2022-2023 State Class B Boys Basketball Tournament

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: 2022-2023 State Class B Boys Basketball Tournament

Postby packers21 » Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:51 am

justplayalready wrote:We'll see how this tourney goes and is called, but from what I saw at the A, there needs to be a serious look at adding some type of "flopping" call or reworking how the no-charge is called...again we'll see how the next 3 days go, but it's starting to get silly...

Totally agree here, so many officials seem to be in love with the charge call. Lots of these kids must dual sport in drama Bc they can sell it.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby RiverMiner99 » Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:24 am

This year seems like a weaker field of teams overall than the last few years, but still some really good teams at the top.

Prediction:
1.Beulah
2.Thompson
3.Central Cass
4.Bismarck
5.Des Lacs-Burlington
6.Medina-Pingree/Buchanan
7.Powers Lake
8.Warwick

I'm looking forward to the last game of the night tonight. That should be a good one. I'm concerned the other 3 games might not be real competitive. Regardless of who wins today the Friday night and Saturday night games will be exciting.
RiverMiner99
NDPreps Starter

Postby WalkingStick » Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:53 am

RiverMiner99 wrote:I'm looking forward to the last game of the night tonight. That should be a good one. I'm concerned the other 3 games might not be real competitive. Regardless of who wins today the Friday night and Saturday night games will be exciting.

Kinda how the Girls tournament went this year...Day 1 blowouts and Day 2 & 3 were exciting.
One Stop Shop for All North Dakota Scores
https://www.northdakotaprepscoreboards.com/

"Control what you can control...Can't fix ignorant people"
WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby NDbaseballguy2 » Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:51 pm

justplayalready wrote:We'll see how this tourney goes and is called, but from what I saw at the A, there needs to be a serious look at adding some type of "flopping" call or reworking how the no-charge is called...again we'll see how the next 3 days go, but it's starting to get silly...

I guess my question would be what considers a player “set” as in set to take a charge. Obviously have to be outside of the restricted arc, but do you need to be standing still for more than a second?
NDbaseballguy2
NDPreps Reserve

Postby WalkingStick » Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:27 pm

WalkingStick wrote:THURSDSAY
Powers Lake-Burke Central
Beulah
Central Cass (this could be a high scoring affair)
Thompson

FRIDAY
Shiloh Christian
Des Lacs-Burlington
Beulah
Central Cass

SATURDAY
7th: Medina/Pingree-Buchanan
5th: Des Lacs-Burlington
3rd: Thompson
1st: Central Cass

Bummer already busted bracket here...went with my heart; basically flip around their results above now

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby sportsphenom » Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:14 pm

Totally agree here, its getting out of hand. I've seen some players literally falling over before contact even comes into play.
sportsphenom
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby BISONFAN18 » Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:38 am

packers21 wrote:

Totally agree here, so many officials seem to be in love with the charge call. Lots of these kids must dual sport in drama Bc they can sell it.

I think people need to just sit back and enjoy the game. There are so many misconceptions regarding the rule book that it is really distracting.

Can either of you, without using google, give a very basic explanation of the rules relating to legal guarding position, incidental contact, and player control fouls?
BISONFAN18
NDPreps Starter

Postby BISONFAN18 » Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:40 am

I am hoping to get to Bismarck today to watch the rest of the tournament. I don't have a team in this fight, but rather looking forward to watching in person and being a part of the atmosphere.
BISONFAN18
NDPreps Starter

Postby RiverMiner99 » Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:54 am

When was the last time that 3 of the last 4 teams were from the west? For that matter when was the last time the championship game was between 2 teams from the west. I'm defining west as Regions 5-8.
RiverMiner99
NDPreps Starter

Postby maddog1971 » Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:34 am

Powers Lake was just plain out classed. I was hoping they would have a better game plan to give them a chance but it was not in the cards for them. I think these big floor and the big kids killed PLB.
Did not get to watch the second game but I heard it was a really good game until middle of the 3rd.
CC and Warwick was way better game than I thought. Warwick gave them all they could handle and a couple bounces the other way and CC was in trouble. I think once CC quit complaining about physical play and lack of fouls being called.... they started playing physical and won the game.
DLB is my choice to win in all. They need to keep their head at the end of games because that was almost a huge fail at the end of the game. Taking quick shots instead of working the clock... turnovers.... but Thompson did not take advantage. I really like how DLB moves the ball and plays as a team. I don't think they have the best players in the tournament but they have the best team.
Also I don't know what has happened in Class B but if you are a big guy, you are not going to get any calls... If you are over 6'2, you better wear a helmet and pads.... and if someone comes charging in the lane at you... you better run the other way because if you touch a little guard you are getting a foul called on you.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby WalkingStick » Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:58 am

RiverMiner99 wrote:When was the last time that 3 of the last 4 teams were from the west? For that matter when was the last time the championship game was between 2 teams from the west. I'm defining west as Regions 5-8.

