Hoopster Pre-season Top 40

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Hoopster Pre-season Top 40

Postby Flying Wallenda » Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:40 am

1) Enderlin
2) Kindred
3) FWM
4) Beulah
5) Shiloh Christian
6) Dickinson Trinity
7) North Border
8- Rugby
9) HCV
10) Dunseith
11) Ellendale
12) Flasher
13) Powers Lake
14) Minot Ryan
15) Lamoure LM
16) Central Cass
17) Thompson
18) Bowman County
19) Grafton
20) Linton HMB
21) Stanley
22) Hazen
23) Deslacs
24) North Star
25) EKM
26) New Salem - Almont
27) Hatton Northwood
28) Garrison
29) Trenton
30) HWC
31) Oak Grove
32) MPCG
33) Beach
34) Mohall-Lansford-Sherwood
35) Wilton-Wing
36) Northern Cass
37) Velva
38) Our reedemers
39) Dakota Prairie
40) Divide County

THOUGHTS? Who's high? Who's low? Who should be on or off??
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Re: Hoopster Pre-season Top 40

Postby maddog1971 » Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:50 am

You never really know this early in the year but I think Enderlin and Kindred will be the two top pre-season favorites. Both School bringing back some very good teams. This is Enderlin's last chance to win state but they have to go through Kindred to get there. FWM will be as good as ever. And I am sure Shiloh will get few people in to make their program one of the top in the State.... DT will be there as well..... I think HCV and Powers Lake are rated way to high. and I think Oak Grove is way to low.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby The Schwab » Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:58 am

Region 1
1. Enderlin
2. Kindred
16. Central Cass
31. Fargo Oak Grove
36. Northern Cass

Region 2
7. North Border
9. HCV
17. Thompson
19. Grafton
27. Hatton-Northwood
32. MPCG

Region 3
11. Ellendale
15. LaMoure LM
20. Linton-HMB
25. EKM

Region 4
3. FWM
10. Dunseith
24. North Star
30. HWC
39. Dakota Prairie

Region 5
5. Bismarck Shiloh Christian
12. Flasher
26. New Salem
28. Garrison
35. Wilton Wing

Region 6
8. Rugby
14. Minot Bishop Ryan
23. DLB
34. MLS
37. Velva
38. Minot Our Reedemers

Region 7
4. Beulah
6. Dickinson Trinity
18. Bowman
22. Hazen
33. Beach

Region 8
13. Powers Lake
21. Stanley
29. Trenton
40. Divide County
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:04 am

Initial thoughts:
1. Will this finally be the year for Enderlin?
2. Will North Border break through?
3. Will Dunseith be able to challenge FWM?
4. Will Beulah and Dickinson Trinity play again for the region title?

My thoughts on region 7
I think if Beach is healthy this season they will be a solid team that could challenge those at the top of the region. Beulah and DT are closer to the rest of the region this year than they have been in 4 years. Hazen might be ranked a touch high, we'll see how they are able to play without their post presence.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby WalkingStick » Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:06 am

maddog1971 wrote:You never really know this early in the year but I think Enderlin and Kindred will be the two top pre-season favorites. Both School bringing back some very good teams. This is Enderlin's last chance to win state but they have to go through Kindred to get there. FWM will be as good as ever. And I am sure Shiloh will get few people in to make their program one of the top in the State.... DT will be there as well..... I think HCV and Powers Lake are rated way to high. and I think Oak Grove is way to low.

Oak Grove has no true post and lost a lot of outside shooting; their one new player won't replace all that...probably should be in the 20-25 range IMO but they aren't better than E, K or CC

Enderlin has put together a quality non-region schedule again this year with 3 out of state games in shootouts (2 MN teams: Byron & Morris & 1 SD team: TBD) along with games vs. Four Winds-Minnewaukan, Beulah, LaMoure-LM (twice), Hillsboro-CV and Dunseith; this is their last year of relevancy because of the Twins. If they don't get there this year...they won't for a long time
One Stop Shop for All North Dakota Scores
https://www.northdakotaprepscoreboards.com/

"Control what you can control...Can't fix ignorant people"
WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:56 pm

The Schwab wrote:Initial thoughts:
1. Will this finally be the year for Enderlin?
2. Will North Border break through?
3. Will Dunseith be able to challenge FWM?
4. Will Beulah and Dickinson Trinity play again for the region title?

