3 class proposal

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: 3 class proposal

Postby Flip » Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:14 pm

RiverMiner99 wrote:Sorry to hear they went that direction. One of the listed reasons for a 3 class system was to increase participation. More minutes in a game would create more participation. Makes you think the reasons stated for a 3 class system were maybe less than honest! :D

I hadn't thought about that. Good point. I wouldn't be opposed to 9 minute quarters.
My school has been on the wrong end of the mercy rule much more than the good side and I think it's stupid.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby RiverMiner99 » Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:44 am

Heard on the Dom Izzo show that the new class A will be at Fargodome. What a mistake. NDHSAA leadership continues to manage based on fear. Mr. Fletschock said they choose that site to make sure everyone can go that wants to go. I feel bad for the kids that will be at this venue compared to what the SHAC could offer. Coach Smith @ 4Winds mentioned that Fargodome is the worst place to play a basketball game. What's the harm in having a sellout. They continue to say how exciting the middle class will be and then they put it in the least exciting venue. Mr. Fletschock said the Fargodome has made many improvements since the last Class B state tournament. I'm sure they have, but the Bismarck parents Italked to that played there this year said it was horrible. The NDHSAA could make the SHAC work, but it's too much work for them. They'd have to think outside the box and maybe do the ticketing differently than they have done it for the last 50 years. If you want to lead boldly and move the state to a 3 class system then continue to lead boldly and put the work in to create the best atmosphere for a state tournament.
RiverMiner99
NDPreps Starter

Postby Attack the Process » Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:25 am

Once they decide where the state tournament is held, NDHSAA doesn't do much. The tournament manager(s) are the ones that set everything up. For when it's in Fargo, it's the Metro Tournament Committee that runs state tournaments.
Attack the Process
NDPreps Starter

Postby RiverMiner99 » Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:08 am

It was interesting to listen to Dom and Justin talk about how great the atmosphere was at the SHAC for the Class A tournament this year. They know that is how a state tournament should be. It took the NDHSAA a few years to get the girls Class B out of the Alerus and into the Betty. Since that change everyone talks about how great it is. They are now making the same mistake with the boys new class A. It seems like the middle class is getting the raw end of the deal. Won't let them play 36 minutes and then put them in Fargodome. I'm not sure why they don't think the SHAC is big enough for the new class A when there were still a lot of seats for this years class A. The schools in the new class A are much smaller than AA, the tournament is the same weekend as the B. The SHAC would be perfect.
RiverMiner99
NDPreps Starter

Postby packers21 » Fri Apr 21, 2023 11:25 am

RiverMiner99 wrote:It was interesting to listen to Dom and Justin talk about how great the atmosphere was at the SHAC for the Class A tournament this year. They know that is how a state tournament should be. It took the NDHSAA a few years to get the girls Class B out of the Alerus and into the Betty. Since that change everyone talks about how great it is. They are now making the same mistake with the boys new class A. It seems like the middle class is getting the raw end of the deal. Won't let them play 36 minutes and then put them in Fargodome. I'm not sure why they don't think the SHAC is big enough for the new class A when there were still a lot of seats for this years class A. The schools in the new class A are much smaller than AA, the tournament is the same weekend as the B. The SHAC would be perfect.

The quarters/halves was sent out on a survey and the overwhelming majority wanted to stay with quarters. It had nothing to do with the NDHSAA. JUST FYI
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flip » Fri Apr 21, 2023 12:08 pm

packers21 wrote:
The quarters/halves was sent out on a survey and the overwhelming majority wanted to stay with quarters. It had nothing to do with the NDHSAA. JUST FYI

Do you know how the vote went? I guess I had heard it was a close vote, that's why I ask.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby packers21 » Fri Apr 21, 2023 12:25 pm

Flip wrote:
packers21 wrote:

Do you know how the vote went? I guess I had heard it was a close vote, that's why I ask.

Nope, I don't. Just know majority was for quarters, 35 second shot clock and boys and girls to mirror each other. Makes sense to stay the same as B as that is where most crossover games will happen.

Tough for the anyone including the NDHSAA to say they want the best teams to make the state tournaments every year and then make same regions continually play each other for the qualifier games. We all know why all those teams wanted out west, should be crossover for the qualifiers each year.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ndlionsfan » Fri Apr 21, 2023 12:29 pm

How much of attendance do people feel there will actually be at the Class A tournaments? I can't imagine anymore than 2k-5k per night. With only 28 teams and another state tournament happening at the same time, I don't expect huge crowds. I think it will be great basketball, though. A smaller venue probably would be welcome by both fans and players/coaches.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby packers21 » Fri Apr 21, 2023 12:39 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:How much of attendance do people feel there will actually be at the Class A tournaments? I can't imagine anymore than 2k-5k per night. With only 28 teams and another state tournament happening at the same time, I don't expect huge crowds. I think it will be great basketball, though. A smaller venue probably would be welcome by both fans and players/coaches.

