Region 2 Tournament

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Region 2 Tournament

Postby defensewinsgames » Sun Mar 06, 2022 2:36 pm

What are everyone's thoughts and predictions on the region tournament? Post comments, thoughts, predictions here.
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Re: Region 2 Tournament

Postby packers21 » Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:41 am

Thompson
Grafton
HCV
NB

Thompson
NB

NB breaks through
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby BasketballMind » Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:36 pm

Won't be surprised at any result in this tournament after the regular season.

Thompson beat HCV, NB, Northern Cass, Rugby, Carrington
HCV beat Grafton, Kindred, Central Cass, Northern Cass, Oak Grove
Grafton beat Thompson, Central Cass
NB beat HCV, Grafton, Northern Cass, Lamoure-LM

correction** Grafton beat thompson, not NB
Last edited by BasketballMind on Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Postby defensewinsgames » Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:51 pm

I went from thinking that Thompson would walk away with it half way through the season to now questioning if a red hot Grafton team isn't the favorite but they have to get past a real solid MPCG. The other side of the bracket is going to be really good too with NB and HCV battling and I think that Cavalier NB game might be tight tonight. I thought the one seed was going to be a deciding factor because you avoided that 2/3 game but I wouldn't want to play Grafton right now, I might prefer to be in that other game. Once upon a time I made a comment to someone it might be a boring tournament outside the 2 vs. 3 game and the championship. Now I think it is going to be a great tournament all the way through.

I'm going to predict a Thompson vs. HCV final with Thompson moving on to state but a Grafton vs. NB final is just a likely to me haha. The top 4 are real solid and playing pretty dang good basketball down the stretch. Records may not be as good as other years but that's because they have all played the top teams from around the state. I still believe region 2 will have a chance to make some noise at state.
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby WalkingStick » Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:53 pm

BasketballMind wrote:Won't be surprised at any result in this tournament after the regular season.

Grafton beat NB, Central Cass

Grafton didn't beat NB

NB's two losses are to Central Cass & Thompson
One Stop Shop for All North Dakota Scores
https://www.northdakotaprepscoreboards.com/

"Control what you can control...Can't fix ignorant people"
WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby WalkingStick » Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:59 pm

Thompson
Grafton
NB
HCV

Grafton
NB

HCV
NB

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby BasketballMind » Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:46 pm

WalkingStick wrote:
BasketballMind wrote:Won't be surprised at any result in this tournament after the regular season.

Grafton didn't beat NB

Whoops
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Postby WalkingStick » Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:48 pm

BasketballMind wrote:
WalkingStick wrote:

Grafton didn't beat NB

Whoops

I think you meant Thompson just typed NB

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby defensewinsgames » Tue Mar 08, 2022 1:51 pm

Semi-Final Games:

Thompson vs. Grafton - Should be an interesting game where Thompson's size and inside game runs up against Grafton's shooting and quickness. I think the ability of Thompson to limit shooters from Grafton is the difference, especially the PG of Grafton who is playing some of the best basketball of anyone in the region. He handles it very well and is just shifty. If Thompson limits turnovers and plays solid defense on the perimeter I think they should win. Grafton needs to slow down the inside looks and force Thompson to play on the perimeter. I will take Thompson by a score of 55 to 50.

North Border vs. HCV - Size, depth, and defense favor HCV. Shooting, scoring, and big three favors North Border. Will be interesting to see if HCV is able to get the game to a point where their depth matters at all or not. If a guy or two were in foul trouble for NB it would help HCV's case a lot but NB is pretty good about understanding this and avoiding it, especially their top 3 guys. I'm not sure how they will matchup but Limke and Stainbrook would be a compelling matchup if it happens. NB needs to find ways to get the jumpers falling early and push pace to prevent HCV from using their size on defense. HCV needs to push shooters off spots and force them to finish down low. I think this one ends up really close. If it comes down to a few shots in the 4th I give the advantage to NB, if HCV can get up early and focus on playing defense I give it to them. I will take HCV to win by 2, 60 to 58.
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby RedDirtFan » Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:53 pm

I'm not going to pretend it isn't a little disappointing to see the same 2 teams that generally go to state from Region 2, but one has to marvel at the work ethic of the kids from Grafton and HCV. These are 2 programs that consistently play harder than their opponents. That's good kids, good coaching, and good ground-up programs. As basketball fans more parity would be preferred, especially as Class B continues to become top heavy, but these two programs deserve any credit given to them.
RedDirtFan
NDPreps Starter

Postby pastflyer » Thu Mar 10, 2022 5:44 am

The biggest problem I see is that a team like NB, who has been a very good team the past couple years, only has this small window of great athletes to compete right now, where the Grafton, HCV, and Thompson, who are there every year, never have to worry about having that issue. Yes, they do work very hard in those programs, but the resources available and number of kids to choose from allow them a better chance at success. And all 3 of those would be in the middle division in a 3 class system, while NB would be clearly safe in the lowest tier.
pastflyer
NDPreps Reserve

Postby maddog1971 » Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:59 am

Maybe I am wrong but didn't the big kid move out to NB to play basketball or is that just a urban legend?
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby WalkingStick » Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:41 pm

maddog1971 wrote:Maybe I am wrong but didn't the big kid move out to NB to play basketball or is that just a urban legend?

The family left EGF for many reasons...wasn't just to play basketball.

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby defensewinsgames » Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:57 pm

maddog1971 wrote:Maybe I am wrong but didn't the big kid move out to NB to play basketball or is that just a urban legend?

No you're correct. I have retroactively heard many other reasons but it was one of the primary reasons - I'm sure they were probably partially true but NB was chosen specifically because of basketball. Dad took a job as a para and assistant basketball coach so it sure wasn't for the money or job they left...
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby defensewinsgames » Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:06 pm

I think tonight should be a really good game. Offense, shooting, and quickness out of Grafton. Size, rebounding, and defense out of HCV. Two teams that from what I have seen have very different styles of play. It was a low scoring close game the first time (HCV won 48 to 43). I think Grafton is playing way better now then they were then. I think HCV finds a way to get it done. I have a really hard time picking against the team who has given up 21 and 36 points in the regional tournament - and you can say what you want about the first game but NB was probably the best offensive (scoring) team in the region and was held to 36 with their big 3 being totally shut down. Defense wins championships.....Grafton needs to be able to shoot from outside because they won't be getting many good looks down low with the all of the trees from HCV. They also have vastly superior guard play - because HCV only plays one guard. I think it comes down to if the combo of Baldwin/Hanson or Limke/Gallagher have the bigger night.

I will take HCV to win by a score of 50 to 44.
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Return to Boys