Class B's Identity Problem

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Class B's Identity Problem

Postby Mandan » Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:42 pm

yellowjacket wrote:
The Schwab wrote:I'm with you that 3 class is the way to go. I don't watch much class A basketball, but would it be crazy to think that some of the big B's and the privates would compete in class A?

No, most couldn’t compete with the bigger A schools when for example Grafton was class A, thus the creation of the North Star conference for the smaller A schools.

I was wondering if anyone had any idea how big enrollment wise Minot Ryan and Dickinson Trinity were at their peaks when they were both class A?

In the 70s, I believe Trinity had enrollment in the 400 range. Similar to (or larger than) St Mary's now. At that enrollment level, they were getting to state tournaments in Class A (3rd in 1976) and in 1979 Trinity beat Fargo South in the Class A Football championship game. By 1991 enrollment was in the low 200s.

Boys Basketball the last four years of Class A had records of 4-15, 4-15, 8-11, 5-14 with a combined record of 1-8 at the WDA Tournament and also one play-in game win. It was common to go into games against Minot/Bismarck/Century knowing they are going to lose by 20 -30 points. The first Class B boys team was 13-6 and got to the Regional tournament with most of the same players as the last Class A team.
Mandan
NDPreps Starter

Postby The Schwab » Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:46 pm

Mandan wrote:
yellowjacket wrote:
The Schwab wrote:I'm with you that 3 class is the way to go. I don't watch much class A basketball, but would it be crazy to think that some of the big B's and the privates would compete in class A?

No, most couldn’t compete with the bigger A schools when for example Grafton was class A, thus the creation of the North Star conference for the smaller A schools.

I was wondering if anyone had any idea how big enrollment wise Minot Ryan and Dickinson Trinity were at their peaks when they were both class A?

In the 70s, I believe Trinity had enrollment in the 400 range. Similar to (or larger than) St Mary's now. At that enrollment level, they were getting to state tournaments in Class A (3rd in 1976) and in 1979 Trinity beat Fargo South in the Class A Football championship game. By 1991 enrollment was in the low 200s.

Boys Basketball the last four years of Class A had records of 4-15, 4-15, 8-11, 5-14 with a combined record of 1-8 at the WDA Tournament and also one play-in game win. It was common to go into games against Minot/Bismarck/Century knowing they are going to lose by 20 -30 points. The first Class B boys team was 13-6 and got to the Regional tournament with most of the same players as the last Class A team.

No different than teams in Region 7 going into games now knowing they will get beat by Beulah or Dickinson Trinity by 20+.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:02 pm

I bet Watford City was wishing they were only going to lose by 20-30 points.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby leroybla » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:29 pm

WalkingStick wrote:
The Schwab wrote:
maddog1971 wrote:Well I think the problem has been solved. Apparently how close you live to Fargo is if you have talented Basketball players and Teams. SO parents stop playing basketball with your kids in the driveway.... Stop taking them to camps... Just move them to Fargo... Let them live here a few years until the magic Fargo Basketball dust settles on them and then move any place within 50 miles of Fargo and you will have a winning program.

Well everybody on this basketball board wants to talk about is class b is unfair and the only reason my team is not in the state tournament is because someone lives to close to Fargo... Well until next year and hopefully some new blood gets on this board. Off to Baseball.....

My gosh, this is one of the more whiny posts I've read on here in a while. No one is saying that the Kindred kids didn't deserve to win the state tournament or that they don't work hard. You focus a lot on thinking that parents deserve awards, one of the weirdest angles I've seen used on this board.

Whether you want to accept it or not, kids who go to large schools close to a metro area have unique and distinct advantages. You claim that private school kids have all of these advantages and I agree with you, but large B public schools have the same advantages.

Here's a little food for thought for you:

Current population of Kindred ND is roughly 864 (according to google search)
Current population of Hettinger ND is roughly 1065 (according to google search) I used them because their co-op has been brought up as being an advantage.

Kindred has 810 kids enrolled in their school k-12
Hettinger has 261 kids enrolled in their school k-12

Something wrong with this picture?