I would agree, I would also agree going to FargoDome for the first year just to make sure it's not going to be bigger than 5K is the right call.

I would say it goes there once and then never again, hopefully.
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby RiverMiner99 » Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:22 pm

packers21 wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:How much of attendance do people feel there will actually be at the Class A tournaments? I can't imagine anymore than 2k-5k per night. With only 28 teams and another state tournament happening at the same time, I don't expect huge crowds. I think it will be great basketball, though. A smaller venue probably would be welcome by both fans and players/coaches.

I would agree, I would also agree going to FargoDome for the first year just to make sure it's not going to be bigger than 5K is the right call.

I would say it goes there once and then never again, hopefully.

Completely disagree. Move it to FargoDome the 2nd time if SHAC is to small. Why not start this new division out the right way. Don't make the 1st year a bad atmosphere. Like has been said the basketball will be great. Listen to Rick Smith and don't put it in FargoDome.
RiverMiner99
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Fri Apr 21, 2023 11:43 pm

RiverMiner99 wrote:
Move it to FargoDome the 2nd time if SHAC is to small.

I would only move it to the FargoDome if the SHAC is way too small where you have to turn away 1,000+ fans.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby packers21 » Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:58 am

Flip wrote:
RiverMiner99 wrote:
Move it to FargoDome the 2nd time if SHAC is to small.

I would only move it to the FargoDome if the SHAC is way too small where you have to turn away 1,000+ fans.

I agree that I don’t think it should be in the Dome and the SHAC will be more than big enough, but I also don’t think either of you would pass on the possibility of $$$. 1,000 plus ppl is 10k.
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby RiverMiner99 » Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:40 am

Good to hear it's about the money.
RiverMiner99
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndlionsfan » Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:09 am

RiverMiner99 wrote:Good to hear it's about the money.

It's always about the money. I did read in a newspaper that the way the state tournament weekend falls next year the Betty and SHAC might be hosting Summit League games the same time so that is why the Dome was chosen.

However, I still believe the NDHSAA missed out on some huge money by not holding three straight weekends of super tournaments. Like I've said before, I'm not going to spend the cash and time to attend both the boys and girls state B tourneys. More than likely just choose one. But if I had the chance to see the best B teams in both boys and girls in one weekend each year, I am not missing that opportunity for anything.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:40 am

I suppose the schedule could change but UND's last men's and women's regular season game was the weekend before the girls' state tournament. To my knowledge, the Betty isn't being used for any tournaments for the next two years. It doesn't make sense to me.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby packers21 » Sat Apr 22, 2023 12:01 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:
RiverMiner99 wrote:Good to hear it's about the money.

It's always about the money. I did read in a newspaper that the way the state tournament weekend falls next year the Betty and SHAC might be hosting Summit League games the same time so that is why the Dome was chosen.

However, I still believe the NDHSAA missed out on some huge money by not holding three straight weekends of super tournaments. Like I've said before, I'm not going to spend the cash and time to attend both the boys and girls state B tourneys. More than likely just choose one. But if I had the chance to see the best B teams in both boys and girls in one weekend each year, I am not missing that opportunity for anything.

^ agreed
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Thundersnow » Sat Apr 22, 2023 1:15 pm

I don't mind Minot, Jamestown, and Grand Forks getting the chance to host state tournaments. However, I think 3 combined super state tournaments is the smartest way to do it. One year, Bismarck gets two of them and Fargo gets one, the next year Fargo gets two and Bismarck gets one. Unless Bismarck only wants one each year and they treat the combined WDA tournaments like their other state tournament. I'd also like them to break up the TV coverage monopoly. Have one network take each weekend, for example, ABC = AA, NBC = A and BEK sports = B.
Thundersnow
NDPreps Starter

Postby NDPREP » Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:04 pm

Thundersnow wrote:I don't mind Minot, Jamestown, and Grand Forks getting the chance to host state tournaments. However, I think 3 combined super state tournaments is the smartest way to do it. One year, Bismarck gets two of them and Fargo gets one, the next year Fargo gets two and Bismarck gets one. Unless Bismarck only wants one each year and they treat the combined WDA tournaments like their other state tournament. I'd also like them to break up the TV coverage monopoly. Have one network take each weekend, for example, ABC = AA, NBC = A and BEK sports = B.

