2021 State Tournament

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

2021 State Tournament

Postby maddog1971 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:21 pm

Let's break it down....

Grafton and Powers Lake.
I think Grafton has to much talent in their guards but PL will push them hard the whole game.

EKM and Rugby....
I know EKM is physical and can play but I don't think the state officials will let them play like they do in Region 3. If they let them play.... EKM if it is called tight... Rugby

Four Winds and Bismarck...
I take Four winds by 15

DT and Kindred....
Both great defensive teams... maybe the top 5 for both. It will be tight and a game in the 40's. I will take Kindred by 7. Kindred is really tall and very athletic and by the way they are all healthy right now which basically has not happened all year except for a handful of games.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Re: 2021 State Tournament

Postby The Schwab » Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:37 pm

I'm going to go with upsets in the first two games as I think Powers Lake and Rugby will win. I think FWM will cruise to a victory in the 3rd game and I think Dickinson Trinity will win by 6 in the last game. I wouldn't be surprised if 3 of my 4 picks are wrong. I do not see Four Winds Minnewaukan getting beat.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby justplayalready » Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:48 pm

Remember, Rugby just played 3 games on that floor, each one getting progressively better...

What would be an honest assessment of this advantage in points??? 10 to 15?? They've already been through the first day airballs, the mis judging of the out of bounds lines, the multiple three point lines and the fans behind the basket waving etc, that you will see from all the teams the first time you are in the dome. They should not be as tight day 1.
justplayalready
NDPreps All-State

Postby lennylive » Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:30 pm

maddog1971 wrote:Let's break it down....

Grafton and Powers Lake.
I think Grafton has to much talent in their guards but PL will push them hard the whole game.

EKM and Rugby....
I know EKM is physical and can play but I don't think the state officials will let them play like they do in Region 3. If they let them play.... EKM if it is called tight... Rugby

I take Four winds by 15

DT and Kindred....
Both great defensive teams... maybe the top 5 for both. It will be tight and a game in the 40's. I will take Kindred by 7. Kindred is really tall and very athletic and by the way they are all healthy right now which basically has not happened all year except for a handful of games.

I say Grafton in game 1
EKM in game 2
4 Winds in game 3
Kindred in Game 4
I was hoping Kindred would've been opposite Bracket of 4 Winds...but that's fine...if they play like they have in the past few games...They will beat 4 Winds by 8... They have the strength, the coach, offensive skills, defensive perseverance, the shooting... and a bench. IMO 4WM and Kindred are the Best teams going in.

round 2
EKM over Grafton
Kindred surprises 4WM
Final night
4WM over Grafton
Kindred beats EKM for Title
lennylive
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:01 pm

justplayalready wrote:Remember, Rugby just played 3 games on that floor, each one getting progressively better...

What would be an honest assessment of this advantage in points??? 10 to 15?? They've already been through the first day airballs, the mis judging of the out of bounds lines, the multiple three point lines and the fans behind the basket waving etc, that you will see from all the teams the first time you are in the dome. They should not be as tight day 1.

Maybe 3 points.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby BelfieldBantams » Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:36 pm

From the stats that mean absolutely nothing department

Kindred is undefeated in their home uniforms but they will only wear their road uniforms at state.

Grafton is undefeated in their road uniforms but will only wear their home whites.

And EKM is undefeated in all regular season games unfortunately this is THE tournament.

I have to dig a little deeper for the other teams.
BelfieldBantams
NDPreps Starter

Postby chief45 » Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:37 am

BelfieldBantams wrote:From the stats that mean absolutely nothing department

And EKM is undefeated in all regular season games unfortunately this is THE tournament.

I understand EKM lost in a regular season tournament, but I guess I personally would still consider that regular season. Regardless, EKM will be a tough out this weekend.
chief45
NDPreps Starter

Postby The Schwab » Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:38 am

I'll add to your list

Dickinson Trinity played 17 home games this season (11 in a row at one point)
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:02 am

The Schwab wrote:I'll add to your list

Wow, how did they manage that?
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:30 am

ndlionsfan wrote:
The Schwab wrote:I'll add to your list

Wow, how did they manage that?

