General Boys BB thread

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: General Boys BB thread

Postby BelfieldBantams » Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:10 pm

If Cass continues to shoot the way they did last night they will be incredibly tough. They definitely won the game last night even with the issues Kindred had last night with injuries.

Yes Woehl was out, Peraza had a finger issue after his dunk. But the biggest one was Olson was not 100% last night and it was very obvious. Once McQuillan fouled out it became very difficult for Kindred to do anything productive consistently on offense. But that is not to take away from Central Cass. They won flat out.

If Kindred gets healthy and everyone is full strength that Region tourney is going to be incredible as all 3 of the top teams look really good. Then will that 2nd tier pull an upset or push one of these teams that can impact the following game. That will be very interesting to see.
BelfieldBantams
NDPreps Starter

Postby GOPACKGO!!! » Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:21 am

balla45 wrote:
hoophoophoop wrote:
balla45 wrote:
ND Basketball Fan wrote:
lennylive wrote:Congrats to Joe Hurlburt on becoming the ND All-time rebounding leader passing the record set in 1972 by Dean Streyle- 1339 rebounds. Great win for the Eagles last night also.

If they don't make it through to the State Tourney this year, one will only need to look at the coach as the reason.

I would say people need to look at what the coach is doing as well. He was able to keep 2 power conference recruits on a high school basketball team in Enderlin, North Dakota, when those type of players are commonly leaving their hometown after their sophomore or junior season. Good job Coach Kraft in creating a challenging schedule and environment where top level players still feel they can grow without needing to transfer to a bigger market.

Are you their agent or trying to be, my god stop putting them on a pedestal, they are good ball players in North Dakota, congrats to Joe though for the record!!! The Dixon kid signed with Lake region, no one brings that up, potentially 4 kids could play college ball, ya so its the coaches fault!!!!!! Its called learning to play with your team mates and stop worrying about college, these are the years they are going to remember not college, win or lose!!!!!!!!!!!

I am not their agent, nor am I trying to be. I do take issue with people taking shots, however subtle, at a coach who has won almost every game his team has played in North Dakota.

I do not think I put anyone on a pedestal in my post. I made an observation that Coach Kraft was able to keep 2 power conference recruits on a high school team in Enderlin, North Dakota. I think it is impressive that he was able to do that.

Why is it the fault of the coach if his team loses a game, but not the fault of the coach is his team wins a game? I do not understand this at all. My interpretation of the comment that I quoted is that if the team wins, it is because the players are good, but if the team loses, it is because the coach is not doing a good job. That seems a bit unfair to me.

I do not understand the comment about worrying about college.

Alijah Dixson signed 2 days ago. It is not shocking that was not mentioned on this forum. Gus Hurlburt made his college announcement 6 days ago. I did not notice that was mentioned on this forum, but it could have been.

I also think it falls on the Coach. If you have 4 kids moving on to play at the next level, there is no reason you can't make even one State B appearance. I know things happen and your not going to win every game, but in three years you should get to the big show at least one time with all that talent.
GOPACKGO!!!
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:34 am

GOPACKGO!!! wrote:
balla45 wrote:
hoophoophoop wrote:
balla45 wrote:
ND Basketball Fan wrote:
lennylive wrote:Congrats to Joe Hurlburt on becoming the ND All-time rebounding leader passing the record set in 1972 by Dean Streyle- 1339 rebounds. Great win for the Eagles last night also.

If they don't make it through to the State Tourney this year, one will only need to look at the coach as the reason.

I would say people need to look at what the coach is doing as well. He was able to keep 2 power conference recruits on a high school basketball team in Enderlin, North Dakota, when those type of players are commonly leaving their hometown after their sophomore or junior season. Good job Coach Kraft in creating a challenging schedule and environment where top level players still feel they can grow without needing to transfer to a bigger market.

Are you their agent or trying to be, my god stop putting them on a pedestal, they are good ball players in North Dakota, congrats to Joe though for the record!!! The Dixon kid signed with Lake region, no one brings that up, potentially 4 kids could play college ball, ya so its the coaches fault!!!!!! Its called learning to play with your team mates and stop worrying about college, these are the years they are going to remember not college, win or lose!!!!!!!!!!!

I am not their agent, nor am I trying to be. I do take issue with people taking shots, however subtle, at a coach who has won almost every game his team has played in North Dakota.

I do not think I put anyone on a pedestal in my post. I made an observation that Coach Kraft was able to keep 2 power conference recruits on a high school team in Enderlin, North Dakota. I think it is impressive that he was able to do that.

