coverage of sports

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

coverage of sports

Postby hoophoophoop » Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:25 pm

Coverage around this area for high school sports is a fricking joke!!!!!!!!!! I hope covering the Bison everyday of the year makes you happy, I hope Bison lose every game they play, and I use to be a season ticket holder
hoophoophoop
NDPreps All-Conference

Re: coverage of sports

Postby oldcolt » Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:47 pm

It's not just on the east side of the state. Oh how I miss the box scores for any high school game!
oldcolt
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Vikings2009 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:50 pm

Only a select few teams get any coverage. Even with a bunch of loses in there area. It’s all about location/favorites I guess.
Vikings2009
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Sportsrube » Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:03 pm

I dropped my subscription to the Bismarck Tribune because all they covered was Shiloh and NDSU. The sports on the local Bismarck news are still pretty good so I do watch them as often as I can. In my opinion, there is not a newspaper in the state (daily or weekly) that is worth anywhere near the price of a subscription. (Actual or digital)
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby leroybla » Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:34 pm

In Fargo, you have to play Oak Grove to get any ink.
leroybla
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby UNDSiouxfan » Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:47 pm

Agree 100% with most of the comments. The big city newspapers gave up on the smaller class B towns many years ago. I remember the good old days when every box score was in print the next day, & for many of us it was the first thing we read when we got the newspaper.

There are still small town local newspapers that are worth their salt but that’s about it.
UNDSiouxfan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby vikingman » Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:59 pm

NDHSAA site has a place for each team to enter game stats. I'm not sure anyone does. If it's too much to ask for full stats, it would be nice if the home team could at least put points in for both teams from the official scorebook.
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flip » Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:28 am

vikingman wrote:NDHSAA site has a place for each team to enter game stats. I'm not sure anyone does. If it's too much to ask for full stats, it would be nice if the home team could at least put points in for both teams from the official scorebook.

If it's like entering anything onto the NDHSAA website it is a total pain in the man.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby 3on3 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:48 pm

There would be nothing better than logging into the NDHSAA website to see stats from across the state. Basketball, baseball, football, etc. We have the tech to do it just not sure why it cant be pulled and posted in a timely matter from coaches or statisticians?
3on3
NDPreps Reserve

Postby vikingman » Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:29 pm

I would think it would be quite simple to come up with an Excel spreadsheet template that all schools would use. Fill it in and upload it either as a PDF or XLS document and your done.

I remember filling in the version on NDHSAA about 10 or 15 years ago. It was tedious.

But some coaches probably don't want that information to be out there.

Some schools put it on MaxPreps, but unless there's a single site were ALL schools post, it's too much of a hassle looking around to find where a particular school might be uploading their stats.
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flip » Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:53 pm

If you taught incoming Mayville State freshmen a week of HTML and asked them to put together a website. It would probably be a better design than the current NDHSAA site.

I
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby GOPACKGO!!! » Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:42 am

hoophoophoop wrote:Coverage around this area for high school sports is a fricking joke!!!!!!!!!! I hope covering the Bison everyday of the year makes you happy, I hope Bison lose every game they play, and I use to be a season ticket holder

Agree!!! It's not just getting the info out to the news to be published, they can get their asses out more than 20min from the FM Area. They can upload the video footage, it's not like the old days where they would have to race a VHS back to town. Only one that even puts an effort in at all is WDAY, if you watch any other stations they will show footage of pro sports because they don't have to leave their cocoon to get that footage. Lazy!!!
GOPACKGO!!!
NDPreps Starter

Postby GOPACKGO!!! » Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:44 am

Flip wrote:If you taught incoming Mayville State freshmen a week of HTML and asked them to put together a website. It would probably be a better design than the current NDHSAA site.

I

It's a mess! It looks to me like the site was created early and they just kept adding to it and now we have a mess of a website. It needs a major overhaul!
GOPACKGO!!!
NDPreps Starter

Postby Sportsrube » Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:02 pm

Flip wrote:
vikingman wrote:NDHSAA site has a place for each team to enter game stats. I'm not sure anyone does. If it's too much to ask for full stats, it would be nice if the home team could at least put points in for both teams from the official scorebook.

