3 class proposal

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

3 class proposal

Postby Your daddy » Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:12 am

https://sites.google.com/view/threeclassproposal/home by the sounds of it this should pass. Did they get it right? I think the bottom of class A gets the short end of the stick, but you have to draw the line somewhere.
Your daddy
NDPreps Starter

Re: 3 class proposal

Postby packers21 » Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:33 am

Your daddy wrote:https://sites.google.com/view/threeclassproposal/home by the sounds of it this should pass. Did they get it right? I think the bottom of class A gets the short end of the stick, but you have to draw the line somewhere.

I still do not think all privates will opt to the middle class and that will be a bad look.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flip » Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:48 am

packers21 wrote:
Your daddy wrote:https://sites.google.com/view/threeclassproposal/home by the sounds of it this should pass. Did they get it right? I think the bottom of class A gets the short end of the stick, but you have to draw the line somewhere.

I still do not think all privates will opt to the middle class and that will be a bad look.

If Our Redeemer and Trinity Christian are in class B it will be fine.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Your daddy » Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:37 am

Our redeemer in B Trinity in A under this proposal
Your daddy
NDPreps Starter

Postby Sportsrube » Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:15 pm

I have been looking thru the web page and it looks like this is a well thought out plan. Is it perfect? No. Will we ever get a perfect plan? No. Is this better than what we have now - YES!!!! I don't know if it will increase participation in girls or boys basketball, but I highly doubt it will hurt it. I think this plan would be very good for volleyball as well. (As for wrestling, I have no idea) We need to get past our fear of trying something new and do something or we will continue to see a drop in participation numbers, especially in the smaller schools. I think the Class A and Class B tournaments will both be popular and will have great attendance. The Class AA will always be what it is. This is better than other plans I have seen or heard about, I say let's give it a chance.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby WalkingStick » Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:18 pm

WTC & ORCS are B by enrollment

The rest should move up…they’d be playing all the teams they usually schedule for non-region games now.

VC would fit in right away with their area and Wahpeton as well…solid competitive games (there will always be blowouts)
One Stop Shop for All North Dakota Scores
https://www.northdakotaprepscoreboards.com/

"Control what you can control...Can't fix ignorant people"
WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:36 am

Looks like the committee did their homework. Well presented plan.

2 things:
1. Believe it's a mistake to have proposed A & B playing on same weekend in different locations. A lot of basketball fans (only speaking of bb) will want to watch both of these tournaments and this forces them to make a choice. By combining Boys & Girls from each division on the same weekend (see Class AA) can get the best of both worlds. Also, the middle class regionals will be well attended and quite possibly could be televised as well. Play the Class B boys and girls state tourney in same location one weekend and Class A boys and girls in same location another weekend. Attendance will be incredible and allows for schools/fans to attend if they have both their teams in state and save some money by traveling only 1 weekend. Also allows fans to attend/follow all the tourneys.
2. Believe 38 is too high for middle class. When comparing SD and ND in their proposal, it's obvious that SD has always had more middle class schools and was easier for them to start a 3-class plan. Believe 28 - 32 is the correct number and will allow for some upward movement if necessary in the future.

Going in the right direction and think participation is going to increase, which should be the goal. Looks like a solid plan but need to get it right the first time.
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flip » Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:27 pm

Bison-Vikes #1 wrote:2. Believe 38 is too high for middle class. When comparing SD and ND in their proposal, it's obvious that SD has always had more middle class schools and was easier for them to start a 3-class plan. Believe 28 - 32 is the correct number and will allow for some upward movement if necessary in the future.

EXACTLY! I could not agree more. The easiest way to make the plan fail is to make the middle class huge, which is exactly what they did. Cut out 6-10 teams from A and you have 6-10 more "yes" votes. I felt like some ADs sabotaged the plan by making it a plan they knew wouldn't get support.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:45 am

Bison-Vikes #1 wrote:Looks like the committee did their homework. Well presented plan.

2 things:
1. Believe it's a mistake to have proposed A & B playing on same weekend in different locations. A lot of basketball fans (only speaking of bb) will want to watch both of these tournaments and this forces them to make a choice. By combining Boys & Girls from each division on the same weekend (see Class AA) can get the best of both worlds. Also, the middle class regionals will be well attended and quite possibly could be televised as well. Play the Class B boys and girls state tourney in same location one weekend and Class A boys and girls in same location another weekend. Attendance will be incredible and allows for schools/fans to attend if they have both their teams in state and save some money by traveling only 1 weekend. Also allows fans to attend/follow all the tourneys.
2. Believe 38 is too high for middle class. When comparing SD and ND in their proposal, it's obvious that SD has always had more middle class schools and was easier for them to start a 3-class plan. Believe 28 - 32 is the correct number and will allow for some upward movement if necessary in the future.

