3 class proposal

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: 3 class proposal

Postby packers21 » Fri May 05, 2023 9:36 am

maddog1971 wrote:
Your daddy wrote:Mr Starcevic has no business coaching any young men. It's not a good look when you tell an opposing player "come over here and I'll kick your f*cking *ss" during a game.

I have heard a few things from friends in Thompson and none of it has been positive. If he gets the job as head coach, He has a great staff under him so hopefully that will help.

Aint gunna happen
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby bk1990 » Fri May 05, 2023 10:11 am

maddog1971 wrote:The only private school I have a problem with right now is Minot Ryan. .

You must have been on a team that could never beat them or something. Let it go, your disdain for them is over the top. I don't care what you say, they are a small school, only 94 kids average the last two years and probably going to be smaller next year, from what I hear they are going to have trouble filling a JV and C squad next year. Do to numbers this past year could only have a JV and varsity team.
Is it fair to teams in the new A if you push Ryan up to A, schedule them and they go play Devils Lake, Rugby or another team. Now only the JV and varsity play, the C squad players don't get a game that night, now they are missing out on valuable court time.
So Ryan has been successful, big deal. They have a good culture, their kids work hard and are rewarded by winning games. I know you will come back and say other kids work hard to, I'm sure they do, good for them, but why aren't you bashing them for their success when they have it? Oh, I forgot, the live in a small town and not a city where once again, it is unfair and somehow since a kid lives in Minot and not a Hettinger, or Steele or anywhere in a town with less that 2500 people, it is unfair to them and the privates should have to play up.
What's next? Century has been successful in just about everything the last few years, should we make them move up and play college teams so Williston has a chance to win a few games?
bk1990
NDPreps Starter

Postby BasketballMind » Fri May 05, 2023 10:53 am

Like most things related to the specifics of the 3-class system, the situation in Thompson and Kindred can be summed up with three letters:

TBD!
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Postby Your daddy » Fri May 05, 2023 2:07 pm

I talked to a couple kindred parents last night and they said one of the current asst football coaches got the head coaching job.
Your daddy
NDPreps Starter

Postby maddog1971 » Fri May 05, 2023 2:44 pm

bk1990 wrote:
maddog1971 wrote:The only private school I have a problem with right now is Minot Ryan. .

You must have been on a team that could never beat them or something. Let it go, your disdain for them is over the top. I don't care what you say, they are a small school, only 94 kids average the last two years and probably going to be smaller next year, from what I hear they are going to have trouble filling a JV and C squad next year. Do to numbers this past year could only have a JV and varsity team.
Is it fair to teams in the new A if you push Ryan up to A, schedule them and they go play Devils Lake, Rugby or another team. Now only the JV and varsity play, the C squad players don't get a game that night, now they are missing out on valuable court time.
So Ryan has been successful, big deal. They have a good culture, their kids work hard and are rewarded by winning games. I know you will come back and say other kids work hard to, I'm sure they do, good for them, but why aren't you bashing them for their success when they have it? Oh, I forgot, the live in a small town and not a city where once again, it is unfair and somehow since a kid lives in Minot and not a Hettinger, or Steele or anywhere in a town with less that 2500 people, it is unfair to them and the privates should have to play up.
What's next? Century has been successful in just about everything the last few years, should we make them move up and play college teams so Williston has a chance to win a few games?

Whatever makes you feel good... You are Right... Poor Minot Ryan.. I am happy you get to stay in Class B and beat the crap out of all the small towns around the state. Have some pride in yourself... Play where you belong. You don't think the Big B towns have worked their butts off and build programs? Spent years and years developing the talent pool.....
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby bk1990 » Fri May 05, 2023 10:19 pm

maddog1971 wrote:
bk1990 wrote:

Whatever makes you feel good... You are Right... Poor Minot Ryan.. I am happy you get to stay in Class B and beat the crap out of all the small towns around the state. Have some pride in yourself... Play where you belong. You don't think the Big B towns have worked their butts off and build programs? Spent years and years developing the talent pool.....

I never said I was from Ryan, never even said I was from Minot. I grew up in the he southern part of the state. The posts I have been made, if not questions regarding changes, have been related to everyone from Ryan to Devils Lake. I was stating my opinions on everything from put together a fair system meant to be equal and not single out certain schools, and my thoughts on availability of resources in larger towns does certainly have its advantages, but still comes down to the individual putting in effort. I spoke out for Bowman County and Westhope, don’t sleep in them next year, how DL has a load of talent coming back and will probably be a top team, I have also said good for kindred if they pick up a top transfer and how Thompson would have been solid next year, and probably still will be. So, I spoke on behalf of everyone from the small school to a larger one who is moving down next year, I didn’t bash anyone, just pointed out my thoughts.
If Ryan is a top team next year with only 1 starter coming back I believe, good for them. If Kindred is a championship contender with mainly under class men , good for them, if Bowman County makes a run with their 2 returning all staters, good for them. I won’t whine and complain if teams are competitive, but it is frustrating when others are and to take away the accomplishments of kids. From what I have seen, issues and conflicts are caused by grown ups, not kids, they just want to play
bk1990
NDPreps Starter