My thoughts on region 7
I think if Beach is healthy this season they will be a solid team that could challenge those at the top of the region. Beulah and DT are closer to the rest of the region this year than they have been in 4 years. Hazen might be ranked a touch high, we'll see how they are able to play without their post presence.

FWM lost a lot of seniors and talent from last year's team. Of course, they have a ton of talent coming up as well. I don't see them being ranked that high to start the year. There might be some early season struggles and I'm sure they have a tough schedule in front of them. I'm sure Rick Smith will have them playing well come tournament time and I'm not sure anyone in Region 4 will be able to knock them off.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby justplayalready » Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:51 pm

Did they just reprint it from last year?..lol..pretty safe choices

Other than R6, can't argue too much with it...Rugby will struggle to make it to .500...if all stay healthy at least 6 teams easily better than them in 6.

In R4, I think North Star is a year away, but if things fall right...
justplayalready
NDPreps All-State

Postby maddog1971 » Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:12 am

WalkingStick wrote:
maddog1971 wrote:You never really know this early in the year but I think Enderlin and Kindred will be the two top pre-season favorites. Both School bringing back some very good teams. This is Enderlin's last chance to win state but they have to go through Kindred to get there. FWM will be as good as ever. And I am sure Shiloh will get few people in to make their program one of the top in the State.... DT will be there as well..... I think HCV and Powers Lake are rated way to high. and I think Oak Grove is way to low.

Oak Grove has no true post and lost a lot of outside shooting; their one new player won't replace all that...probably should be in the 20-25 range IMO but they aren't better than E, K or CC

Enderlin has put together a quality non-region schedule again this year with 3 out of state games in shootouts (2 MN teams: Byron & Morris & 1 SD team: TBD) along with games vs. Four Winds-Minnewaukan, Beulah, LaMoure-LM (twice), Hillsboro-CV and Dunseith; this is their last year of relevancy because of the Twins. If they don't get there this year...they won't for a long time

I don't know anything about the kid coming into Oak Grove from West Fargo but I was told that he played for them last year and is a big kid that can play the Post. So I don't know???? Just talk from the kids. And Card always finds a way to win. Finds a style that works for him and makes his kids play with confidence.

Also Powers Lake is very well coached but If they make it to state this year Carlson needs to be coach of the year HANDS DOWN.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby WalkingStick » Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:16 am

maddog1971 wrote:
WalkingStick wrote:

I don't know anything about the kid coming into Oak Grove from West Fargo but I was told that he played for them last year and is a big kid that can play the Post. So I don't know???? Just talk from the kids. And Card always finds a way to win. Finds a style that works for him and makes his kids play with confidence.

Also Powers Lake is very well coached but If they make it to state this year Carlson needs to be coach of the year HANDS DOWN.

Kid transferred in because he wasn't going to play at WF as a senior...family did necessary steps to make it a legal transfer; paying full tuition of roughly $11,000 for this one year as well (gf attends OG...is what I was told...part of the reason for the school change as well)

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Your daddy » Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:11 am

What a great time to be alive! A kid gets to transfer to a class b school and play against smaller schools because he isn't good enough and misses his gf! Here's how it would go in my house. Dad I'm not good enough to get any playing time and I don't get to see my gf all day can you please pay $11k so I can go to a smaller school? Me: heck no! Get better or enjoy the bench! And you will live without seeing your gf every second of every day! Anther reason private schools should play class a basketball!
Your daddy
NDPreps Starter

Postby leroybla » Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:32 am

Your daddy wrote:What a great time to be alive! A kid gets to transfer to a class b school and play against smaller schools because he isn't good enough and misses his gf! Here's how it would go in my house. Dad I'm not good enough to get any playing time and I don't get to see my gf all day can you please pay $11k so I can go to a smaller school? Me: heck no! Get better or enjoy the bench! And you will live without seeing your gf every second of every day! Anther reason private schools should play class a basketball!
As a bench-rider in a small class B school, with no lower level of competition available, I agree.
leroybla
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby WalkingStick » Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:49 am