Kindred has towns nearby as well (Oxbow, Wild Rice, Hickson, Leonard, Horace, Colfax-area...and many farming families in between)...it's more than just Kindred's population
It was my understanding that Kindred's tax base and student population was threatened by the proposed Red River Diversion. Many high end homes and their occupants in the Oxbow neighborhood would have to be relocated. What's the latest on that? Are they all inside of a ring dike now?
leroybla
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby maddog1971 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:55 am

The Schwab wrote:
maddog1971 wrote:Well I think the problem has been solved. Apparently how close you live to Fargo is if you have talented Basketball players and Teams. SO parents stop playing basketball with your kids in the driveway.... Stop taking them to camps... Just move them to Fargo... Let them live here a few years until the magic Fargo Basketball dust settles on them and then move any place within 50 miles of Fargo and you will have a winning program.

Well everybody on this basketball board wants to talk about is class b is unfair and the only reason my team is not in the state tournament is because someone lives to close to Fargo... Well until next year and hopefully some new blood gets on this board. Off to Baseball.....

My gosh, this is one of the more whiny posts I've read on here in a while. No one is saying that the Kindred kids didn't deserve to win the state tournament or that they don't work hard. You focus a lot on thinking that parents deserve awards, one of the weirdest angles I've seen used on this board.

Whether you want to accept it or not, kids who go to large schools close to a metro area have unique and distinct advantages. You claim that private school kids have all of these advantages and I agree with you, but large B public schools have the same advantages.

Current population of Hettinger ND is roughly 1065 (according to google search) I used them because their co-op has been brought up as being an advantage.

As I was dropping off my child this morning at 6 am at the weight room... along with about 8 other parents..... I am starting to see things a little more like the way you are thinking. Yes... Parents are getting up early and taking these kids in and encouraging them but we have people that are part of the school getting up in the morning and training these kids as well..... and not getting paid for it. So I am adjusting my numbers.
25% Population in the School, 25% Coaching and Supportive Staff, 25% Money and 25% Parents....
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby The Schwab » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:06 am

I don't know what the exact break down is, but if we are discussing what a school needs to be successful (I'm talking .700 winning percentage, not necessarily winning titles) at least 75 percent of it is school size and genetics. IMO money goes hand in hand with school size. Basketball isn't about X's and O's it's about the billy's and the joe's.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby packers21 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:18 am

The Schwab wrote:. Basketball isn't about X's and O's it's about the billy's and the joe's.

This quote was even used in the National Championship last night
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby GOPACKGO!!! » Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:35 pm

leroybla wrote:
WalkingStick wrote:
The Schwab wrote:

Kindred has towns nearby as well (Oxbow, Wild Rice, Hickson, Leonard, Horace, Colfax-area...and many farming families in between)...it's more than just Kindred's population
It was my understanding that Kindred's tax base and student population was threatened by the proposed Red River Diversion. Many high end homes and their occupants in the Oxbow neighborhood would have to be relocated. What's the latest on that? Are they all inside of a ring dike now?

Yes, they're in a ring dike now, along with their fully funded multi-million dollar clubhouse and relocated golf course. They were against the diversion so to eliminate the cash flow to the opposition the FM Diversion gave Oxbow a breath of fresh air (or cash). Homes were also purchased at a premium price so people could easily relocate into a new home without any major economic impact to their wallets. Good deal for the tax payers of ND! :D

https://www.golfcourseindustry.com/arti ... d-reopens/
GOPACKGO!!!
NDPreps Starter

Postby maddog1971 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:24 am

GOPACKGO!!! wrote:
leroybla wrote:
WalkingStick wrote:
The Schwab wrote:

Yes, they're in a ring dike now, along with their fully funded multi-million dollar clubhouse and relocated golf course. They were against the diversion so to eliminate the cash flow to the opposition the FM Diversion gave Oxbow a breath of fresh air (or cash). Homes were also purchased at a premium price so people could easily relocate into a new home without any major economic impact to their wallets. Good deal for the tax payers of ND! :D

https://www.golfcourseindustry.com/arti ... d-reopens/

That is called corruption and a political payoff. Yes If I was a Fargo Tax payer I would be MAD......

By the way there is not a good solution for this problem. Most people don't see it as a problem.
I do.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Previous

Return to Boys