Region 1 Discussion

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Region 1 Discussion

Postby Flip » Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:30 pm

Region 1 Fan wrote:
I don't disagree with the team defensive that OG has played this year. That's part of the reason why I don't have them as favorites to win Region 1 - Possibly a semi-finals team this year. CC is by far the best team. I took offense to this line that Maddog said: " I think they play to much, how many points can I score tonight and defenses is not for them" Makes it seem like certain kids on the team may be selfish and only interested in how many points they can score. I appreciate all opinions, but when you always hear the negatives about Privates all the time from certain people on this blog, it does become frustrating. I am an OG supporter, have been for 35 plus years. They have been fortunate to have two great coaches during that time (Carnal and Card). I've had kids go through the school and hope to have my grandson going there as well. Just don't like the bashing all the time. If I took Maddog's post the wrong way, I am sorry for that. Don't think I did however...

He hates the private schools, but you're reading way too much into that.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby lennylive » Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:27 am

Maple River must be the Dark horse now due to beating OG last night...;)
lennylive
NDPreps Starter

Postby Sparty48 » Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:19 am

Hatfield didn’t play last night, anyone know why?
Central Cass beat Kindred last night without scoring in the 4th?
Bartholomay had 36 last night but Richland still wins an takes the 4th seed.
What is going on in the region this year.. can’t wait for the tournament.
Sparty48
NDPreps Starter

Postby wnrwnrckndnr » Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:56 am

https://www.inforum.com/sports/prep/end ... point-game

Been a good senior season for Carson.
wnrwnrckndnr
NDPreps Reserve

Postby WalkingStick » Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:21 am

Sparty48 wrote:Hatfield didn’t play last night, anyone know why?

Back - Hatfield per your live event broadcaster
One Stop Shop for All North Dakota Scores
https://www.northdakotaprepscoreboards.com/

"Control what you can control...Can't fix ignorant people"
WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Region 1 Fan » Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:31 am

Sparty48 wrote:Hatfield didn’t play last night, anyone know why?

Good win for CC last night! Hard fought win against a talented Kindred team.
Richland continues to amaze me on how they keep winning despite their key injuries - Great to see! Could stay in the top 4 but think Hankinson's will win out and take that spot. Will be interesting to see how it unfolds.
Hatfield was out because of a back injury that happened during Saturday's game. Hopefully not season ending but going to miss some significant time. Getting evaluated today.
Region 1 Fan
NDPreps Starter

Postby Sparty48 » Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:31 am

[/b]Big Region Friday Feb 10th

Hankinson @ Richland
Kindred @ Grafton
Park Christian @ Enderlin
Lisbon @ Maple River
Sargent County @ Oak Grove
Sparty48
NDPreps Starter

Postby UNDSiouxfan » Sun Feb 12, 2023 3:39 pm

With Richland losing their big guy, they'll have a tough time making any significant noise at Regionals this year. Currently, the teams most primed for a regional upset or two are Hankinson, WL, and Maple River. MR plays well every night and they're never an easy out. WL is back to being healthy, with having their best guard back in the lineup and their 7 footer. Any game with Kaczynski in the lineup is imposing for any offense, and they're just a much more solid team when he's healthy. Hankinson is playing great basketball right now, and they have a great rotation while putting a lot of pressure on teams.

Some of you have mentioned Sr Athlete of the Year predictions previously, & one that hasn't got much talk is Hernandez from Hankinson. Cruz had 28 the other night in Colfax, and has been a 5 year starter for their team. The Pirates got off to a bit of a slow start this year but their confidence is building each game. I see them making some serious noise at Regionals this year.

Enderlin's Bartholomey is also having a great Sr. season, and along with Hatfield & Hernandez I'd have them as my top 3 for Sr Athlete at this time.

