Top Performers going into regionals?

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Top Performers going into regionals?

Postby NDbaseballguy2 » Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:11 pm

Would like to know some players who are playing well, teams doing well, and suprise upsets possible?
NDbaseballguy2
NDPreps Reserve

Re: Top Performers going into regionals?

Postby Region 1 Fan » Sun Feb 26, 2023 1:55 pm

Region 2: NB playing very well. Probably have the top 2 kid combo in Class B in Stainbrook and Cosley. Both kids are having fantastic years. Beginning of the year, I had them as my favorites to represent Region 2. If they continue to get the production from their top 2 players and their role players can produce, they will be a difficult matchup throughout the tourney.
Sleeper team would be Mayville. Like how they have played the second half of the season.
Region 1 - No surprise but this is CC's region to win. The beat down against SC last night confirmed that they are the best team in the State and have 4 kids that on any given night can beat you. Can't key on anyone as all 4 kids are very good players.
Sleepers: Kindred and OG.
Kindred: Young team but maybe the most athletic team out of all 12 teams in Region. Big win against an overrated SC team last week should give this young team a lot of confidence heading into tourney. Look for this team to make Championship game in Region 1 tourney.
Oak Grove: Could be a scarry team to face if they can get some production from their role players.
Last edited by Region 1 Fan on Sun Feb 26, 2023 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Region 1 Fan
NDPreps Starter

Postby packers21 » Sun Feb 26, 2023 3:01 pm

Region 1 Fan wrote:Region 2: NB playing very well. Probably have the top 2 kid combo in Class B in Stainbrook and Cosley. Both kids are having fantastic years. Beginning of the year, I had them as my favorites to represent Region 2. If they continue to get the production from their top 2 players and their role players can produce, they will be a difficult matchup throughout the tourney.
Sleeper team would be Mayville. Like how they have played the second half of the season.
Region 1 - No surprise but this is CC's region to win. The beat down against SC last night confirmed that they are the best team in the State and have 4 kids that on any given night can beat you. Can't key on anyone as all 4 kids are very good players.
Sleepers: Kindred and OG.
Kindred: Young team but maybe the most athletic team out of all 12 teams in Region. Big win against an overrated SC team last week should give this young team a lot of confidence heading into tourney. Look for this team to make Championship game in Region 1 tourney.
Oak Grove: Could be a scarry team to face if they can get some production from their role players players.

I don't think Sargent County is overrated at all, they are a seasoned team who will be a tough out. 18-2 regular season speaks for itself. Everyone is back to 0-0 now.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby WalkingStick » Sun Feb 26, 2023 3:05 pm

Overrated but they beat Region 1 fan’s team (Oak Grove)…must mean OG is overrated too :roll:

SC hit some struggles at the end of the season…time to hit the recharge button and prepare for Richland/Lisbon
One Stop Shop for All North Dakota Scores
https://www.northdakotaprepscoreboards.com/

"Control what you can control...Can't fix ignorant people"
WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Region 1 Fan » Sun Feb 26, 2023 3:24 pm

WalkingStick wrote:Overrated but they beat Region 1 fan’s team (Oak Grove)…must mean OG is overrated too :roll:

SC hit some struggles at the end of the season…time to hit the recharge button and prepare for Richland/Lisbon

Yes, they struggled to win against OG without their best player. SC's schedule wasn't that difficult. Give them credit, they won the games they scheduled. Their most impressive win was against Hillsboro on the road. Their other quality wins were at home where they didn't win impressively.
OG is what their record says they are. Average team that plays to the level of their competition. Bad "L's" to Richland and MV cost them a real chance to get into top 3 and avoid a 2nd round potential matchup against CC. I'm a homer so rooting for OG. Unlike you're last comment, I can still look at things objectively. Hatfield and Bakkegard on any given night can lead their team to an upset at Regionals. They have produced all year. No reason to think they won't continue. If others on the team don't step up, they could get beat by Hankinson and then it's on to next year.
Region 1 Fan
NDPreps Starter

Postby WalkingStick » Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:37 pm

Region 1 Fan wrote:
WalkingStick wrote:Overrated but they beat Region 1 fan’s team (Oak Grove)…must mean OG is overrated too :roll:

Yes, they struggled to win against OG without their best player. SC's schedule wasn't that difficult. Give them credit, they won the games they scheduled. Their most impressive win was against Hillsboro on the road. Their other quality wins were at home where they didn't win impressively.
OG is what their record says they are. Average team that plays to the level of their competition. Bad "L's" to Richland and MV cost them a real chance to get into top 3 and avoid a 2nd round potential matchup against CC. I'm a homer so rooting for OG. Unlike you're last comment, I can still look at things objectively. Hatfield and Bakkegard on any given night can lead their team to an upset at Regionals. They have produced all year. No reason to think they won't continue. If others on the team don't step up, they could get beat by Hankinson and then it's on to next year.

