2022-23 Regular Season Discussion (All Regions)

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season Discussion (All Regions)

Postby ndlionsfan » Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:24 pm

Flip wrote:Seems to be very little talk about FWM. Is it going to take a monster upset for them not to win it all this season? What are their strengths and weaknesses (if any)?

I'm not sure if they are head and shoulders above the rest like the were last season. North Prairie is the only team I feel would have a shot at knocking them off in Region 4. Across the state there may be some teams that would challenge them, though. Deng is an absolute athlete and will get his points every night. Leftbear is another great scorer and they seem to use both inside a bit more this year compared to last. After that I see more of a drop off for the rest of the team as far as scoring. They will get their points running their offense and defense producing opportunities, but I don't see other players that can really create their shot against top competition. They play great team pressure defense and that creates a lot of easy buckets for them. I definitely would like to see them at state to see if they can go back to back championships.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby leroybla » Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:50 pm

FWM has 6 wins against 3 teams on their record. The win over Oak Grove on the first night of the season tells little. Little else to brag about for FWM. Their toughest games are ahead of them as they finish their regular season.
leroybla
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby defensewinsgames » Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:13 am

Flip wrote:Seems to be very little talk about FWM. Is it going to take a monster upset for them not to win it all this season? What are their strengths and weaknesses (if any)?

I would not pick them as my favorite at this point in the season. I have seen everyone in the top 10 play at least once except Ellendale and Beulah. I personally like the trio of Bishop Ryan, Central Cass, and Thompson. Central Cass has been dominate. Bishop lost to Thompson early and Trinity last week. Thompson was choppy early against top teams and is rolling lately. Four Winds will make state and may not play a competitive game the whole regional tournament but I question their depth from the couple games I have watched as well as if they can get balanced enough scoring against the top teams. Four Winds beat Oak Grove 1st game, Trinity really early, and an up-and-down HCV team so not a lot of top matchups to learn from IMO. They have a game with Thompson this week which should tell us a lot about both teams. I would think a state tournament that went 1. Central Cass or Sargent County, 2. Thompson, 3. Ellendale, 4. Four Winds 5. Garrison or Shiloh, 6. Bishop Ryan, 7. Beulah or Bowman, 8. Powers Lake or Stanley would be really good. Not my preferred set of teams because I think it would include 3 big class b and 2 privates but it would be good games.
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flip » Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:47 am

Deng is an absolute athlete and will get his points every night. Leftbear is another great scorer and they seem to use both inside a bit more this year compared to last.

I thought Deng only scored from the inside last year.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby pastflyer » Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:15 pm

defensewinsgames wrote:

I would not pick them as my favorite at this point in the season. I have seen everyone in the top 10 play at least once except Ellendale and Beulah. I personally like the trio of Bishop Ryan, Central Cass, and Thompson. Central Cass has been dominate. Bishop lost to Thompson early and Trinity last week. Thompson was choppy early against top teams and is rolling lately. Four Winds will make state and may not play a competitive game the whole regional tournament but I question their depth from the couple games I have watched as well as if they can get balanced enough scoring against the top teams. Four Winds beat Oak Grove 1st game, Trinity really early, and an up-and-down HCV team so not a lot of top matchups to learn from IMO. They have a game with Thompson this week which should tell us a lot about both teams. I would think a state tournament that went 1. Central Cass or Sargent County, 2. Thompson, 3. Ellendale, 4. Four Winds 5. Garrison or Shiloh, 6. Bishop Ryan, 7. Beulah or Bowman, 8. Powers Lake or Stanley would be really good. Not my preferred set of teams because I think it would include 3 big class b and 2 privates but it would be good games.

Wouldn't a Class B Tournament of 1. Sargent County 2. North Border 3. Ellendale 4. North Prairie 5. Garrison 6.Westhope-Newburg 7. Bowman County 8. Powers Lake be fun! True Class B Basketball!!
pastflyer
NDPreps Reserve

Postby defensewinsgames » Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:56 pm

Yes that would be my ideal sort of state tournament. Especially this year with some great individuals playing in North Border (Stainbrook and Cosley) and North Prairie (Leahs) in particular that would be fun to watch for a lot of people around the state who may not have seen them play yet. Other teams have good players too but have more of a chance I feel like. Sargent County may have a shot next year with most of their core returning especially if a 3 class plan goes in and may get there this year as well. Powers and Bowman have had recent appearances and still have good chances this year to make it.
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby senditin » Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:11 pm

leroybla wrote:FWM has 6 wins against 3 teams on their record. The win over Oak Grove on the first night of the season tells little. Little else to brag about for FWM. Their toughest games are ahead of them as they finish their regular season.

