Region 1 Discussion

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Region 1 Discussion

Postby WalkingStick » Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:29 pm

UNDSiouxfan wrote:Barn burner in Hankinson tonight. CC wins a thriller over Hankinson 59-58.

Thought Hankinson should have tried to get to rim instead of taking that 3 so early.

OG def. Lisbon 68-50
NC def. Enderlin 66-63
Kindred def. Maple River 59-41
SC def. Richland 67-45 (Richland suffered some tough injuries in past 2 weeks)
W-L def. Tri-State 71-57
One Stop Shop for All North Dakota Scores
https://www.northdakotaprepscoreboards.com/

"Control what you can control...Can't fix ignorant people"
WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Sparty48 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:56 am

Big week coming up for the Region
January 26th
Maple River @ Northern Cass
Hankinson @ Sargent County
Oak Grove @ Central Cass
Wyndmere @ Kindred
Tri-State @ Richland
My picks
Sparty48
NDPreps Starter

Postby WalkingStick » Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:42 pm

Sparty48 wrote:Big week coming up for the Region
January 26th
Maple River @ Northern Cass
Hankinson @ Sargent County
Oak Grove @ Central Cass
Wyndmere @ Kindred
Tri-State @ Richland
My picks

I'll go with all the home teams

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby leroybla » Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:57 pm

Central Cass came from behind to defeat Oak Grove (without Hatfield) tonite 61-58 in Casselton. Oak Grove shot extremely well.
leroybla
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby defensewinsgames » Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:46 am

So now that we are about half way through the season; what are opinions on what teams could actually win the region? Who has the best chance to upset someone at the regional? Who has the best chance to make a run at state?
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby Sparty48 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:35 am

leroybla wrote:Central Cass came from behind to defeat Oak Grove (without Hatfield) tonite 61-58 in Casselton. Oak Grove shot extremely well.

What happened to Hatfield? Why was he out?
Sparty48
NDPreps Starter

Postby UNDSiouxfan » Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:41 am

defensewinsgames wrote:So now that we are about half way through the season; what are opinions on what teams could actually win the region? Who has the best chance to upset someone at the regional? Who has the best chance to make a run at state?

I think it's pretty clear that CC, Sargent County, Oak Grove, and Kindred are the top four teams.

For a run at state, CC & SC would have the best chance to make a run. They are the most well-rounded teams. CC is a better shooting team, but SC moves the ball well and doesn't rely on the 3 nearly as much as CC. Any of these top 4 teams could beat each other on any given night.

Upsets - the two best teams to have a chance at an upset are Richland & Hankinson. Both need to be healthy of course. Both teams have proven they can contend with these top 4, with Richland beating OG & Hankinson playing well as of late and nearly knocking off CC. Hankinson also had the lead vs Oak Grove at halftime, but OG went on a big run in the 2nd half.

It should be a very exciting 2nd half of the season!
UNDSiouxfan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby WalkingStick » Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:37 pm

Sparty48 wrote:
leroybla wrote:Central Cass came from behind to defeat Oak Grove (without Hatfield) tonite 61-58 in Casselton. Oak Grove shot extremely well.

What happened to Hatfield? Why was he out?

Illness

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby leroybla » Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:52 pm

Central Cass defeated Hillsboro-CV 61-52 this afternoon in Hillsboro.
leroybla
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Sparty48 » Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:25 pm

With Kindred beating DGF is it safe to say that Region 1 could compete in Heart OF Lakes conference in MN? Oak Grove plays DGF at Oak Grove Monday.
Sparty48
NDPreps Starter

Postby WalkingStick » Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:21 pm

Sparty48 wrote:With Kindred beating DGF is it safe to say that Region 1 could compete in Heart OF Lakes conference in MN? Oak Grove plays DGF at Oak Grove Monday.

Realize they played this game with a shot clock so normal strategies were different in this game, agreed upon decision to prepare for MN future BB (and will be different on Monday too…shot clock and 4 minutes less playing time).

HOL is also down this year but I’d bet on Perham vs any region 1 team!! OG beat Pelican Rapids only because their best player is out for season; DGF is the Owen Leach show if he’s cold or in foul trouble then they are in trouble, Breckinridge is bad, Frazee is bad, Barnesville & Hawley are decent but they don’t play any ND teams this year

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Sparty48 » Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:27 am

Feb 2nd Slate of games!

Northern Cass @ Richland
Wyndmere @ Sargent
Enderlin @ Oak Grove
Kindred @ Lisbon
Maple River @ Hankinson
Sparty48
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flying Wallenda » Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:43 am

Sparty48 wrote:Feb 2nd Slate of games!

Northern Cass @ Richland
Wyndmere @ Sargent
Enderlin @ Oak Grove
Kindred @ Lisbon
Maple River @ Hankinson

I could be wrong but I got Kindred by 15+ over Lisbon.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby WalkingStick » Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:10 am

Flying Wallenda wrote:
Sparty48 wrote:Feb 2nd Slate of games!

