FWM eligibility

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

FWM eligibility

Postby maddog1971 » Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:36 am

If have been seeing things on the social media about some age problems with at least one of the FWM players. I am not naming names but wondering if this is just all Social Media BS or if there is actually truth to it. I was shown the post by one of the players but I do not know if that is his account.
BUT since most of you left on this board know way more than me... I thought I would see if you hand any knowledge.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Re: FWM eligibility

Postby vikingman » Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:43 pm

Someone that played in the state tournament?

It would not be surprising at all. about 10-12 years ago they got in trouble in 2 different seasons for playing ineligible players. I can't claim to remember everything perfectly, but here's my best recollection: In one case, they were supposed to play in the Region championship but it was found out they played someone who shouldn't have played, and so the team they beat in the semi-finals had to scramble to play in the championship game. One season it was playing someone who had just gotten an alcohol violation, and the other season they had played a person who had too many years of varsity playing time. There was also one year when one of their key players turned 21 just after the season was over.
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flip » Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:40 pm

How many years did Rick Smith take off because of some of the issues?
The private schools are absolutely hated by the average poster on here, but almost everyone gives Four Winds a pass. Ask anyone in the Warwick programs if Four Winds is playing by the rules.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby maddog1971 » Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:53 am

The post on social media looked legit but again I never believe anything I read on the internet. But he did state that he is 20 years old and he is leaving the state to play in another state.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby WalkingStick » Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:44 am

maddog1971 wrote:The post on social media looked legit but again I never believe anything I read on the internet. But he did state that he is 20 years old and he is leaving the state to play in another state.

Once an athlete in ND turns 20 they become ineligible…so if he just turned 20 then no infraction occurred. If he turned 20 before state then an infraction occurred.
One Stop Shop for All North Dakota Scores
https://www.northdakotaprepscoreboards.com/

"Control what you can control...Can't fix ignorant people"
WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby BasketballMind » Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:00 am

maddog1971 wrote:The post on social media looked legit but again I never believe anything I read on the internet. But he did state that he is 20 years old and he is leaving the state to play in another state.

You don't believe what you read on the internet but you decided to post it on a big internet forum for others to discuss for you? Can't tell if this is an actual issue or just sour grapes over the result of the state tournament. And anyone that is trying to throw shade at Rick Smith right now, yikes.
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Postby maddog1971 » Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:15 am

BasketballMind wrote:

You don't believe what you read on the internet but you decided to post it on a big internet forum for others to discuss for you? Can't tell if this is an actual issue or just sour grapes over the result of the state tournament. And anyone that is trying to throw shade at Rick Smith right now, yikes.

Sour Grapes? You are an ..... Anyway.... this is a very little internet forum. What do we have about 20 or 30 people total post on here. Some of you are in the know so I thought I would ask. The one player posted it on social media for billions of people to read so I am casting doubt?

Basketballmind... I don't think so... basketballdumb - - - is more like it.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby BasketballMind » Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:30 am

maddog1971 wrote:
BasketballMind wrote:

Sour Grapes? You are an ..... Anyway.... this is a very little internet forum. What do we have about 20 or 30 people total post on here. Some of you are in the know so I thought I would ask. The one player posted it on social media for billions of people to read so I am casting doubt?

Basketballmind... I don't think so... basketballdumb - - - is more like it.

I hope your investigation goes well.
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Postby WalkingStick » Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:33 pm

If he just turned 20 then no infraction occurred under NDHSAA by-laws.

I also thought it was a little odd at first that maddog brought this to light but it is a fair question as many don't know all the NDHSAA by-laws.
Last edited by WalkingStick on Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby yellowjacket » Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:08 pm

[quote="WalkingStick"]If he just turned 20 then no infraction occurred under NDHSAA by-laws. The fact that the athlete states he is now 20 and needs to go elsewhere to play states that they know what the rules are and they are being followed.

If you just turned 20 go to college or get a job.
yellowjacket
NDPreps Reserve

Postby WalkingStick » Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:13 pm

You know..it’s not that simple for some people…If you are held back because of failing, lack of credits or just start schooling late…it’s hard to get into college or even get a job at 20. Hard to be critical because we do not know the details on why (and we shouldn’t have to know).

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:53 pm

Good Lord. All these inquiries are certainly reasonable. Let’s assume this person is 20. If so, they are not a minor and questioning their eligibility is reasonable. Also, just assuming they turned 20 after the state tournament would be quite a jump. So there is absolutely nothing wrong with asking the question.

Apparently just asking the question automatically makes you have “sour grapes” or perhaps you’re a racist for questioning it? There is absolutely nothing wrong with asking and perhaps someone could supply an answer whether or not the original question is true or not. Or is everybody going to jump on mad dog for asking a legitimate question?
Last edited by Bison-Vikes #1 on Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Postby vikingman » Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:02 pm

It does seem as though Four Winds has had more than their fair share of 'almost 20 year-olds' on their teams over the years. That's like having a college sophomore playing on your team. If you could have magically given Paul Olson, Peraza, etc another 2 years of experience, I'm guessing the championship game might have turned out differently.
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Postby maddog1971 » Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:59 am

I honestly do not care about the Championship game. Kindred lost. FWM beat them. I could care less if they had 2 20 year old playing for them. End of story. I was just curious to see if anyone had any information concerning the eligibility.
Also Olson is 17 and actually should be a Junior by age.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby packers21 » Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:38 am

maddog1971 wrote:I honestly do not care about the Championship game. Kindred lost. FWM beat them. I could care less if they had 2 20 year old playing for them. End of story. I was just curious to see if anyone had any information concerning the eligibility.

They would of been eligible to play
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby classB4ever » Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:18 am

packers21 wrote:
maddog1971 wrote:I honestly do not care about the Championship game. Kindred lost. FWM beat them. I could care less if they had 2 20 year old playing for them. End of story. I was just curious to see if anyone had any information concerning the eligibility.

They would of been eligible to play

Eligibility ends on the day before 20th b-day, just to clear that up.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby east sider » Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:01 am

Does anybody know how they vet the players' age who make state? Has this been already been checked out and is a non-story? This is definitely an interesting topic.
east sider
NDPreps Starter

Postby sportsphenom » Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:19 am

east sider wrote:Does anybody know how they vet the players' age who make state? Has this been already been checked out and is a non-story? This is definitely an interesting topic.

I don't think ages are checked, I believe its up to your administrators and coaches to be honest. And we all know that sometimes things are swept under the rug. I too have heard stories on this but it is all hearsay until it is proven. And like someone posted above, in boys especially there is huge growth between being 17 and being 20. I've known some boys that haven't grown until they were out of high school, one of my sons included.
sportsphenom
NDPreps All-Conference

Re: eligibility

Postby WalkingStick » Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:31 am

sportsphenom wrote:
east sider wrote:Does anybody know how they vet the players' age who make state? Has this already been checked out and is a non-story? This is definitely an interesting topic.

I don't think ages are checked, I believe its up to your administrators and coaches to be honest. And we all know that sometimes things are swept under the rug. I too have heard stories on this but it is all hearsay until it is proven. And like someone posted above, in boys especially there is huge growth between being 17 and being 20. I've known some boys that haven't grown until they were out of high school, one of my sons included.

I believe birthdates are needed to enter students into the NDHSAA database...so birthdates could be available to the NDHSAA that way (if they were entered or transferred by the school accurately).

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby RockNRoll » Wed Apr 06, 2022 2:46 pm

LOL
Your lucky FW/M boys didn't win the title the past 2 years also, be really whining around then..
RockNRoll
NDPreps Reserve

Return to Boys