They played extra home games this year due to the fact that the Minot shootout and shiloh shoot out didn't happen. They play a lot of home games most years because they host the roughrider and the regional tournament.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby GOPACKGO!!! » Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:41 pm

lennylive wrote:

Grafton and Powers Lake.

EKM and Rugby....

I take Four winds by 15

DT and Kindred....

I say Grafton in game 1
EKM in game 2
4 Winds in game 3
Kindred in Game 4
I was hoping Kindred would've been opposite Bracket of 4 Winds...but that's fine...if they play like they have in the past few games...They will beat 4 Winds by 8... They have the strength, the coach, offensive skills, defensive perseverance, the shooting... and a bench. IMO 4WM and Kindred are the Best teams going in.

round 2
EKM over Grafton
Kindred surprises 4WM
Final night
4WM over Grafton
Kindred beats EKM for Title

I'm with Lenny on Kindred being in the opposite bracket. Is what it is I guess & to win it you have to beat the best either way. Not sure about EKM, seems like they aren't very consistent. I'll take Grafton off the top to either play Kindred or 4WM in the Ship. Probably be 4WM over Grafton by 15pts to close out the season.
GOPACKGO!!!
NDPreps Starter

Postby d_fense » Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:18 pm

I don’t understand how Gopackgo and Lennylive think Kindred could or should be in the opposite bracket. After visiting with a west side coach i respect, I do think DT is ranked to high, so I can see Kindred being ranked 4th. Kindred has lost 2 of their last 5 games. IMO Kindred wasn’t overly impressive with their play in regionals and they lost to the 2nd and 3rd ranked teams in the state tournament. For the life of me I can’t see how anyone could justify them being anything other than 4 or 5.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flip » Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:33 pm

d_fense wrote:I don’t understand how Gopackgo and Lennylive think Kindred could or should be in the opposite bracket. After visiting with a west side coach i respect, I do think DT is ranked to high, so I can see Kindred being ranked 4th. Kindred has lost 2 of their last 5 games. IMO Kindred wasn’t overly impressive with their play in regionals and they lost to the 2nd and 3rd ranked teams in the state tournament. For the life of me I can’t see how anyone could justify them being anything other than 4 or 5.

It didn't seem to me that they thought the seeds were wrong I just think they wanted to avoid FW. I don't follow the entire state closely, but I think Kindred is the 2nd best team, but I see why they're ranked where they are.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby packers21 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:12 am

Flip wrote:
d_fense wrote:I don’t understand how Gopackgo and Lennylive think Kindred could or should be in the opposite bracket. After visiting with a west side coach i respect, I do think DT is ranked to high, so I can see Kindred being ranked 4th. Kindred has lost 2 of their last 5 games. IMO Kindred wasn’t overly impressive with their play in regionals and they lost to the 2nd and 3rd ranked teams in the state tournament. For the life of me I can’t see how anyone could justify them being anything other than 4 or 5.

It didn't seem to me that they thought the seeds were wrong I just think they wanted to avoid FW. I don't follow the entire state closely, but I think Kindred is the 2nd best team, but I see why they're ranked where they are.

It’s pretty easy to make an argument they could be higher. Teams on the girls side were ranked higher behind teams they had previously beaten, they two losses they had to the Grafton Olson missed some of the game and EKM he missed it all. I said this one here earlier this year but they are very good and very well coached. Not overly impressive in regionals? They won every game by dbl digits.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby hoophoophoop » Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:28 am

Have you watched EKG play, thats why
hoophoophoop
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby maddog1971 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:19 am

I also do agree that I think Kindred received a higher rank than I thought they should but maybe they took into account Kindred was dealing with injuries most of the year. Not at the beginning and not at the end but every place else. The best part is we get to find out in a few days. I can not image that FWM is happy to see DT or Kindred as their second game. Bad draw for them that is for sure.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby justplayalready » Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:31 am

Need to have a decent drawing(casual fan wise) team in that spot...Especially now that game is pushed into a 9 pm Thurs spot.

A game like Shiloh and DT at that spot would have basically zero fans there(Ryan/Shiloh? a few years ago)...they want to avoid that.
justplayalready
NDPreps All-State

Postby RosDog17 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:54 am

Grafton and Powers Lake.

EKM and Rugby....