Northern Cass @ Richland
Wyndmere @ Sargent
Enderlin @ Oak Grove
Kindred @ Lisbon
Maple River @ Hankinson

I could be wrong but I got Kindred by 15+ over Lisbon.

Richland by 15
Sargent County by 25
Oak Grove by 25
Kindred by 15-20
Hankinson by 20

There really isn't a super close game on the docket tonight...maybe NC/Richland will be closer than my prediction

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Sparty48 » Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:13 am

With the season hitting it’s final 5-6 game leg till regions, we have
Top 4
Central Cass
Sargent
Kindred
Oak Grove
5-12
Richland
Hankinson
Wyndmere/Lidgerwood
Lisbon
Northern Cass
Maple River
Enderlin
Tri-State
Who has the best chance to get the byes for region play? Spots pretty much set? Biggest Dark Horse to cut down the nets? Big games Tuesday!
Sparty48
NDPreps Starter

Postby Region 1 Fan » Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:56 am

Region 1 tourney should be an interesting one - I think the dark horse that no one will want to play is Hankinson. They are playing very well and competed hard against Central Cass and Sargent County. They also played OG hard for 3 quarters as well.

If Richland was healthy, I would have them #4. Instead, I think they have an "L" in their next 3 region games and slide to #7. Love how hard they play but depth will catch up to them. Hope I'm wrong on this however.

Top 4 byes (predictions):
Really think it is a 2 team race on who wins the Region - CC is the strong favorites with Sargent County being the 2nd best team.
1. Central Cass - If they don't win Region 1, you can start making comparisons to the Enderlin teams the past 3 seasons. So much talent and should walk through Region 1 tourney.
2. Sargent County - Not much depth but starting 5 is solid
3. Kindred - Youth, youth and more youth - Might be a year away. I have them winning Region 1 next 2 years but not this year.
4. OG - Not a lot of depth but a scrappy team that will make things interesting come tourney time.

5-12 predictions:
5. Hankinson - Keeps getting better. Scrappy team that if hot from outside, could make it to Semi-Finals.
6. W/L - playing well as of late - Not much depth.
7. Richland - Injuries to key players will keep them out of Semi-Finals
8. Lisbon - Scrappy team but not enough to make final 4.
9. Northern Cass - Young team that if they can get hot from "3 land" might surprise some teams. Not much of a rebounding team however.
10. Maple River - Scrappy team. Not much depth.
11. Enderlin - Maybe going to 3 classes will help them in the future.
12. Tri-State - Record says all you need to know.
Region 1 Fan
NDPreps Starter

Postby maddog1971 » Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:37 pm

I like Central Cass coming out of this region but I do think they are beatable. They have played some games that a couple bounces or calls not go their way... they have a few losses on the year. I would not be surprised to see them getting upset in the second round. SC is the fan favorite to win in all and they have a chance. They get lots of second chance points and their hustle seems to bring them luck....
OG... you never know... I think they play to much "how many points can I score tonight" and defense is not for them. BUT they can get on a run and win 3 in a row. Kindred has lots of young talent that has not figure out how to win at the varsity level yet and without Sunram this year.... They have a very slim chance of winning this thing. If Sunram can comeback and play next year it will be Kindred's to lose.
Hankinson.... I believe they can upset someone but who is the biggest questions.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby Sparty48 » Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:29 am

Feb 7th.
Lisbon @ Northern Cass
Sargent County @ Tri- State
Richland @ Enderlin
Oak Grove @ Maple River
Central Cass @ Kindred
Hankinson @ Wyndmere/Lidgerwood
Sparty48
NDPreps Starter

Postby Region 1 Fan » Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:32 am

maddog1971 wrote:I like Central Cass coming out of this region but I do think they are beatable. They have played some games that a couple bounces or calls not go their way... they have a few losses on the year. I would not be surprised to see them getting upset in the second round. SC is the fan favorite to win in all and they have a chance. They get lots of second chance points and their hustle seems to bring them luck....
OG... you never know... I think they play to much "how many points can I score tonight" and defense is not for them.
BUT they can get on a run and win 3 in a row. Kindred has lots of young talent that has not figure out how to win at the varsity level yet and without Sunram this year.... They have a very slim chance of winning this thing. If Sunram can comeback and play next year it will be Kindred's to lose.
Hankinson.... I believe they can upset someone but who is the biggest questions.

[/b[b]]
Maddog, you obviously are not able to look at OG/Privates objectively. Not sure where your distain comes from but your comments are always negative when it comes to OG/Privates. Your quote, " I think they play to much, how many points can I score tonight and defenses is not for them" is incredibly naïve and shows just how ignorant you are. You are entitled to your own opinion, but I hope you would look at things more objectively and give credit where credit is deserved. OG's two primary scorers are Trey Hatfield and Rylee Bakkegard. Both very good players in Region 1. On the year, Trey is averaging 18 shot attempts and making 60% of his attempts for 26 pts a game (one of the most efficient scorers in the State this year) He is also averaging 8 rebounds and 3 steals a game. Rylee is averaging 12 shot attempts per game and making 43% of his shots while averaging 13 points a game, while dishing out 4 assists a game. When Hatfield was out against CC, Bakkegard stepped up and gave his team a chance to win against #2 in the state in their gym.