Postby leroybla » Sat May 06, 2023 2:58 pm

leroybla
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby maddog1971 » Mon May 08, 2023 1:57 pm

If Ryan is a top team next year with only 1 starter coming back I believe, good for them. If Kindred is a championship contender with mainly under class men , good for them, if Bowman County makes a run with their 2 returning all staters, good for them. I won’t whine and complain if teams are competitive, but it is frustrating when others are and to take away the accomplishments of kids. From what I have seen, issues and conflicts are caused by grown ups, not kids, they just want to play
I just thinking a believe the Privates need to be in the middle class. And I also believe someone like Bowman County needs to be in the middle class by the way.
I can not agree more that many programs that have had success lately have put in lots of work. It is not just given to them because they have more kids in their school. Competition builds talent.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby WalkingStick » Mon May 08, 2023 3:28 pm

Bowman County has had a good run of athletes and because of that you want them in the middle class even though they are 20 students under the cutoff...Bowman County has less kids then Tri-State and Hatton-Northwood...but those schools don't belong in the middle class. Kenmare-Bowbells are just over 100 kids...do they need to be in the middle?? How about Powers Lake and their under 100 kids...there boys have been 'too successful' to be Class B.

This is why it's a set enrollment number for the classes...so people's arbitrary thinking and opinions don't make decisions.
One Stop Shop for All North Dakota Scores
https://www.northdakotaprepscoreboards.com/

"Control what you can control...Can't fix ignorant people"
WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby maddog1971 » Mon May 08, 2023 3:40 pm

Well I guess it is true now the GF Herald put in in the paper.

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports ... to-kindred

Well the Kindred Football team just found a missing piece to their puzzle. It will put them in contention again this year. They lost a talented senior class but this years soph class will fill lots of openings.
The basketball team will also be in the mix by adding Jake and getting Sunram back from injuries.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby packers21 » Mon May 08, 2023 7:41 pm

maddog1971 wrote:Well I guess it is true now the GF Herald put in in the paper.

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports ... to-kindred

Well the Kindred Football team just found a missing piece to their puzzle. It will put them in contention again this year. They lost a talented senior class but this years soph class will fill lots of openings.
The basketball team will also be in the mix by adding Jake and getting Sunram back from injuries.

The fact the paper took time to write a story about this but continually miss actual local sports story is so unbelievably pitiful I can’t even put it into words.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flip » Mon May 08, 2023 9:40 pm

packers21 wrote:The fact the paper took time to write a story about this but continually miss actual local sports story is so unbelievably pitiful I can’t even put it into words.

When I scrolled across this on Twitter I was dumbfounded they took the time to write about it. I didn't take the time to read it.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby WalkingStick » Mon May 08, 2023 10:44 pm

Flip wrote:
packers21 wrote:The fact the paper took time to write a story about this but continually miss actual local sports story is so unbelievably pitiful I can’t even put it into words.

When I scrolled across this on Twitter I was dumbfounded they took the time to write about it. I didn't take the time to read it.

Guarantee this article was driven by the father to have it written...so sad.
One Stop Shop for All North Dakota Scores
https://www.northdakotaprepscoreboards.com/

"Control what you can control...Can't fix ignorant people"
WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby bk1990 » Tue May 09, 2023 7:32 am

maddog1971 wrote:I can not agree more that many programs that have had success lately have put in lots of work. It is not just given to them because they have more kids in their school. Competition builds talent.

This is exactly what I have been saying and why the argument that all privates should have to play up no matter what their school size isn't fair to the kids and based on personal biases. To further the expand your point above, access to competition is what matters. Williston High and Century have about the same enrollment in the high school. Why is it then that Century seems to be in the running for championships for just about everything and Williston has struggled?
In my opinion, Century being located in Bismarck/Mandan area, they have 4 other Class A schools in the area, those kids see their neighbors going to the gym, getting in pickup games and having localized competition, it gives them the opportunity to compete more often against other good athletes. This is the same for the parochial's who are in larger cities, they see their Class A counterparts more often and have the chance to compete against people other than their own teammates. Nobody is asking at a pickup game at the YMCA if you go to a Class A or B school. It seems to boil down more to geography and access to competition. I have in the past agreed with others the access to facilities such as gyms, workout programs, off season training programs is more readily available in larger towns, but it still comes down to the individuals have to put in the work. Williston has incredible facilities, it still boils down to having someone to compete against at those facilities.
bk1990
NDPreps Starter

Previous

Return to Boys