First question: 2016
2nd question: 2007

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby d_fense » Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:59 am

NDbaseballguy2 wrote:

I guess my question would be what considers a player “set” as in set to take a charge. Obviously have to be outside of the restricted arc, but do you need to be standing still for more than a second?

No you do not. You only need to be in a legal guarding position. you may be moving and still draw a charge on the offensive player.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby justplayalready » Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:30 am

You don't see as much pressure on the ball in B as you do in A...I guess I was talking about when a a defender is in "legal guarding position" and is all handsy and pushy, and the instant where the offensive player wants to clear a bit of space and the arm comes away from him at all or a shoulder is lowered to blow by, the defender flops back and gets a call...Seems like there are guys that specialize in this..lol

The restricted area is a whole nother thing lol
justplayalready
NDPreps All-State

Postby d_fense » Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:32 am

BISONFAN18 wrote:
packers21 wrote:
justplayalready wrote:
Can either of you, without using google, give a very basic explanation of the rules relating to legal guarding position, incidental contact, and player control fouls?

I'll tackle this one.
Legal guarding position. I like to think of it as being in an athletic stance. (Good posture, not leaning, feet can't be to far apart). You can definitely be moving.

Incidental contact. Contact that does not create an advantage is allowed. This is were judgement totally come into play. You asked to not go into definitions, so I will not. But, incidental isn't a good word to use. Contact whether intention or not is a foul if it creates and advantage. If I am bumping player A when he is bring the ball up the court and it doesn't affect him, it isn't a foul. If I give the same contact to player B when he is bring the ball up the court and it is clearly creating an advantage for me, it should be a foul. That is where judgement come into play.

Player control fouls Ok, I get mad when people say things that just are not true. So I must state that I am not 100% on this one. My understanding is, a player control fouls is when the offensive player (who has the ball) commits' a foul, such as charging. When this happens a personal foul is counted against him, but regardless of the number of team fouls, no free throws are awarded, only possession of the ball. I want to say that I have seen player control fouls called against offensive players who have not had possession of the ball though. An example would be a push away from the ball. Like I said, i am not certain on this.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby winner-within » Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:06 am

Warwick, Third best team in the Tournament on Thursday would have beat anybody but maybe not Shiloh, although that would have been close too
I didn't understand why so many were picking them 8th place finisher, in the 4th quarter they went away from why the had gained the lead in the 3rd and that cost them the game, I think people forgot what Region they come out of, Region 4 is Hardcore Basketball Country and has been since the beginning
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby RiverMiner99 » Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:24 am

winner-within wrote:Warwick, Third best team in the Tournament on Thursday would have beat anybody but maybe not Shiloh, although that would have been close too
I didn't understand why so many were picking them 8th place finisher, in the 4th quarter they went away from why the had gained the lead in the 3rd and that cost them the game, I think people forgot what Region they come out of, Region 4 is Hardcore Basketball Country and has been since the beginning

I'm not sure about the 3rd best team on Thursday. The only thing for sure was that they were the 2nd best team in the game they played. I thought both DLB and Thompson were better. Bismarck was better as well. Beulah was better in the 2nd half, maybe not the entire game. People that picked them to finish 8th could still be correct. Warwick played a good game and gave them a chance to knock off #1. They just ended up with a few too many turnovers. They ran into a scoring drought to start the 4th quarter that became too much to overcome. Matchups like these can be the best part of THE B. Everyone other the CC fans were cheering for Warwick. It was fun to see White and Eaglestaff cheering them on.
RiverMiner99
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndlionsfan » Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:48 am

ndlionsfan wrote:Warwick has a tough draw for their first two games, but I am rooting for them to pick up a win next weekend. They have never won a state tournament game, so I'm betting on them to get that. I doubted them in the region tournament and not going to doubt them again.

I think we see some upsets next weekend. I think Yale from DLB is going to cause some matchup problems and could lead to some upsets. I think Beulah and Shiloh are playing well. Don't know much about any of the teams as Warwick is the only one I've seen play this year.

I'm picking DLB to make a run to the championship game against Shiloh, but Shiloh winning it all. I'll take Beulah over CC for 3rd, Powers Lake over Thompson for 5th, and Warwick over MPB for 7th.

