Senior Athlete of the Year

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Senior Athlete of the Year

Postby The Schwab » Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:39 am

hoophoophoop wrote:Paul Olson should have definitely been Senior athlete of year in Region 1, not even close IMO, probably up for Mr. Basketball also!!

This is no disrespect to Paul Olson at all, he is a tremendous basketball player and led his team to the state championship game two years in a row. But no, he should not have been named SAOY in Region 1. There is a hatred that a lot of people have for Joe H, and I can't understand why.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby BasketballMind » Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:04 am

maddog1971 wrote:
hoophoophoop wrote:Paul Olson should have definitely been Senior athlete of year in Region 1, not even close IMO, probably up for Mr. Basketball also!!

Paul Olson never cared about stats his whole basketball career. He cared about wins not awards or college scholarships. He would put up 35 one game and 6 points with 10 boards and 8 assists. Whatever was need to win. His health also holds him back quite a bit but a fun player to watch. You could see it in the state tournament games. The more they hit him, you could see his energy level go down.

Mad Dog with another ricochet shot at Joe is just astounding to see. I don't get the constant jabs at him while making points about a completely different topic.
Last edited by BasketballMind on Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Postby The Schwab » Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:10 am

hoophoophoop wrote:lenny live i been sitting in the weeds waiting to see enderlin play, they are nice players but enderlin dont hold a candle to the 4 sophmores and a junior that start for richland, when the kids get back and they will, Richland is the best team in region 1, by the way the hulburts kid will not be d-1, hes a 6'7 kid playing region 1, grant it 8th grade but anyone who knows basketball will understand

The above quote is from 2018. You've been hating on Joe H since he was an 8th grader.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby WalkingStick » Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:33 pm

BasketballMind wrote:
maddog1971 wrote:

Paul Olson never cared about stats his whole basketball career. He cared about wins not awards or college scholarships. He would put up 35 one game and 6 points with 10 boards and 8 assists. Whatever was need to win. His health also holds him back quite a bit but a fun player to watch. You could see it in the state tournament games. The more they hit him, you could see his energy level go down.

Mad Dog with another ricochet shot at Joe is just astounding to see. I don't get the constant jabs at him while making points about a completely different topic.

hoophoophoop made the comment on this one...Joe's #1 hater!
One Stop Shop for All North Dakota Scores
https://www.northdakotaprepscoreboards.com/

"Control what you can control...Can't fix ignorant people"
WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby maddog1971 » Mon Mar 21, 2022 4:52 pm

BasketballMind wrote:
maddog1971 wrote:

How is that a shot at Joe? Where did you get that from? I think Paul Olson is a great player as I think there are quite a few really good players. Olson never gets talked about because he just helped his team win every week. Are you saying Joe did not play to help his team win games? Because they won lots of games as I can remember. Sounds like you are taking a shot at Joe not me. Joe is still a winner even tho he could not help his team get to state.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby WalkingStick » Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:40 pm

maddog1971 wrote:
BasketballMind wrote:
maddog1971 wrote:

How is that a shot at Joe? Where did you get that from? I think Paul Olson is a great player as I think there are quite a few really good players. Olson never gets talked about because he just helped his team win every week. Are you saying Joe did not play to help his team win games? Because they won lots of games as I can remember. Sounds like you are taking a shot at Joe not me. Joe is still a winner even tho he could not help his team get to state.

He misread who made the ‘shot’
One Stop Shop for All North Dakota Scores
https://www.northdakotaprepscoreboards.com/

"Control what you can control...Can't fix ignorant people"
WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby hoophoophoop » Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:47 am

Just because I think Paul Olson is a better basketball player that means I hate Joe, I have watched many games of Enderlin and Kindred, I don't just watch their you tube hi-lites
hoophoophoop
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby packers21 » Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:29 am

hoophoophoop wrote:Just because I think Paul Olson is a better basketball player that means I hate Joe, I have watched many games of Enderlin and Kindred, I don't just watch their you tube hi-lites