I see things objectively too…they are a good team but lacking depth and consistent additional scoring help…I just like to keep an open mind for the whole region. Anything can happen as now everyone is 0-0…clean slate

Central Cass has been playing at a different level for the past month and have the depth.

I like CC over SC in the final…wouldn’t be shocked to see K in the final either.

If the Civic Center was still around hosting regions…I’d pick OG…that was their place of dominance :!: They haven’t been very successful in Wahpeton

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby maddog1971 » Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:28 am

SC loss to Kindred was basically meaningless. Plus they had a couple players that were playing sick but will be healthy by next week. The problem I see with SC right now is playing in a big gym. Seems like they are uncomfortable in those environments. Also the CC game they were just way out coached. They were not ready for the defense and the press. Looked lost. When they started to attack they found their feet but it was to late.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby defensewinsgames » Mon Feb 27, 2023 12:09 pm

I would put region 2 in tiers like this:

Favorites:
- Thompson: have played a very difficult schedule seeing most of the top teams around the state. They had 3 losses before Christmas then I think their young talent figured it out, they assumed roles, and played very good basketball. They have lost 3 lately to Sacred Heart, MayPort, and Four Winds. I believe they are the deepest, most balanced, and most complete team in the region. They should also be battled tested because of the tough schedule. Biggest weakness - I think ego/poor decisions gets to this team sometimes and a few individuals try to play superman but I still would pick them as the top team.
- North Border: If Thompson is 1 this team is 1A. They have two of the top 5 players in the region (and maybe it's 2 of the top 3). They shoot the ball very well from deep and when those two are rolling they can get 60 between them. The other kids play their roles well. Their only two losses are Grafton and Thompson but they have played a very weak non-region schedule compared to the other top teams and then lost to two of the best teams in the region so I struggle to know how 3 nights in a row of top teams goes for them. Biggest weakness - no depth. They play 6 kids and really only 5 if they can help it. They will need big contributions from 3 through 6 when teams key in on the top two.

Can make a run but have weakness they need to overcome:
- HCV: They are big, physical, athletic, strong, and experienced but they don't have much for guard play, struggle to shoot the 3, and if you can shoot them out of the zone are in trouble. Worst matchup: North Border.
- Grafton: They are fast, athletic, play defense, and can shoot in bunches but lack true size, are shallow off the bench, and have really struggled to defend top tier posts. Worst Matchup: HCV.
- MayPort: They are well balanced, work hard, are athletic, and have some depth but defensive consistency has been an issue and the matchups against some of the top teams aren't great. Worst Matchup: North Border

Teams that may push someone for at least part of a game:
- Midway: They shoot well from outside at 4 or 5 spots on the floor and work very hard but are tiny and struggle to play defense in the half court (especially down low). If they catch fire from outside though they could push a team like MayPort or HCV. Bad Matchups for them: Thompson, HCV, MayPort.
- Cavalier: They also can shoot threes, get balanced scoring, and have shown they can play with top teams but have little size and seem to struggle to score enough to beat top teams. If they shoot it well from outside and execute defensive game plans like previously they could be a scrappy team against a team like HCV or NB. Bad matchups for them: Thompson and MayPort.
- PRFL: They have good size, a couple of very nice players (one guard and one post), and have decent depth but have been very up and down this season (but played with MayPort the whole game and HCV for a half). They will need to get balanced scoring and hit some outside shots. If they do they could push a team like HCV or MayPort. Bad matchups for them: Grafton and Thompson.
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby pastflyer » Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:35 pm

defensewinsgames wrote:I would put region 2 in tiers like this:

Favorites:
- Thompson: have played a very difficult schedule seeing most of the top teams around the state. They had 3 losses before Christmas then I think their young talent figured it out, they assumed roles, and played very good basketball. They have lost 3 lately to Sacred Heart, MayPort, and Four Winds. I believe they are the deepest, most balanced, and most complete team in the region. They should also be battled tested because of the tough schedule. Biggest weakness - I think ego/poor decisions gets to this team sometimes and a few individuals try to play superman but I still would pick them as the top team.
- North Border: If Thompson is 1 this team is 1A. They have two of the top 5 players in the region (and maybe it's 2 of the top 3). They shoot the ball very well from deep and when those two are rolling they can get 60 between them. The other kids play their roles well. Their only two losses are Grafton and Thompson but they have played a very weak non-region schedule compared to the other top teams and then lost to two of the best teams in the region so I struggle to know how 3 nights in a row of top teams goes for them. Biggest weakness - no depth. They play 6 kids and really only 5 if they can help it. They will need big contributions from 3 through 6 when teams key in on the top two.

