3 class proposal

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: 3 class proposal

Postby UncleRico » Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:39 pm

I'm fine with the switch to 3 classes going forward, but the more I look at the "A" regions and tournament format, the more I wonder if they will rotate which regions play each other for the extra state berths?

If it's always going to be R1 vs. R2 and R3 vs. R4, I know which side of the state I'd rather be on if I want a better chance to get to state in those play-in games.

Just a thought.
UncleRico
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Flip » Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:47 pm

UncleRico wrote:I'm fine with the switch to 3 classes going forward, but the more I look at the "A" regions and tournament format, the more I wonder if they will rotate which regions play each other for the extra state berths?

If it's always going to be R1 vs. R2 and R3 vs. R4, I know which side of the state I'd rather be on if I want a better chance to get to state in those play-in games.

Just a thought.

I heard the same concerns from a future middle class coach too.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby RiverMiner99 » Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:48 am

UncleRico wrote:I'm fine with the switch to 3 classes going forward, but the more I look at the "A" regions and tournament format, the more I wonder if they will rotate which regions play each other for the extra state berths?

Just a thought.

Agree with you on this UncleRico.

I also hope they don't go to a Super New A or Super B in the future either. Having Minot vs Red River yesterday in the boys and girls games at the same time does not lead to a state tournament atmosphere. That game yesterday was crazy good and that atmosphere in the FargoDome was not what is deserved for state tournament teams. Find a faciity that is built for basketball and will be full. If that games was played at Fargo North I think everyone would have fit in there and it would have been great.
Last edited by RiverMiner99 on Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
RiverMiner99
NDPreps Starter

Postby RiverMiner99 » Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:50 am

BasketballMind wrote:Hearing a Kindred fan complain about Bishop Ryan “pulling from 40,000 to 200,000” for all 94 of the students is the funniest thing that’s ever been said on this website.

200,000 is very much untrue. However, the 40,000 is a reality. What is the population of Kindred, maybe 1,000?
RiverMiner99
NDPreps Starter

Postby WalkingStick » Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:02 pm

RiverMiner99 wrote:
BasketballMind wrote:Hearing a Kindred fan complain about Bishop Ryan “pulling from 40,000 to 200,000” for all 94 of the students is the funniest thing that’s ever been said on this website.

200,000 is very much untrue. However, the 40,000 is a reality. What is the population of Kindred, maybe 1,000?

A lot of farmland in that area...very interesting to have a school enrollment over 200 in a town of 929...that sort of explains the amount of rural families in that area (plus drawing from Davenport, Leonard, Hickson, Oxbow, maybe even the Walcott area).
One Stop Shop for All North Dakota Scores
https://www.northdakotaprepscoreboards.com/

"Control what you can control...Can't fix ignorant people"
WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby RiverMiner99 » Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:17 pm

I suppose you are right on that. Drawing from a much larger area than just Kindred. However, still not the size of Minot.
RiverMiner99
NDPreps Starter

Postby WalkingStick » Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:24 pm

RiverMiner99 wrote:I suppose you are right on that. Drawing from a much larger area than just Kindred. However, still not the size of Minot.

True true but those numbers were thrown out by maddog.

maddog1971 wrote:Nothing can convince me that when you pull kids from 40,000 to 200,000 that is a even playing field with Class B schools.

It is interesting, though, that BR has under 100 kids (and ORCS too) in such a large town as Minot (47,700 or so).

Not sure where the 200,000 comes from in this statement or argument

Note for reference: ND population is at 775,000

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby UncleRico » Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:34 pm

Only a guess, but he had to have been referring to Oak Grove being in the Fargo metro.....
UncleRico
NDPreps Reserve

Postby WalkingStick » Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:13 pm

UncleRico wrote:Only a guess, but he had to have been referring to Oak Grove being in the Fargo metro.....

