Hoopster Pre-season Top 40

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Hoopster Pre-season Top 40

Postby GOPACKGO!!! » Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:54 pm

Hoopster Pre-season Top 40 turns into an Enderlin/Joe Hurlburt topic. Two thumbs down! This could've been an interesting topic before it went he said she said.

Hey, you guys see Fourwinds beat Enderlin on a short court? :lol:
GOPACKGO!!!
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:00 pm

I do apologize. I will move all of these posts to a different thread when I have time to do so tomorrow.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby classB4ever » Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:45 am

balla45 wrote:Is it really surprising that the most highly recruited male North Dakota high school basketball player this century would get hype on a Class B sports forum?

Agreed. This site has become quite slow due to various reasons. However, to have talent like these kids possess, I would hope it would be ok to discuss. For years, there has been praise and constructive criticism for all teams/players on this site. If we can't talk about class b basketball on a class b basketball thread, shall we talk about the weather?

balla45 wrote:As spacing would typically not have 2 players occupy the block, and Joe has a more advanced perimeter game than Gus, it makes a lot of sense, to me, for that team to have Gus occupy the block and the rest of the team make plays from the perimeter and space off of Gus.

Just a few replies to previous posters.

You have coached a lot of basketball and we all know there are ways to exploit different matchups for different teams. With that said and admittedly being old school myself, in ND Class B basketball, I'll agree to disagree to the above. 2 cents.
Last edited by classB4ever on Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby maddog1971 » Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:12 am

balla45 wrote:Is it really surprising that the most highly recruited male North Dakota high school basketball player this century would get hype on a Class B sports forum? It is almost comical to me that some of us want to pretend that the ability is not there when he is signed at Colorado and had a plethora of other high major offers that most players can only dream of. Joe essentially plays combo guard in high school due to the needs of the their team. I think several will be surprised at the things he can do on the block, in the mid post, and out of the pick and pop. When I say needs of their team, in my opinion, it is advantageous to play both Joe and Gus together as much as possible for their team. As spacing would typically not have 2 players occupy the block, and Joe has a more advanced perimeter game than Gus, it makes a lot of sense, to me, for that team to have Gus occupy the block and the rest of the team make plays from the perimeter and space off of Gus.

Joe Hurlburt did not have 40 against Lisbon. Even if he would have, what is an acceptable number to have against an overmatched team?

Deng Deng is very impressive.

Byron is a nice team. They were up 10 at the half. Was a fairly competitive game that stretched out to 16 at the end.

10 points would be ok and 8 assists in Two quarters of play.

Also a combo guard because they need him to play there??? WHAT?? They have a great guard that I would take on my team any day of the week. He should be an all state player if he would have had a chance to grow as a point guard in his early years. I love the kid. Again the only reason they get grief is because they have tons of talent and It makes no sense why those two talented NBA Talented boys do not play 5 feet from the basket in North Dakota. Ever see Jordan, Kobe or LeBron play? If they have a little guy on them... they post up and make an easy shot.... What does Enderlin coach have them do... go out and shoot 24 foot jumpers....
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby balla45 » Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:27 pm

classB4ever wrote:
balla45 wrote:
balla45 wrote:As spacing would typically not have 2 players occupy the block, and Joe has a more advanced perimeter game than Gus, it makes a lot of sense, to me, for that team to have Gus occupy the block and the rest of the team make plays from the perimeter and space off of Gus.

You have coached a lot of basketball and we all know there are ways to exploit different matchups for different teams. With that said and admittedly being old school myself, in ND Class B basketball, I'll agree to disagree to the above. 2 cents.

I can agree to disagree.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:34 pm

As an outsider, I don't see how teams could stop this roster if you have 6'8" and 6'10" running high-low action with the strong outside shooting that this team also possesses. My thought process also factors in the talent and skill set that 6'10" and 6'8" possess.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:37 pm

maddog1971 wrote:
balla45 wrote:Is it really surprising that the most highly recruited male North Dakota high school basketball player this century would get hype on a Class B sports forum? It is almost comical to me that some of us want to pretend that the ability is not there when he is signed at Colorado and had a plethora of other high major offers that most players can only dream of. Joe essentially plays combo guard in high school due to the needs of the their team. I think several will be surprised at the things he can do on the block, in the mid post, and out of the pick and pop. When I say needs of their team, in my opinion, it is advantageous to play both Joe and Gus together as much as possible for their team. As spacing would typically not have 2 players occupy the block, and Joe has a more advanced perimeter game than Gus, it makes a lot of sense, to me, for that team to have Gus occupy the block and the rest of the team make plays from the perimeter and space off of Gus.

Joe Hurlburt did not have 40 against Lisbon. Even if he would have, what is an acceptable number to have against an overmatched team?

Deng Deng is very impressive.

Byron is a nice team. They were up 10 at the half. Was a fairly competitive game that stretched out to 16 at the end.

10 points would be ok and 8 assists in Two quarters of play.