I wish, the Forum is really trying to scratch every dollar out of that stream, charge more for Ads IMO and let people stream it. I'll gladly watch ads during the broadcast to avoid subscribing to it
NDPREP
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Flip » Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:36 am

I didn't subscribe this year and I streamed the games.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby maddog1971 » Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:11 am

Well the B is dead and I don't think that the board has realized that fact. If they think they are getting over 5K people for the AA, A or B, they are living in a fantasy world. Where are these people coming from for these games? If you have Flasher playing Trenton for the State Championship.... How many fans are going to be there? Honestly how many fans can each town bring in? 400?
and the class A.... According to this site nobody will be going to this tournament because the big B schools everyone hates and it is not good basketball...... So each town will bring 1000 fans????
Also which tournament will the casual fan want to go watch?
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby olufsen2022 » Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:01 am

packers21 wrote:
RiverMiner99 wrote:It was interesting to listen to Dom and Justin talk about how great the atmosphere was at the SHAC for the Class A tournament this year. They know that is how a state tournament should be. It took the NDHSAA a few years to get the girls Class B out of the Alerus and into the Betty. Since that change everyone talks about how great it is. They are now making the same mistake with the boys new class A. It seems like the middle class is getting the raw end of the deal. Won't let them play 36 minutes and then put them in Fargodome. I'm not sure why they don't think the SHAC is big enough for the new class A when there were still a lot of seats for this years class A. The schools in the new class A are much smaller than AA, the tournament is the same weekend as the B. The SHAC would be perfect.

I think quarters was the right move based on the majority of crossover being between Middle and Class B. I don't understand why they didn't compromise so these kids don't miss out on minutes and go with 9 minute quarters though. The teams dropping down to the middle class all lose minutes they were used to playing and it would give all the other teams the opportunity to finally get the same amount of game time as the current Class A. I guess I don't understand why it's such a crazy ask to go with 9 minute quarters?
olufsen2022
NDPreps Reserve

Postby bk1990 » Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:14 am

Just a question about the state weekend for new "A" and "B". What is the reason for having the 7th place game for B at 9:30 in the morning on Saturday, 5th place at 11:15, 3rd place at 3:00 and the championship at 5:00? They are also trying to stagger with the "A", with the 3rd place "A" at 6:00 and championship at 8:00. Basically they are saying the 3rd place game for A is more important than the State Championship for B. But by the looks of it, the 3rd place game of A will be on Xtra/Stream. They wont even be on the regular ABC channel. Further, if B championship is scheduled to start at 5:00 and A 3rd place at 6:00, if B is running late, now you have to choose what you want to watch. What if some of the earlier games are running late, will they push back the start time of the games? It also appears the Parade of Champions is on Extra/Stream, can't you fit it on regular programming? I feel bad for the 3rd place game for A participants, their won't be broadcast on Regular ABC coverage, like it has been for years. One has to wonder, who is making the decisions on how all these changes, the NDHSAA or WDAY.
On a side note, how is the Lions All Star game going to be handled? It was always fun to see that conversation play out about who was better, A or B. In a regular game, A would beat B, a regular B team would be hard pressed to beat an A team, just didn't have the depth, the best players aren't necessarily in A, just have a bigger talent pool for a team. So when the Lions game is played, the best from B more than held their own against A, that will now be a thing of the past, will it be all three classes combined for East vs. West like football?
bk1990
NDPreps Starter

Postby RiverMiner99 » Mon Apr 24, 2023 5:22 pm

Will they even have the parade of champions any more? Central Cass boys' basketball team will be invited if they do still have it. Do you think they'll go to that instead of the state tournament they are actually playing in next year? :D Also, good question on the Lion's game. Will be interesting to see how they handle that.
RiverMiner99
NDPreps Starter

Postby WalkingStick » Mon Apr 24, 2023 5:30 pm

RiverMiner99 wrote:Will they even have the parade of champions any more? Central Cass boys' basketball team will be invited if they do still have it. Do you think they'll go to that instead of the state tournament they are actually playing in next year? :D Also, good question on the Lion's game. Will be interesting to see how they handle that.

Lion's Club will have to figure something out...could go to 3 days AA v B, A v B, AA v A or could do an enrollment breakdown to determine teams or could go East v West...but I'm sure they'll figure something out over the next year.
One Stop Shop for All North Dakota Scores
https://www.northdakotaprepscoreboards.com/

"Control what you can control...Can't fix ignorant people"
WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby bk1990 » Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:46 am

RiverMiner99 wrote:Will they even have the parade of champions any more? Central Cass boys' basketball team will be invited if they do still have it. Do you think they'll go to that instead of the state tournament they are actually playing in next year? :D Also, good question on the Lion's game. Will be interesting to see how they handle that.

It looks like they plan to have the Parade at halftime of Championship game for A, which is in Fargo. So, you have a state champion from, lets say, a wrestler from New Salem, or One Act Play from Belfield. However, their basketball team made state, which would be in Minot for B next year. Wow, quite the choice, go be recognized for your accomplishment which is well earned, walk across the floor for 5 seconds, or go cheer your classmates on for 3 days and not have to drive 200-300 miles to Fargo.
Going to say it again, three class basketball was needed, but they really rushed it just for the sake of change
bk1990
NDPreps Starter

PreviousNext

Return to Boys