Your daddy wrote:What a great time to be alive! A kid gets to transfer to a class b school and play against smaller schools because he isn't good enough and misses his gf! Here's how it would go in my house. Dad I'm not good enough to get any playing time and I don't get to see my gf all day can you please pay $11k so I can go to a smaller school? Me: heck no! Get better or enjoy the bench! And you will live without seeing your gf every second of every day! Anther reason private schools should play class a basketball!

The school didn't go out and recruit this kid...parents (and probably gf family) talked and it happened. BUT this is such a rare case (especially at this private school) because most families cannot afford to do this. And the gf isn't the reason for the switch...I just think it was the 'open door' to considering it.

I support the private schools but I don't agree with this scenario as he's coming in and taking the place of an athlete that has worked hard for his spot...knowing Coach Card...he'll earn his playing time and Card will utilize as many bodies as possible anyways.

Private schools are good for so many reasons and kids come to those schools for a variety of reasons...but this forum only sees the one and bashes that; there are more to these schools then just athletics. Oh, and if this school was 'recruiting' athletes...then why is their football team & girls basketball teams rarely winning games?? (no offense to those teams either, their coaches have to work with what they have and they do a fine job...just trying to make a point). In the end, more athletes end up leaving this private school, in question, then they gain; they gain more students for theatre, choir and just simply academics. Some will understand this...but many here are nearsighted and will only see the athletics side and will continue to bash the school for that. Over 90% of athletes at this school in question, in any given year, have been attending since middle school.

NOTE: I do believe other private schools do 'recruit' a bit more heavily...it never shocks me anymore when Shiloh gets a random area stud athlete (boy or girl) to attend and make a difference...like they've done this year.
Last edited by WalkingStick on Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Sportsrube » Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:12 am

WalkingStick wrote:

The school didn't go out and recruit this kid...parents (and probably gf family) talked and it happened. BUT this is such a rare case (especially at this private school) because most families cannot afford to do this. And the gf isn't the reason for the switch...I just think it was the 'open door' to considering it.

I support the private schools but I don't agree with this scenario as he's coming in and taking the place of an athlete that has worked hard for his spot...knowing Coach Card...he'll earn his playing time and Card will utilize as many bodies as possible anyways.

Private schools are good for so many reasons and kids come to those schools for a variety of reasons...but this forum only sees the one and bashes that; there are more to these schools then just athletics. Oh, and if this school was 'recruiting' athletes...then why is their football team & girls basketball teams rarely winning games?? In the end, more athletes end up leaving this private school, in question, then they gain; they gain more students for theatre, choir and just simply academics. Some will understand this...but many here are nearsighted and will only see the athletics side and will continue to bash the school for that. Over 90% of athletes at this school in question, in any given year, have been attending since middle school.

NOTE: I do believe other private schools do 'recruit' a bit more heavily...it never shocks me anymore when Shiloh gets a random area stud athlete (boy or girl) to attend and make a difference...like they've done this year.

One of the reasons for that is because when a star musician or actor/actress or even a star academic transfers it doesn't make the news and the schools don't talk about it like they do when the star athlete transfers in. Oh, and you are spot on about Shiloh, they seem to get someone for boys or girls basketball almost every single year.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby WalkingStick » Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:16 am

Do we even know if this kid will be a 'star athlete'??

Everyone is just assuming at this point...we won't know until games happen.