Can make a run but have weakness they need to overcome:
- HCV: They are big, physical, athletic, strong, and experienced but they don't have much for guard play, struggle to shoot the 3, and if you can shoot them out of the zone are in trouble. Worst matchup: North Border.
- Grafton: They are fast, athletic, play defense, and can shoot in bunches but lack true size, are shallow off the bench, and have really struggled to defend top tier posts. Worst Matchup: HCV.
- MayPort: They are well balanced, work hard, are athletic, and have some depth but defensive consistency has been an issue and the matchups against some of the top teams aren't great. Worst Matchup: North Border

Teams that may push someone for at least part of a game:
- Midway: They shoot well from outside at 4 or 5 spots on the floor and work very hard but are tiny and struggle to play defense in the half court (especially down low). If they catch fire from outside though they could push a team like MayPort or HCV. Bad Matchups for them: Thompson, HCV, MayPort.
- Cavalier: They also can shoot threes, get balanced scoring, and have shown they can play with top teams but have little size and seem to struggle to score enough to beat top teams. If they shoot it well from outside and execute defensive game plans like previously they could be a scrappy team against a team like HCV or NB. Bad matchups for them: Thompson and MayPort.
- PRFL: They have good size, a couple of very nice players (one guard and one post), and have decent depth but have been very up and down this season (but played with MayPort the whole game and HCV for a half). They will need to get balanced scoring and hit some outside shots. If they do they could push a team like HCV or MayPort. Bad matchups for them: Grafton and Thompson.

I'd have to argue that NB didn't have that weak of a non region schedule. They beat North Prairie, St John, Kindred and MPB in non region games. Their Thompson loss was before Christmas. Not sure what happened to them at Grafton, but I don't think they've played as weak of teams as they have in the past.
pastflyer
NDPreps Reserve

Postby defensewinsgames » Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:01 pm

Because it the past their non-region schedule was really a joke....here are the top 5 teams in region 2 and their non-region schedules:

Thompson - Central Cass, Shiloh, Bishop Ryan, Kindred, Rugby, Four Winds, Sacred Heart

HCV - Kindred, Oak Grove, Ada Borup, Sargent County, Four Winds, North Star, Central Cass

Grafton - Grand Forks Central, Central Cass, Kindred, North Star, Stephen-Argyle, Oak Grove

MayPort - Central Cass, LaMoure, Richland, Northern Cass, Kindred

North Border - Warwick, North Prairie, St. John, Kindred, Lakota, Medina

North Border and MayPort have much weaker schedules out of region than the other 3. Two of the top teams N. Border played were in shoot out settings (Thunder Christmas and Class B day) so you don't really have control over who you play there. If you are being objective I don't understand how you can say that isn't a weak non-region schedule compared to Thompson, Grafton, HCV. Anything you have to preface with "that weak" or "I don't think they've played as many weak of teams as they have in the past." is probably not a great point. You will notice they are the only top team that doubles up PRFL, DVE, and Cavalier. HCV only doubles up Grafton and Thompson and MayPort, Grafton only doubles up HCV and Cavalier, Thompson only doubles up HCV, MayPort only doubles up HCV. Pretty tough to look at those schedules and say North Border doesn't have the weakest by far. 11 of their wins were by teams with a losing record, Thompson had 6 wins versus teams with a losing record....Give Thompson 2 wins not one vs. Cavalier, PRFL, and DVE and they have 16 wins plus they didn't even get to play Hatton....you play who is on the schedule and they won those games....I get that but let's be honest about it not defend it.
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby pastflyer » Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:38 pm

The reason those 2 have a weaker non region schedule is because they both are true class b schools that go through the ups and downs small schools go through. NB used to play Grafton twice until they got dropped because Grafton blew them out every single time and wanted more competetive games. They have actial down years, unlike the other 3 teams being mentioned, who will all be middle class next year. NB is also stuck on the Canadian border and has to drive a million miles to get to anywhere, so if they can keep travel a bit closer it helps. I don't disagree with you saying they have a weaker schedule than those others, but give a little credit for working to get better teams and beating those better teams.
pastflyer
NDPreps Reserve

Postby WalkingStick » Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:43 am

North Border could only beat the teams the AD put on the schedule...I know their coaches had to beg to get Medina and Kindred on it over the past two seasons.