CC & SC are the two top teams and they will be the favorites to meet in the Regional Final, but I'm sure we'll get an upset or two along the way. It's going to be a very exciting Region 1 tourney!
UNDSiouxfan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Region 1 Fan » Fri Feb 17, 2023 4:50 pm

When the regular season ends, here's how I see the seeding for the tourney going:
1. CC
2. Sargent County
3. OG - If they beat Kindred tonight and Northern Cass next week. If they lose to Kindred, they will be 5th
4. Kindred - If the win tonight, they will finish 3rd
5. Hankinson
6. Richland
7. NC
8. Lisbon
9. WL
10. MV
11. Enderlin
12. Tri-State

Quarterfinal matchup
1 CC vs 9 WL - CC Wins
2 SC vs 7NC - SC Wins
3 OG vs 6 Richland - OG Wins
4 Kindred vs 5 Hankinson - Kindred Wins

Semifinals
1 CC vs 4 Kindred - #4 Kindred upsets CC
2 SC vs 3 OG - #3 OG upsets SC

Finals
#3 OG up ends #4 Kindred and represents Region 1 at State
Never know, it could happen:)

Both OG and Kindred are the two scariest teams in the tourney. OG can beat anyone and could also lose to anyone. Which team shows up? Kindred, has so much young talent. Will youth be served?

Any other predictions out there?
Region 1 Fan
NDPreps Starter

Postby WalkingStick » Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:06 pm

CC's region to lose.

Kindred has to lose out to fall from #3 which means losing to Enderlin at Home...don't see that happening.

OG will fall in the 4-6 range...loss to MR may haunt them dearly.

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Sparty48 » Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:02 pm

#12 Enderlin @ #5 Hankinson
#11 Tri-State @ #6 Maple River
#10 Lisbon @ #7 Richland
#9 Northern Cass @ #8 Wyndmere/Lidgerwood

#1 Central Cass Vs winner 9/8
#2 Sargent County Vs winner 10/7
#3 Kindred Vs winner 11/6
#4 Oak Grove Vs winner 12/5

Gonna be a fun tournament!
Anyone can win it!
Sparty48
NDPreps Starter

Postby maddog1971 » Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:00 am

Hankinson does it again. I know I will get trashed but I just can not believe in a class B game a player shooting 30 times. I get it he made half of them and put points up in the game but he shot more times than the rest of the team combined.... BUT OG lack of defense and Lack of rebounding caused them the game.
CC rolled and looked like the team they can be. Hankinson is in trouble tonight.
Kindred played Defense but still lacked the ball movement. The ball sticks for them but they have talent that over come some of it. If they keep the Defense up and mentally tough.... They have a shot.
Sargent County.... I think the game the lost to Kindred in the extra game of the year really hurt them. They are playing tight and the coach needs to let them press and get running right out of the gate tonight to get them playing otherwise it will be a long night for them.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby RiverMiner99 » Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:45 am

Last edited by RiverMiner99 on Tue Mar 07, 2023 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RiverMiner99
NDPreps Starter

Postby WalkingStick » Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:54 am

RiverMiner99 wrote:
maddog1971 wrote:Hankinson does it again. I know I will get trashed but I just can not believe in a class B game a player shooting 30 times. I get it he made half of them and put points up in the game but he shot more times than the rest of the team combined.... BUT OG lack of defense and Lack of rebounding caused them the game.
CC rolled and looked like the team they can be. Hankinson is in trouble tonight.
Kindred played Defense but still lacked the ball movement. The ball sticks for them but they have talent that over come some of it. If they keep the Defense up and mentally tough.... They have a shot.
Sargent County.... I think the game the lost to Kindred in the extra game of the year really hurt them. They are playing tight and the coach needs to let them press and get running right out of the gate tonight to get them playing otherwise it will be a long night for them.

Can't be much fun playing with a player like that. Might be why they almost took down CC without him. Good scorer and will get his individual recognition when they announce the all region team, but he will be in street clothes for the photo and not wearing a jersey for a reason.

If he doesn't shoot that many times...is it even a game? Many of the other player's seemed to defer to his shooting, especially late in the game (even though he forced a bunch too). Hankinson was the better TEAM and they made the plays late in the game...OG couldn't contain Earl (who is only a freshman but is very, very good and very quick). It's been said on here a lot...role players play a role for OG...they didn't yesterday...some stepped up, some did not...didn't help for Bakkegard to struggle mightily as well cause then you are asking a lot of those role players. This was a rare OG team compared to past years...no depth...and it won't get any easier next year in the middle class while also being young (but no one on this board will care on that).

