Surprises So Far - Good and Bad

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Surprises So Far - Good and Bad

Postby chief45 » Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:34 am

Wouldn't that be a dream. Likely will not happen. Here are my midseason Region winner predictions with help from classbbasketball.com as I have not seen all potential region winners play yet.

Region 1 - Kindred - Shutdown defense & incredible depth
Region 2 - Thompson - this could change by year end, but right now this is the best region 2 team
Region 3 - Ellendale - Again I could see LLM, but since Ellendale just beat them recently ill pick Ellendale
Region 4 - Four Winds - No explanation
Region 5 - Bismarck Shiloh Christian - Flasher plays Bowman Friday, if Flasher wins I'd put them above Shiloh
Region 6 - Minot Bishop Ryan - they are criminally underrated.
Region 7 - Beulah - Brandt Gets it done one last time
Region 8 - Stanley - Tougher schedule prepares them for PL[/quote]

To be honest your State tournament line up is IMO probably what will happen.[/quote]

As of today the only changes I would consider are LLM out of Regions 3 & maybe Bowman County out of Region 7. Although there is still about 40% of the regular season left for most teams and a lot can happen between now and March.
chief45
NDPreps Starter

Postby The Schwab » Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:52 am

If I had to pick the 8 region champs right now here's what I would go with:

Region 1- Enderlin
Region 2- North Border
Region 3- Ellendale
Region 4- Four Winds Minnewaukan
Region 5- Flasher
Region 6- Minot Bishop Ryan
Region 7- Bowman- They're getting a returning all region player back from injury who hasn't played this year
Region 8- Powers Lake
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby WalkingStick » Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:31 pm

R1: Enderlin
R2: Thompson
R3: LaMoure-LM
R4: Four Winds-Minnewaukan
R5: Flasher
R6: Bishop Ryan
R7: Bowman County
R8: Stanley

Seeds
1 - Four Winds-Minnewaukan
2 - Enderlin
3 - Flasher
4 - Bowman County
5 - Thompson

Flasher/Bowman switch if Bowman wins Regular season matchup

L-LM would be a tough draw matchup, BR & Stanley
One Stop Shop for All North Dakota Scores
https://www.northdakotaprepscoreboards.com/

"Control what you can control...Can't fix ignorant people"
WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby defensewinsgames » Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:21 pm

The Schwab wrote:If I had to pick the 8 region champs right now here's what I would go with:

Region 1- Enderlin
Region 2- North Border
Region 3- Ellendale
Region 5- Flasher
Region 7- Bowman- They're getting a returning all region player back from injury who hasn't played this year
Region 8- Powers Lake

I think I agree with all of these except for North Border. What is your thoughts there Schwab? They lost big to Thompson once already. What do you think gives them the advantage in the regional tourney?
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby The Schwab » Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:45 pm

defensewinsgames wrote:
The Schwab wrote:If I had to pick the 8 region champs right now here's what I would go with:

Region 1- Enderlin
Region 2- North Border
Region 3- Ellendale
Region 5- Flasher
Region 8- Powers Lake

I think I agree with all of these except for North Border. What is your thoughts there Schwab? They lost big to Thompson once already. What do you think gives them the advantage in the regional tourney?

No real reason, just a gut feeling haha
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby defensewinsgames » Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:59 pm

Fair enough! Was curious if you had seen something I hadn't

I would go these 8 teams to make the B right now:

Region 1: Kindred
Region 2: Thompson
Region 3: Ellendale
Region 4: Four Winds
Region 5: Flasher
Region 6: Bishop Ryan
Region 7: Beulah
Region 8: Stanley

If given my choice I would like the see the following teams make it but it isn't how I would pick it right now: Enderlin, Thompson, Ellendale, Four Winds, Flasher, Velva (or maybe Surrey), Bowman, and Powers Lake.
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby maddog1971 » Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:46 pm

Injuries and health of these teams will make some surprises coming tournament time.

Only a few teams can take a few players out of their lineup and win.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby hoophoophoop » Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:33 am

I believe Central Cass will be a tough out, young and have some depth, i can see them beating Enderlin on a big court, Enderlin hope you don't draw them in the semi-finals, could 3 years in a row bounced early!!!
Kindred is just so big it's scary, not very good offensively at 1/2 court, get out and run and play great defense know one will touch Kindred!!!!!
hoophoophoop
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby GOPACKGO!!! » Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:54 pm

You guys must be from waaay out West that you keep selecting Enderlin.