FWM 87 Rugby 38
senditin
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Region 1 Fan » Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:29 pm

The # 1 team in the State and can't get any love - I would agree that this isn't the most talented and deep FWM team but I think we have gotten spoiled by watching all of the great individual and team talent that FWM has produced year in and out. Until someone steps up and knocks them off, they are the best Class B team this year. They have the best player and one of the best coach's in Class B and before you know it, might have back to back State Championships with no loses. I wouldn't give this team any Bulletin Board material to use to motivate them anymore. Time to give them credit and appreciate how strong a program they are. They play one of the toughest, if not the toughest schedules year in and out. This year is no different. Most years, they would complete and represent very well against all ND A Schools. Impressive doesn't say enough!
Region 1 Fan
NDPreps Starter

Postby leroybla » Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:50 pm

senditin wrote:
leroybla wrote:FWM has 6 wins against 3 teams on their record. The win over Oak Grove on the first night of the season tells little. Little else to brag about for FWM. Their toughest games are ahead of them as they finish their regular season.

FWM 87 Rugby 38
Nice win tonite for FWM. When they defeat Thompson in Thompson, Shiloh at Shiloh and Beulah at home, then we can cancel the state tournament and ensconce FWM on Mount Rushmore.
leroybla
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Region 1 Fan » Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:36 am

Region 2 Tourney might be the best out of all 8 this year. Nice win by Hillsboro and Mayville last night. Any of the 5 teams in this Region could represent in State. Mayville is really playing well as of late.
Region 1 Fan
NDPreps Starter

Postby defensewinsgames » Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:07 pm

Region 1 Fan wrote:Region 2 Tourney might be the best out of all 8 this year. Nice win by Hillsboro and Mayville last night. Any of the 5 teams in this Region could represent in State. Mayville is really playing well as of late.

I agree the Region 2 tournament will be a dog fight. Any of the top 5 teams could come out on top. I said it in my season preview but I think the seedings will be huge because anyone can win it. You want to avoid the 4 vs. 5 matchup because then you get the number one seed. If you get to play a bottom 6 team (none of them will push the top 5) then be in the 2 vs. 3 matchup I think life is way better for you. I would still give the nod to Thompson because of depth (maybe last night is a wake up call) but looking at the next 4 teams the one I wouldn't want to play North Border because of the two dudes and their ability to shoot from outside. Grafton can be scary too because of how they can shoot.

A region tournament that went like this would be the best one in years. Semi-final night would be really good. I tried to predict seedings based on where things were today but I may have missed a point somewhere.

1. Thompson vs. 8 Park River
2. HCV vs. 7 Cavalier
3. Grafton vs. 6 Midway
4. MayPort vs. 5 North Border
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby Region 1 Fan » Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:34 am

defensewinsgames wrote:
Region 1 Fan wrote:Region 2 Tourney might be the best out of all 8 this year. Nice win by Hillsboro and Mayville last night. Any of the 5 teams in this Region could represent in State. Mayville is really playing well as of late.

I agree the Region 2 tournament will be a dog fight. Any of the top 5 teams could come out on top. I said it in my season preview but I think the seedings will be huge because anyone can win it. You want to avoid the 4 vs. 5 matchup because then you get the number one seed. If you get to play a bottom 6 team (none of them will push the top 5) then be in the 2 vs. 3 matchup I think life is way better for you. I would still give the nod to Thompson because of depth (maybe last night is a wake up call) but looking at the next 4 teams the one I wouldn't want to play North Border because of the two dudes and their ability to shoot from outside. Grafton can be scary too because of how they can shoot.

A region tournament that went like this would be the best one in years. Semi-final night would be really good. I tried to predict seedings based on where things were today but I may have missed a point somewhere.