Also a combo guard because they need him to play there??? WHAT?? They have a great guard that I would take on my team any day of the week. He should be an all state player if he would have had a chance to grow as a point guard in his early years. I love the kid. Again the only reason they get grief is because they have tons of talent and It makes no sense why those two talented NBA Talented boys do not play 5 feet from the basket in North Dakota. Ever see Jordan, Kobe or LeBron play? If they have a little guy on them... they post up and make an easy shot.... What does Enderlin coach have them do... go out and shoot 24 foot jumpers....

I disagree with everything about your points, assists, and minutes comment. There are so many blowouts in high school basketball. That said, Joe played about 18 minutes in his 30 point outing against Lisbon. Sure, if he played 30 minutes just to get 40-50 points, I could see where you are coming from. That did not happen though.

I think they do have a very solid point guard in Dixson. Typically teams play more than 1 guard at a time. Who else would you play at the 1 or the 2?

I did not see Jordan live. I have seen Kobe and LeBron live and a lot. I do not have time to go find the percentages but all 3 of them did a lot of mid post work that led to fall away jumpers.
No one that I am aware of has at any time stated on this forum that Gus projects as an NBA level player. Joe is shooting 44% from 3, which seems fine to me.

If you were coaching Enderlin, please tell me exactly what you would run offensively.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:46 pm

The Schwab wrote:As an outsider, I don't see how teams could stop this roster if you have 6'8" and 6'10" running high-low action with the strong outside shooting that this team also possesses. My thought process also factors in the talent and skill set that 6'10" and 6'8" possess.

Feel free to disagree.

Enderlin's 1 loss in to a ND is against the currently undisputed #1 team in the state as voted on by the sportswriters. They scored 79 points in the loss. I would argue that they are not really being "stopped" so to speak. They have things to clean up on the defensive end of the floor and in getting to loose balls and that type of thing, but it is not like they are struggling to score running what they are running right now.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:02 pm

balla45 wrote:
The Schwab wrote:As an outsider, I don't see how teams could stop this roster if you have 6'8" and 6'10" running high-low action with the strong outside shooting that this team also possesses. My thought process also factors in the talent and skill set that 6'10" and 6'8" possess.

Feel free to disagree.

Enderlin's 1 loss in to a ND is against the currently undisputed #1 team in the state as voted on by the sportswriters. They scored 79 points in the loss. I would argue that they are not really being "stopped" so to speak. They have things to clean up on the defensive end of the floor and in getting to loose balls and that type of thing, but it is not like they are struggling to score running what they are running right now.

I think the 79 points is more based on the tempo and style of game. I'm not sure how many possessions were in that game, but I would be curious to see the points per possession. Four Winds was very, very good on that night and they are a very, very good basketball team. One could make the observation that a team like Enderlin should give up very few points in the paint with their roster. One could also make an observation that an up-tempo style of game allows teams to negate a lot of advantages that Enderlin possesses.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:11 pm

I thought the difference in the game for Four Winds was that they got to loose balls faster than Enderlin and got some nice things in transition, as well as a few put backs. I do think they will almost always be able to dictate the tempo in games as they will speed teams up with their pressure.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby WalkingStick » Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:46 pm

He was 14-15 from inside the arc against Lisbon...isn't that where you guys want him to play. Man...when he does that and goes off he STILL gets criticized.

Enderlin & Joe cannot catch a break from some of you.
One Stop Shop for All North Dakota Scores
https://www.northdakotaprepscoreboards.com/

"Control what you can control...Can't fix ignorant people"
WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby lennylive » Tue Dec 21, 2021 6:18 pm

I think Enderlins only real problem is turnovers.

I am not sure how many TO 4WM had in the game...Eagles had 21..
Against Byron they had 22. Same thing happened in that loss to OG last year in Regionals'
Turnovers will kill a team..no matter how good you are.
You reduce that # to something managable...like 10-12.. they would dominate.
This team has been playing together for MANY years...they all have a roll in the game..maybe a little more team ball would be an advantage also. IN both the 4WM game and the Lisbon game, there were many times I saw an open man, but it appeared that the main goal was to get it to Joe...yes I get it ..draw the double team..but then the open man should get the ball and SHOOT. They are all good shooters.
So ..2 things would make this team better..
1 better control of the ball on offense..you HAVE to take care of the ball.
2...better team ball
Going to the game tonight. Sergeant Co so far has been playing good ball..but not sure if Oakes and OG have players missing... just giving SC the benefit of the doubt that they are good.

GO EAGLES !

\
lennylive
NDPreps Starter

Postby classB4ever » Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:32 pm

WalkingStick wrote:He was 14-15 from inside the arc against Lisbon...isn't that where you guys want him to play. Man...when he does that and goes off he STILL gets criticized.

Enderlin & Joe cannot catch a break from some of you.