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby maddog1971 » Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:09 am

Great Scores are different that Great Basketball Players. You see if many times... Great Scorers can get you a win in a big game but they will never get you to holding up the State Trophy. That takes team work. AS I have said about Enderlin for the last few years.... I will take getting to the State Championship game over getting individual awards.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby packers21 » Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:31 am

RiverMiner99 wrote:
maddog1971 wrote:Hankinson does it again. I know I will get trashed but I just can not believe in a class B game a player shooting 30 times. I get it he made half of them and put points up in the game but he shot more times than the rest of the team combined.... BUT OG lack of defense and Lack of rebounding caused them the game.

Can't be much fun playing with a player like that. Might be why they almost took down CC without him. Good scorer and will get his individual recognition when they announce the all region team, but he will be in street clothes for the photo and not wearing a jersey for a reason.

I am not a Hatfield fan but you two are both wrong, OG woulda been better off if Hatfield shot 50 times last night. He shot over 50% from the field and was THE only reason it was even close. Hankinson completely dominated the second half physically, I would give them some credit, rather than blaming a HS kid.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby WalkingStick » Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:36 am

maddog1971 wrote:Great Scores are different that Great Basketball Players. You see if many times... Great Scorers can get you a win in a big game but they will never get you to holding up the State Trophy. That takes team work. AS I have said about Enderlin for the last few years.... I will take getting to the State Championship game over getting individual awards.

Never said anything like that...just was trying to give an opinion on the game yesterday...he took the shots, made over half of them just not the forced threes late in the game; he is still a great player who focuses more on scoring cause that's what the team needed of him, especially yesterday. No need to 'trash' the player for taking the shots and for the staff for allowing him to utilize his best asset to try to help his team win.

Game is over now and Hankinson won...let's start discussing the semifinals instead of the past.

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby RiverMiner99 » Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:51 am

packers21 wrote:
RiverMiner99 wrote:

I am not a Hatfield fan but you two are both wrong, OG woulda been better off if Hatfield shot 50 times last night. He shot over 50% from the field and was THE only reason it was even close. Hankinson completely dominated the second half physically, I would give them some credit, rather than blaming a HS kid.

Sounds like you are blaming all the other HS kids on that team. I don't think you are anyone else is intending this discussion to bash HS kids. We are just participating in sports discussions. One team will win that the other team will lose. There are reasons why one team wins and the other team does not. That is hard and why sports are great. Also, I think if these 2 teams were to play 10 times that OG would win more than 5.
RiverMiner99
NDPreps Starter

Postby Your daddy » Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:01 pm

Earl is one of the best young PGs I've seen in quite a while. Watching him singlehandedly break their press was fun to watch!
Your daddy
NDPreps Starter

Postby packers21 » Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:08 pm

RiverMiner99 wrote:
packers21 wrote:
RiverMiner99 wrote:

Sounds like you are blaming all the other HS kids on that team. I don't think you are anyone else is intending this discussion to bash HS kids. We are just participating in sports discussions. One team will win that the other team will lose. There are reasons why one team wins and the other team does not. That is hard and why sports are great. Also, I think if these 2 teams were to play 10 times that OG would win more than 5.

No, I am saying its his role to score the ball and that's what he did. I thought he should have shot it more, he was giving them the best chance. That's his role on the team.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby packers21 » Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:09 pm

Your daddy wrote:Earl is one of the best young PGs I've seen in quite a while. Watching him singlehandedly break their press was fun to watch!

He is already very good.
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Region 1 Fan » Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:01 pm

