Summer Basketball

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Summer Basketball

Postby maddog1971 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:20 am

How are the teams looking..... I know Enderlin pulled out of local tournaments... I dont' know why... BUT 4 Winds is looking really good with them looking as the way to early favorite to be the top team in the state next year.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Re: Summer Basketball

Postby packers21 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:42 pm

Enderlin is absolutely hands down the way to early favorite to win state and it’s not even debatable. Kindred - 4 Winds, North Border, Beulah follow probably that order.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flip » Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:57 am

I saw the schedule for the Grand Forks League. HCV has two teams for the 9th and 10th grade division and three teams for the varsity division. That is a lot of kids.

Lots of region 2 teams participating.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Sportsrube » Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:01 pm

Flip wrote:I saw the schedule for the Grand Forks League. HCV has two teams for the 9th and 10th grade division and three teams for the varsity division. That is a lot of kids.

Lots of region 2 teams participating.

That is a lot of teams for a Class B school, but I wonder how many kids are on each team. They may have only 7-8 kids on a team, that way they guarantee lots of minutes for each kid. Coach Rotvold runs a heck of a program and that may be how they develop a lot of kids. Teams that have 12 kids on a roster - those bottom 3-4 kids normally don't play much. Just a thought.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flip » Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:07 pm

Sportsrube wrote:That is a lot of teams for a Class B school, but I wonder how many kids are on each team. They may have only 7-8 kids on a team, that way they guarantee lots of minutes for each kid. Coach Rotvold runs a heck of a program and that may be how they develop a lot of kids. Teams that have 12 kids on a roster - those bottom 3-4 kids normally don't play much. Just a thought.

I'm sure if teams are short they borrow players for their other squads or the varsity teams could always take a player from the younger teams, but still has to be at least 30+ kids playing IMO. That is a lot of kids to convince to put in time into the offseason.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby GOPACKGO!!! » Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:57 pm

packers21 wrote:Enderlin is absolutely hands down the way to early favorite to win state and it’s not even debatable. Kindred - 4 Winds, North Border, Beulah follow probably that order.

:lol: I'll cheer them on silently in the corner because of their school size, but I don't see it happening, they won't even get out of Region 1. NEXT!
GOPACKGO!!!
NDPreps Starter

Postby Sportsrube » Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:32 pm

Flip wrote:
Sportsrube wrote:That is a lot of teams for a Class B school, but I wonder how many kids are on each team. They may have only 7-8 kids on a team, that way they guarantee lots of minutes for each kid. Coach Rotvold runs a heck of a program and that may be how they develop a lot of kids. Teams that have 12 kids on a roster - those bottom 3-4 kids normally don't play much. Just a thought.

I'm sure if teams are short they borrow players for their other squads or the varsity teams could always take a player from the younger teams, but still has to be at least 30+ kids playing IMO. That is a lot of kids to convince to put in time into the offseason.

Agreed, that is a lot of kids to get to commit in the summer - Kudos to Coach Rotvold and his staff.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby maddog1971 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:43 pm

GOPACKGO!!! wrote:
packers21 wrote:Enderlin is absolutely hands down the way to early favorite to win state and it’s not even debatable. Kindred - 4 Winds, North Border, Beulah follow probably that order.

:lol: I'll cheer them on silently in the corner because of their school size, but I don't see it happening, they won't even get out of Region 1. NEXT!

The same thing has been said for the last 4 years about Enderlin. They have two of the best players in state if not more. If they just figure out nobody can stop that team from 5 feet in.
How about Shiloh or Dickinson. Did they reload with some new players?
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby maddog1971 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:46 pm

Grafton lost most of the top players correct?
Powers Lake for sure lost all but one of the top players with Enget coming back.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flip » Tue Jul 12, 2022 3:29 pm

I'm curious what do the top programs do in the summer?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby WalkingStick » Tue Jul 12, 2022 4:38 pm

Team Camps or Summer Leagues, Breakdown Events (Minnesota - ND teams allowed to attend).
One Stop Shop for All North Dakota Scores
https://www.northdakotaprepscoreboards.com/

"Control what you can control...Can't fix ignorant people"
WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flip » Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:34 pm

WalkingStick wrote:Team Camps or Summer Leagues, Breakdown Events (Minnesota - ND teams allowed to attend).

Well I thought that was obvious. Any examples? Like Team XYZ did...what exactly this summer?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby WalkingStick » Wed Jul 13, 2022 1:35 am

Flip wrote:
WalkingStick wrote:Team Camps or Summer Leagues, Breakdown Events (Minnesota - ND teams allowed to attend).

Well I thought that was obvious. Any examples? Like Team XYZ did...what exactly this summer?

Ah…

Kindred attended the Concordia team camp and won their division (defeated Melrose, MN in title)
Oak Grove was in a different division and lost to Barnesville, MN in their title
Central Cass was 3rd in their division...they lost a very competitive game to Hawley in the opening of their pool play.

Other R1 teams were there too

I had heard Enderlin was at one in Mayville a few weeks ago.

Sargent County just did well at Carrington’s team camp beating W-W, Hazen & Velva soundly.

FW-M played in a breakdown event in the Cities in June - not sure how they did though
Oak Grove attended one yesterday in Pelican Rapids (pool was DGF, Pelican & Detroit Lakes)

Several girls teams were just down at Northern State…Concordia & MSUM have hosted as well.

I don’t know a lot about the west B teams
Last edited by WalkingStick on Wed Jul 13, 2022 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flip » Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:44 am

What leagues are available in the region 1 area? Pretty sure the Courts Plus league doesn't exist anymore.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby maddog1971 » Wed Jul 13, 2022 1:16 pm

I personally feel it is more important for this kids to get into the weight room and strength and speed programs but playing a few times in the summer does not hurt. I am glad the courts plus league died if it did. That was a football training not basketball training and kids were always getting hurt.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby WalkingStick » Wed Jul 13, 2022 2:13 pm

Flip wrote:What leagues are available in the region 1 area? Pretty sure the Courts Plus league doesn't exist anymore.

Moorhead had done one at one point for the FM area teams but maybe that disbanded now too and it's more team camps

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Return to Boys