The Dreaded Three Pointer

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: The Dreaded Three Pointer

Postby sportsphenom » Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:52 pm

The Schwab wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:
maddog1971 wrote:I think the fact that drive and get to the basket and post players get beat up quite a bit with no fouls called. Trust me I like the physical play and as long as they call it both ways... I am fine with that. But i think that is why you see good post players popping out and shooting the 3. They just want to get a shot off with getting pushed or hit. I love the the circle thing for charges. I also like the fact they let kids jump straight up and no foul.

Semi-circle is fine if every official knew the rules to it; charges can still be taken inside the semi-circle ONLY IF you are the primary defender OR along the baseline by any defender...it's baffling to hear some of the arguments by officials on this one.

Semi-circle is to stop the secondary defenders from planting too close to the hoop, in many cases eliminating some dangerous undercutting plays.

Also like to leave this here as well: https://www.quickscores.com/downloads/j ... etball.pdf

In my opinion, the no-charge circle is incorrectly called more often than anything and that's why I would like to see it removed.

I hate how some refs (not all) get lazy in their reffing and just use the semi-circle as a reference when in fact some charges should still be called in there. Their excuse to every block call is that they are in the circle. I've seen many kids fly in out of control and should be called for charges.
sportsphenom
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby winner-within » Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:13 pm

RedDirtFan wrote:I don't mind how the game has evolved in regard to 3 point shooting--it's fun to watch when good teams are on the floor--but one thing that has remained the same is this:

The teams that win consistently have more kids who rarely miss layups or rarely miss within 5 feet of the basket. Those teams tend to make more threes too, because momentum and confidence are intertwined. More made bunnies will likely translate to more made threes.

The losing team--at all levels--now points to the poor 3 point percentage first. That logic is faulty--count the point blank misses first.

as of late (last 7 years) the Teams that win Consistently are the Bigs and Privates
the ones that are Located close or actually lie in a Class A City
the ones where the Whole County goes to one school (and I understand our challenges of Demographics)

you have to point to the Low 3 percentage if it was actually low
you cant argue the 3 is all good because many are missing layups too...
its like this 4 quick 2's or 2 long 3's....who is leading?
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Mandan » Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:26 am

This isn't quite as new as you think. I remember the boy's championship game between Minot and Grand Forks Central in 1996. Minot had Mr Basketball Kenny Younger, and instead of making sure he was a part of the offense the other players took a whole lot of 3 pointers, and in my opinion lost the game for Minot by doing so. I have no ties to either town so I was pretty neutral on the schools, but I thought it was terrible way to play this championship game and couldn't understand why Gene Manson let them do that the whole game. Now without being able to rewatch it, I don't remember other details, such as maybe GF Central was playing a zone. But if you can't hit the outside shot there should be other ways to get a Mr Basketball involved and you need to work on that rather than continue with the bad 3 pointers.
Mandan
NDPreps Starter

Postby winner-within » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:10 pm

Whomever shoots the least of these will win State, both Boys and Girls
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:54 pm

winner-within wrote:Whomever shoots the least of these will win State, both Boys and Girls

Devils Lake will win girls if this holds true.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:51 pm

And a team that hits the most (percentage-wise) could create an upset in the first round.. :D
#w-w
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby d_fense » Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:22 am

RedDirtFan wrote:They can't go back to freedom of movement in class B. There'd be so many foul-outs and so many complaints. It's not worth it for officials to not "let them play."

As physical as the game is allowed to be now, fouling out should be a thing of the past unless we're talking 5 egregious fouls.

I think it is comical that people in ND think our high school ball is physical. Cross the river into MN or watch most other state if you want to see physical play. Or watch any AAU tournament.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby Sportsrube » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:25 am

d_fense wrote:
RedDirtFan wrote:They can't go back to freedom of movement in class B. There'd be so many foul-outs and so many complaints. It's not worth it for officials to not "let them play."

As physical as the game is allowed to be now, fouling out should be a thing of the past unless we're talking 5 egregious fouls.

I think it is comical that people in ND think our high school ball is physical. Cross the river into MN or watch most other state if you want to see physical play. Or watch any AAU tournament.

