Joe Hurlburt College Announcement

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Joe Hurlburt College Announcement

Postby WalkingStick » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:56 am

Just saw online that Enderlin's 6-10 Joe Hurlburt will be making his college decision tonight around 6:00p CT.

OFFERS: Minnesota, Colorado, Ohio State, Wisconsin, Iowa, Iowa State, Nebraska, NDSU, UND, Oregon State and Virginia Tech.
One Stop Shop for All North Dakota Scores
https://www.northdakotaprepscoreboards.com/

"Control what you can control...Can't fix ignorant people"
WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Re: Joe Hurlburt College Announcement

Postby wnrwnrckndnr » Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:03 pm

WalkingStick wrote:Just saw online that Enderlin's 6-10 Joe Hurlburt will be making his college decision tonight around 6:00p CT.

OFFERS: Minnesota, Colorado, Ohio State, Wisconsin, Iowa, Iowa State, Nebraska, NDSU, UND, Oregon State and Virginia Tech.

Officially Colorado
wnrwnrckndnr
NDPreps Reserve

Postby WalkingStick » Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:27 pm

wnrwnrckndnr wrote:
WalkingStick wrote:Just saw online that Enderlin's 6-10 Joe Hurlburt will be making his college decision tonight around 6:00p CT.

Officially Colorado

Same choice made as Austin Dufault
One Stop Shop for All North Dakota Scores
https://www.northdakotaprepscoreboards.com/

"Control what you can control...Can't fix ignorant people"
WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby GOPACKGO!!! » Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:11 am

Wonder if Colorado plays in a no touch league because they are going to have to beat the crap out of Joe for a year before they put him on the court. A 4' guard can box that kid out. Major lack of effort in many games this past season or he was tired from not being subbed for a rest (Colorado isn't going to let you wait at half court). Going to be interesting to see how his colligate career turns out because they don't need a 6'10" guard. :D
GOPACKGO!!!
NDPreps Starter

Postby packers21 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:48 am

GOPACKGO!!! wrote:Wonder if Colorado plays in a no touch league because they are going to have to beat the crap out of Joe for a year before they put him on the court. A 4' guard can box that kid out. Major lack of effort in many games this past season or he was tired from not being subbed for a rest (Colorado isn't going to let you wait at half court). Going to be interesting to see how his colligate career turns out because they don't need a 6'10" guard. :D

You think they are going to play him at the 5?
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby The Schwab » Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:27 am

GOPACKGO!!! wrote:Wonder if Colorado plays in a no touch league because they are going to have to beat the crap out of Joe for a year before they put him on the court. A 4' guard can box that kid out. Major lack of effort in many games this past season or he was tired from not being subbed for a rest (Colorado isn't going to let you wait at half court). Going to be interesting to see how his colligate career turns out because they don't need a 6'10" guard. :D

I am so surprised that Tad Boyle didn't reach out to you to get your opinion on Joe before they signed him!! Huge mistake on his part for not getting your two cents!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby senditin » Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:55 am

Exactly what I saw also and its the truth although some on here get their panties in a wad when someone speaks their mind.
senditin
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby packers21 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:23 pm

senditin wrote:

Exactly what I saw also and its the truth although some on here get their panties in a wad when someone speaks their mind.

Not a single person in the history of this site has someone “got their panties” in a wad more than “senditin”
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby The Schwab » Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:00 pm

senditin wrote:

I would assume that major D-1 coaches know a little bit more about who they are recruiting than the keyboard warriors on this site.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby GOPACKGO!!! » Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:07 am

packers21 wrote:

I can't see him being a Guard and with that being said he still needs to be aggressive as a Power Forward. I think he's a great shooter and very talented. My apologies for seeing a lack of aggression and needing a rest quite often to the other keyboard warriors that took offense, but it's still the truth.
GOPACKGO!!!
NDPreps Starter

Postby packers21 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:27 am

GOPACKGO!!! wrote:
packers21 wrote:

I can't see him being a Guard and with that being said he still needs to be aggressive as a Power Forward. I think he's a great shooter and very talented. My apologies for seeing a lack of aggression and needing a rest quite often to the other keyboard warriors that took offense, but it's still the truth.

The kid had 12 D1 offers and multiple from P5 teams and you dont even know what position he plays but we are supposed to believe your truth.
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:55 am

Just a curious question here.....how does Hulburt compare to Grant Nelson of DL last year? Both same size and both play more outside than inside from what I can tell. Nelson was Mr. BB and played a lot of minutes as a true freshmen at NDSU and seems to have a lot of potential to be an impact player for them in years to come. Did Nelson have a lot of D1 offers and just chose NDSU?
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby packers21 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:51 am

ndlionsfan wrote:Just a curious question here.....how does Hulburt compare to Grant Nelson of DL last year? Both same size and both play more outside than inside from what I can tell. Nelson was Mr. BB and played a lot of minutes as a true freshmen at NDSU and seems to have a lot of potential to be an impact player for them in years to come. Did Nelson have a lot of D1 offers and just chose NDSU?

Interesting question, I do not think that Nelson had anywhere close to the offers Hurlburt has or from the P5 conferences. I do think that if he were to enter the Transfer Portal right now he would have many many more offers from that level.

Comparing the two is hard for me, Nelson is so athletic, has the ability to run and is a great leaper. Hurlburt IMO is a better ball handler, passer and shooter from the outside. I think Nelson was very overlooked and looks like a STUD for NDSU the next few years, I hope the same goes for Hurlburt at Colorado.
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:17 am

packers21 wrote:Comparing the two is hard for me, Nelson is so athletic, has the ability to run and is a great leaper.

