2021 State Tournament

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: 2021 State Tournament

Postby d_fense » Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:14 pm

I see today going
Grafton, EK, Four Winds, and Kindred. I would not be surprised if games 1,2, and 4 were fairly close or if they were all blow outs. I do not think game 3 will be close.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby BasketballMind » Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:38 pm

Rugby vs. Edgeley/Kulm/Montpelier

Rugby’s Resume (18-7)

Notable wins:
Beulah by 6
Bottineau by 13

Notable losses:
Langdon by 4
Shiloh by 17
Velva by 15
Four Winds by 11
Dunseith by 11
Bottineau by 3

A few double-digit losses to teams in this tournament, but a nice win over Beulah and a revenge win over Bottineau to get to state.

Edgeley/Kulm/Montpelier (22-2)

Notable wins:
Kindred by 5
Ellendale by 4
Linton/HMB by 7, 18

Losses:
Lamoure/Litchville/Marion by 3
Ellendale by 4

Plenty of size on this team to create match-up problems and give them chance to play on Saturday night for the championship. They had a close semi-final game in Regionals with Oakes (69-68) but won their other two games by double digits. 12 over Kidder County and 18 over Linton in the championship.
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Postby winner-within » Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:44 pm

I had watched Powers lake vs White Shield and didn't think they were near the talent of some of the Region 2 teams
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby BasketballMind » Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:51 pm

Four Winds/Minnewaukan vs. Shiloh Christian

Four Winds Resume: (23-1)

Notable wins:
Beulah by 4
Enderlin by 14
HCV by 25
Oak Grove by 5
Langdon by 25, 18
Powers Lake by 5
Rugby by 11
Dunseith by 27
Rolette by 101

Loss:
Dickinson Trinity by 5

Their sole loss came on December 29th at Dickinson Trinity. Didn’t see the game or know much about how it went, but I think they’re a much different team right now. 21 straight wins and a pretty big favorite to win the whole thing.

Shiloh Christian Resume: (15-9)

Notable wins:
Beaulah by 2
Powers Lake by 14
Rugby by 17

Notable Losses:
Dickinson Trinity by 23
Langdon by 15
Kindred by 24
Enderlin by 8
HCV by 9
FWM by 16

I have a hard time thinking they keep this game within 20 points. They did play FWM earlier in the year to 16 points, so they have already done it once. I think Four Winds is playing too well right now for this to be competitive. Shiloh lost 4 of 5 following their big win over Rugby.
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Postby BasketballMind » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:10 pm

Kindred vs. Dickinson Trinity

Kindred Resume: (18-4)

Notable wins:
HCV by 21
Shiloh Christian by 24
Central Cass by 8, 16
Thompson by 20
Oak Grove by 3, 14

Notable losses:
Edgely/Kulm/Montpelier by 5
Grafton by 11
Oakes by 6
Enderlin by 2

Kindred battled injuries for a good chunk of the year, so their season may have gone a lot differently had they been healthy all year. They have the size and athletic ability to hang with anyone at this tournament. They may have the worst draw of anyone here with the possibility of playing Trinity, Four Winds, and Grafton in a row to be able to win it all.

Dickinson Trinity Resume (21-3)

Notable wins:
Shiloh Christian by 23
Four Winds by 5
Oak Grove by 12
Bowman County by 1, 8
Beulah by 8

Losses:
Mott-Regent by 1
Beulah by 1
Enderlin by 5

Trinity had a strong regular season with good wins against two teams in this tournament, the Region 1 runner-up, and the two best teams in their Region. This is the game everyone should have their eyes on tonight. Could go either way and as I stated for Kindred, this is a tough draw for whichever team comes out on top. If you win, you get to play Four Winds before a potential match-up with Grafton.
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Postby Snoose84 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:24 pm

Told you powers lake was bad. Have no business in this tournament, only because they play in such a sorry region!
Snoose84
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Sportsrube » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:41 pm

Grafton absolutely dominated that 1st game. Hopefully the next 3 are better games.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby BasketballMind » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:42 pm

Snoose84 wrote:Told you powers lake was bad. Have no business in this tournament, only because they play in such a sorry region!