Why is it the fault of the coach if his team loses a game, but not the fault of the coach is his team wins a game? I do not understand this at all. My interpretation of the comment that I quoted is that if the team wins, it is because the players are good, but if the team loses, it is because the coach is not doing a good job. That seems a bit unfair to me.

Alijah Dixson signed 2 days ago. It is not shocking that was not mentioned on this forum. Gus Hurlburt made his college announcement 6 days ago. I did not notice that was mentioned on this forum, but it could have been.

I also think it falls on the Coach. If you have 4 kids moving on to play at the next level, there is no reason you can't make even one State B appearance. I know things happen and your not going to win every game, but in three years you should get to the big show at least one time with all that talent.

Same question to you. Does Coach Kraft get the credit if they win a state title or only get the blame if they lose?
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby chief45 » Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:40 am

GOPACKGO!!! wrote:
balla45 wrote:
hoophoophoop wrote:
balla45 wrote:
ND Basketball Fan wrote:

In any region other than region 1 I would agree with your statement. Kindred has had plenty of talent the past couple years, & this year as well that went on to play at the next level in Football or Basketball.

The problem with Enderlin isn't that they haven't gone to state, the problem is early exits in the postseason. Had Enderlin lost to Kindred last year or Richland the year before then people on this board probably wouldn't talk down on Enderlin so much. The problem is that they lost to Oak Grove last year & Tri-State the year before. Enderlin should have easily won both of those games, but credit to the opponents for knocking them off.

If the Region 1 Tournament started today I would actually pick Enderlin to win with how Kindred has been playing lately, BUT since the Region tournaments don't start for another 3-4 weeks I expect Kindred to get back on track and Repeat as Region 1 Champs.
chief45
NDPreps Starter

Postby chief45 » Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:42 am

balla45 wrote:
GOPACKGO!!! wrote:
balla45 wrote:
hoophoophoop wrote:
balla45 wrote:
ND Basketball Fan wrote:

Same question to you. Does Coach Kraft get the credit if they win a state title or only get the blame if they lose?

Coach Kraft gets way too much hate, He does a nice job with that team.
I hope Enderlin gets over the hump this year. I still think Kindred is the team to beat, but Enderlin has to tools to beat them.
chief45
NDPreps Starter

Postby classB4ever » Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:45 pm

chief45 wrote:In any region other than region 1 I would agree with your statement. Kindred has had plenty of talent the past couple years, & this year as well that went on to play at the next level in Football or Basketball.

The problem with Enderlin isn't that they haven't gone to state, the problem is early exits in the postseason. Had Enderlin lost to Kindred last year or Richland the year before then people on this board probably wouldn't talk down on Enderlin so much. The problem is that they lost to Oak Grove last year & Tri-State the year before. Enderlin should have easily won both of those games, but credit to the opponents for knocking them off.

If the Region 1 Tournament started today I would actually pick Enderlin to win with how Kindred has been playing lately, BUT since the Region tournaments don't start for another 3-4 weeks I expect Kindred to get back on track and Repeat as Region 1 Champs.

Have read a lot of your posts. You have a great knack at seeing individual and team talent and breaking it down for all to read. Keep posting. Very good stuff.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ND Basketball Fan » Thu Feb 10, 2022 2:18 pm

balla45 wrote:
GOPACKGO!!! wrote:
balla45 wrote:
hoophoophoop wrote:
balla45 wrote:
ND Basketball Fan wrote:

He would have to get some credit, however, he truly doesn't coach that team, the Hurlburt's do - I have seen Joe go up to his coach when leading by 20 or 30 points with 2:30 left on the clock and say, "Ok, I can come out now" - True! Don't know the answer to this but throwing it out there, when was the last time a Class B school was ranked in the top 10 with a kid who was 6 8" or taller and not make the State B at least once. Enderlin has 6 11", 6 9" and 6 6" and has yet to make a Region 1 Final. Kraft's inability to utilize his bench to give his players some sort of breather continues to haunt this team and will be their downfall again this year. He plays 6 kids only and that's it! My prediction is that he will step down after next years team as next year they will be 500 at best. After next year, they will be bottom dwellers for a few years, lucky to win 1 or t Region games. Kraft does nothing to build a strong youth program. Look at his JV, and Junior High programs - Horrendous. Enderlin should win Region 1 this year based on having 2 Power 5 kids that are both over 6 9" - That should be enough right there to win even if you play 6 kids. They won't however and it will be the coach who let's his two Stars run the show. I would like to add that they are truly Stars and congratulate them for all of their High School accomplishments - Wish them the best of luck in their collegiate careers as well. From what I hear, they are tremendous students as well and regardless of their collegiate careers will end up being successful in life because they can do more than just play basketball.
ND Basketball Fan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby GOPACKGO!!! » Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:09 pm