I take Four winds by 15

DT and Kindred....

PL IS going to WIN game 1.

Rugby will win game 2.

Bismarck will win game 3.

Kindred will win game 4.
RosDog17
NDPreps Reserve

Postby RockNRoll » Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:49 pm

Powers Lake by 12
EKM by 8

FWM by 22
Kindred by 2 toughest game to predict

Powers lake over EKM by 6
FWM over kindred by 14

FWM over powers lake by 10
RockNRoll
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Snoose84 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:29 pm

First and foremost! I watched region 8 thanks to BEK tv and goota say it's the worst region in the state by a long shot so if you picked powers lake to beat grafton first game your way off base!!! In fact powers lake is the worst team in the tournament! Rugby vs ekm and kindred vs trinity will be the best opening round games the other 2 will not!
Snoose84
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Snoose84 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:33 pm

Another thought dickinson trinity has the best coach in the state and if their is a team to beat four winds then trinity is the team, otherwise 4 winds will not lose!
Snoose84
NDPreps Reserve

Postby maddog1971 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:00 am

Snoose84
You maybe right and you maybe way off. I know Shiloh is the worst team in this tournament Even though they did beat Powers Lake.
I am just really excited to watch the whole tournament. I do think that FWM and Shiloh will be the only blow out of the tournament.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby BelfieldBantams » Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:23 pm

maddog1971 wrote:Snoose84
You maybe right and you maybe way off. I know Shiloh is the worst team in this tournament Even though they did beat Powers Lake.
I am just really excited to watch the whole tournament. I do think that FWM and Shiloh will be the only blow out of the tournament.

I wouldn't go that far with Shiloh. They good team speed and quickness that can get turnovers quickly and have some shooters.

I think there is the potential to have a handful of blowouts BUT I think the TV timeouts will keep those under control. I always find it interesting that these kids play by certain rules throughout the whole season and then certain things change once you get to the playoffs and TV timeouts is one BIG potential equalizer.
BelfieldBantams
NDPreps Starter

Postby BasketballMind » Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:04 pm

BelfieldBantams wrote:
maddog1971 wrote:Snoose84

I wouldn't go that far with Shiloh. They good team speed and quickness that can get turnovers quickly and have some shooters.

I think there is the potential to have a handful of blowouts BUT I think the TV timeouts will keep those under control. I always find it interesting that these kids play by certain rules throughout the whole season and then certain things change once you get to the playoffs and TV timeouts is one BIG potential equalizer.

Shiloh's "resume" this year

Notable losses

Dickinson Trinity by 23
Langdon by 15
Kindred by 24
Enderlin by 8
HCV by 9
FWM by 16

Lost 4 of 5 going into Districts. Beat Washburn, Standing Rock, and Flasher to get to State.

Notable wins..

Beat Beulah by 2
Beat Powers Lake by 14
Beat Rugby by 17

Lost to 3 teams at the tournament, 1 Region Runner-Up, and 2 Region Semi-Finalists.
Beat 2 teams at the tournament and 1 Region Runner-Up.
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Postby BasketballMind » Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:52 am

Grafton vs. Powers Lake

Grafton’s Resume: (22-2)

Notable wins:
HCV by 13
Thompson by 20, 14
Central Cass by 2
Kindred by 11
Langdon by 18, 4
North Border by 6

Losses:
North Border by 14
HCV by 1

Avenged both regular season losses in Region tournament after beating H-N in the first round. Defeated HCV by 13 and North Border by 6. Held HCV to 36 points after giving up 63 in the first match-up. Held NB to 40 points after giving up 75 points to them the first time. Their defense is locked in right now.

Powers Lake’s Resume: (22-2-1)

Notable wins:
White Shield by 7, 14

Losses:
Shiloh Christian by 14
Four Winds by 5

They did not get many great opponents outside of their region, but were able to hang with FWM, which shows they are no pushover. Curious how the Shiloh game got away from them, but that is why we play the game. Their loss to Four Winds was the last time they have lost. Won 10 straight coming into the state tournament.

They have the size that matches up to Grafton and it is a very tough game to predict. Should be a great start up game to the state tournament.
Last edited by BasketballMind on Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Next

Return to Boys