2021 State Tournament

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: 2021 State Tournament

Postby stir the pot » Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:45 pm

The Schwab wrote:
lennylive wrote:Does anyone know if the afternoon games are streaming at all?

Would love to watch them.

inforum.com. Pay a 4 dollar fee for 4 month subscription

Almost looks like the NDHSAA and Media are Exploiting our children.

$20 to get into one game for the NDHSAA.
The Media charging subscription dues for watch games , it maybe only a few bucks but really. What happened to good old advertising. I know then I will be paying when I but from those advertisers.
Some one is making money off minors!!
stir the pot
NDPreps Reserve

Postby GOPACKGO!!! » Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:36 pm

Sportsrube wrote:
RedDirtFan wrote:What is the color commentator going on about saying, "you could see that situation two different ways..." The Trinity kid slid through the legs of the Kindred kid and undercut him. That is inarguably a foul.

Agreed,I also thought Trinity was the benefactor of a number of questionable calls.

At one point in the 4th the foul count was 17-6. If they would of called the game square Kindred would of won by 12-15pts but obviously NDHSAA thought differently about that. Worst officiated game of the day!
GOPACKGO!!!
NDPreps Starter

Postby The Schwab » Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:55 pm

GOPACKGO!!! wrote:
Sportsrube wrote:
RedDirtFan wrote:What is the color commentator going on about saying, "you could see that situation two different ways..." The Trinity kid slid through the legs of the Kindred kid and undercut him. That is inarguably a foul.

Agreed,I also thought Trinity was the benefactor of a number of questionable calls.

At one point in the 4th the foul count was 17-6. If they would of called the game square Kindred would of won by 12-15pts but obviously NDHSAA thought differently about that. Worst officiated game of the day!

In basketball games each team fouls the same amount?
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby GOPACKGO!!! » Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:04 pm

Snoose84 wrote:Told you powers lake was bad. Have no business in this tournament, only because they play in such a sorry region!

Gave Rugby all they could handle. If any team can go home it’s Rugby and I couldn’t be happier they lost their first game and went into the loser bracket. I don’t consider Rugby to be physical, they just play dirty and when they met their match you got to see the attitudes come out. I would of loved to of seen Powers Lake send them to the last place game.
GOPACKGO!!!
NDPreps Starter

Postby GOPACKGO!!! » Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:07 pm

The Schwab wrote:
GOPACKGO!!! wrote:
Sportsrube wrote:

:lol: You can try and spin it however you want, I’m speaking of a specific game.
GOPACKGO!!!
NDPreps Starter

Postby d_fense » Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:13 pm

GOPACKGO!!! wrote:
Sportsrube wrote:

I thought if the game would have been better officiated, at one point in the fourth quarter the foul total would have been 22-7. Kindred boys couldn’t stay in front of the guards without contact that was often not called as they were doing it so often.

Tonight’s last game will get ugly. Kindred defense will hold up ok, but I think their guards will struggle handling the ball.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby The Schwab » Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:15 pm

GOPACKGO!!! wrote:
The Schwab wrote:
GOPACKGO!!! wrote:
Sportsrube wrote:

:lol: You can try and spin it however you want, I’m speaking of a specific game.

If you want to go play by play throughout the game, I will bet there were missed calls or poor foul calls that impacted each team.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Sportsrube » Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:20 pm

RedDirtFan wrote:
Sportsrube wrote:4 for 4 today! Tomorrow I will take:

Rugby over Powers Lake by double digits.
Dickinson Trinity over Shiloh by double digits. (In the game most Class B fans would like to see both teams lose!)
Grafton over EKM by single digits.
Four Winds over Kindred by double digits.

Final thought on today's games - I thought Trinity got the benefit of a lot of questionable calls tonight, the games were a little more physical than I thought they would be, Bronson Walters is an absolute load in the paint (glad I don't have to figure out how to keep him out of the paint) and I am wondering why some teams shook hands after the game and others didn't.