Chief nailed it above! They can't even get to the ship in Region 1 so why wouldn't we question the coach? If they won the State B I would credit the Coach, if they simply made it and lost every game I wouldn't. Than I would say the kids made it on their own. Look at 4-winds making return trips, that's not all because of the kids. When any team makes it deep into the Regional Tourney year after year, hats off to having a great coach, because we all know talent doesn't run deep in all these schools. Oak Grove & Lamoure are two teams that come to mind on the East side. Anytime you take the court with these teams it's generally not an easy victory. It's not just on here that people target this group in Enderlin, the fans don't even follow them and cheer loudly, so something is going on. I don't think people want to watch individual player with attitudes take the court, they favor any group that plays as a team. It's simply more fun to watch.

Maybe we shouldn't blame the Coach and blame the people that work with these kids in the off season? Maybe that's where they're becoming individuals on the court?
GOPACKGO!!!
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:15 pm

GOPACKGO!!! wrote:Maybe we shouldn't blame the Coach and blame the people that work with these kids in the off season? Maybe that's where they're becoming individuals on the court?

https://d1mnbasketball.com/alumni/

Lot of team first guys on that alumni list in my opinion.

Fran McCaffery had his kid play for them so I am thinking they are doing a good job.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:36 pm

ND Basketball Fan wrote:
balla45 wrote:
GOPACKGO!!! wrote:
balla45 wrote:
hoophoophoop wrote:
balla45 wrote:
ND Basketball Fan wrote:

He would have to get some credit, however, he truly doesn't coach that team, the Hurlburt's do - I have seen Joe go up to his coach when leading by 20 or 30 points with 2:30 left on the clock and say, "Ok, I can come out now" - True! Don't know the answer to this but throwing it out there, when was the last time a Class B school was ranked in the top 10 with a kid who was 6 8" or taller and not make the State B at least once. Enderlin has 6 11", 6 9" and 6 6" and has yet to make a Region 1 Final. Kraft's inability to utilize his bench to give his players some sort of breather continues to haunt this team and will be their downfall again this year. He plays 6 kids only and that's it! My prediction is that he will step down after next years team as next year they will be 500 at best. After next year, they will be bottom dwellers for a few years, lucky to win 1 or t Region games. Kraft does nothing to build a strong youth program. Look at his JV, and Junior High programs - Horrendous. Enderlin should win Region 1 this year based on having 2 Power 5 kids that are both over 6 9" - That should be enough right there to win even if you play 6 kids. They won't however and it will be the coach who let's his two Stars run the show. I would like to add that they are truly Stars and congratulate them for all of their High School accomplishments - Wish them the best of luck in their collegiate careers as well. From what I hear, they are tremendous students as well and regardless of their collegiate careers will end up being successful in life because they can do more than just play basketball.

I just always felt that the point of this site was to speak about athletics in our state and the participants in a positive way. I do not envy the position that Kraft is in. It seems that is is basically win it all or you have failed. That is a challenging situation to be in, and I think anyone can agree with that.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby east sider » Thu Feb 10, 2022 6:44 pm

chief45 wrote:The problem with Enderlin isn't that they haven't gone to state, the problem is early exits in the postseason. Had Enderlin lost to Kindred last year or Richland the year before then people on this board probably wouldn't talk down on Enderlin so much. The problem is that they lost to Oak Grove last year & Tri-State the year before. Enderlin should have easily won both of those games, but credit to the opponents for knocking them off.

Nail on the head. There are a few haters in here that are almost guaranteed to be Region 1 rivals. But the rest of us aren't haters, just doubters. I will be rooting for Enderlin but if I have to make a bet between them and the R1 field, I'll take the field.
east sider
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:31 pm

balla45 wrote:I just always felt that the point of this site was to speak about athletics in our state and the participants in a positive way. I do not envy the position that Kraft is in. It seems that is is basically win it all or you have failed. That is a challenging situation to be in, and I think anyone can agree with that.

Enderlin is the most talented team in the history of class b basketball. I think winning a state title is a fair expectation.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby classB4ever » Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:58 am

Flip wrote:
balla45 wrote:I just always felt that the point of this site was to speak about athletics in our state and the participants in a positive way. I do not envy the position that Kraft is in. It seems that is is basically win it all or you have failed. That is a challenging situation to be in, and I think anyone can agree with that.

Enderlin is the most talented team in the history of class b basketball. I think winning a state title is a fair expectation.

