2022-23 Boys All State Team

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: 2022-23 Boys All State Team

Postby packers21 » Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:15 pm

WalkingStick wrote:
packers21 wrote:
Bison-Vikes #1 wrote:Not every team has the luxury of having 3, 4 or 5 players who can carry the scoring load and be equally effective on the defensive end. Many teams only have 1 or 2 scoring threats and those kids are usually getting double teamed. It's not an easy task picking the all-state team and we are never going to unanimously agree on all selections. Looking at this year's team, I think there could have been some misses, but it would be difficult to take 1 off to add another. Congrats to the winners, it's a great honor.

Agreed, CC just like Kindred two year ago had 3 kids off the bench that would have started for 50% of the other teams at the state tournament and 99% of the other teams in the state. You got the biggest prize of them all, don't understand all the backlash.

Interestingly, a lot of the backlash is coming from the non-CC fans.

On here yea, my socials not so much lol. If I had a a vote I woulda voted Kobbervig on but I wasn’t surprised when no one from CC made it.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby RiverMiner99 » Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:23 pm

Since 2000. State title winning teams without an all state player:

2023 - Central Cass
2021 - Kindred
2014 - Oak Grove
2012 - Beulah
2001 - North Border
RiverMiner99
NDPreps Starter

Postby UncleRico » Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:25 am

Oof. Looks like someone hit a nerve!

The player in question had a good season. I don't think anything Maddog said in his last post was untrue, either.
UncleRico
NDPreps Reserve

Postby maddog1971 » Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:41 am

Region 1 Fan wrote:
maddog1971 wrote:Well plain and simple right or wrong... It is how many points you put up. Same thing in college and the pro's. Teams that win at the high school in North Dakota can not be successful with one player putting up 25 shots and game.... leaking out all the time to try and get a dunk... Winning teams have kids getting dirty on defense and unselfish on the offensive end.... Some night they will put up 30 and some nights they can put up 6 as long as the team wins.

Hard to believe that the Government allowed you to have kids - DA!
Every situation is different. I know the kid you are referring to and he avg'd 19 shots per game while knocking down 60% EFG, grabbing 8.4 rebounds and 2.3 steals a game. What coach wouldn't want a kid like that on his/her team? How is he different than a Klabo, Eaglestaff, Stainbrook, Cosley, Leach (MN side) or whomever is on this list. Who on this list shot less than 14 or15 times per game. The answer is zero! How many kids avg'd 55% shooting on the year, just one - the kid you are knocking. Some years you don't have the same depth as in years past and kids have to take on more. The kid that you are referring to and taking jabs at played the top of a 1.3.1 all year and still avg'd over 8 boards a game and 2.3 steals per game. Last game of the year, he went 16 for 28 with 12 boards. Yes, he scored 37 points but if he didn't produce on that night, his team would have lost by much more than what they did. His team didn't win, you are correct on that but it wasn't for his effort or production. You point out that they just about beat CC when he didn't play. Yes, team played well that game but CC also didn't play so well and missed a lot of shots they normally don't. How about when they played Maple River, he didn't play that game and I don't know if they scored 50 points that game - got beat anyway and the kid you keep taking shots at didn't play that game as well. Great players make others around them better but at some point, there is only so much one person can do if the talent on the team isn't there like in years past. During those down years, there will be 1 or 2 kids that will have to front more of the workload on certain ends of the court. Going to be that way for the next few years for this school. Just how it is sometimes. 15 spots on the All State team: 5 for 1st team and 10 for 2nd team. All kids on this list are very deserving. Who would you take off and who would you add: Be nice, objective and provide facts instead of hate for your reasoning - Might be difficult for a couple of people on here. I can think of 10 or so more that could have easily made this list as well, including a couple from CC, this years State Champion. One of the more balanced and deep teams that I can think of in the past 15 plus years. This year, they had I believe 4 kids avging double figures, most teams don't have that luxury. A couple of them could have easily avg'd over 20 points a game IMO and if they were playing at OG or Enderlin this year, and happen to replace Enderlin and OG's stud players in the line-up, they would put up as many or more shots and probably produce 20 plus points a game as well and they would have been asked/expected to do that. I would say both kids elevated their teams but they just didn't have enough depth and talent around them to be serious threats to come out of the Region. At the end of the day, 26.7 points, 8.4 rebounds, 2.3 steals per game is impressive but you are right, it didn't get the team to State. Same goes for NB, FourWinds, Minot Ryan and some other very talented teams that have kids playing at the next level next year. Guess they are just not very good in your opinion. You are truly a basketball savant Maddog.

Just for the record I was not referring to any one player from this year. NOT at All... I was giving a general statement about players in Basketball at any level. The players that win these awards as a general fact put of big numbers but their teams don't do that well. Players that learn how to play together and don't care about how many shots they get up a game.... those are the players that make a successful program. If get up 20 plus shots a game and you are open... great. Dribbling down the court and shooting 25 foot jumpers 4 seconds into the shot clock 10 times a game will not give your team to many W's.
All the players that made the team... Great for them.. Great Basketball players. Congrats.
But I also consider the kids that made a sacrifice to get their team to the top... Great players as well.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:09 pm

maddog1971 wrote:The players that win these awards as a general fact put of big numbers but their teams don't do that well. Players that learn how to play together and don't care about how many shots they get up a game.... those are the players that make a successful program.

I understand what you are trying to say, but it's slow on here so I'll have some fun. Let's see, Michael Jordan, Larry Bird, Kobe Bryant, Stephen Curry, just to name a few, certainly don't fit into your criteria. As a matter of fact, the entire NBA is set up to disprove your theory. Think about it, with the salary cap, every team is supposed to balance out and create parity, correct? Why is it then that the superstars all try to take less money and get on the same team? Not saying that there aren't balanced teams that win National Championships, because there are. However, at the highest level, which would be the NBA, almost always a team with a superstar ends up winning. 2 cents.
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Postby maddog1971 » Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:44 pm

I don't know if this will work or not. But here is a what I am saying... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGC2M68jmMo

Or go to youtube and type in NBA Legend Rick Barry Delivers Epic Rant on What's wrong with the NBA...
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flying Wallenda » Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:47 am

It appears that a significant amount of attention is paid to getting representation from all over the state. In looking at years past, typically there are about 2 kids per region, sometimes 4, sometimes zero. It does vary. That, to me, makes this award not as meaningful. If 7 of the best 15 players play in region 4, 7 should make the all state team. I'm sure its hard as I'm guessing much of the voting community doesn't see the kids from the other side of the state. Not trying to slam kids, but IMO if you picked a team of whoever you think are the 12 best players from regions 1-4 this year and played whoever you thought were the best 12 players from regions 5-8, I'd say the regions 1-4 would beat regions 5-8 in a running clock game. Not every year, but this year.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Previous

Return to Boys