Steve Blehm

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Steve Blehm

Postby The Schwab » Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:05 pm

I hope he gets to number 2!

I hate to hijack this topic, but can we talk about how the greatest scorer in ND history was only a 2 time all state selection (1 time first team, 1 second team)? That seems absolutely bonkers to me.
Last edited by Run4Fun2009 on Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Split Topics
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Re: Steve Blehm

Postby Flying Wallenda » Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:42 pm

The Schwab wrote:I hope he gets to number 2!

I hate to hijack this topic, but can we talk about how the greatest scorer in ND history was only a 2 time all state selection (1 time first team, 1 second team)? That seems absolutely bonkers to me.

Was that at the time when class A and B all state teams were combined?
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby The Schwab » Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:43 pm

Flying Wallenda wrote:

Yes it was
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby B Historian » Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:23 pm

The Schwab wrote:
Flying Wallenda wrote:

Yes it was

There were ten players on the combined all-state team in 1971. The old article I have stated that Blehm was tied for 11th in the voting. There were four Class B players on the team ahead of Blehm- one on the first team and three on the second team. All four played in the state tournament and two in the championship game. Regardless, it seems pretty incredible that Blehm did not make the team.
B Historian
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby The Schwab » Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:09 pm

scc wrote:
B Historian wrote:
The Schwab wrote:
Flying Wallenda wrote:

Yes it was

There were ten players on the combined all-state team in 1971. The old article I have stated that Blehm was tied for 11th in the voting. There were four Class B players on the team ahead of Blehm- one on the first team and three on the second team. All four played in the state tournament and two in the championship game. Regardless, it seems pretty incredible that Blehm did not make the team.

I have to believe it was very rare for anyone but seniors and juniors to make the team back then. There were over 250 teams between Class A and Class B at that time and only 10 all-state slots to fill for the entire state.

Completely understand that there were so many athletes! I just have a hard time with someone who averages 47 ppg not making an all state team.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby maddog1971 » Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:25 pm

What did Steve Blehm's teams say during the game...

Hey Steve I'm open.... ok nice shot.... hey Steve... never mind....
I would love to know how many shot attempts he had a game and shooting percentage.... Don't get me wrong... that is an unbelievable accomplishment... but maybe that had something to do with him not making all State... put up lots of points but did not win games because he was shooting all the time.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby bingobangobongo » Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:28 pm

maddog1971 wrote:What did Steve Blehm's teams say during the game...

I would love to know how many shot attempts he had a game and shooting percentage.... Don't get me wrong... that is an unbelievable accomplishment... but maybe that had something to do with him not making all State... put up lots of points but did not win games because he was shooting all the time.

I don't think his teammates said much to him.
bingobangobongo
NDPreps Starter

Postby Sportsrube » Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:32 pm

I would also like to see his shooting percentages, but to average 47 points a game without the 3 point shot is ridiculous. Someone enlighten me as to his team's won/loss record when he played. Also, did he play solid defense, rebound, etc...... I would love to see video footage of him, but I am guessing there aren't any.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby T reporter » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:04 am

Thought Steve was deaf. Yes no??
T reporter
NDPreps Starter

Postby Sportsrube » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:46 am

T reporter wrote:Thought Steve was deaf. Yes no??

Yes
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby B Historian » Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:37 am

Sportsrube wrote:

I would also like to see his shooting percentages, but to average 47 points a game without the 3 point shot is ridiculous. Someone enlighten me as to his team's won/loss record when he played. Also, did he play solid defense, rebound, etc...... I would love to see video footage of him, but I am guessing there aren't any.

For his career he shot 47.6% from the field and 71.8% from the line. He averaged 14.4 rebounds per game as well. His team went 66-28 during his four years including 20-6 his JR year (2nd in the region) and 20-4 his SR year (2nd in the district).

From what I was told by someone that was able to see him play, he was an excellent ball-handler and shot well off the dribble. His teammates would set constant screens for him and many of his shots came 20-25 feet from the basket which was unusual shooting range for that era, especially in HS ball. He was also a very good offensive rebounder and would get put back points when his teammates did shoot.
B Historian
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby B Historian » Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:39 am

Sportsrube wrote:
T reporter wrote:Thought Steve was deaf. Yes no??

Yes

His deafness was the result of a reaction to a medication he took as a child.
B Historian
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby The Schwab » Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:55 am

B Historian wrote:
Sportsrube wrote:

For his career he shot 47.6% from the field and 71.8% from the line. He averaged 14.4 rebounds per game as well. His team went 66-28 during his four years including 20-6 his JR year (2nd in the region) and 20-4 his SR year (2nd in the district).

From what I was told by someone that was able to see him play, he was an excellent ball-handler and shot well off the dribble. His teammates would set constant screens for him and many of his shots came 20-25 feet from the basket which was unusual shooting range for that era, especially in HS ball. He was also a very good offensive rebounder and would get put back points when his teammates did shoot.