After day one I'll stick with my original predictions in the semis. I didn't get to watch the first two games but listened to them on the radio. I thought DLB was the most impressive team day one. Really liked their passing and team offense. Yale is a great passer and they utilize him well with the ball in his hands every possession.

Shiloh vs Beulah should be a good game. I just think Shiloh pulls it out at the end and moves on.

CC vs DLB should also be a good game and both teams match up well with each other. I think Yale will be the difference, but look forward to watching the two big men battle.

PL-BC vs MPB is a tossup. MPB played well in the first half, but struggled in the second. PL-BC fell behind early and just couldn't get back into it. I didn't get to see either play yesterday so not sure how they match up with each other. Gut feeling is MPB with the win.

Warwick vs Thompson. Warwick played great for 3 quarters yesterday then the offense went flat. I think they match up better with Thompson than they did with CC. The Warriors will have the entire gym rooting for them again and I think they'll pull off the win.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby BISONFAN18 » Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:51 am

d_fense wrote:
BISONFAN18 wrote:
packers21 wrote:
justplayalready wrote:

I'll tackle this one.
Legal guarding position. I like to think of it as being in an athletic stance. (Good posture, not leaning, feet can't be to far apart). You can definitely be moving.

Incidental contact. Contact that does not create an advantage is allowed. This is were judgement totally come into play. You asked to not go into definitions, so I will not. But, incidental isn't a good word to use. Contact whether intention or not is a foul if it creates and advantage. If I am bumping player A when he is bring the ball up the court and it doesn't affect him, it isn't a foul. If I give the same contact to player B when he is bring the ball up the court and it is clearly creating an advantage for me, it should be a foul. That is where judgement come into play.

Player control fouls Ok, I get mad when people say things that just are not true. So I must state that I am not 100% on this one. My understanding is, a player control fouls is when the offensive player (who has the ball) commits' a foul, such as charging. When this happens a personal foul is counted against him, but regardless of the number of team fouls, no free throws are awarded, only possession of the ball. I want to say that I have seen player control fouls called against offensive players who have not had possession of the ball though. An example would be a push away from the ball. Like I said, i am not certain on this.

These are pretty good answers. I am going to start a new thread to avoid distracting from the B. I was able to make it to Bismarck despite the weather, and I am glad I did. Some great basketball being played.
BISONFAN18
NDPreps Starter

Postby RiverMiner99 » Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:00 am

Sorenson23 wrote:1st - Shiloh Christian
2nd - Central Cass
3rd - Beulah
4th - Des Lacs-Burlington
5th - Powers Lake-Burke Central
6th - Thompson
7th - Medina-Pingree-Buchanan
8th - Warwick

Perfect Bracket alert.
RiverMiner99
NDPreps Starter

Postby RiverMiner99 » Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:01 am

UNDSiouxfan wrote:1st - Central Cass
2nd - Bismarck
3rd - DLB
4th - Beulah
5th - Thompson
6th - Powers Lake
8th - Warwick

Perfect Bracket alert.
RiverMiner99
NDPreps Starter

Postby RiverMiner99 » Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:10 pm

Who will all the the non CC & Bismarck fans be cheering for tonight? A class B school with an enrollment over 300 or the Region 5 private school that has been at the state tournament 11 of the last 13 years?

These 2 schools are the poster children for why there will be 3 classes.
RiverMiner99
NDPreps Starter

Postby WalkingStick » Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:20 pm

RiverMiner99 wrote:Who will all the the non CC & Bismarck fans be cheering for tonight? A class B school with an enrollment over 300 or the Region 5 private school that has been at the state tournament 11 of the last 13 years?

Central Cass may be large but they haven’t been successful at state since 1968…rarely at State recently (9 times is deceiving since most happened well before the 2000s)

Shiloh has been there the most since 2000 and 10 of last 12 tournaments (including Covid year)
Last edited by WalkingStick on Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Sorenson23 » Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:27 pm

RiverMiner99 wrote:
UNDSiouxfan wrote:1st - Central Cass
2nd - Bismarck
3rd - DLB
4th - Beulah
5th - Thompson
6th - Powers Lake
8th - Warwick

Perfect Bracket alert.

Not anymore, mine is busted. :D
Sorenson23
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Sorenson23 » Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:36 pm

RiverMiner99 wrote:Who will all the the non CC & Bismarck fans be cheering for tonight? A class B school with an enrollment over 300 or the Region 5 private school that has been at the state tournament 11 of the last 13 years?

Shiloh has finished in every place, but first.
Sorenson23
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby leroybla » Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:23 pm

Question for Region 4 fans: How would FWM compete against each of the top 4 teams that played on championship nite?
leroybla
NDPreps All-Conference

PreviousNext

Return to Boys