Past Mr. Basketball Winners

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Past Mr. Basketball Winners

Postby The Schwab » Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:57 am

Let's get some discussion going:

Any thoughts on previous Mr. Basketball awards? Strongest group? Weakest group? Biggest snub? Top 5 winners? Anything and everything Mr. Basketball!
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Re: Past Mr. Basketball Winners

Postby balla45 » Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:42 am

Biggest snub - Joe Hanstad.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:53 am

I would agree with Hanstad being one of the bigger snubs. I guess it depends on how you look at it (career or senior award). I've always looked at it as a career award because only seniors can win it. I know he missed time that year, but since he was the WDA senior athlete of the year I was shocked he didn't win Mr. Bball.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby BasketballMind » Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:07 pm

Top 2 winners gotta be Boshcee and Guldseth, after that there is plenty of room for debate.
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Postby The Schwab » Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:07 pm

I always thought that the 99 vote had to be one of the closest. Jeff Brandt was very, very good. I always felt like Travis Kraft got snubbed but it is tough to say that Brandt wasn't deserving.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:53 pm

The Schwab wrote:I would agree with Hanstad being one of the bigger snubs. I guess it depends on how you look at it (career or senior award). I've always looked at it as a career award because only seniors can win it. I know he missed time that year, but since he was the WDA senior athlete of the year I was shocked he didn't win Mr. Bball.

This is still beyond baffling to me.

I still firmly believe that if he was not going to win, he should not have been a candidate, because he was stratospheres better at basketball than everyone else that season.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby east sider » Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:58 pm

balla45 wrote:
The Schwab wrote:I would agree with Hanstad being one of the bigger snubs. I guess it depends on how you look at it (career or senior award). I've always looked at it as a career award because only seniors can win it. I know he missed time that year, but since he was the WDA senior athlete of the year I was shocked he didn't win Mr. Bball.

I still firmly believe that if he was not going to win, he should not have been a candidate, because he was stratospheres better at basketball than everyone else that season.

I don't think it's that baffling. Lamelo Ball was almost runner up for ROY because of games missed. Apparently Hanstad missed enough games for that to happen to him.
east sider
NDPreps Starter

Postby east sider » Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:07 pm

BasketballMind wrote:Top 2 winners gotta be Boshcee and Guldseth, after that there is plenty of room for debate.

Top 1: BOSCHEE, then after him there is plenty of room for debate. McD's All American, Kansas recruit, all-time Class A scorer. No disrespect to Guldseth.

I think right below him is Guldseth, Younger, Berg, Dufault, and Grant Nelson. Probably a few others I never saw play. Maybe Mertens and AJ Jacobson are in that group.
east sider
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:39 am

east sider wrote:
balla45 wrote:

I don't think it's that baffling. Lamelo Ball was almost runner up for ROY because of games missed. Apparently Hanstad missed enough games for that to happen to him.

LaMelo ball won by a lot and the gap between LaMelo Ball and Anthony Edwards is not as big as the gap between Joe Hanstad and all of the other candidates that season.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:03 am

east sider wrote:
BasketballMind wrote:Top 2 winners gotta be Boshcee and Guldseth, after that there is plenty of room for debate.

Top 1: BOSCHEE, then after him there is plenty of room for debate. McD's All American, Kansas recruit, all-time Class A scorer. No disrespect to Guldseth.

I think right below him is Guldseth, Younger, Berg, Dufault, and Grant Nelson. Probably a few others I never saw play. Maybe Mertens and AJ Jacobson are in that group.

I think there is definitely some comparisons between Guldseth and Boschee. Guldseth had 2,200+ career points, led his team to an undefeated season (on the court) and has been classified by many as a "man among boys". He went to LSU for a year, came back to UND and is all time leading scorer and played at UND during arguably their best run of teams.

My rankings have Boschee and Guldseth as 1 and 2 and IMO the gap between them is closer than the gap between 2 and whoever you want to put at 3.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:41 am

Do you guys not have Dufault and Qvale in that upper echelon of winners? Very successful D1 and professional careers.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:40 pm

balla45 wrote:Do you guys not have Dufault and Qvale in that upper echelon of winners? Very successful D1 and professional careers.

They would be in my top 5 I would say. I guess I factor in both high school and college careers to it. Qvale would probably be higher than Dufault in my rankings.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Return to Boys