Senior Athlete of the Year

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Senior Athlete of the Year

Postby WalkingStick » Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:53 pm

Senior Player of the Year - just that Senior Award

Mr. Basketball - Career Award

Brandt/Hurlburt are my top 2
Yankton is a close 3rd

Limke, Wagner, Friesz & Hendrickson are the 2nd tier (Friesz may have been in consideration with top 3 if he hadn't gotten hurt...bummer cause Flasher looked primed to be R5's representative)

Don't know much about Nelson from Ray.
One Stop Shop for All North Dakota Scores
https://www.northdakotaprepscoreboards.com/

"Control what you can control...Can't fix ignorant people"
WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby The Schwab » Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:55 pm

maddog1971 wrote:Ok....

If you are starting a team from Scratch to win State this year.... who is the number one player you will draft?

Also is Senior athlete just about how they perform on the court?
Is he about how good of role model he is on and off the court?
Is it how good they are in the class room? GPA?
Is it how good of college he got into?
Is it how much press he gets?
Is it how many dunks he gets per game?

Joe Hurlburt

On court performance is a huge part of it.
Plays a part in it, I would say what type of person he is would factor into it.
Plays a part in it
Could be mentioned, I never consider it a determining factor
No
No
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby packers21 » Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:24 pm

The Schwab wrote:
maddog1971 wrote:Ok....

If you are starting a team from Scratch to win State this year.... who is the number one player you will draft?

Also is Senior athlete just about how they perform on the court?
Is he about how good of role model he is on and off the court?
Is it how good they are in the class room? GPA?
Is it how good of college he got into?
Is it how much press he gets?
Is it how many dunks he gets per game?

Joe Hurlburt

On court performance is a huge part of it.
Plays a part in it, I would say what type of person he is would factor into it.
Plays a part in it
Could be mentioned, I never consider it a determining factor
No
No

Joe Hurlburt and its not even close IMO
Playing Career and Senior Season play a role
Yes
No
No
No
No
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby balla45 » Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:46 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:
balla45 wrote:I think the best basketball player is the player who can most impact winning at the high level. I think that player is Joe Hurlburt. I can explain that in significant detail if anyone would like.

The way I look at SPOY and Mr. Bball is who was the best player who impacted winning this season with some respect to their entire high school career. I don't care what their potential is on the next level. In my opinion, Yankton or Brandt are SPOY this season. Hurlburt is also in consideration as Enderlin has been very successful over the course of this season and his career. However, not leading his team over the hump hurts him. Who's going to go on and have the most successful college career? Who knows, probably Joe but just going to the DI level doesn't guarantee that. I look at what Mason Walters is doing at UJ and that is pretty impressive and definitely successful. Who cares if it is at the NAIA level.

Take college basketball out of the equation completely.

What did Brandt or Yankton individually do this season that is more impressive than what Hurlburt did?

Hurlburt comfortably wins the statistical comparison. His team advanced slightly further than Brandt’s. Four Winds did make state. If Four Winds happens to play and lose to Kindred at state, did their team do anything more impressive than Enderlin, other than beat Enderlin in a close game, where I felt Hurlburt did outplay Yankton?
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:02 pm

balla45 wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:
balla45 wrote:I think the best basketball player is the player who can most impact winning at the high level. I think that player is Joe Hurlburt. I can explain that in significant detail if anyone would like.

The way I look at SPOY and Mr. Bball is who was the best player who impacted winning this season with some respect to their entire high school career. I don't care what their potential is on the next level. In my opinion, Yankton or Brandt are SPOY this season. Hurlburt is also in consideration as Enderlin has been very successful over the course of this season and his career. However, not leading his team over the hump hurts him. Who's going to go on and have the most successful college career? Who knows, probably Joe but just going to the DI level doesn't guarantee that. I look at what Mason Walters is doing at UJ and that is pretty impressive and definitely successful. Who cares if it is at the NAIA level.

Take college basketball out of the equation completely.

What did Brandt or Yankton individually do this season that is more impressive than what Hurlburt did?

Hurlburt comfortably wins the statistical comparison. His team advanced slightly further than Brandt’s. Four Winds did make state. If Four Winds happens to play and lose to Kindred at state, did their team do anything more impressive than Enderlin, other than beat Enderlin in a close game, where I felt Hurlburt did outplay Yankton?

I'll play the counterpoint, even though I think Joe should win the award.

If you take Joe Hurlburt off of Enderlin, what do you feel their record is? 15-8? 14-9? That would be my guess. Make the semi's in region 1

If you take Yankton off of FWM what is their record? 23-1? 22-2? Still win region 4

If you take Trey Brandt off of Beulah I would venture to guess that their regular season record would have been 7-14 and they would have maybe made the quarterfinals in region 7.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:15 pm

I agree with this.

