NFHS vs YouTube/Facebook Streaming

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

NFHS vs YouTube/Facebook Streaming

Postby BasketballMind » Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:13 am

I do not think it's debatable at this point, the school's that use YouTube to livestream games are much happier than those using NFHS. The few I've seen use Facebook to do it dont seem to have many problems with it. Other than not as many people are on Facebook as there once was. What really hurts NFHS is they don't have commentary or an accurate running score. Don't get me wrong, it's better than not having anything, but I don't know of any schools that have used both that were happier with NFHS. Your Live Event set the blueprint in the RRV area and other companies like BEK, PSP, Magnitude, are great resources for players, coaches, and fans. The schools that have also decided to run their own channel on YouTube just need an adult or trustworthy student to run the camera.

The only thing I wish for (selfishly) is for there to be a list of what each school uses. Could be something to have them add to an NDHSAA team page? For those out west is it more common to see NFHS or are there more school pages for livestreams?
Last edited by BasketballMind on Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Re: NFHS vs YouTube/Facebook Streaming

Postby The Schwab » Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:17 am

NFHS has dominated the Region 7 scene for the last few years, I'm not sure if that is changing this year or not.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby BasketballMind » Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:33 am

Most Region 2 teams are on Your Live Event or they have their own channels. Thompson made the switch this year to Your Live Event and I wouldn't be surprised if MPCG does the same if haven't already. Cavalier, DVE, and Hatton-NWD are still on NFHS as far as I know. I believe NB, Grafton, and Park River all use their own school YouTube account to livestream their stuff. I don't know of too many Region 1 teams that are on NFHS. I think a lot of them are Magnitude, YLE, or YouTube.
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flip » Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:51 am

You can have commentary with NFHS and if you have a second camera on the scoreboard you will have an accurate score. With that said I used to have an annual subscription, but I cancelled it this fall when so many games that were supposed to be on NFHS weren't shown. I need it in the winter so I'll go month to month with it until basketball is over.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby WalkingStick » Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:36 pm

Less issues with Youtube streams then NFHS...usually only looking for missing scores though.
One Stop Shop for All North Dakota Scores
https://www.northdakotaprepscoreboards.com/

"Control what you can control...Can't fix ignorant people"
WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby BasketballMind » Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:44 pm

WalkingStick wrote:Less issues with Youtube streams then NFHS...usually only looking for missing scores though.

The thing that always irked me about NFHS was the fast forward/rewind ability. Very difficult to rewatch a play or go to a specific spot in the game without having to just watch in real time once you get close.
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Postby WalkingStick » Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:06 pm

BasketballMind wrote:
WalkingStick wrote:Less issues with Youtube streams then NFHS...usually only looking for missing scores though.

The thing that always irked me about NFHS was the fast forward/rewind ability. Very difficult to rewatch a play or go to a specific spot in the game without having to just watch in real time once you get close.

NFHS the game has to be over and 'on demand' for me to get a score...too many times I just get an empty gym when games are over and no score visable.

Youtube you can go to any part right away...so nice.

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby vikingman » Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:57 pm

BasketballMind wrote:The schools that have also decided to run their own channel on YouTube just need an adult or trustworthy student to run the camera.

As much as I've criticized NFHS over the years, not having to round up a camera person is a BIG plus in its favor. You might be able to find someone to do varsity games, but all the JV, Jr High, and grade games -- no chance.
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Postby BasketballMind » Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:00 am

vikingman wrote:
BasketballMind wrote:The schools that have also decided to run their own channel on YouTube just need an adult or trustworthy student to run the camera.

As much as I've criticized NFHS over the years, not having to round up a camera person is a BIG plus in its favor. You might be able to find someone to do varsity games, but all the JV, Jr High, and grade games -- no chance.

I would hope you paid a kid or given some type of credit for community service you would find some reliable ones in each school. I do agree that is the biggest challenge. For many it is an out of sight out of mind thing that is better than nothing.
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flip » Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:15 pm

vikingman wrote:

Is the technology NFHS uses to track the ball/action patented?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby sportsphenom » Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:36 pm

vikingman wrote:

Our school uses Youtube and has a camera that follows the action, no camera person needed. Scoreboard is on there too. It works well.
sportsphenom
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby sportsphenom » Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:37 pm

Flip wrote:
vikingman wrote:

Is the technology NFHS uses to track the ball/action patented?

I think anyone can get one of those cameras, our school doesn't use NFHS, only Youtube and we have a camera that follows the action.
sportsphenom
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby WalkingStick » Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:28 pm

Hudl cameras is what most schools have now.

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flip » Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:41 pm

BasketballMind wrote:

I noticed today the NFHS app has a 15 second fast forward and rewind option.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Return to Boys