If it's like entering anything onto the NDHSAA website it is a total pain in the man.

Agreed. It has been a few years since I have had to enter anything into the NDHSAA website and it was anything but user friendly. (But then again I am old and would not be considered to be a tech expert by any stretch of the imagination.)
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby d_fense » Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:03 am

When tournaments used to be in minot there was a site that had all tournament box scores. Anyone recall the site?
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby sportsphenom » Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:43 pm

d_fense wrote:When tournaments used to be in minot there was a site that had all tournament box scores. Anyone recall the site?

NDHSAA actually posted stats from every girls state game this last weekend on their Facebook page, was nice to look at.
sportsphenom
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Mandan » Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:16 pm

UNDSiouxfan wrote:Agree 100% with most of the comments. The big city newspapers gave up on the smaller class B towns many years ago. I remember the good old days when every box score was in print the next day, & for many of us it was the first thing we read when we got the newspaper.

There are still small town local newspapers that are worth their salt but that’s about it.

It's not just box scores but standings too. Up until a couple years ago, the Bismarck Tribune printed all class B region/district standings on Thursdays. Which was a great way to catch up on how all the schools were doing. They don't do that anymore either.
Mandan
NDPreps Starter

Postby d_fense » Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:27 pm

sportsphenom wrote:
d_fense wrote:When tournaments used to be in minot there was a site that had all tournament box scores. Anyone recall the site?

NDHSAA actually posted stats from every girls state game this last weekend on their Facebook page, was nice to look at.

Anywhere else for those who do not have Facebook? I only found the championship game on ndhsaa.com
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flip » Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:21 pm

I saw game stats from at least three different accounts on Twitter.
NDHSAA
ND Basketball Hub
whatever the Minto tourney account was.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby d_fense » Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:52 am

I don’t do social media. I haven’t seen the value in it.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby vikingman » Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:36 pm

The on-line edition of the Forum has an article on the Class A Boys championship game. The final score is never given anyplace in the article.
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flip » Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:52 pm

I realize this is the boys' forum and this isn't exactly "coverage," but dear lord is Lynette Johnson an awful "analyst." I, as a viewer, would like some insight, but even if I get zero insight I wish they could find two people that could at last complete a sentence. I thought the guy she worked with for the Class A tournament did a good job. He actually asked Lynette towards the end of the Shanley/Legacy game if Shanley should foul when they're up three towards the end of the game. Lynette had no idea why you would foul when you're up three.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby BasketballMind » Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:42 pm

Complete lack of effort. I remember my coaches having to make a phone call to the sports desk at the Herald to make sure our stuff got in for the next mornings paper. I used to do this same thing in college and would have to Fax our box scores all across the state to get them posted. It's not difficult but it is time consuming and takes consistency. The sports media in ND has been pretty lazy for a long time if it's anything Class B related outside of the state tournament. There are probably a lot of people that didn't know who Jesse White was until this year and he scored 2,000 points while playing with a birth defect giving him half of a left hand. His 1,000th point should've been a big deal and his 2,000th point should've been massively covered. That's just a recent example, but those things need to be covered instead of doing ESPN light Bison coverage.
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Postby leroybla » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:22 pm

BasketballMind wrote:Complete lack of effort. I remember my coaches having to make a phone call to the sports desk at the Herald to make sure our stuff got in for the next mornings paper. I used to do this same thing in college and would have to Fax our box scores all across the state to get them posted. It's not difficult but it is time consuming and takes consistency. The sports media in ND has been pretty lazy for a long time if it's anything Class B related outside of the state tournament. There are probably a lot of people that didn't know who Jesse White was until this year and he scored 2,000 points while playing with a birth defect giving him half of a left hand. His 1,000th point should've been a big deal and his 2,000th point should've been massively covered. That's just a recent example, but those things need to be covered instead of doing ESPN light Bison coverage.
A simple contact with the scorers table at each school would do the job. Just leave a contact number for a text or call, and I'm sure each school would report.
leroybla
NDPreps All-Conference

Return to Boys