New Rules for 2023-24

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

New Rules for 2023-24

Postby bk1990 » Tue Oct 31, 2023 1:37 pm

download/file.php?mode=view&id=51

Hope this attached properly, sorry if it is showing twice. This is from the Garrison High School website. Lots of questions. First, since when does NFHS make rule changes? Is it supposed to be NDHSAA that makes rule changes? Also, how would this improve game flow, you start shooting free throws earlier and it starts as double bonus.
On top of that, isn't the new AA going to still be playing halves while A and B are quarters? This will slow down AA tremendously with free throws.
It is almost like rules are being made and changes made just for the sake of change.
I
Attachments
rules.jpg
rules.jpg (22.44 KiB) Viewed 1085 times
rules.jpg
rules.jpg (22.44 KiB) Viewed 1085 times
Last edited by bk1990 on Tue Oct 31, 2023 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bk1990
NDPreps Starter

Re: New Rules for 2023-24

Postby WalkingStick » Tue Oct 31, 2023 2:07 pm

NFHS is the National Federation...the base rules are set by them; NDHSAA will alter for their games.

My guess would be that with halves this rule is NOT a factor (MN not doing this)...this is a quarters-only rule change

Think of it this way:
Class AA will be just like Men's College Basketball for the fouls and game time (just like MN)
Class A & B will be like Women's College for the fouls and game time
One Stop Shop for All North Dakota Scores
https://www.northdakotaprepscoreboards.com/

"Control what you can control...Can't fix ignorant people"
WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flip » Tue Oct 31, 2023 2:09 pm

bk1990 wrote:First, since when does NFHS make rule changes? Is it supposed to be NDHSAA that makes rule changes?

This is how I understand that it works. NFHS has its rules, but each state association can deviate from those rules if it wants to. This is why ND had a shot clock and the charge semi-circle.

Also, how would this improve game flow, you start shooting free throws earlier and it starts as double bonus.

Although you may start shooting FTs earlier, they reset after each quarter. I definitely think there will be fewer FTs shot as a result of the change.
On top of that, isn't the new AA going to still be playing halves while A and B are quarters? This will slow down AA tremendously with free throws.

This change doesn't affect AA.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby bk1990 » Tue Oct 31, 2023 2:25 pm

WalkingStick wrote:NFHS is the National Federation...the base rules are set by them; NDHSAA will alter for their games.

My guess would be that with halves this rule is NOT a factor (MN not doing this)...this is a quarters-only rule change

Think of it this way:
Class AA will be just like Men's College Basketball for the fouls and game time (just like MN)

Thanks for the info, was not aware of the NFHS connection, thought it was just the streaming service for games.
If they want to mirror the college game, wouldn't it make sense to do it with all three classes in high school? Have the boys plays halves and the girls quarters now regardless of division? Also, doesn't it have something to do with how many minutes they are allowed to play in a year. The old class B could potentially play more games if make it to state than A, so A could have more minutes per game?
bk1990
NDPreps Starter

Postby WalkingStick » Tue Oct 31, 2023 2:31 pm

bk1990 wrote:
WalkingStick wrote:NFHS is the National Federation...the base rules are set by them; NDHSAA will alter for their games.

Think of it this way:

Thanks for the info, was not aware of the NFHS connection, thought it was just the streaming service for games.
If they want to mirror the college game, wouldn't it make sense to do it with all three classes in high school? Have the boys plays halves and the girls quarters now regardless of division? Also, doesn't it have something to do with how many minutes they are allowed to play in a year. The old class B could potentially play more games if make it to state than A, so A could have more minutes per game?

It's not necessarily modeling to the college game...I just used that as a simple way of explaining how the team fouls/FT situation will work for halves and quarters
One Stop Shop for All North Dakota Scores
https://www.northdakotaprepscoreboards.com/

"Control what you can control...Can't fix ignorant people"
WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Return to Boys