I hereby give up on trying to understand block/charge. I feel bad for the kid who fouled out.

You and me both with the block/charge call.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby BelfieldBantams » Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:33 pm

Sportsrube wrote:
RedDirtFan wrote:
Sportsrube wrote:4 for 4 today! Tomorrow I will take:

Rugby over Powers Lake by double digits.
Dickinson Trinity over Shiloh by double digits. (In the game most Class B fans would like to see both teams lose!)
Grafton over EKM by single digits.
Four Winds over Kindred by double digits.

Final thought on today's games - I thought Trinity got the benefit of a lot of questionable calls tonight, the games were a little more physical than I thought they would be, Bronson Walters is an absolute load in the paint (glad I don't have to figure out how to keep him out of the paint) and I am wondering why some teams shook hands after the game and others didn't.

I hereby give up on trying to understand block/charge. I feel bad for the kid who fouled out.

You and me both with the block/charge call.

I thought the most frustrating thing was it was called one way by one official at one time and then later maybe by the same official but maybe not, it was called differently. All the teams, coaches, and fans can ask for is that it is officiated consistently. The block/charge call sure didn't seem consistent during that game.
BelfieldBantams
NDPreps Starter

Postby BelfieldBantams » Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:31 pm

I also predict 8 dunks tonight.
BelfieldBantams
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:26 pm

Refs lost control of that games.
Shot clock operator forgot to reset the shot clock after a Grafton FG in the last minute. Did anyone question why there was 23 on the shot clock, EKM never crossed the half-line, and no 10-second violation? I would post a picture, but I think something is wrong with the forum and I can't post pictures anymore.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Sportsrube » Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:52 pm

Got my 1st pick wrong, but glad to see EKM beat Grafton and move on to the championship game.
Anyone else miss Fred Fridley? I am not impressed with Dosch.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby lennylive » Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:25 pm

Im 6 for 6...

Tomorrow
4Winds wins by 14

Kindred wins by 10 for the schools 1st Class B Crown !
lennylive
NDPreps Starter

Postby GOPACKGO!!! » Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:53 pm

lennylive wrote:Im 6 for 6...

Tomorrow
4Winds wins by 14

Kindred wins by 10 for the schools 1st Class B Crown !

Nice work Lenny! Should be a great Championship game tomorrow.

And people disagreed when we said Kindred should have been ranked higher. :lol:
GOPACKGO!!!
NDPreps Starter

Postby leroybla » Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:03 pm

leroybla wrote:
muley14 wrote:Game 1: Looking forward to this game, Powers Lake came out slow and Grafton shot the lights out in the first half. There was no recovering. Expect PL to play better today. Should be a good game.
Game2: Trinity plays tough, expect them to win easily. 8+.
Game3: I like EKM, Grafton's shooting comes back to earth and I like EKM inside.
Game4: FWM's pressure will be too much for Kindred, I'm hoping for a close game but think FWM wins by the biggest margin of the day.
I think the FWM-Kindred game will be much different. Beyond Walter FWM doesn't have much experienced size. And Walter is not a "greyhound", and cannot go for 4 quarters. Keller's size and reach will make Walter less effective with help from Peraza. Much will depend on Kindred's guards to make a difference.
I wasn't far off on this game. Pearson was the difference.
leroybla
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby muley14 » Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:36 am

I thought the pressure would really get to Kindred. They stumbled their way through the press a lot and didn't get burned by it. They still had turnovers but they didn't allow FWM to easily convert them. Kindred's length caused problems in the half court and they out worked them.

I thought Kindred was the 2nd best team going in to the tournament so I guess I'm picking them to win now.
muley14
NDPreps Starter

Postby lennylive » Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:44 am

lennylive wrote:
maddog1971 wrote:Let's break it down....

Grafton and Powers Lake.
I think Grafton has to much talent in their guards but PL will push them hard the whole game.