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ND Basketball Fan » Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:41 am

Don't bash the kid for wanting an opportunity to play. You see more movement in Public schools where kids transfer because they want to play with their AAU friends. Pretty prevalent in MN and a few cases in ND. I agree with Walking Sticks comments that 90% of the kids who currently play BBALL at this school have been enrolled since Middle School -I bet that % is even higher. From what I hear, the kid that transferred will be a good role player, maybe 2nd or 3rd off the bench. Oak Grove should be pretty good this year - They are not going to be tall but their style of play will allow them to score with the best of them. They return 4 kids that played a great deal last year, plus they have a kid that played JV and a bit on V that should really help with their scoring. They should go 8 deep and be competitive. Plus, Card will always find a way to get his boys ready for the big game.
I look for them to be the 3rd seed in Region 1 - Enderlin, Kindred, OG, CC, North Sargeant, Wyndmere, NC - round out the top 7 in my opinion.
ND Basketball Fan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby WalkingStick » Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:00 pm

ND Basketball Fan wrote:Don't bash the kid for wanting an opportunity to play. You see more movement in Public schools where kids transfer because they want to play with their AAU friends. Pretty prevalent in MN and a few cases in ND. I agree with Walking Sticks comments that 90% of the kids who currently play BBALL at this school have been enrolled since Middle School -I bet that % is even higher. From what I hear, the kid that transferred will be a good role player, maybe 2nd or 3rd off the bench. Oak Grove should be pretty good this year - They are not going to be tall but their style of play will allow them to score with the best of them. They return 4 kids that played a great deal last year, plus they have a kid that played JV and a bit on V that should really help with their scoring. They should go 8 deep and be competitive. Plus, Card will always find a way to get his boys ready for the big game.
I look for them to be the 3rd seed in Region 1 - Enderlin, Kindred, OG, CC, North Sargent, Wyndmere, NC - round out the top 7 in my opinion.

Earlier comments made make this player seem like the 'second coming' when in reality he's a role player.

Home games vs. CC, NC & Thompson
Road games vs. Enderlin, Kindred, FW-M, HCV, Shiloh & DGF
Neutral Site vs. DT (@ Shiloh), Beulah (U of J) & Pelican Rapids (@ Perham); Plenty of quality games to prepare for season's end.

Region 1 should be an entertaining group of teams to watch.

My thoughts are (Tier 2 & 3 aren't separated by much); Maple River a bit unknown to me...not sure how much HP will help this year...
Tier 1
Enderlin
Kindred

Tier 2
Central Cass
Oak Grove
Northern Cass
Sargent County

Tier 3
Wyndmere-Lidgerwood
Lisbon
Maple River

Tier 4
Richland
Hankinson
Tri-State
Last edited by WalkingStick on Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ND Basketball Fan » Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:07 pm

Region 1 will be a fun watch and so will Region 2. North Border, Hillsboro and Thompson will be intriguing to see who takes home Region 2.

I will be fun to see how the team concept of Kindred will match up with Enderlin's twin towers. These two teams are head and shoulders above the other teams in Region 1 - In my opinion.

Whomever comes out of Region 1 or 2 has a very good chance on playing Saturday night at State.
ND Basketball Fan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Your daddy » Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:06 pm

First off I wasn't bashing the player. I was making the point that is crazy a parent would pay that much money just so there kid could play. What happened to hard work and maybe realizing they might not be good enough and could probably help the team in other ways. We wonder why our kids act the way they do nowadays. They always want instant gratification. Well here you go! In sorry you're not good enough little Johnny, let me break out the checkbook and I'll find a place you can get some playing time. Maybe kids transferring to private schools should have to sit out a year or 6 months like the public kids have to.
Your daddy
NDPreps Starter

Postby WalkingStick » Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:18 pm

Your daddy wrote:First off I wasn't bashing the player. I was making the point that is crazy a parent would pay that much money just so there kid could play. What happened to hard work and maybe realizing they might not be good enough and could probably help the team in other ways. We wonder why our kids act the way they do nowadays. They always want instant gratification. Well here you go! In sorry you're not good enough little Johnny, let me break out the checkbook and I'll find a place you can get some playing time. Maybe kids transferring to private schools should have to sit out a year or 6 months like the public kids have to.

They do have to sit out if they just transfer...if they move their old residence outside of Fargo to a new residence within the city limits...it's legal (using Fargo for this scenario; statewide rule).

Athletes who live in Fargo city limits and transfer in have to sit out ONE YEAR since Fargo is the 'defined' district for transfer rule (if transferring after natural break...varies between freshman or sophomore...depends on the school transferring from).