Few things the BIGS can't overcome.
#1 Big Court
#2 Three games in a row.
#3 Teamwork makes the dream work.

:(

I'm fine with being wrong here, unfortunately I'm not going to be.
GOPACKGO!!!
NDPreps Starter

Postby chief45 » Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:42 pm

GOPACKGO!!! wrote:You guys must be from waaay out West that you keep selecting Enderlin.

#1 Big Court
#2 Three games in a row.

I doubt you're going to be wrong. The team to beat in Region 1 coming into the year was Kindred, and if anything Kindred has only solidified that take as the season has gone on. Sure anyone is beatable, but Kindred's defense is playing on another level this season.
chief45
NDPreps Starter

Postby sportsphenom » Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:51 pm

GOPACKGO!!! wrote:You guys must be from waaay out West that you keep selecting Enderlin.

#1 Big Court
#2 Three games in a row.

#4.1 and 4.2. They hate teams that play defense on them and they get lazy on defense.
sportsphenom
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby lennylive » Tue Feb 01, 2022 5:00 pm

sportsphenom wrote:

#1 Big Court
#2 Three games in a row.

#4.1 and 4.2. They hate teams that play defense on them and they get lazy on defense.

I want nothing more than to see Enderlin make state...but all of the above is true for the most part.
The big court thing isnt so much a problem as the rest is.
Seems as though they cannot put in 3 solid games in a row...especially against quality teams(last run NC,CC wins and then lose to LLM)
As of lately they seem to be trying to work the ball inside, which is good.. but they dont feed the open guy for a perimeter shot ..all 5 players can shoot .. it needs to be more balanced IMO, so the other team cant just focus on double/triple teaming Joe/Gus.. however..the team as a whole has been in a shooting slump ..except from the charity line.
1 more thing I will add to their woes. And I have said this from the beginning. They have turnover issues. Taking care of the ball on offense is 1 of the key fundamentals of basketball. Along with playing a good defense. You turn the ball over more than 10 times ..especially against a good team, you're going to be on the losing end of the game. All 4 of the Eagles loses they have had 15 plus turnovers. LaMoure beat them by 4 points... there was a 11-turnover difference.(16-5)
They have OG and Dunseith coming up,. both teams that like to run and gun.
If they want to get to state, and I think they have a good chance of doing so(Kindred can be beat)... they will need to eliminate the TOs, play a better defense (LLM had several open shots and layups), and not get into foul trouble.
lennylive
NDPreps Starter

Postby BelfieldBantams » Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:55 pm

I think the Big Court actually favors Enderlin and then if they were to get to state they wouldn't have an issue with it at all, because of all the TV timeouts. But the 3 games on the big court in 4 days is a much bigger deal for them.

One of the issues from last year for Enderlin was that their first round game was pushed deep into the 4th quarter. If they could have made it a 3 quarter game, I think their game against Oak Grove could have been very different. I do think if they can make it through the semi's, they will have that Wednesday off, so they'll be in good shape for the Championship.
BelfieldBantams
NDPreps Starter

Postby defensewinsgames » Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:23 pm

hoophoophoop wrote:I believe Central Cass will be a tough out, young and have some depth, i can see them beating Enderlin on a big court, Enderlin hope you don't draw them in the semi-finals, could 3 years in a row bounced early!!!
Kindred is just so big it's scary, not very good offensively at 1/2 court, get out and run and play great defense know one will touch Kindred!!!!!

I agree Central Cass is the type of team you don't want to play in the regional because it will come down to if Central Cass's outside shots are falling or not. If they are hitting jumpers I think they are capable of beating anyone in that tournament. I don't see them winning three games to get through the region but seeing them win two wouldn't surprise me (especially if they hold that three seed). Even Oak Grove I believe is capable of pushing those top teams. I also wonder if Sargent County and Northern Cass could upset.
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flying Wallenda » Fri Feb 04, 2022 3:19 pm

Here are my region "hail mary" picks - teams not likely to win the region, but everything fell in place, could with a "hail mary"
Region 1: Oak Grove - if they get hot from 3 -
Region 2: MPCG - a few decent pieces- have been up and down
Region 3: Carrington - just beat a decent Grafton team
Region 4: North Star - feel like they are a year or so away
Region 5: Washburn - well coached
Region 6: Velva - have some good athletes
Region 7: Heart River
Region 8: North-Shore/Plaza
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Previous

Return to Boys