Same thing with Flasher and Friesz.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:19 pm

balla45 wrote:I agree with this.

Same thing with Flasher and Friesz.

Absolutely. I think if Friesz was able to stay healthy I think Flasher would represent region 5 at state. I also think you could make the same case for Wagner and Ellendale, although I didn't watch as many of their games this year as I would have liked to.

I think it's a 3 person race between Brandt, Hurlburt and Yankton. I would not be surprised if any of the 3 of the win it. I think with Enderlin not making state the gap closed a little bit in my mind. If I had to bet on the award I would say that Trey Brandt will win it.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Sportsrube » Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:02 am

Question for Ball45, or anyone else who knows the answer. How is the Gatorade Player of the Year chosen in ND? What is the criteria? Who makes the decision? We know coaches vote for the Senior Athlete of the Year (which in my mind makes it a more prestigious award than Mr. Basketball) and the media votes for Mr. Basketball but I know nothing about the Gatorade Player of the Year.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby balla45 » Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:17 am

High school coaches can nominate a player for GPOY and the Gatorade selection group.

The biggest difference between Gatorade and others is that all classes are eligible. They consider on court accomplishments, GPA, and character type things like volunteer work and what not.

A nominated player will typically have their own coach write why they deserve to win, along with others in the coaching community, whether that be another coach in their region or otherwise.

I once wrote a letter of recommendation for Aanen Moody.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby maddog1971 » Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:11 am

My take on it is all senior 1 Senior Athletes deserve the award. BUT IMO I will take the players that are not worried about their stats or awards but the kid who plays so he team will win the game.
Last edited by maddog1971 on Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby d_fense » Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:18 am

Sportsrube wrote:Question for Ball45, or anyone else who knows the answer. How is the Gatorade Player of the Year chosen in ND? What is the criteria? Who makes the decision? We know coaches vote for the Senior Athlete of the Year (which in my mind makes it a more prestigious award than Mr. Basketball) and the media votes for Mr. Basketball but I know nothing about the Gatorade Player of the Year.

I would defiantly lean the other way. I think Mr. Basketball is a more prestigious award. To me senior player of the year would be like District Player of the Year compared to the Mr. Basketball, Region Player of the Year. Region player of the year is only for Class B, Class A has their own. Where Mr. Basketball is an award that there is only one of for the whole state. Who votes for it doesn't matter to me. Coaches are busy with their own teams and scouting who they will or may play. Most don't have time to spend learning about a kid 200 miles away that there is nearly no chance they will ever play against.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby classB4ever » Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:19 am

maddog1971 wrote:My take on it is all Region 1 Senior Athletes deserve the award.

Assuming this is a typo?
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby The Schwab » Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:46 am

I have seen all of the regional senior athlete of the year choices play numerous times whether in person or online with the exception of the young man from Ray, but I feel confident in lumping him in with the rest of the young men when I make this statement:

The athletes on this list care about winning and doing what is best for their teams, period. To say that they care more about stats and awards is yet another shot at an individual who is a high school student.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:01 am

maddog1971 wrote:My take on it is all Region 1 Senior Athletes deserve the award. BUT IMO I will take the players that are not worried about their stats or awards but the kid who plays so he team will win the game.

Lol what? All Region 1 Senior Athletes deserve to be the State Senior Athlete of the Year?

I would edit your post for clarity, but I am not able to tell what you were trying to articulate.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:04 am

d_fense wrote:
Sportsrube wrote:Question for Ball45, or anyone else who knows the answer. How is the Gatorade Player of the Year chosen in ND? What is the criteria? Who makes the decision? We know coaches vote for the Senior Athlete of the Year (which in my mind makes it a more prestigious award than Mr. Basketball) and the media votes for Mr. Basketball but I know nothing about the Gatorade Player of the Year.

I would defiantly lean the other way. I think Mr. Basketball is a more prestigious award. To me senior player of the year would be like District Player of the Year compared to the Mr. Basketball, Region Player of the Year. Region player of the year is only for Class B, Class A has their own. Where Mr. Basketball is an award that there is only one of for the whole state. Who votes for it doesn't matter to me. Coaches are busy with their own teams and scouting who they will or may play. Most don't have time to spend learning about a kid 200 miles away that there is nearly no chance they will ever play against.

My challenge with Mr. Basketball, and most awards in general, is that plenty of people who have the ability to vote do not do their homework and actually watch games.

The individuals making All Region and getting Region Senior Athlete are the individuals who should. The coaches in that area see those players play a lot.