That's definitely possible, makes a little more sense with the numbers he referenced:
40,000 (Minot),
132,000 (Fargo; Metro - 252,000 this includes some MN as the metro which kids can come from)

Might have been clearer to reference all the private schools with their population area with accurate numbers

Note: I'm a numbers guy so I'll add to it then if that's the referencing being made
Dickinson (25,000)
Bismarck (74,000; Metro - 134,000)

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby olufsen2022 » Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:44 am

BasketballMind wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:
Class B wrote:With Heart River dissolving, my guess is the likely South Prairie-Max coop goes to the SW Region. Yikes...

Or not... I guess they are ok with the NE having 6 teams... :?

It will be interesting to see how that affects the current set up. Do they try to get close to equal teams in each region or do they keep with more geography? To me it doesn't make sense to have 6 teams in a couple regions and 9 in another.

“TBD”

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah, it does seem odd that nobody in the other 3 regions has a problem with the NE only have 6 teams....wonder why.....
olufsen2022
NDPreps Reserve

Postby RiverMiner99 » Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:57 pm

Is it too late for some schools to change their vote? :roll:
RiverMiner99
NDPreps Starter

Postby maddog1971 » Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:22 pm

I am referencing all Private schools in my numbers. I did not make that clear.

If you are referring to Kindred.... Yes the town has grown to under a 1000 people now but Kindred Public schools is a big coop with the school in Kindred. People saying they get kids from Fargo are idiots... I heard that all last year about the boys basketball team... and all of that senior class went to K-12 except one that moved in his 6th grade year. Also kids in the Kindred School district do go to Fargo Davies, Oak Grove, Shanley, West Fargo, Horace and Fargo North because they want a bigger school system for their kids.
Families move all the time. I completely agreed with the 3 Class system and have Zero problem with Kindred, CC, Thompson, NC, Grafton and HCV moving up a class. Sargent County had a great Team this year and Kindred had a down year and Kindred still played for the regional title. SO I COMPLETELY AGREE with the 3 Class system. I just don't think it is done the right way. Having the B and A playing the same time is stupid.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby Thundersnow » Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:02 pm

Had a great time at the recent Boys State B Tournament. The top 5 finishers were clearly the top 5 teams at State and will fit in nicely in the new Class A. In a hypothetical scenario, this year's field would've likely included Central Cass, Thompson, Shiloh, Des Lacs-Burlington, Beulah, then Wahpeton, Devils Lake and Turtle Mountain instead of Warwick, Medina and Powers Lake.

This year's hypothetical Class B State Tournament could have included Warwick, Medina, Powers Lake, along with Bishop Ryan, Bowman County, North Prairie, North Star and Sargent County.

That sounds like 2 really great tournaments to me.
Thundersnow
NDPreps Starter

Postby packers21 » Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:42 pm

Thundersnow wrote:Had a great time at the recent Boys State B Tournament. The top 5 finishers were clearly the top 5 teams at State and will fit in nicely in the new Class A. In a hypothetical scenario, this year's field would've likely included Central Cass, Thompson, Shiloh, Des Lacs-Burlington, Beulah, then Wahpeton, Devils Lake and Turtle Mountain instead of Warwick, Medina and Powers Lake.

This year's hypothetical Class B State Tournament could have included Warwick, Medina, Powers Lake, along with Bishop Ryan, Bowman County, North Prairie, North Star and Sargent County.

If you are from Devils Lake or Bishop Ryan. This years tournament was very good.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby WalkingStick » Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:13 pm

packers21 wrote:
Thundersnow wrote:Had a great time at the recent Boys State B Tournament. The top 5 finishers were clearly the top 5 teams at State and will fit in nicely in the new Class A. In a hypothetical scenario, this year's field would've likely included Central Cass, Thompson, Shiloh, Des Lacs-Burlington, Beulah, then Wahpeton, Devils Lake and Turtle Mountain instead of Warwick, Medina and Powers Lake.

If you are from Devils Lake or Bishop Ryan. This years tournament was very good.