Pretty good #'s and not one stat shows that either kid being selfish in anyway. These #'s come from HUDL so you can verify them if you would like. This could be a scary team come Region Tourney.
Region 1 Fan
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:18 pm

Region 1 Fan, what part of maddog1071's post is untrue? Because you just made a long post (seemingly) arguing with him, but you said nothing contrary to his post.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby maddog1971 » Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:43 pm

UMM 18 shot attempts a game in class b Basketball is alot by the way. All I was saying is they are not big on playing defense and scoring on the offense of end seems to be what the team is all about. How is that bashing them? Many college and Pro teams do the same thing... and some of them are very successful. Some are not. Am I fan of how they play... not really... I like hard core defense and working the offense for a open shot or pound it inside....Inside out play for open 3's... I like Central Cass right now to win it but I think Sargent County works hard enough to come out of this region as well. I don't think Hankinson or Oak Grove can stay hot enough to win games but Maybe.... that is why we play the game.
By the way I have only watched them online 5 games.

They have given up 70,60,71,61,73,52,52,38,50,61,89,85,44,63..... Good defensive teams give up around 40 points a game....
CC has given up 47,39,34,29,35,44,41,28,19,46,58,48,58,52,53

So don't get mad at me that they don't like to play defense.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby WalkingStick » Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:35 pm

maddog1971 wrote:UMM 18 shot attempts a game in class b Basketball is alot by the way. All I was saying is they are not big on playing defense and scoring on the offense of end seems to be what the team is all about. How is that bashing them? Many college and Pro teams do the same thing... and some of them are very successful. Some are not. Am I fan of how they play... not really... I like hard core defense and working the offense for a open shot or pound it inside....Inside out play for open 3's... I like Central Cass right now to win it but I think Sargent County works hard enough to come out of this region as well. I don't think Hankinson or Oak Grove can stay hot enough to win games but Maybe.... that is why we play the game.

They have given up 70,60,71,61,73,52,52,38,50,61,89,85,44,63..... Good defensive teams give up around 40 points a game....

They play the game differently...the aim for more offensive possessions; they still play defense it's just not the in-your-face grind it out defense. They want to play FAST and wear down teams and create turnovers by making teams either play fast or play tired. It's worked well for them, and they've been very successful with it under Card.

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Region 1 Fan » Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:51 pm

Flip wrote:Region 1 Fan, what part of maddog1071's post is untrue? Because you just made a long post (seemingly) arguing with him, but you said nothing contrary to his post.

I don't disagree with the team defensive that OG has played this year. That's part of the reason why I don't have them as favorites to win Region 1 - Possibly a semi-finals team this year. CC is by far the best team. I took offense to this line that Maddog said: " I think they play to much, how many points can I score tonight and defenses is not for them" Makes it seem like certain kids on the team may be selfish and only interested in how many points they can score. I appreciate all opinions, but when you always hear the negatives about Privates all the time from certain people on this blog, it does become frustrating. I am an OG supporter, have been for 35 plus years. They have been fortunate to have two great coaches during that time (Carnal and Card). I've had kids go through the school and hope to have my grandson going there as well. Just don't like the bashing all the time. If I took Maddog's post the wrong way, I am sorry for that. Don't think I did however...
Region 1 Fan
NDPreps Starter

Postby Region 1 Fan » Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:09 pm

maddog1971 wrote:UMM 18 shot attempts a game in class b Basketball is alot by the way. All I was saying is they are not big on playing defense and scoring on the offense of end seems to be what the team is all about. How is that bashing them? Many college and Pro teams do the same thing... and some of them are very successful. Some are not. Am I fan of how they play... not really... I like hard core defense and working the offense for a open shot or pound it inside....Inside out play for open 3's... I like Central Cass right now to win it but I think Sargent County works hard enough to come out of this region as well. I don't think Hankinson or Oak Grove can stay hot enough to win games but Maybe.... that is why we play the game.

Yep, I agree with your defensive take on the team. That's the knock that I have with them as well. They try to speed up the other team on the defensive side and that at times has led to easy buckets for the other team as OG hasn't been consistent on rotating on the defensive end. I was just taken back from your comment that made it seem like they may have players on the team that are only interested in their personal stats. 18 Shots per game would be a lot if Hatfield was only making 5 or 6 of those shots. He's not, he's hitting on 60%. Not selfish if that is what's asked of you and expected from you on that particular team. Card will have this team ready for Regions. Win or lose, this team will represent the OG family very well.
Region 1 Fan
NDPreps Starter

Postby maddog1971 » Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:30 pm

I don't hate private schools by any means. I have some close ties to OG myself but I personally don't think they belong playing in Class B. I don't think any private schools do. IMO..... a discussion for another topic but... Heck if I had the money I might have sent my kids to a private but I do not....
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

PreviousNext

Return to Boys