Pretty efficient scorer it sounds like. Rebound numbers are also really strong. I'm kind of surprised his FT percentage wasn't a little higher.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby classB4ever » Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:11 am

B Historian wrote:From what I was told by someone that was able to see him play, he was an excellent ball-handler and shot well off the dribble. His teammates would set constant screens for him and many of his shots came 20-25 feet from the basket which was unusual shooting range for that era, especially in HS ball. He was also a very good offensive rebounder and would get put back points when his teammates did shoot.

Having visited with someone that played against Steve a number of times, this is a very good take. Screen after screen from teammates to get open looks. Mostly perimeter shots. The gentleman I spoke with was quite proud of guarding him and "holding him" to 42 points that game.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Sportsrube » Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:24 am

The Schwab wrote:
B Historian wrote:
Sportsrube wrote:

Pretty efficient scorer it sounds like. Rebound numbers are also really strong. I'm kind of surprised his FT percentage wasn't a little higher.

Agreed, sounds like he was a well rounded player and with 47% FG that tells me he was not a volume shooter. After hearing this I am even more surprised that he wasn't on the All State Team.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby B Historian » Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:17 pm

classB4ever wrote:
B Historian wrote:From what I was told by someone that was able to see him play, he was an excellent ball-handler and shot well off the dribble. His teammates would set constant screens for him and many of his shots came 20-25 feet from the basket which was unusual shooting range for that era, especially in HS ball. He was also a very good offensive rebounder and would get put back points when his teammates did shoot.

Having visited with someone that played against Steve a number of times, this is a very good take. Screen after screen from teammates to get open looks. Mostly perimeter shots. The gentleman I spoke with was quite proud of guarding him and "holding him" to 42 points that game.

Blehm's lowest single game point total his sophomore year was 33 points. Imagine being able to brag about holding someone to 33 points!
B Historian
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby kboftw » Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:17 am

My dad was on a team that played against him in Blehm's senior year of high school and said essentially the same thing: unlimited range (pre 3-point arc), terrific athlete and his teammates set a ton of screens to spring him open for shots, but that's what made them successful and tough to beat.
kboftw
NDPreps Starter

Postby d_fense » Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:54 am

Sportsrube wrote:
The Schwab wrote:
B Historian wrote:
Sportsrube wrote:

Agreed, sounds like he was a well rounded player and with 47% FG that tells me he was not a volume shooter. After hearing this I am even more surprised that he wasn't on the All State Team.

Wait... What did you say? Not a volume shooter... I worked on the assumption that he shot about 10 free throws a game, since most accounts say he scored mostly from jump shots. Jump shooters Typically don’t get fouled as much as drivers and post players. If 10 ft attempts a game is close that means he would have shot about 37 shots a game. I don’t see how anyone could say that 37 shots a game isn’t a “volume” shooter.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby Sportsrube » Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:48 am

d_fense wrote:
Sportsrube wrote:
The Schwab wrote:
B Historian wrote:
Sportsrube wrote:

Wait... What did you say? Not a volume shooter... I worked on the assumption that he shot about 10 free throws a game, since most accounts say he scored mostly from jump shots. Jump shooters Typically don’t get fouled as much as drivers and post players. If 10 ft attempts a game is close that means he would have shot about 37 shots a game. I don’t see how anyone could say that 37 shots a game isn’t a “volume” shooter.

My definition of a "volume shooter" is someone who needs to take a lot of shots in order to get their points. In other words someone who has a high point total but a low shooting percentage. (30 shots to score 18 points type of thing)
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby packers21 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:53 am

Sportsrube wrote:
d_fense wrote:
Sportsrube wrote:
The Schwab wrote:
B Historian wrote:
Sportsrube wrote:

My definition of a "volume shooter" is someone who needs to take a lot of shots in order to get their points. In other words someone who has a high point total but a low shooting percentage. (30 shots to score 18 points type of thing)

Totally agree, my label would be efficient not so much volume IMO.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby d_fense » Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:52 am

Ok. Going off my assumption of 10 ft attempts per game, that would put him at about 1.14 points per shot. 1.14 is decent. I always felt if you were under 1.0 you better not be among the top two or three in field goal attempts on the team.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby The Schwab » Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:33 am

d_fense wrote:Ok. Going off my assumption of 10 ft attempts per game, that would put him at about 1.14 points per shot. 1.14 is decent. I always felt if you were under 1.0 you better not be among the top two or three in field goal attempts on the team.

In today's game I would agree with you that if someone isn't averaging 1.0 pps, that player should not shoot the ball as often as others. However, I would say that 1.14 in the era when Blehm played is really good (especially for a guard). If he was playing with today's scoring system I would be willing to bet he would be closer to 1.5+ pps.

*Edited to explain myself a little better.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Return to Boys