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby defensewinsgames » Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:38 am

May have to re-evaluate some of my thoughts after last night...Thompson has lost 4 of the last 6 while HCV has won 7 of the last 8, North Border has won 9 in a row, Grafton has won 6 in a row, and MayPort has won 7 of the last 8. Two ways to look at that...is Thompson getting tournament prepped by losing close games to some top teams or are they struggling right now? Time will tell I guess. This will be a fantastic regional tournament - last one may be one of the best in a long while. Starting from the 4 vs. 5 game and running up until championship night, it should be one great game after another.
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby Class B » Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:39 am

Does anyone know the last time Rugby did NOT qualify for a Regional tournament...before 2023?
Class B
NDPreps Starter

Postby Attack the Process » Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:41 am

Class B,

I believe it was 2007 by looking at NDHSAA yearbooks.
Attack the Process
NDPreps Starter

Postby WalkingStick » Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:17 pm

Class B wrote:Does anyone know the last time Rugby did NOT qualify for a Regional tournament...before 2023?

2009 per my website postseason history documents (years and years of research)

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Attack the Process » Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:24 pm

Mine was more of a couple of minutes of research, so I would go with WalkingStick :lol:

WalkingStick wrote:
Class B wrote:Does anyone know the last time Rugby did NOT qualify for a Regional tournament...before 2023?

Attack the Process
NDPreps Starter

Postby WalkingStick » Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:26 pm

Attack the Process wrote:Mine was more of a couple of minutes of research, so I would go with WalkingStick :lol:

WalkingStick wrote:

Before 2009, it was 2003.

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby defensewinsgames » Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:02 am

Which teams are on upset alert tonight? Looking for games where legitimate upsets are possible.
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby RiverMiner99 » Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:56 am

defensewinsgames wrote:Which teams are on upset alert tonight? Looking for games where legitimate upsets are possible.

North Prairie
Standing Rock
Westhope/Newburg
RiverMiner99
NDPreps Starter

Postby defensewinsgames » Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:50 am

Out east I look for North Border, Medina, Sargent County, and North Prairie to be potential upsets.

North Border is a 4 vs. 5 matchup but they are ranked in state and seems to be the trendy pick in region 2 right now. MayPort flew more under the radar than they should have IMO. I think that will be a great game and most would be surprised if NB lost the 1st round.

Richland has the ability to beat Sargent County if they are healthy. I have no idea if they are or not.

Carrington is a scrappy team they almost beat Thompson at the end of the year. It wouldn't shock me to see them give Medina everything they want and more.

St. John was able to beat N. Prairie in the last game they played this season. I think North Prairie got woken up by that and ends up winning by 15+ but last game showed it can be a real tight one.
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby NDbaseballguy2 » Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:42 pm

North Prairie is ranked #2 in the region, with FWM #1 on the other side of the bracket. North Prairie plays SJ tonight, I don’t see them losing to SJ… However, I see North Star #5 upsetting Dunseith #4, I believe that is going to be a really close game. I also think that Warwick #6 could upset HWC #3 if a good game is played, and if the Warwick teams outside shooters can heat up, I think Grossman would have to have 25+ tonight.
NDbaseballguy2
NDPreps Reserve

Postby packers21 » Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:46 pm

Here are some potential upsets I could see happening.

Any team that was at Girls State BB

North Border-Only 2 losses on the season but got terrrible draw against MPCG

HCV- Cavalier played them to 2 points this year in Cavalier.

MPB-in unfamiliar territory

South Border-tough draw against Ellendale

North Prairie-St. John has been hot and healthy

Standing Rock-Flasher is team that always plays its best in the post-season

Minot Ryan-Could see Haerer absolutely going off for Bottineau

DT-Finally not playing in their home gym

Trenton-Playing big bad Stanley
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby NDbaseballguy2 » Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:46 pm

RiverMiner99 wrote:
defensewinsgames wrote:Which teams are on upset alert tonight? Looking for games where legitimate upsets are possible.

North Prairie
Standing Rock
Westhope/Newburg

I don’t see North Prairie losing again. SJ shoots very well in home gym, and North Prairie definitely had an off night. 6 points in first quarter to SJ’s 18. I’m surprised NP was able to come back and make it close again. Leas is going for 25 tonight, Mattson is too athletic and will likely guard Brayton Baker, I don’t see anyone guarding NP’s big guy, and you know the other kids can heat up too. Rosinski and Grant could get a lot of opportunities being that Leas is probably going to get chased tonight.
NDbaseballguy2
NDPreps Reserve

Postby WalkingStick » Mon Mar 06, 2023 1:03 pm

Wouldn't be shocked to see Hankinson pull the 4/5 upset tonight in R1...OG has struggled in Wahpeton the past couple of years regions has been there.

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Next

Return to Boys