Think this pretty much sums it up. Truly believe most everybody is pulling for them due to the pressure that has been put on them. Fair or not, is debatable.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby hoophoophoop » Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:08 pm

Flip wrote:

Come on, the most talented ever, I would take the Richland team from a couple years ago over this team, they knew how to play as a team, plus many more teams I could rattle off, like maybe Milnor team while back, may more!!!!!!!
hoophoophoop
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby east sider » Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:17 pm

hoophoophoop wrote:
Flip wrote:

Come on, the most talented ever, I would take the Richland team from a couple years ago over this team, they knew how to play as a team, plus many more teams I could rattle off, like maybe Milnor team while back, may more!!!!!!!

Facepalm. You just lost all credibility on this site. May as well delete this account and start over with a new one.
east sider
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:17 pm

hoophoophoop wrote:
Flip wrote:

I think it highly probable that Hurlburt and Hurlburt are likely the 2 most talented players to play together on a North Dakota Class B team ever. Dixson is going to play college basketball. I would not be surprised if Bartholomay received NSIC interest or offers.

I think the choice of the word "talented" is correct. Flip did not say, Enderlin is the best team in the history of Class B basketball.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:18 pm

hoophoophoop wrote:
Flip wrote:

I wouldn't. IMO the only team that rivals the talent level on this team would be the late 90's MPCG teams (take your pick if you prefer 95, 96 or 97).
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby chief45 » Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:16 pm

Flip wrote:

In my opinion there are only a handful of teams (and reasons why) I believe can even matchup & compete with Enderlin. I do not believe all the teams below would beat Enderlin, just saying they could compete.

Region 1 teams
Kindred - Size & Depth to matchup
Central Cass - 3 Point Shooting Ability

Region 2 Teams
Hillsboro/Central Valley - has the size to matchup
Thompson - Well Coached & very disciplined

Region 3 Teams
Ellendale - Well Coached & Scott Wagner
Lamoure-Litchville/Marion - Beat Enderlin once, Not sure how but I do know this team is well coached

Region 4 Team
Four Winds/Minnewaukan - Athleticism & Speed

Region 5 Team
Shiloh Christian - Has the size to matchup

Region 6 Team
At the time of this post, I do not believe anyone out of Region 6 could beat Enderlin.

Region 7 Team
Beulah - Trey Brandt

Region 8 Team
At the time of this post, I do not believe anyone out of Region 8 could beat Enderlin.
chief45
NDPreps Starter

Postby BasketballMind » Fri Feb 11, 2022 3:36 pm

The Schwab wrote:
hoophoophoop wrote:
Flip wrote:

I wouldn't. IMO the only team that rivals the talent level on this team would be the late 90's MPCG teams (take your pick if you prefer 95, 96 or 97).

I'll add 2003 MPCG to that list. Had two Mr. Basketball finalists with Craig Nelson and Kyle Nelson.
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Postby GOPACKGO!!! » Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:00 pm

Speaking of Richland, anyone catch the Richland vs Oakes game last night? I caught the 2nd half, watched Oakes come back from around ten down and tie the game. Richland basically wasted the game away & their opportunity at the end, but anyway, with a little over 1sec left in the game, Oakes inbounded the ball and nailed a half court shot for the win. Now that's the way to pull off a victory! :D
GOPACKGO!!!
NDPreps Starter

Postby 3sportfan » Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:08 pm

The Schwab wrote:
hoophoophoop wrote:
Flip wrote:

This right here MPCG
3sportfan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby vikingman » Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:56 pm

GOPACKGO!!! wrote:Speaking of Richland, anyone catch the Richland vs Oakes game last night? I caught the 2nd half, watched Oakes come back from around ten down and tie the game. Richland basically wasted the game away & their opportunity at the end, but anyway, with a little over 1sec left in the game, Oakes inbounded the ball and nailed a half court shot for the win. Now that's the way to pull off a victory! :D

It's not the first time the NFHS auto-cam missed a half-court shot.
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Postby packers21 » Fri Feb 11, 2022 7:42 pm

vikingman wrote:
GOPACKGO!!! wrote:Speaking of Richland, anyone catch the Richland vs Oakes game last night? I caught the 2nd half, watched Oakes come back from around ten down and tie the game. Richland basically wasted the game away & their opportunity at the end, but anyway, with a little over 1sec left in the game, Oakes inbounded the ball and nailed a half court shot for the win. Now that's the way to pull off a victory! :D

It's not the first time the NFHS auto-cam missed a half-court shot.

I’ve never seen someone hate something as much as you do NFHS
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby vikingman » Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:14 pm

That's my first complaint this month.
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Postby packers21 » Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:15 pm

vikingman wrote:That's my first complaint this month.

:lol:
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

PreviousNext

Return to Boys