Honest question, what part of Olson's game is better than Hurlburt's in your opinion?
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:41 am

Deleted.
Last edited by Bison-Vikes #1 on Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:18 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Postby maddog1971 » Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:44 am

Olson is a much better defender, quicker first step so he gets to the rim, runs the floor at a higher clip... I will give Olson ball handling as well. He is also faster. A toss up for shooting. Both good shooters.
Although Olson can rebound very well... I will give Joe the rebounding, shot blocker and post player. And he is really tall and long arms.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby maddog1971 » Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:50 am

hoophoophoop wrote:Just because I think Paul Olson is a better basketball player that means I hate Joe, I have watched many games of Enderlin and Kindred, I don't just watch their you tube hi-lites

I can not agree with you more. Just because people don't say all the time that Joe was the best player this state has ever seen and he is going pro ..... does not mean we don't like the kid. IMO he has been one of the greatest players to play in the state but he is far from perfect. HE IS A TEENAGER. He needs to improve.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby BasketballMind » Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:55 am

maddog1971 wrote:
BasketballMind wrote:
maddog1971 wrote:

The king of the backhanded compliment trying to flip the argument onto one of many people here that defend Joe when haters try to get their pot shots in. You hate to see it.
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Postby The Schwab » Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:42 am

maddog1971 wrote:Olson is a much better defender, quicker first step so he gets to the rim, runs the floor at a higher clip... I will give Olson ball handling as well. He is also faster. A toss up for shooting. Both good shooters.
Although Olson can rebound very well... I will give Joe the rebounding, shot blocker and post player. And he is really tall and long arms.

So much of this is incredibly subjective. They play different positions. As I stated before, Paul Olson is a very, very good basketball player. He however, is not a better basketball player than Joe Hurlburt.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:13 am

I think Paul Olson is a good basketball player. I imagine he gets some NSIC looks in a "regular" recruiting environment. The transfer portal has made things much more challenging for high school basketball players. I think he has a lot of Ben Weisbeck or maybe even Mack Arvidson to him, if you guys remember them from the mid 2010s.

I think people struggle to evaluate Joe Hurlburt as he is an anomaly in North Dakota. I have expressed my opinions on this more than enough.

I am very happy for Trey Brandt. Super impressive career and is definitely good enough to be Senior Athlete of the Year. I think he has some Jordan May in him. Coach Murken will definitely enjoy working with him.

I have not talked to Paul Olson in well over a year so I can not speak for him. In my own experience of not winning Mr. Basketball or Senior Athlete of the Year, winning a state championship is something that no one can take away from you and no one gets to vote on. You just win. He has a first and a second, so he won a lot.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby maddog1971 » Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:19 pm

Well You maybe right...

But again.... Olson never played a High School basketball game to get looks from Colorado.... SO if how you judge a player is about the college he is going to... go ahead.... I don't.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby urserious » Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:40 pm

maddog1971 wrote:Well You maybe right...

But again.... Olson never played a High School basketball game to get looks from Colorado.... SO if how you judge a player is about the college he is going to... go ahead.... I don't.

Well Colorado wouldn't ever look at Olson, I do not think anyone is worried about how you view basketball talent, it is pretty simple-minded. "Run Fast, Jump High"
urserious
NDPreps Reserve

Postby balla45 » Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:51 pm

I am so confused here. I compared Paul Olson to Ben Weisbeck who won a national title at Augustana after finishing as a runner up his senior year at SMCHS and Mack Arvidson who played at Northern State and won a high school state title as a senior at GFRR. These were compliments. I was not throwing shade.

My point about winning was very simple. No one can argue that he has a championship and a runner up. This is a good thing.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby Sniper » Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:15 pm

Are you saying Olson is a Colorado caliber recruit and was able to hide this level of talent/ability for the good of the team?

Most players from ND have not played a high school basketball game to get looks from Colorado based on the fact that no matter how they choose to play that game they still do not have the ability to impress Colorado.