So, first things first. This is a thread on ND class b boys basketball. A well respected moderator and coach has stated a young man has a decent chance to play professional bb coming out of class b ranks. I went back and read every post, nobody said a derogatory statement about the young man.
There’s a reason traffic is slow on this site. People come on here and try to shame others. Guess what? Won’t work here. When you have this kind of talent on a class b team in ND, there are certain expectations. And you and anybody else who wants to make excuses certainly can. I will respect your opinion. However, this is not the first rodeo for many of us. I will stand by my respectful remarks. They are underachieving right now and no excuses will change my mind. I cheer for them and hope they win state. But I don’t need someone coming on a basketball board telling me I can’t respectfully discuss basketball.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby WalkingStick » Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:43 pm

ClassB4ever: I didn't say anything derogatory was said...my statement was never directed at you...it was directed at the same ol' Enderlin/Hurburt haters on this forum. The game with Byron was close until it got away from Enderlin late in 2nd Half (MN plays 4 extra minutes then ND...so this could have attributed)...Byron is a QUALITY CLASS AAA School**

Class AAA is the equivalent of playing a Class A school like Davies, Bismarck, etc.

maddog1971 wrote:Didn't Enderlin get it handed to them in MN? I heard 15 to 20 and it was not that close. NOW they have to take on Sargent County??? maybe they go 1 and 3 to start the year....

By the way I think Enderlin gets grief on here so much because they are so hyped up all the time with people talking about the NBA players on this team and all the talent and then when you watch them.... very good ND class B team but not even close to the hype people talk about. Also not a fan of the attitude shown on the floor and the T's and also running up the scores on teams. IF Enderlin wins by 40 points and Joe has 40 for the game.... that is just wrong....

Also...Enderlin isn't losing to Sargent County tonight and going 1-3 either. Until Enderlin plays CC or Kindred (and maybe NC & OG if they get hot from outside)...they will ROLL every R1 team.

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby classB4ever » Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:54 pm

Appreciate your response. Our society is frustrating right now. The least amount of constructive criticism brings out the “daggers”. If these kids expect to play at the next level, a little banter on a thread like this should absolutely have no impact on them. With that said, have never felt it necessary to call out high school players. Will admit, like to discuss teams and basketball philosophy. Thanks for your reply.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Sportsrube » Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:10 am

I think one of the biggest reasons for all the criticism/complaints, etc.... is that a lot of people think they could do a better job than the current coach or that they are an expert on basketball. Unless you are at every practice, in every locker room and in every huddle you really don't know all of the things that go into coaching HS kids. (You could say the same thing about football.) One of the first things you learn as a head coach is that there are a whole lot of experts who cant wait to state their opinion win or lose. It's one of the reasons a lot of good coaches say the heck with it and stop coaching.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby classB4ever » Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:53 am

Sportsrube wrote:I think one of the biggest reasons for all the criticism/complaints, etc.... is that a lot of people think they could do a better job than the current coach or that they are an expert on basketball. Unless you are at every practice, in every locker room and in every huddle you really don't know all of the things that go into coaching HS kids. (You could say the same thing about football.) One of the first things you learn as a head coach is that there are a whole lot of experts who cant wait to state their opinion win or lose. It's one of the reasons a lot of good coaches say the heck with it and stop coaching.

Fair statement. Will drop it and get back on topic. Hope to hear more about other teams in the state.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby The Schwab » Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:10 am

I have seen all but 2 teams in region 7 play, whether in person or online. I haven't seen Hazen or GCMR play. My assessment would be that it is not as sure of a thing that Trinity and Beulah will meet in the region championship this season (it's still a possibility.) I don't think the top end teams in this region are as good as in past years, but I think the region is more balanced this year.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Sportsrube » Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:53 am

classB4ever wrote:
Sportsrube wrote:I think one of the biggest reasons for all the criticism/complaints, etc.... is that a lot of people think they could do a better job than the current coach or that they are an expert on basketball. Unless you are at every practice, in every locker room and in every huddle you really don't know all of the things that go into coaching HS kids. (You could say the same thing about football.) One of the first things you learn as a head coach is that there are a whole lot of experts who cant wait to state their opinion win or lose. It's one of the reasons a lot of good coaches say the heck with it and stop coaching.

Fair statement. Will drop it and get back on topic. Hope to hear more about other teams in the state.

It wasn't aimed at you, just a general observation from someone who coached for 30+ years from the elementary levels to the Head HS coaching level. (And I have been guilty of doing it a time or two!)
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flip » Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:39 pm

Any games we should be paying attention to over break?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby WalkingStick » Wed Dec 29, 2021 3:05 am

Beulah came from down 12 to force OT vs Rugby and win by 4

Beulah and Enderlin play on Wednesday in Minot; FWM plays DT
North Border plays Horace’s JV in Northwood

Oak Grove goes to HCV on Thursday; Enderlin plays Canton, SD at the Pentagon

Kindred plays Shiloh in Jamestown on the 1st

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby vikingman » Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:53 pm

Does anyone have a link to the stream for the Enderlin game at the Pentagon today? (if it IS being streamed)
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Postby classB4ever » Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:10 pm

classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby vikingman » Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:57 pm

does anyone have the Enderlin final score at the Pentagon?
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Postby WalkingStick » Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:03 pm

Enderlin 71
Canton 46

Gus Hurlburt went over 1,000 pts today on a solid dunk.

Enderlin had a slow start but had a dominating 2nd half

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

PreviousNext

Return to Boys