EKM and Rugby....
I know EKM is physical and can play but I don't think the state officials will let them play like they do in Region 3. If they let them play.... EKM if it is called tight... Rugby

Four Winds and Bismarck...
I take Four winds by 15

DT and Kindred....
Both great defensive teams... maybe the top 5 for both. It will be tight and a game in the 40's. I will take Kindred by 7. Kindred is really tall and very athletic and by the way they are all healthy right now which basically has not happened all year except for a handful of games.

I say Grafton in game 1
EKM in game 2
4 Winds in game 3
Kindred in Game 4
I was hoping Kindred would've been opposite Bracket of 4 Winds...but that's fine...if they play like they have in the past few games...They will beat 4 Winds by 8... They have the strength, the coach, offensive skills, defensive perseverance, the shooting... and a bench. IMO 4WM and Kindred are the Best teams going in.

round 2
EKM over Grafton
Kindred surprises 4WM
Final night
4WM over Grafton
Kindred beats EKM for Title

""They will beat 4 Winds by 8... They have the strength, the coach, offensive skills, defensive perseverance, the shooting... and a bench. IMO 4WM and Kindred are the Best teams going in.""..well I got 1 number right...lol..plus 10

Being able to watch all these teams all year via streaming services I was able to come to these predictions.
To me the teams going into the championship came from the toughest regions. I am an Enderlin Eagles fan through and through, however if they would have beat OG I am not sure they could have beat this Kindred team. When Enderlin beat Kindred by 2, Vikings did not have Keller...he plays a Huge role in this team. They are so dang athletic and keep their head in the game. Never lose composure and have a deep bench so foul trouble will never play a part. Every player knows his place and his role. Coach Woehl is by far 1 of the Best Coaches there is.. he is also fortunate to have such talent. He stays engaged with his players and is not afraid to discipline them. They execute their offense well and are very intense on Defense. Enderlin and Kindred will no doubt be on top next year in the Region and the State. Eagles lose 2 of their top 6, Kindred lose 4 of their top 8.

EKM will give Kindred a good fight tonight, but I think that they will run out of gas as they do not have the bench or as much athleticism. Foul shooting was subpar for both teams last night not sure it will come to that in the end...but we will see.. I will stick with my prediction...Vikings by 10 +

Good Luck tonight to Kindred Vikings... hope ya Bring home your 1st Championship !

BTW ..Coach Woehl should get coach of the year
Jessie White hands down the best Basketball Player in the state..if he doesnt get Mr. Basketball then people had blinders on.
lennylive
NDPreps Starter

Postby RedDirtFan » Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:06 am

On the semifinals: I figured Grafton would have to play through a stalling offense at some point in this tournament. It just happened to come at the wrong time and EKM seized the opportunity. As for Kindred, what a performance. They are a matchup nightmare for FWM and it showed.
RedDirtFan
NDPreps Starter

Postby UNDSiouxfan » Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:47 am

Quick thoughts:

Bismarck over PL by 1-2, Dickinson over Rugby by 1-2, FWM by 15 over Grafton, Kindred by 12 over EKM.

Personally, am glad the Privates are playing afternoon games. Even on down years, they have a shot at this tourney every year.

Love the true Class B storyline of EKM with their coach tending to his cattle, and the story last night of the guy from Kulm on their last run to the title. It tugs at the heart strings a bit.

Kindred played their best game of the year last night, even with their TO’s. The Pearson kid shot them to the title, but it was a true team effort. I do think FWM got away from Bronson a bit & it really hurt them. They are a completely different team when he’s not in the lineup. But, credit goes to Kindred cause their role players, such as McKinney, bodied Bronson up and really affected him in the 4th quarter.

I truly enjoy some of the sportsmanship I’ve seen, especially from FWM/Kindred last night. You can tell Smith runs a tight ship and I commend him and his players. I predict a big game from FWM tonight... they’re going to go out in style with a proud win.

I appreciate seeing kids shaking hands after a tough game & hope it’s a sign of what to look for next season for all teams.