I'm very curious to how they played Four Winds to a 5 point game. Anyone have any insight on that game?
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Postby Sniper » Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:04 pm

BasketballMind wrote:
BelfieldBantams wrote:
maddog1971 wrote:Snoose84
You maybe right and you maybe way off. I know Shiloh is the worst team in this tournament Even though they did beat Powers Lake.
I am just really excited to watch the whole tournament. I do think that FWM and Shiloh will be the only blow out of the tournament.

I wouldn't go that far with Shiloh. They good team speed and quickness that can get turnovers quickly and have some shooters.

I think there is the potential to have a handful of blowouts BUT I think the TV timeouts will keep those under control. I always find it interesting that these kids play by certain rules throughout the whole season and then certain things change once you get to the playoffs and TV timeouts is one BIG potential equalizer.

Shiloh's "resume" this year

Notable losses

Dickinson Trinity by 23
Langdon by 15
Kindred by 24
Enderlin by 8
HCV by 9
FWM by 16

Lost 4 of 5 going into Districts. Beat Washburn, Standing Rock, and Flasher to get to State.

Notable wins..

Beat Beulah by 2
Beat Powers Lake by 14
Beat Rugby by 17

Lost to 3 teams at the tournament, 1 Region Runner-Up, and 2 Region Semi-Finalists.
Beat 2 teams at the tournament and 1 Region Runner-Up.

Technically lost to two region runner-ups. Lost to Flasher during the regular season. Not sure if you were counting region contests or not but I thought I would add it in.
Sniper
NDPreps All-State

Postby The Schwab » Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:34 pm

Tough game for Powers Lake, but it's tough to say that they didn't belong at the state tournament. Their two losses were to teams in the state tournament and they played the number 1 team in state tight on the road this year. They didn't lose to a team in their region and I have a feeling they will play some better basketball tomorrow. Not many teams would have competed with Grafton in that first game the way they shot the ball and how they always play defense.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby RedDirtFan » Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:26 pm

What is the color commentator going on about saying, "you could see that situation two different ways..." The Trinity kid slid through the legs of the Kindred kid and undercut him. That is inarguably a foul.
RedDirtFan
NDPreps Starter

Postby Sportsrube » Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:32 pm

4 for 4 today! Tomorrow I will take:

Rugby over Powers Lake by double digits.
Dickinson Trinity over Shiloh by double digits. (In the game most Class B fans would like to see both teams lose!)
Grafton over EKM by single digits.
Four Winds over Kindred by double digits.

Final thought on today's games - I thought Trinity got the benefit of a lot of questionable calls tonight, the games were a little more physical than I thought they would be, Bronson Walters is an absolute load in the paint (glad I don't have to figure out how to keep him out of the paint) and I am wondering why some teams shook hands after the game and others didn't.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Sportsrube » Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:34 pm

RedDirtFan wrote:What is the color commentator going on about saying, "you could see that situation two different ways..." The Trinity kid slid through the legs of the Kindred kid and undercut him. That is inarguably a foul.

Agreed,I also thought Trinity was the benefactor of a number of questionable calls.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby RedDirtFan » Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:38 pm

Sportsrube wrote:4 for 4 today! Tomorrow I will take:

Rugby over Powers Lake by double digits.
Dickinson Trinity over Shiloh by double digits. (In the game most Class B fans would like to see both teams lose!)
Grafton over EKM by single digits.
Four Winds over Kindred by double digits.

Final thought on today's games - I thought Trinity got the benefit of a lot of questionable calls tonight, the games were a little more physical than I thought they would be, Bronson Walters is an absolute load in the paint (glad I don't have to figure out how to keep him out of the paint) and I am wondering why some teams shook hands after the game and others didn't.

