Early Season Thoughts?

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Early Season Thoughts?

Postby lakers24 » Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:04 am

Was interested to see what peoples thoughts are of the season so far? Any teams not as good as expected? Any teams better than expected? I know it’s still early!
lakers24
NDPreps Reserve

Re: Early Season Thoughts?

Postby Thundersnow » Tue Dec 26, 2023 10:37 am

It's still very early, but here are some of my thoughts: Region 4 looks way deeper than I thought going into the year. Minot Ryan is still the favorite, but I think I personally underestimated Westhope-Newburg, Alexander, Williston Trinity and Mohall-Lansford-Sherwood. Bowman County looks like the best team in Region 3 and everybody in the second tier is playing for second. Langdon, North Star and Cavalier appear to the favorites in Region 2. Hankinson has been a pleasant surprise for me in Region 1, but do they have enough firepower to contend with Linton, Sargent County and E-K-M?
Thundersnow
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Dec 28, 2023 11:24 am

Thundersnow wrote:It's still very early, but here are some of my thoughts: Region 4 looks way deeper than I thought going into the year. Minot Ryan is still the favorite, but I think I personally underestimated Westhope-Newburg, Alexander, Williston Trinity and Mohall-Lansford-Sherwood. Bowman County looks like the best team in Region 3 and everybody in the second tier is playing for second. Langdon, North Star and Cavalier appear to the favorites in Region 2. Hankinson has been a pleasant surprise for me in Region 1, but do they have enough firepower to contend with Linton, Sargent County and E-K-M?

I feel in Region 2 North Star has already separated itself from the pack. My only concern with them is that they are not a deep team with the younger Hagler still injured (not sure when he is able to return) only playing 6 players. MPCG and MM were getting some early recognition, but have struggled. I feel Langdon is a bit overrated early and do not see them challenging North Star. Saw Cavalier play last night and they looked good, but they only played 5 players until 2 min left in the game, so depth will hurt them against better teams. I thought Nelson Co would be a top team in the south district and they still might be, but North Star handed it to them last week.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby vikingman » Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:08 pm

North Star never has a deep bench. The last time they won a region championship, they played 6 players in a double OT game. The sub only got in because someone fouled out very late in regulation. All other 4 players played the entire game.
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Postby UNDSiouxfan » Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:24 pm

I'd say Hankinson is going to be a very tough out in Region 1 once the playoffs come around. They are a young team playing with a lot of confidence, and they have a very deep bench for the first time in years. They have a big upcoming game with Sargent County, the preseason favorite, but I'm not sure if SC has the bench or guards this year to contend with the defensive pressure they'll get. Their new head coach, Carter Mauch, has implemented a different philosophy by being more aggressive, and really has his kids believing right now.

Hankinson beat a very good EKM team in Edgeley, and this was no easy task as EKM will contend once the playoffs start. Linton looks to be doing very well also, but I haven't seem them play yet. The contending teams in R1 at this point are Linton, Hankinson, Sargent County, EKM, & Lamoure. Lamoure has played a tougher schedule than most, and this will benefit them towards the end of the year.

Another early season thought is that Class B is alive and well, we've had some great games and pretty packed gyms. And, the new class A has been fun to follow, with a lot of teams playing some non conference games with challenging schedules. I've said it before, but basketball overall (BBB at least) is going to benefit greatly in ND with the new changes.
UNDSiouxfan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby walleye$fishing » Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:06 pm

I heard Schmidt is back for South Border. Just wondering if that is true, anyone know?
walleye$fishing
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Flip » Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:50 pm

walleye$fishing wrote:I heard Schmidt is back for South Border. Just wondering if that is true, anyone know?

It's true.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Return to Boys