What was Joe doing during high school games to get looks from Colorado that was not also something that can help his team win? Scoring at a high efficiency, breaking the state rebound record, blocking shots, all seem like things that would help a team win.

Lastly, for everyone that is bothered by him shooting three pointers I have a question: Are Embiid and KAT hurting their teams when they shoot threes at a high percentage? They can score on most players in the post so should they never leave the paint? It has been implied that smaller quicker guards have been able to guard Joe on the perimeter so can someone give me highlights of this or some stats that show this to be true? Watched multiple games and that was not the case.
Sniper
NDPreps All-State

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:06 pm

Deleted
Last edited by Bison-Vikes #1 on Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Postby maddog1971 » Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:03 am

Sniper wrote:

Are you saying Olson is a Colorado caliber recruit and was able to hide this level of talent/ability for the good of the team?

Most players from ND have not played a high school basketball game to get looks from Colorado based on the fact that no matter how they choose to play that game they still do not have the ability to impress Colorado.

What was Joe doing during high school games to get looks from Colorado that was not also something that can help his team win? Scoring at a high efficiency, breaking the state rebound record, blocking shots, all seem like things that would help a team win.

Lastly, for everyone that is bothered by him shooting three pointers I have a question: Are Embiid and KAT hurting their teams when they shoot threes at a high percentage? They can score on most players in the post so should they never leave the paint? It has been implied that smaller quicker guards have been able to guard Joe on the perimeter so can someone give me highlights of this or some stats that show this to be true? Watched multiple games and that was not the case.

OK... Now you have gone a whole new level of "Are you Serious?" You are comparing Joe to Embiid and Kat? Really ? First of those guys played in ND basketball they would have 6 state Championships and never went 10 feet from the basket. Second... Really you are comparing Joe to two of the greatest players on the planet? Really?? These type of statements is what gets Joe the bad attention on this site and in the public eye. He is a tall athletic basketball player from Small town ND. Just let him have that for now.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby balla45 » Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:05 am

I think what Sniper was doing was comparing style of play, not trying to state that Joe Hurlburt is the same caliber of player as Embiid or Towns.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby Sportsrube » Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:17 am

I would be willing to bet that most of Colorado's "scouting" came at AAU tournaments and not in HS games. Different level of competition at AAU Tournaments.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby defensewinsgames » Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:43 am

This is becoming worse than the 3 class system....it is the only thing discussed on this board...

Season is over, career is over, award is handed out. Let the kid, coach, and team live in peace for a couple days without your all knowing commentary on what they should have done. It is so easy to call the shots from the couch. Can we please quit fighting over a high school kid? Don't know how some of you sleep at night with the way you rip apart kids and coaches. And I don't understand why others of you continue to fuel the fire by engaging with those who clearly aren't going to come around to your point of view - it's as bad as those doing it because it breaths life into it. Arguing with a fool only proves there are two.

Just my two cents...think the whole thing is dumb and needs to stop...Congrats to all of the candidates and winners. Probably the best group of career statistics I have seen from a group in a long time. Brandt, Yankton, Hurlburt all deserved it and would have won it if they were in different classes.
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:02 am

Deleted.
Last edited by Bison-Vikes #1 on Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Postby defensewinsgames » Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:08 am

Bison-Vikes #1 wrote:Fair enough. 1 point to make: This is North Dakota Preps. The thread is Class B Boys Basketball. The topic is Senior Athlete of the Year. If we get "scolded" for talking about the very things listed, than what is left? Shall we discuss Ukraine? No disrespect meant. Although the discussion is certainly on point, will bow out.

My point isn't to tell you not to discuss who should win the award. This has spread over about 5 different threads and ends up becoming personal attacks and critiques not discussions of merit and statistics. Notice I didn't say anything the first two pages of this topic but this has devolved beyond "discussion of the listed topic." This is America, you are free to do what you wish and discuss what you want. I just don't understand why it needs to be a never ending string of personal attacks.
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

PreviousNext

Return to Boys