Going in the right direction and think participation is going to increase, which should be the goal. Looks like a solid plan but need to get it right the first time.

I definitely agree with #1 and would love to see boys/girls tournaments on same weekend for all classes. I can also see your point with #2. Possibly trimming up the middle class a bit would make it easier to pass.

I do like that the committee made a multiplier for all out of district enrollment. This doesn't single out private schools and increases the enrollment for those teams that benefit from a high number of open enrollments. I think this alone levels out the playing field quite a bit.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:41 am

In the plan, what is the reason for the AA to vote for it or not? I can see some of the Fargo schools liking it because now they don't have to go to Wahpeton or VC, but what about the schools out west? Nothing really changes.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:41 am

ndlionsfan wrote:
Bison-Vikes #1 wrote:1. Believe it's a mistake to have proposed A & B playing on same weekend in different locations. A lot of basketball fans (only speaking of bb) will want to watch both of these tournaments and this forces them to make a choice. By combining Boys & Girls from each division on the same weekend (see Class AA) can get the best of both worlds. Also, the middle class regionals will be well attended and quite possibly could be televised as well. Play the Class B boys and girls state tourney in same location one weekend and Class A boys and girls in same location another weekend. Attendance will be incredible and allows for schools/fans to attend if they have both their teams in state and save some money by traveling only 1 weekend. Also allows fans to attend/follow all the tourneys.

I definitely agree with #1 and would love to see boys/girls tournaments on same weekend for all classes. I can also see your point with #2. Possibly trimming up the middle class a bit would make it easier to pass.

I do like that the committee made a multiplier for all out of district enrollment. This doesn't single out private schools and increases the enrollment for those teams that benefit from a high number of open enrollments. I think this alone levels out the playing field quite a bit.

Fairly certain the committee is concerned with logistical problems of having girls and boys at same time at district and regional levels. But believe those could easily be remedied. There are more pros to having the boys and girls playing at same state tourney than cons, IMHO.

100% agree in above red. Committee did a good job on that. Also, looks like 29 would be a real good number in middle class.
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Postby maddog1971 » Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:51 pm

Well....

So In Middle class every year you will have Wahp, Shilo, FWM in State Tournament? Basically the same problem you have right now.

In B you will have Langdon, Linton and Kenmare in the State as well? Same problem we have right now.

And you have the Grand Forks schools getting their butts kicked again... Poor Watford City....

The only thing I really like about the plan is the Privates get the double enrollment...

SO basically I will vote for it.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby senditin » Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:39 am

maddog1971 wrote:Well....

So In Middle class every year you will have Wahp, Shilo, FWM in State Tournament? Basically the same problem you have right now.

In B you will have Langdon, Linton and Kenmare in the State as well? Same problem we have right now.

And you have the Grand Forks schools getting their butts kicked again... Poor Watford City....

The only thing I really like about the plan is the Privates get the double enrollment...

The FW boys works their tails off year round at BB and that's a "Problem"? Let's find another way to penalize their hard work and dedication.
senditin
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby maddog1971 » Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:02 am

Just for the record... Many kids work their tails off all season... Living in the weight room... Up at 6 to get shots in every day before school starts... going to camps... traveling the playing AAU ball....

I believe the reason for the 3 Class proposal is get the Private schools out of class B which I do agree with. The privates have to have someone to play because our state does not have enough private schools.. so you do they have to play.... the Bigger B's. I hate to see the B go away but it will. They will have the same problem of the Bigger B schools going all the time as well... the same thing will happen with the A division. You will have the Privates and Big A's going all the time. That is the nature of it. So the teams Like Minto/ Midway will get to state once every 15 years... as Valley City will get there every year.... is that fair? Same problem just different schools.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby balla45 » Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:13 am

My immediate reaction upon viewing the proposal was that I liked most of it. I do not think the idea of 2 tournaments on the same weekend in different locations is the answer, but I like almost everything else.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:16 am

maddog1971 wrote:You will have the Privates and Big A's going all the time. That is the nature of it. So the teams Like Minto/ Midway will get to state once every 15 years... as Valley City will get there every year.... is that fair? Same problem just different schools.

I can somewhat see your point here. What I think is good about it is if Minto/Midway, or another small town has a really nice group come through, they are probably going to get in at least once. If we had a 3 class system, teams like Enderlin, North Border, Wilton-Wing, and Velva probably all get a state tournament experience in 2022, which I think would be a good thing.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flying Wallenda » Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:48 am

senditin wrote:
maddog1971 wrote:Well....

