on that..heck, WALK ON THAT for that matter.  I have been to some of Tivis' games and he is unreal!  He is definitely only at 75%, but he is still amazing!!  He is such a team player, he could easily be getting 30+ some points a game, but he passes the ball and gets his teammates involved, such as the great player Pauley, as well as the other players who are great ball players as well.  I think if he was at 100% we would ALL be amazed!!  Those who expect him to be dominating this year with injuries must not understand the game of basketball all that well.  He is a HUGE part of Bowman's success this year, along with Pauley, Maher, Breen, Burke, and everyone else, respectively.  I also agree with Trinity's experience....they are much more consistent than Bowman, but Bowman definitely has the potential for a victory if they would just keep their heads and play their game!  There will be some GREAT games in the west come tournament time.  By the way...I also agree that SMITH is AMAZING, and definitley a better pure shooter than Payton, but Payton is by FAR the best all around player.  (I know I know...you are all thinking....we know who the Tivis fan is here!!:)  It is also not fair in the least with Trinity always getting to play on their court....that definitely is to their advantage....for teams to beat Trinity, they are also having to go against so many other factors that play into it all.  I am sure Bowman people would be more than HAPPY to drive farther away for games.  I think it is also unfair how they always get the same seating during tournament time as well, when the other teams' fans have to rotate.  If they have that many fans that they need the whole other side of the gym, maybe they shouldn't be in Class B basketball!!
Last edited by sarge01 on Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sarge01
NDPreps Rookie

Postby West Dakota » Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:12 pm

AMEN!!!!!

You hit the nail right on the head! It's lame that everything has to go thru that gym, it was fun to watch Glen Ullin with 6 boys in the class beat them last year in the district championship in Hazen!

I'll give Trinity one thing, the are a very nice group of kids. Their sportsmanship is second to none,....boy that was tough for me to say!

Good luck to all the boys, I hope they can represent our region well at state this year!
Last edited by West Dakota on Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
West Dakota
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby sarge01 » Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:24 pm

I TOTALLY agree with you...good luck to all of them!!  The trinity boys are a very nice group of kids, I feel the same way.  It is just so hard to not have hard feelings against them with the whole gym thing, and the debate about whether or not they should be class B or not....but they have great sportsmanship and know how to play ball!!  I am just SO impressed with that region this year....there are SO many talented kids and great teams!!  It will be fun to watch...I am looking forward to getting to as many games as I can.  And I bet it was great to see Glen Ullin beat Trinity last year...I wish I could have seen if myself!!!  No matter who wins Regionals this year, I just hope it isn't Trinity, nothing against them...but this is the year for another team to go to STATE!!
sarge01
NDPreps Rookie

Postby sarge01 » Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:26 pm

Who ever made the comment about Tivis' left hand hit the nail on the head.  I have never seen a kid with a better left hand.....it is unreal.....he also is great at getting himself to the free throw line and rebounding....WOW for a guard...he knows how to get the ball and put it back up....even when he is off on his shots....he does great with lay-ups, free throws and rebounds.
sarge01
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Ming01 » Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:46 pm

anybody know what colleges are looking at Tivis?
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby West Dakota » Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:34 pm

Last edited by West Dakota on Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
West Dakota
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby NDSportsFan » Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:36 pm

They are still there, they might take time to load if your connection is slow.  They also don't show if you aren't logged in.  I encourage photo's.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby West Dakota » Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:51 pm

Yep they just took a while to come up I guess.

I will post some photos of the Bulldog/Titan game on friday if I get some good ones.

Glen Ullin had two kids with 30 or more points tonight, haven't seen that for a while!

Voth 30

Schaaf 31

Voth gettin up there for a jump ball. The other guy is like 6'4".

Last edited by West Dakota on Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
West Dakota
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Batman » Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:55 pm

Holy cow man!!

send in your photos to Sports Illustrated, they are really good!
Batman
NDPreps Starter

Next

Return to Boys