I would venture to say that few of the people with Mr. Basketball votes have watched 5 full games of all of the candidates.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby Sportsrube » Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:37 am

balla45 wrote:High school coaches can nominate a player for GPOY and the Gatorade selection group.

The biggest difference between Gatorade and others is that all classes are eligible. They consider on court accomplishments, GPA, and character type things like volunteer work and what not.

A nominated player will typically have their own coach write why they deserve to win, along with others in the coaching community, whether that be another coach in their region or otherwise.

Thanks for the info. Is there anyone from ND on the Gatorade election group?
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Sportsrube » Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:40 am

d_fense wrote:

Do you really think the media members actually watch or learn about the vast majority of the players in the state? I have very little confidence in the media knowing anything about very few players outside of their coverage area. I think the media is way more bias when voting than coaches are. Just my opinion.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:46 am

Sportsrube wrote:
Do you really think the media members actually watch or learn about the vast majority of the players in the state? I have very little confidence in the media knowing anything about very few players outside of their coverage area. I think the media is way more bias when voting than coaches are. Just my opinion.

Can only speak for our area which is R4, but our local sportscasters, Mark Beighley and Jake Kulland certainly do their homework and know of all players across the state. Listening to their broadcasts and shows will tell you that. Without a doubt, sports broadcasters/writers will want to push their local talent much like a coach would want to push their players. Will leave it like this, good sports broadcasters/writers are like good coaches, they do their homework and know of all players they might see during the course of the year.
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:52 am

balla45 wrote:
maddog1971 wrote:My take on it is all Region 1 Senior Athletes deserve the award. BUT IMO I will take the players that are not worried about their stats or awards but the kid who plays so he team will win the game.

Lol what? All Region 1 Senior Athletes deserve to be the State Senior Athlete of the Year?

I would edit your post for clarity, but I am not able to tell what you were trying to articulate.

Guessing he meant all Region Senior Athletes. If not, replace articulate with regurgitate.
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Postby balla45 » Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:34 pm

Sportsrube wrote:
balla45 wrote:High school coaches can nominate a player for GPOY and the Gatorade selection group.

Thanks for the info. Is there anyone from ND on the Gatorade election group?

I could not give you an accurate answer to this question with any real degree of certainty.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby WalkingStick » Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:48 pm

Sportsrube wrote:
d_fense wrote:

depends on the media member...there are a few in the NDAPSSA that know about the whole state or do their 'homework' on players/teams.
One Stop Shop for All North Dakota Scores
https://www.northdakotaprepscoreboards.com/

"Control what you can control...Can't fix ignorant people"
WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby maddog1971 » Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:06 pm

The Schwab wrote:I have seen all of the regional senior athlete of the year choices play numerous times whether in person or online with the exception of the young man from Ray, but I feel confident in lumping him in with the rest of the young men when I make this statement:

The athletes on this list care about winning and doing what is best for their teams, period. To say that they care more about stats and awards is yet another shot at an individual who is a high school student.

I am not taking a shot at one player. I am a fan of Joe's and will be watching all the Colorado games I can to see how he is doing. Just because I don't say he is the best player in the country does mean I don't like the kid. He is a Kid and he has made some mistakes. And they all get put out in the public when he does.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby balla45 » Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:37 pm

maddog1971 wrote:
The Schwab wrote:I have seen all of the regional senior athlete of the year choices play numerous times whether in person or online with the exception of the young man from Ray, but I feel confident in lumping him in with the rest of the young men when I make this statement:

I am not taking a shot at one player. I am a fan of Joe's and will be watching all the Colorado games I can to see how he is doing. Just because I don't say he is the best player in the country does mean I don't like the kid. He is a Kid and he has made some mistakes. And they all get put out in the public when he does.

Please elaborate as to which mistakes that individual made that were put out in the public. Additionally, please mention which member(s) on this message board other than yourself posted about any of them.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby hoophoophoop » Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:34 am

Paul Olson should have definitely been Senior athlete of year in Region 1, not even close IMO, probably up for Mr. Basketball also!!
hoophoophoop
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby maddog1971 » Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:05 am

hoophoophoop wrote:Paul Olson should have definitely been Senior athlete of year in Region 1, not even close IMO, probably up for Mr. Basketball also!!

Paul Olson never cared about stats his whole basketball career. He cared about wins not awards or college scholarships. He would put up 35 one game and 6 points with 10 boards and 8 assists. Whatever was need to win. His health also holds him back quite a bit but a fun player to watch. You could see it in the state tournament games. The more they hit him, you could see his energy level go down.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

PreviousNext

Return to Boys