'Bashing' statement was directed as a whole generalization of private schools and getting new students...not directed at any one particular person
Last edited by WalkingStick on Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ND Basketball Fan » Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:21 pm

Your daddy wrote:First off I wasn't bashing the player. I was making the point that is crazy a parent would pay that much money just so there kid could play. What happened to hard work and maybe realizing they might not be good enough and could probably help the team in other ways. We wonder why our kids act the way they do nowadays. They always want instant gratification. Well here you go! In sorry you're not good enough little Johnny, let me break out the checkbook and I'll find a place you can get some playing time. Maybe kids transferring to private schools should have to sit out a year or 6 months like the public kids have to.

I do agree that 11k is a lot of money just to have a shot of playing Class B Basketball but I give the parents credit as they have the means of allowing their son a chance to continue playing for a year. I might be wrong on this but if a kid from a public school transfers to another public school outside of their city, they don't have to sit 6 months or a year, do they? My understanding is this kid is coming from West Fargo and has a parent that lives in Fargo - that is how he gets to play right away.

You were bashing as you also made a comment about not seeing his GF
ND Basketball Fan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby WalkingStick » Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:23 pm

ND Basketball Fan wrote:

I do agree that 11k is a lot of money just to have a shot of playing Class B Basketball but I give the parents credit as they have the means of allowing their son a chance to continue playing for a year. I might be wrong on this but if a kid from a public school transfers to another public school outside of their city, they don't have to sit 6 months or a year, do they? My understanding is this kid is coming from West Fargo and has a parent that lives in Fargo - that is how he gets to play right away.

You were bashing as you also made a comment about not seeing his GF

Maybe he came for academic or better social setting purposes as well...private schools do tend to have some other opportunities; maybe sports wasn't the main reason for his transfer...happens a lot more than most think.

Unless you know the family personally...you may never know the full reason for the switch in schools; most on here want to assume it's always only sports related.

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Your daddy » Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:20 pm

My last comment on the situation. The whole problem would be solved if the NDHSAA would either make all the private schools play class a or higher or make them form their own league. They shouldn't be allowed to play class b in any sport or activity. But that's just wishful thinking and will never happen.
Your daddy
NDPreps Starter

Postby WalkingStick » Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:28 pm

Your daddy wrote:My last comment on the situation. The whole problem would be solved if the NDHSAA would either make all the private schools play class a or higher or make them form their own league. They shouldn't be allowed to play class b in any sport or activity. But that's just wishful thinking and will never happen.

I disagree with the Class A statement...but I do support a 3rd class and all but WTC being in the middle class for Basketball.

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby BasketballMind » Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:52 pm

Alright before this derails into another god-forsaken argument about a 3-class system lets get back to the rankings themselves. I'd like to hear where maddog thinks HCV and Powers Lake should be ranked as they are "way too high" in his opinion. I don't see an issue with either of them being ranked where they are.

The winner of R1 will be the favorite going into the state tournament, whether it's Kindred or Enderlin. Let's see if Enderlin is willing to play their two big guys close to the basket this year or if it's more of what we're used to. FWM will be very good, but inexperience could cost them.

R2 is a little more up for grabs than it was prior to the 6-man state championship game, but NB is in an all-in year with 3 of the best players in the region back in their starting lineup. Depth will be the key as it was last year. Stainbrook, Cosley, and Johnson are as good as anyone so it's not a bad team to hitch your wagon to. MPCG is going to be better than people think with Koenig coming in and could be the 4th team in R2 if they can put it all together. HCV and Thompson will be right there as well. Grafton will be there at the end of the year because of how they always defend, but the seniors off last years team were big losses.
Last edited by BasketballMind on Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Postby The Schwab » Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:03 pm

Anyone who wants to participate:

You get to name 10 teams. Lets see who gets the most state tournament participants out of their list.

I'll start.

Enderlin, FWM, Shiloh, Rugby, Dickinson Trinity, Powers Lake, Ellendale, Linton HMB, Beulah, North Border
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Next

Return to Boys