Devils Lake would be a Top 3 team in the EDC next year and they are moving down to play smaller teams now. I'd be SHOCKED if they don't win Class A next year (I won't say undefeated cause I do hope they challenge themselves and still play some AA teams)

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flip » Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:18 pm

I wouldn't be shocked if they lost to Thompson.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby packers21 » Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:59 pm

Flip wrote:I wouldn't be shocked if they lost to Thompson.

I would be, Devils Lake is absolutely loaded. If both are healthy I think it’s 20 plus pretty easy for DL
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Thundersnow » Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:27 pm

Devils Lake and Bishop Ryan will be the favorites next year for sure. In our first year of 3 classes, those 2 will obviously be the big, bad bully in each of their respective classes. I'll take the field and say that neither one wins a state championship next year.
Thundersnow
NDPreps Starter

Postby packers21 » Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:07 pm

Thundersnow wrote:Devils Lake and Bishop Ryan will be the favorites next year for sure. In our first year of 3 classes, those 2 will obviously be the big, bad bully in each of their respective classes. I'll take the field and say that neither one wins a state championship next year.

Field or DL, I’ll go with DL

Field or BR, I’ll take the field
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby maddog1971 » Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:15 am

Thundersnow wrote:Devils Lake and Bishop Ryan will be the favorites next year for sure. In our first year of 3 classes, those 2 will obviously be the big, bad bully in each of their respective classes. I'll take the field and say that neither one wins a state championship next year.

According to Minot Ryan they will barely win a game next year. They have nothing left and since they are a small school they have no kids to field a team for next year. What are the chances that happens.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flip » Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:21 am

packers21 wrote:

I would be, Devils Lake is absolutely loaded. If both are healthy I think it’s 20 plus pretty easy for DL

Is Thompson the 2nd best team in that class or am I missing someone?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby olufsen2022 » Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:54 am

Flip wrote:
packers21 wrote:

Anything is possible, but Devils Lake is the clear favorite. Not sure if Thompson is 2nd best in the middle class next year. They should be up there. Teams like Kindred and Central Cass, probably Four Winds as they seem to reload every year will be very good as well. I'm not as familiar with the West teams. Who are the favorites from that side of the state next year?
olufsen2022
NDPreps Reserve

Postby BasketballMind » Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:03 am

olufsen2022 wrote:
Flip wrote:
packers21 wrote:

Anything is possible, but Devils Lake is the clear favorite. Not sure if Thompson is 2nd best in the middle class next year. They should be up there. Teams like Kindred and Central Cass, probably Four Winds as they seem to reload every year will be very good as well. I'm not as familiar with the West teams. Who are the favorites from that side of the state next year?

Next years senior class is pretty loaded, hope the college coaches have gotten over their class B stigma and recruit some of these guys. Most of the teams moving up have their best players coming back.

Grafton (Baldwin, Villareal, Hanson)
Thompson (Starcevic, Overby, Peterson, Wolfgram)
HCV (Brandt, Olson)
Four Winds (Deng, Leftbear)
Kindred (Oase, Peraza, Bakko)
Central Cass (Vrchota, Holzer, Burr)
Beulah (Everyone)

Not everyone here is a senior but there is lot to pick from for the NAIA, D2 coaches of the area.

Edit:

2-class A teams records in 2022-23

Devils Lake: 14-10
Wahpeton: 9-13
Valley City: 2-20
Turtle Mountain: 7-17
Watford City: 1-21

Valley City's wins last year were against Lisbon (76-38) and West Fargo Horace (70-56)
Watford City's Lone win was against Sidney (62-55).
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Postby CC1983 » Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:16 pm

packers21 wrote:

Field or DL, I’ll go with DL

Field or BR, I’ll take the field

All I know is whenever DL plays 4Winds. I will be In that gym. I would go as far to call it the game of the year.
CC1983
NDPreps Starter

Postby maddog1971 » Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:26 pm

The middle class will be a blast to watch next year. Many really good kids returning and playing at a high level. Bringing in the former A schools will add some great players to a really good mix. Devils Lake will dominate but I see everybody playing for second.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

PreviousNext

Return to Boys