True - SD is way more physical in both boys and girls.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby winner-within » Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:10 pm

winner-within wrote:Whomever shoots the least of these will win State, both Boys and Girls

one down, one to go......
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:48 am

Region 2 Championship game?

the lets try Burry them 3's....many missed
the lets try catch up 3's....many missed
the desperation 3's.....many missed

was surprised on all the 3's taken by these 2 teams actually

in the end when NB started to run the floor, like the Grafton girls did in the state ship (shot less 3's than CC) things changed fast.
and when you see the final score, if you hadn't seen the game, one would not know that NB had to play major catch up....when you need a Stop, part of that equation is don't give away the O-Rebound....that happened to much...
Lee has been a great Leader and Point guard the last couple seasons and as a Senior thats where he should have been IMO, or at least on the majority of the sets...he was sort of out of sync in their offence and definitely has the best attack to the Hole....the transfer from EGF wasn't a big factor he seemed very timid
game was Physical inside but I thought if Lee fouled out Jiskra should have too
Coaches have to learn to work the refs like Graftons coach does, unless of course, if only some get away with that...
Good Luck to all Eight @ State!
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby birthday » Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:09 am

Linton-hmb was 4-30 from 3 point land last night. Live and die by the 3
birthday
NDPreps Starter

Postby winner-within » Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:25 am

birthday wrote:Linton-hmb was 4-30 from 3 point land last night. Live and die by the 3

way more mostly Die, obviously
in the NCAA yesterday I saw a couple taken at the end of games to close the gap when they only needed a 2 ...
Steph Curry does a pretty good Job of living by the 3 but he gets some pretty good Gym time :D and the High Schoolers that can make'm drain get serious Gym Time compared to many towns but even the best there maybe 30% at best and efficient with selection.....

If James Hardin (prolific 3 shooter) gets 35 in a night, many think its 6 or 7 threes but usually its more like 4...
one has to "Round" their game...No Pun Intended
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:47 pm

winner-within wrote:in the NCAA yesterday I saw a couple taken at the end of games to close the gap when they only needed a 2 ...

If you're down 2. A good three-point shot > A good two-point shot.
Down 1. Yes, look for a 2.
Last edited by Flip on Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby maddog1971 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:13 pm

Oak Grove uses the 3 ball and it kept them in every game this year. They used the 3 ball all the way to the regional finals with a team that is not loaded with height or strength. I think they hit 12 DEEP DEEP 3's against Kindred last night which actually pulled them ahead. Then Kindred hit some 3's of their own to get a head and pull away. SO... they can kill ya or they can help you pull off a big upset.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby winner-within » Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:29 am

I actually don't think that was a "big upset" (Enderlin was vulnerable) and yes, OG is known for the Deep three...started with a Kid back in the day about 5 years ago or so...name escapes me but I think his Brother played Class A if I remember right...
a 3 isn't as detrimental as I make it sound, it just needs to be incorporated right into the mix....
Baylor lost to Oklahoma St. in the Big 12 Final...they went 5 for 27 from three but lead the whole game...
in the end though it was the missed 3's that caused their defeat.....
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby birthday » Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:05 pm

Kretchman
birthday
NDPreps Starter

Postby Dakotastater » Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:46 am

KIndred shot way less 3's than any other team in the tournament (25 to 41 for the next lowest) but at the highest percentage made (44%). Without the 6 3's made by Pearson against FWM, the game may have looked a lot different.
Dakotastater
NDPreps Starter

Postby winner-within » Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:07 pm

Dakotastater wrote:

KIndred shot way less 3's than any other team in the tournament (25 to 41 for the next lowest) but at the highest percentage made (44%). Without the 6 3's made by Pearson against FWM, the game may have looked a lot different.

Those 6 threes don't happen like that very often and like you stated they're not known for sitting and Casting....so if your open you have to shoot especially in a big stage game....
so if the player that made them was guarded or closed on hard they may of still gotten a 2 or someone else gets a 3 and they still win...and lets say he misses 3 of the 6 with the way Kindred can jump they probably get an offensive board off of a couple.....

Kindred won the Tourn Running (speed) and jumping and playing smart ball just like the Grafton girls did
less threes, because you can die, living on them...that why I dubbed the Thread "The Dreaded Three Pointer"
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Previous

Return to Boys