Lenny knows his stuff.
UNDSiouxfan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Sportsrube » Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:00 pm

So far I am 6-2 with my picks, but am on a 2 game losing streak picking both semifinals wrong. Here are my picks for today:

Powers Lake over Shiloh by single digits.
Trinity over Rugby by double digits.
FWM over Grafton by double digits.
Kindred over EKM by single digits.

So far it has been a great tournament and I expect today to be no different. Consolation round games can be a ton of fun when Seniors know they are playing their last game (and no one wants to go 0-3 at State) so looking forward to some great performances this afternoon.
I think the biggest factor in the title game could be which team handles its nerves better in the 1st quarter
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby heimer » Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:18 pm

Snoose84 wrote:Told you powers lake was bad. Have no business in this tournament, only because they play in such a sorry region!

Powers Lake absolutely belongs in this tournament.

Teams that belong in this tournament:

Powers Lake
EKM

Teams that belong in a different tournament:

Kindred
Grafton
Four Winds
Shiloh
Rugby
Trinity
God is bigger than football.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Postby wnrwnrckndnr » Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:54 pm

heimer wrote:

Powers Lake absolutely belongs in this tournament.

Teams that belong in this tournament:

Powers Lake
EKM

Teams that belong in a different tournament:

Kindred
Grafton
Four Winds
Shiloh
Rugby
Trinity

I keep going back to the thought of if Enderlin could have only pulled it off and gotten where Kindred has... a Enderlin and EKM championship would be exactly what class B basketball is all about.
wnrwnrckndnr
NDPreps Reserve

Postby BelfieldBantams » Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:12 pm

Whether anybody agrees with the rules or not, all 8 teams deserve to be there. They all saw the rules, adversity, and obstacles to overcome and did it so they absolutely deserve to be there. Do we even have the top 2 teams left? Who knows but they are there so let’s enjoy it.
BelfieldBantams
NDPreps Starter

Postby Snoose84 » Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:51 pm

I seen a late comment on jesse white! I watched region 8 tournament on BEK. Had the opportunity to watch jesse white and what a letdown. Shot all the time in about 15-20 % from the field, made bad passes, had the ball stolen on a couple occasions and plays completely out of control! Best guard in the state simeone says, absolute baloney!!!! Did you watch the class a state tournament, if you did then you seen some very good guards!
Snoose84
NDPreps Reserve

Postby theman » Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:57 pm

Snoose84 wrote:I seen a late comment on jesse white! I watched region 8 tournament on BEK. Had the opportunity to watch jesse white and what a letdown. Shot all the time in about 15-20 % from the field, made bad passes, had the ball stolen on a couple occasions and plays completely out of control! Best guard in the state simeone says, absolute baloney!!!! Did you watch the class a state tournament, if you did then you seen some very good guards!

Ok I'll bite. The Class A guards have other players on their team that need to be guarded. Outside of Jase Dickens, nobody on White Shield's team was a scoring threat most of the time. Jesse was always being doubled or triple guarded, and teams in the Region tourney were putting their best defense players on him constantly. As someone who has watched a lot of White Shield basketball over the last 3-4 years, I can say that the Region Championship Game against Powers Lake (excluding the last 2-3 minutes when the game was over) was the most mature game I've ever seen from him. He took smart shots, drove to the basket, and included his teammates who were open because he would draw in the ENTIRE defense. I will admit that he was having a tough time making some of his shots in the Region Tournament, but giving Mr. Basketball to someone other than Jesse White would be a grave injustice and evidence that no one from a true Class B school ever has a chance to win this award these days.

No Jesse White- I bet White Shield has a losing or 50-50 record this season and barely makes it to the region tournament, out in the first round.

With Jesse White- White Shield plays Powers Lake close through 3 quarters in the Region Championship. There is no player in the state who made more of a difference to their team this year. This is indisputable.
[url]northdakotarunner.blogspot.com[/url]
theman
NDPreps All-Conference

PreviousNext

Return to Boys