That's why I posed the question, too. Nelson was so great last year and it wasn't like he was overlooked as he was Mr. BB. But you heard nothing of D1 offers from P5 schools. Bison lucked out for that, though. To me it doesn't seem like Hurlburt has quite as much talent as Nelson, but yet he's getting offers from all over the place and will be playing at a P5 school.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby maddog1971 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:57 am

Joe will be just fine in College. When you play Class B basketball and you are as big as him... If you play aggressive you will get in foul trouble. 6"1 kids can push and pull and put two arms in his back and no call. If a kid flys into the lane and jumps into him.. Foul on Joe. If he boxes out hard and goes for a board... He will get a foul. Since most of the kids in ND Class B are smaller... it is the way he has learned to play in the State. He will get rest and he will get in the weight room and put on some muscle and weight... He can handle the shoot, rebound and handle the ball. Never really looked as his passing as a strong point but he does do it very well.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby balla45 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:00 pm

I think Joe will find a lot of success in college. Very good rebounder and shot blocker. He is actually long enough to play the 4 and 5 in college. Immobile bigs struggle with his ability to stretch the floor and a lot of the more mobile bigs struggle with him around the rim. He actually has a very polished post game.

Please remember that in college basketball, teams can not guard a player with 3 people at a time in the post or they get torched from deep.

I recommend that people try to get a chance to watch him play with D1MN. It looks much different when all of the players on the team are D1 players.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby defensewinsgames » Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:40 pm

Tad Boyle's record at Colorado - 233–143 (.620)

I think we should maybe defer to his judgement over the judgement of those on this board. I don't understand the inability to be happy/proud for this kid that has been displayed over the last year on this board. Some people have repeatedly ripped him and that program apart like they were professional athletes of your favorite team's rivals....I just don't get it.

I wish him all the best and think he made a good decision. I would be willing to bet that it works out pretty well for Colorado. I don't think that many division one coaches were as off base on the kid as some of you seem to think. Congrats on being one of a very few class b kids to go power 5 in the last 30 years!
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby BasketballMind » Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:46 pm

*Small town North Dakota kid signs with a Power-5 basketball program for the first time in 13 years*

normal people:
Good for him, hope he does well! Can't wait to watch him play!

senditin and GOPACK GO:
ACKCHYUALLY
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flip » Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:47 pm

defensewinsgames wrote:I think we should maybe defer to his judgement over the judgement of those on this board. I don't understand the inability to be happy/proud for this kid that has been displayed over the last year on this board. Some people have repeatedly ripped him and that program apart like they were professional athletes of your favorite team's rivals....I just don't get it.

Prior to this year, I felt the same way. So I made it a point to watch them play a little this year. This is my opinion, but when I watch them play it looks like dunks, 25-foot 3-pointers, and blocking shots into the 5th row of bleachers are more important than winning. I'm sure that rubs more than a few people the wrong way.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby defensewinsgames » Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:13 pm

Flip wrote:Prior to this year, I felt the same way. So I made it a point to watch them play a little this year. This is my opinion, but when I watch them play it looks like dunks, 25-foot 3-pointers, and blocking shots into the 5th row of bleachers are more important than winning. I'm sure that rubs more than a few people the wrong way.

I have heard this repeatedly but even if this is the case, can't we just be happy for the kid? Do we have to actively root against them because you believe he is flashy? Can't we give a 17 year old kid the benefit of the doubt?
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby maddog1971 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:57 pm

I think people talk about how great the Enderlin team is and how unbeatable they are and how much talent that team has. SO yes you get people that trash them when they are human. I think they are a great group of kids that can play. I am among the group that does not understand how they play the game with talent they have. BUT it does not mean that I don't enjoy watching them play and wish them the best of luck....
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby defensewinsgames » Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:03 pm

I don't know...maybe I'm way off but it seems there is a double standard when it comes to Enderlin. I can think of 3 or 4 teams around the state who played the same flashy style, got technicals, and many of the other things I hear justifying the Enderlin hate and I didn't hear the same reaction to those teams. They sure seem to be polarizing - I just hope people keep it in perspective and remember it is a class b team from a town of 900 full of 15 to 18 year old kids. I'm done preaching about it now - congrats to Joe on the commitment.
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby GOPACKGO!!! » Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:34 am

packers21 wrote:
GOPACKGO!!! wrote:
packers21 wrote:

The kid had 12 D1 offers and multiple from P5 teams and you dont even know what position he plays but we are supposed to believe your truth.

Does anyone know what position he plays? You might see him post up a couple times in a half, he brings the ball up and plays the guard position whenever he thinks he needs to take over, he plays a shooting guard or forward position at times. Sometimes you see all 5 players standing on the 3 point line. You can't even tell me what position he plays because he doesn't have a designated position at Enderlin. :lol:
I truly see him playing as a Forward like Micah Potter from Wisconsin. If you haven't seen Potter play your missing out on another 6' 10" player that can hit a three or post up. I agree, best of luck to Joe, and I'm sure he will do well in college.
GOPACKGO!!!
NDPreps Starter

Postby packers21 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:34 am

GOPACKGO!!! wrote:
packers21 wrote:
GOPACKGO!!! wrote:
packers21 wrote:

Does anyone know what position he plays? You might see him post up a couple times in a half, he brings the ball up and plays the guard position whenever he thinks he needs to take over, he plays a shooting guard or forward position at times. Sometimes you see all 5 players standing on the 3 point line. You can't even tell me what position he plays because he doesn't have a designated position at Enderlin. :lol:
I truly see him playing as a Forward like Micah Potter from Wisconsin. If you haven't seen Potter play your missing out on another 6' 10" player that can hit a three or post up. I agree, best of luck to Joe, and I'm sure he will do well in college.

Positionless Basketball :)
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flip » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:34 am

This is insanity. To think of it as a negative because he can play multiple positions.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Next

Return to Boys