I hereby give up on trying to understand block/charge. I feel bad for the kid who fouled out.
RedDirtFan
NDPreps Starter

Postby lennylive » Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:40 pm

I'm 4 for 4
Great win Kindred....go Region 1!!
lennylive
NDPreps Starter

Postby B-oldtimer » Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:43 pm

I am glad everyone is excited about the tournament but this sure doesn't feel like a class b tournament it has feel of class A tournament. The teams are evenly matched except for Powers Lake in my opinion only true class b school in the tournament. Region 8 is only region that in my opinion is made up class b schools across the board. I look at Grafton, Kindred, and Four Winds these are large schools and you can see it they are deep and talented loosing a starter hurts but not like it does for small class b school when level talent drops off. The next group the parochial schools enough said about them and then we have EKM and Rugby here we have interesting part of now class b basketball now where we would put them. EKM this is class b coop developed to keep their numbers up and also to compete with other larger schools in their region product of current system to be competitive now in class b. Second is Rugby one larger class b schools being one of larger towns in their region and was former class A back in 70 and 80's what i now call not quite large enough to be with others but definitely bigger than alot of small class b schools . Now this is class b tournament with exception of Powers Lake even one of the smaller class b schools and we see how that went today with them playing against largest Grafton. Now tell me where is the excitement in watching this tournament from casual fan is or the drama of upset when we have completed the first round and we have 3 largest schools winning to get to tournament semifinals we are guaranteed that one of top 3 are going to be in the state final. I would guess based on what i watched today i would think its going to be top two largest schools at the championship game and if not i am guessing then it will be one and three. If this is case we are seeing repeat of girls state tournament where the largest schools are dominating smaller schools pretty much across the board in pretty much every region but region 8 and that is region made up mostly small schools. If this keeps up your not going to see competitive games until the regional finals and blow out games are going to mount across class b . Its already happening look at the regional scores across the state how many games were not even close what's incentive to even try to compete in the future for small class b schools. More coops may look like it will help but small schools cooping how many kids will participate if any and participation numbers continue to drop. Everyone celebrate how good things are but believe me the fan interest is down at least around here hardly hear anyone mention the games.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby BasketballMind » Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:52 am

RedDirtFan wrote:What is the color commentator going on about saying, "you could see that situation two different ways..." The Trinity kid slid through the legs of the Kindred kid and undercut him. That is inarguably a foul.

You have to remember we all have the benefit of instant replay and slow motion. They could have considered that to be a loose ball situation and continue play at that point. I think he got it right, but the commentator was just saying that could’ve gone either way.
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Postby BasketballMind » Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:56 am

B-oldtimer wrote:I am glad everyone is excited about the tournament but this sure doesn't feel like a class b tournament it has feel of class A tournament. The teams are evenly matched except for Powers Lake in my opinion only true class b school in the tournament. Region 8 is only region that in my opinion is made up class b schools across the board. I look at Grafton, Kindred, and Four Winds these are large schools and you can see it they are deep and talented loosing a starter hurts but not like it does for small class b school when level talent drops off. The next group the parochial schools enough said about them and then we have EKM and Rugby here we have interesting part of now class b basketball now where we would put them. EKM this is class b coop developed to keep their numbers up and also to compete with other larger schools in their region product of current system to be competitive now in class b. Second is Rugby one larger class b schools being one of larger towns in their region and was former class A back in 70 and 80's what i now call not quite large enough to be with others but definitely bigger than alot of small class b schools . Now this is class b tournament with exception of Powers Lake even one of the smaller class b schools and we see how that went today with them playing against largest Grafton. Now tell me where is the excitement in watching this tournament from casual fan is or the drama of upset when we have completed the first round and we have 3 largest schools winning to get to tournament semifinals we are guaranteed that one of top 3 are going to be in the state final. I would guess based on what i watched today i would think its going to be top two largest schools at the championship game and if not i am guessing then it will be one and three. If this is case we are seeing repeat of girls state tournament where the largest schools are dominating smaller schools pretty much across the board in pretty much every region but region 8 and that is region made up mostly small schools. If this keeps up your not going to see competitive games until the regional finals and blow out games are going to mount across class b . Its already happening look at the regional scores across the state how many games were not even close what's incentive to even try to compete in the future for small class b schools. More coops may look like it will help but small schools cooping how many kids will participate if any and participation numbers continue to drop. Everyone celebrate how good things are but believe me the fan interest is down at least around here hardly hear anyone mention the games.