Give Hankinson a lot of credit last night. They played great, knocked down some HUGE shots and simply outworked OG on the glass. Great team win for them and should be an interesting matchup against CC tonight. I'm a little taken back on the bashing of one kid from OG. Honestly, a little difficult to digest, especially coming from adults. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but some of the comments are border line inappropriate and should be removed or at least restated. Hatfield has been a 2 year starter for OG; last year as a role player where he shot maybe 8 to 10 and avg. about 15 points per game - very efficient scorer. This year, his role changed and he and one other kid had to front the bulk of the scoring as this year's team wasn't as deep as year's past when it came to scorers. Hatfield's shots per game went up to 18 where he made nearly 60% of his attempts - again, even more efficient. He shot over 70% in the fourth quarter as well. Says a lot of his talents offensively. Comments like: "Can't be much fun playing with a player like that. Might be why they almost took down CC without him. Good scorer and will get his individual recognition when they announce the all region team, but he will be in street clothes for the photo and not wearing a jersey for a reason" and "I know I will get trashed but I just can not believe in a class B game a player shooting 30 times. I get it he made half of them and put points up in the game but he shot more times than the rest of the team combined...." are bashing and not what this site is all about. This isn't being objective or adding to a discussion, it's very hurtful and no kid should have to stumble across something like this and see his/her name used in such a way. No doubt about it, I'm a big OG fan and always will be. I'm also a fan of Hatfield! He's a tremendous talent and performed each and every game this year; doing exactly what he was told to do, score the ball and be a good leader, which he was. Not perfect, no one is but he did what was expected of him. Watching the game on "Your Life Events", even the commentators mentioned that the ball needs to go through Hatfield on every possession. Why was that comment made? Probably because it was evident that his teammates were struggling last night on the offensive end of the court and he (Hatfield) is capable of carrying a team offensively when he gets hot. Don't think he shot the ball 30 times however but I know he made over half his shots but was cold from 3 land (2 of those were in the last minute and one was a half court shot). Take those 3 shots out of the equation and he still shoots 30% from 3 land, which isn't great, especially for Hatfield's liking for sure. However, if he didn't shoot last night, where would the points have come from when their 2nd leading scorer had only 4 and they don't really have anyone else that can put up consistent points other than Johnson who had 10? If you watch the game and watched it without out hate for a kid, you would have seen him making nice passes to his teammates who just couldn't put it in the basket last night. I counted at least 6 assist that he should have had if his teammates would have just finished or made the open shot. That's basketball and life. Not always going to go your way but keep the posts free of negativity about a kid, they are borderline bashing and uncalled for, especially for adults. I know there is at least one writer on here that has skin in the game at OG. Hopefully that person can post what kind of kid Hatfield is off the court. There's a reason why all the younger OG's look up to him. He spends a lot of time with them and is a good example of a young man off of the court - If you knew some of the stories about this kid, maybe you might change your opinion about him. Please be respectful and know no kid deserves this type criticism or comments about them - might be different if he wasn't a great kid, but he is. Much deserving of making the All-Region 1 team, which I hope he has an opportunity to do.
Region 1 Fan
NDPreps Starter