The FW boys works their tails off year round at BB and that's a "Problem"? Let's find another way to penalize their hard work and dedication.

How are they currently being penalized for their hard work and dedication?
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby WalkingStick » Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:38 pm

FWM being in the middle class doesn’t hurt them one bit…honestly, because of their hard work and dedication they’d still be a favorite every year. Adding VC & Wahpeton doesn’t mean they’ll dominate the class either…VC has played some of the R1 schools recently and their record vs them isn’t dominating (K, L & OG); girls wise…neither VC nor Wahpeton have been dominating either but they are better.

I’m with balla45…the State Tourney is more the issue…and those saying the middle class will be ‘forgotten’…I doubt it

I do think Devils Lake & Watford City needs to be middle class though…and some of the middle then could be removed like M-M (I mean they are 9-man for football…doesn’t scream middle class BB to me)

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby maddog1971 » Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:53 pm

balla45 wrote:
maddog1971 wrote:You will have the Privates and Big A's going all the time. That is the nature of it. So the teams Like Minto/ Midway will get to state once every 15 years... as Valley City will get there every year.... is that fair? Same problem just different schools.

I can somewhat see your point here. What I think is good about it is if Minto/Midway, or another small town has a really nice group come through, they are probably going to get in at least once. If we had a 3 class system, teams like Enderlin, North Border, Wilton-Wing, and Velva probably all get a state tournament experience in 2022, which I think would be a good thing.

I agree... Enderlin would have been in State 6 years in a row..... But then this whole thing would be about how to get Enderlin in the middle class.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby packers21 » Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:08 pm

WalkingStick wrote:FWM being in the middle class doesn’t hurt them one bit…honestly, because of their hard work and dedication they’d still be a favorite every year. Adding VC & Wahpeton doesn’t mean they’ll dominate the class either…VC has played some of the R1 schools recently and their record vs them isn’t dominating (K, L & OG); girls wise…neither VC nor Wahpeton have been dominating either but they are better.

I’m with balla45…the State Tourney is more the issue…and those saying the middle class will be ‘forgotten’…I doubt it

I do think Devils Lake & Watford City needs to be middle class though…and some of the middle then could be removed like M-M (I mean they are 9-man for football…doesn’t scream middle class BB to me)

Mark my words if this passes VC and Wahp will become powerhouses. WC opts to stay up they want to be in the highest class. DL also needs to stay in the highest class, they’ve been plenty competitive. We’ll see the same 5/6 teams in the state A tourney that will have terrible attendance.

I would rather see the old northstar make a comeback.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Sportsrube » Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:11 pm

packers21 wrote:
WalkingStick wrote:FWM being in the middle class doesn’t hurt them one bit…honestly, because of their hard work and dedication they’d still be a favorite every year. Adding VC & Wahpeton doesn’t mean they’ll dominate the class either…VC has played some of the R1 schools recently and their record vs them isn’t dominating (K, L & OG); girls wise…neither VC nor Wahpeton have been dominating either but they are better.

Mark my words if this passes VC and Wahp will become powerhouses. WC opts to stay up they want to be in the highest class. DL also needs to stay in the highest class, they’ve been plenty competitive. We’ll see the same 5/6 teams in the state A tourney that will have terrible attendance.

I would rather see the old northstar make a comeback.

As someone who played in the old Northstar Conference I disagree. There were a few teams that had a chance to finish in the top 2 in the conference every year - Valley City and Devils Lake. The rest - Grafton, Belcourt, Minot Ryan, Bottineau, Langdon, Harvey, Rugby had little to no chance. Also, very seldom did a team from the Northstar finish in the top 4 at the state tournament. VC had a nice run in the early 80's with Mike Jewitt as the anchor and Devils Lake had a good run in the early 80's as well with Doyle Hiezler leading the way for them.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby BasketballMind » Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:56 am

The phrase getting thrown around a lot during this is “competive balance”. There’s no such thing as competitive balance and never has been. I really don’t think this is going to fix anything.
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flip » Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:58 am

BasketballMind wrote:The phrase getting thrown around a lot during this is “competive balance”. There’s no such thing as competitive balance and never has been. I really don’t think this is going to fix anything.

Any objections to going to one class?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby WalkingStick » Thu Aug 25, 2022 11:34 am

Flip wrote:
BasketballMind wrote:The phrase getting thrown around a lot during this is “competive balance”. There’s no such thing as competitive balance and never has been. I really don’t think this is going to fix anything.

Any objections to going to one class?

I would assume yes...since then the same 8-10 teams would go each year; which is the same argument being made now.

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby WalkingStick » Thu Aug 25, 2022 11:39 am

This was mine from a while back...I like the balance of it in all 3 classes...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Next

Return to Boys