Just what this site needed. Another topic getting derailed for another case for a 3-class system.
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Postby muley14 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:58 am

Old-timer- enjoy the games or don't, that's up to you. There are a 100 other threads you can whine in about adding class c basketball, use one of them.

Edit: Looks like someone beat me too it.
muley14
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndlionsfan » Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:06 am

Today I've got Powers Lake bouncing back and beating Rugby, Trinity over Shiloh. I didn't see the EKM game yesterday, but I'm rooting for them to take out Grafton. I think the FWM and Kindred game will be a good one. Kindred will be a tough out for FWM with their defense. If Kindred controls the pace and keeps it a halfcourt game, I think they pull out the win. If FWM is able to speed things up with their press and getting some easy steals/buckets, I think they win.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:38 am

Thoughts on yesterday:

Game 1: I did not see the blowout happening, didn't surprise me that Grafton won, but I thought Powers Lake would compete a little bit more, hopefully they put a good showing on today.
Game 2: EKM shot the lights out in the first half, I figured Rugby would come back. EKM was able to hold them off in the end. Very solid squad.
Game 3: Bismarck Shiloh hung around closer than I thought they would. FWM has to be the heavy favorite going into the final two nights.
Game 4: Very physical game, I guess I didn't see Dickinson Trinity as benefiting from a lot of questionable calls. Kindred looks like a college team with their physical makeup.

Thoughts on today:
Game 1: I think that Rugby will beat Powers Lake by 8, hopefully its a competitive game.
Game 2: I think Dickinson Trinity will beat Bismarck Shiloh by 12.
Game 3: I am very excited for this game, I think you will have 80% of the state routing for EKM. They have the makeup of a champion. If Grafton shoots close to what they did yesterday it will be tough for EKM to hang. I think EKM has to slow it down and get the ball in the post and limit possessions. I'll take Grafton by 4.
Game 4: This is another game I'm excited to see. I think the media timeouts have hurt FWM in the past, having a minimum of 2 timeouts a quarter really takes away from their "wear you down" game. I think that Kindred has the size to give FWM some problems inside, but I don't think their guard play is going to be able to handle FWM's pressure. I like FWM by 14.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby muley14 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:00 am

Game 1: Looking forward to this game, Powers Lake came out slow and Grafton shot the lights out in the first half. There was no recovering. Expect PL to play better today. Should be a good game.
Game2: Trinity plays tough, expect them to win easily. 8+.
Game3: I like EKM, Grafton's shooting comes back to earth and I like EKM inside.
Game4: FWM's pressure will be too much for Kindred, I'm hoping for a close game but think FWM wins by the biggest margin of the day.
muley14
NDPreps Starter

Postby lennylive » Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:31 am

Does anyone know if the afternoon games are streaming at all?

Would love to watch them.
lennylive
NDPreps Starter

Postby The Schwab » Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:02 pm

lennylive wrote:Does anyone know if the afternoon games are streaming at all?

Would love to watch them.

inforum.com. Pay a 4 dollar fee for 4 month subscription
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby leroybla » Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:16 pm

muley14 wrote:Game 1: Looking forward to this game, Powers Lake came out slow and Grafton shot the lights out in the first half. There was no recovering. Expect PL to play better today. Should be a good game.
Game2: Trinity plays tough, expect them to win easily. 8+.
Game3: I like EKM, Grafton's shooting comes back to earth and I like EKM inside.
Game4: FWM's pressure will be too much for Kindred, I'm hoping for a close game but think FWM wins by the biggest margin of the day.
I think the FWM-Kindred game will be much different. Beyond Walter FWM doesn't have much experienced size. And Walter is not a "greyhound", and cannot go for 4 quarters. Keller's size and reach will make Walter less effective with help from Peraza. Much will depend on Kindred's guards to make a difference.
leroybla
NDPreps All-Conference

PreviousNext

Return to Boys