Postby RiverMiner99 » Tue Mar 07, 2023 3:27 pm

Region 1 Fan wrote:Give Hankinson a lot of credit last night. They played great, knocked down some HUGE shots and simply outworked OG on the glass. Great team win for them and should be an interesting matchup against CC tonight. I'm a little taken back on the bashing of one kid from OG. Honestly, a little difficult to digest, especially coming from adults. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but some of the comments are border line inappropriate and should be removed or at least restated. Hatfield has been a 2 year starter for OG; last year as a role player where he shot maybe 8 to 10 and avg. about 15 points per game - very efficient scorer. This year, his role changed and he and one other kid had to front the bulk of the scoring as this year's team wasn't as deep as year's past when it came to scorers. Hatfield's shots per game went up to 18 where he made nearly 60% of his attempts - again, even more efficient. He shot over 70% in the fourth quarter as well. Says a lot of his talents offensively. Comments like: "Can't be much fun playing with a player like that. Might be why they almost took down CC without him. Good scorer and will get his individual recognition when they announce the all region team, but he will be in street clothes for the photo and not wearing a jersey for a reason" and "I know I will get trashed but I just can not believe in a class B game a player shooting 30 times. I get it he made half of them and put points up in the game but he shot more times than the rest of the team combined...." are bashing and not what this site is all about. This isn't being objective or adding to a discussion, it's very hurtful and no kid should have to stumble across something like this and see his/her name used in such a way. No doubt about it, I'm a big OG fan and always will be. I'm also a fan of Hatfield! He's a tremendous talent and performed each and every game this year; doing exactly what he was told to do, score the ball and be a good leader, which he was. Not perfect, no one is but he did what was expected of him. Watching the game on "Your Life Events", even the commentators mentioned that the ball needs to go through Hatfield on every possession. Why was that comment made? Probably because it was evident that his teammates were struggling last night on the offensive end of the court and he (Hatfield) is capable of carrying a team offensively when he gets hot. Don't think he shot the ball 30 times however but I know he made over half his shots but was cold from 3 land (2 of those were in the last minute and one was a half court shot). Take those 3 shots out of the equation and he still shoots 30% from 3 land, which isn't great, especially for Hatfield's liking for sure. However, if he didn't shoot last night, where would the points have come from when their 2nd leading scorer had only 4 and they don't really have anyone else that can put up consistent points other than Johnson who had 10? If you watch the game and watched it without out hate for a kid, you would have seen him making nice passes to his teammates who just couldn't put it in the basket last night. I counted at least 6 assist that he should have had if his teammates would have just finished or made the open shot. That's basketball and life. Not always going to go your way but keep the posts free of negativity about a kid, they are borderline bashing and uncalled for, especially for adults. I know there is at least one writer on here that has skin in the game at OG. Hopefully that person can post what kind of kid Hatfield is off the court. There's a reason why all the younger OG's look up to him. He spends a lot of time with them and is a good example of a young man off of the court - If you knew some of the stories about this kid, maybe you might change your opinion about him. Please be respectful and know no kid deserves this type criticism or comments about them - might be different if he wasn't a great kid, but he is. Much deserving of making the All-Region 1 team, which I hope he has an opportunity to do.

Post removed. Obviously, you know this team better than I. I only watch about half of the 2nd half after being told to tune is as it was a good game.
RiverMiner99
NDPreps Starter

Postby UNDSiouxfan » Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:55 pm

Had some excellent games in the Region 1 semifinals tonight.

Hankinson gave CC a good run tonight. CC led pretty much most of the way, Hankinson closed it to two late in the game but it just wasn't enough. Hernandez had a huge game for the Pirates, and IMO deserves Senior Athlete in Region 1 for the way he plays both ends of the court. Coach G from Hankinson may even get Coach of the Year, particularly with the effort that he gets from his players. They do not get outworked by anyone, and is a sign of an excellent coach. CC is really, really deep and they may have the best starting 5 in the state. Their #2 PG would start on 90% of teams, and they have no drop off when he comes in. When CC is hitting their 3's, they are a hard team to beat and that was the case again tonight.

SC & Kindred went back and forth all game, and Kindred's youth ended up being the difference. Kindred's coach went with their 8th grader most of the way, and he impressed. SC's lack of depth really hurt them, especially in the big games late in the year. I will say Kindred's coach is one of the best I've seen in scenarios where the clock is running down, and after a time out he always comes up with a clutch play. I know some people from Kindred complain about him, but I for one cannot comprehend why because he gets the most out of his players.

It was an awesome atmosphere at the Blikre in Wahpeton, and it was very interesting how everyone but CC was cheering for Hankinson and everyone but Kindred was cheering for SC. It just wasn't meant to be to have a small school advance to the Final this year, but it had the potential for a great storyline.

I'll take CC by a dozen over Kindred in the Final, and I honestly don't care about meaningless 3rd place games.
UNDSiouxfan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby maddog1971 » Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:01 am

Well Hankinson gave them everything they wanted that is for sure. It seemed like CC was in control and the next thing you knew.... Hankinson was back in it. A few more makes on a couple bunnies inside and this would have been the game the whole state was talking about.

Kindred and SC came down to coaching. SC coach lack of big game experience really showed at the end of the year. Teams prepped for them and SC did not adjust and adapt to how teams were playing them. They sped up Kindred in the 3rd and got a nice lead and then went back to taking the air out of the ball. Kindred had great plays drawn up for them at the end of the game and SC did nothing different. Kindred always has about 15 different plays if they need a basket and the backdoor for the dunk was one of the standards for this team.

When Kindred plays defense and and Peraza and Ousse rip down boards and play in the paint... they are tough to beat. BUT I will take CC in a close one.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

PreviousNext

Return to Boys