1. Thompson vs. 8 Park River
2. HCV vs. 7 Cavalier
3. Grafton vs. 6 Midway
4. MayPort vs. 5 North Border

This will be a great Regional tourney to follow! North Border is a fun team to watch play. Any of the top 5 could represent Region 2 at the Big Dance. Best Region out of the 8 in my opinion.
Region 1 Fan
NDPreps Starter

Postby senditin » Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:09 pm

leroybla wrote:
senditin wrote:

FWM 87 Rugby 38
Nice win tonite for FWM. When they defeat Thompson in Thompson, Shiloh at Shiloh and Beulah at home, then we can cancel the state tournament and ensconce FWM on Mount Rushmore.

FWM 61 Thompson 56
senditin
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby leroybla » Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:09 pm

Central Cass 69, Ellendale 32 in Casselton.
leroybla
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Sportsrube » Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:25 am

leroybla wrote:Central Cass 69, Ellendale 32 in Casselton.

Not surprised that Ellendale got beat, but I am surprised at the point difference. Was Ellendale missing anyone? Ellendale is still the favorite to win Region 3.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby leroybla » Sun Feb 12, 2023 3:55 pm

Sportsrube wrote:

Not surprised that Ellendale got beat, but I am surprised at the point difference. Was Ellendale missing anyone? Ellendale is still the favorite to win Region 3.
Ellendale started Thorpe, Sayler, Reis, Geller and Bommersbach. Was someone missing?
leroybla
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby maddog1971 » Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:22 am

Your daddy wrote:I think oakes is going to surprise some people this year. They have a lot of experience coming back.

What happen to Oakes this year? I thought as you that they would be a competitive team this year. I watch the first game against SC but I have not seen them since. Injuries? Not coming together as a team?
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby Your daddy » Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:39 am

Ton of injuries. Starting Soph big man played 3 games broken foot done for year. 2 senior starters have missed multiple games with high ankle sprains. One starter done for the year vaping. A couple of the young kids filling in have gotten hurt. Only Skoglund and Vossler have played every game. It's been a very rough year.
Your daddy
NDPreps Starter

Postby defensewinsgames » Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:34 am

Big win for Four Winds on Saturday. I stand corrected - they are the favorite to win state as we wrap up the season. I very much doubt they will be tested in the regional but I still think this is a year where if you have to take Four Winds or the field, I would take the field. Other years I would not have.

I was pretty surprised by the Central Cass vs. Ellendale score. I would have expected Central Cass to win by 4 or 5 not 37. I think this leads me to believe it is going end up being a situation where the region 1 champs, region 2 champs, and Four Winds walk through the tournament and fight for the championship so seedings will matter big time (I could see Bishop Ryan pushing too).
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby Region 1 Fan » Fri Feb 17, 2023 4:53 pm

Hillsboro upended Mayville the other night. Great win for the Burros. Mayville is a team no one wants to play come tourney time. They have played very well the second half of the year.
Region 1 Fan
NDPreps Starter

Postby leroybla » Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:38 pm

Kindred defeated Sargent County in Wahpeton. Shiloh beat MFW.Central Cass beat Tri-State. Surprise, surprise, no surprise.
leroybla
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby leroybla » Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:43 am

leroybla wrote:
Sportsrube wrote:

Ellendale started Thorpe, Sayler, Reis, Geller and Bommersbach. Was someone missing?
Did the inelligible player not play against CC?
leroybla
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby sportsphenom » Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:45 am

The ineligible player is not a main player(just a b squad kid that would come off the bench at the end), but I know Molan was not playing that game for other reasons. He's usually one of their main guys off the bench.
sportsphenom
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby WalkingStick » Tue Feb 21, 2023 12:24 pm

sportsphenom wrote:The ineligible player is not a main player(just a b squad kid that would come off the bench at the end), but I know Molan was not playing that game for other reasons. He's usually one of their main guys off the bench.

In fact, every one of those losses they had to take were in 20+ routs but rules are rules. Ellendale reported it and their record is changed. Doesn't really change the fact that they are a very good team and a favorite in R3.
One Stop Shop for All North Dakota Scores
https://www.northdakotaprepscoreboards.com/

"Control what you can control...Can't fix ignorant people"
WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby defensewinsgames » Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:17 am

We are in the final week of the season then it is tournament time. I would love to hear everyone's thoughts on favorites to make region championships, who you think will make state out of each region, senior athlete of the year contenders, and teams that may make surprise runs at regionals and state.
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

PreviousNext

Return to Boys