Region 1

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Region 1

Postby wnrwnrckndnr » Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:10 pm

The Schwab wrote:As far as coaching is concerned. How many people on this board talking about coaching have coached a high school varsity team? How many have been successful? Do you realize that every coach will question things they do in every game after it's all said and done. There is so much that goes into the course game and season. Does anyone realize how about how much pressure this team is under? They are being scrutinized every day.
Best of luck to the players and coaches from Enderlin.

Well said. Watching Enderlin the last 3 games it doesn't even look like they are even having fun playing right now. The amount of pressure that has been riding on a young coach and still a young team (only starting 1 senior) has been tremendous. Like Kraft said in a interview with dom izzo. Unless they win by 25 points they didn't do well enough, even if they win the game. Hopefully they can right the ship against Tri-State on Thursday and start having some fun again, there is alot of season left. Go Eagles.
wnrwnrckndnr
NDPreps Reserve

Postby defensewinsgames » Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:49 pm

The Schwab wrote:As far as coaching is concerned. How many people on this board talking about coaching have coached a high school varsity team? How many have been successful? Do you realize that every coach will question things they do in every game after it's all said and done. There is so much that goes into the course game and season. Does anyone realize how about how much pressure this team is under? They are being scrutinized every day.

BINGO! The easiest place to "coach" and critique from is the stands or your arm chair. Tougher than everyone thinks to sit in the hot seat and coach, manage a program, and deflect bullets from critics. I don't care if you start five 7 footers they still need to have skill and know the game to be successful, the fact a team with almost no seniors is this relevant for two years in a row tells me coach is doing a pretty good job. Like every coach I'm sure he would be the first to tell you that there is work to do but all of that pressure on student athletes isn't something I love. Play for the love of the game, don't let others ruin it for you by listening to the talking heads.
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby maddog1971 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:04 pm

Enjoy watching all the kids in Region 1 Play. Some really great talent out there to enjoy. I am on board with let them have fun. Problem is that everyone has been talking that Eagles are going to win state, they have 4 players are all state caliber. So yes when people make those comments and your name is in the paper and you get beat by a few sub par teams...... you are going to get some grief.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby 3on3 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:19 pm

I guess my take on the whole Enderlin deal is they almost look identical to when Calvin played at CC. A freelance offense with a ton of 3 point shots taken. Granted he could hit them way better than this team can. Like stated above i am kind of another old school bball mind but good lord they could eat teams up by playing the bigs down low. It is just painful to watch the size not being used. I guess we will see if anything changes. Good luck eagles.
3on3
NDPreps Reserve

Postby The Schwab » Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:35 pm

maddog1971 wrote:Enjoy watching all the kids in Region 1 Play. Some really great talent out there to enjoy. I am on board with let them have fun. Problem is that everyone has been talking that Eagles are going to win state, they have 4 players are all state caliber. So yes when people make those comments and your name is in the paper and you get beat by a few sub par teams...... you are going to get some grief.

I think I understand what you are getting at, but I want to clarify. If people want to question a coach, I guess that's your choice but if you are going to sit back and be a keyboard warrior, please don't bash kids who are 14-18 years old.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby leroybla » Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:19 pm

I don't think it's correct to say that Enderlin has 4 Allstate players. Separate them, put them on weaker teams and we may not know their names. There are several examples even in R1. Put together on one team and there are higher expectations. Enderlin has trouble being equal to the some of their parts. More self-discipline and teamwork would help.
leroybla
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby maddog1971 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:12 am

Let's not forget about the Grovers.... they are playing really well. They have played everyone very tough. They are prime to upset a Kindred team that is not very healthy and not playing at their best.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby BasketballMind » Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:45 am

Haven't seen Enderlin play this year so I can't speak to anything they're doing. We've also got to remember, they only need to be playing their best basketball for 2 weeks in March, if they are able to do that and bring home a state championship or a good run at state, all this noise will be forgotten. HCV had a low-point during this part of the season last year too. That was an experienced team with state championship experience and started 5 seniors by the end of the season. Going into Regionals, nobody on this board was predicting them. Everyone assumed HN would steamroll their way to state. Once HCV got their kinks worked out they started playing like the team everyone predicted them to in the preseason and won every game by 15+ points.
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Postby ND Basketball Fan » Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:20 pm

wnrwnrckndnr wrote:

Well said. Watching Enderlin the last 3 games it doesn't even look like they are even having fun playing right now. The amount of pressure that has been riding on a young coach and still a young team (only starting 1 senior) has been tremendous. Like Kraft said in a interview with dom izzo. Unless they win by 25 points they didn't do well enough, even if they win the game. Hopefully they can right the ship against Tri-State on Thursday and start having some fun again, there is alot of season left. Go Eagles.

On paper, Enderlin is loaded. Watching them these past few games and they look disengaged. If you have two Power 5 kids on one team and they are feeling the pressure of playing Class B Basketball, good luck to them in college. Wow!
ND Basketball Fan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ND Basketball Fan » Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:32 pm

maddog1971 wrote:Let's not forget about the Grovers.... they are playing really well. They have played everyone very tough. They are prime to upset a Kindred team that is not very healthy and not playing at their best.

I think you can say that many teams have played a tough schedule so far this year and OG's has been no different. They play Kindred tomorrow and #5 Langdon on Saturday. This team is starting to hit their stride. Coach Card does a great job getting his team ready for Regions. They consistently play 11 kids and they all seem to contribute. I'm sure this will get thinned down as Tournament Time comes, more than likely a 8 man rotation. They have a Sophomore playing some big minutes for them as well. If they are shooting well, they can play with anyone in the State. Whomever comes out of Region 1 has a great shot on playing Saturday Night at the "B". They will be a tough team to beat over the next couple of years. A couple of good looking Sophomores that will be a handful over the next couple of years.
ND Basketball Fan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby The Schwab » Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:33 am

ND Basketball Fan wrote:
wnrwnrckndnr wrote:

On paper, Enderlin is loaded. Watching them these past few games and they look disengaged. If you have two Power 5 kids on one team and they are feeling the pressure of playing Class B Basketball, good luck to them in college. Wow!

Little different in my opinion, right now they are high school kids and could even be 16 (not sure when their bday's are). IMO there is a vast difference between the maturation of players from when they are 16-23 (the age of most 5th year college bball seniors.)
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Dakotastater » Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:34 am

maddog1971 wrote:Let's not forget about the Grovers.... they are playing really well. They have played everyone very tough. They are prime to upset a Kindred team that is not very healthy and not playing at their best.

If Kindred is not playing their best I'd love to see what they will look like when rolling. Last 4 games with the only close one being a win against Central Cass, and 30, 20, and 40 point wins against W-L (who just beat Enderlin), a not horrible Thompson team, and RIchland respectively.
Dakotastater
NDPreps Starter

Postby Sportsrube » Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:45 am

Dakotastater wrote:

If Kindred is not playing their best I'd love to see what they will look like when rolling. Last 4 games with the only close one being a win against Central Cass, and 30, 20, and 40 point wins against W-L (who just beat Enderlin), a not horrible Thompson team, and RIchland respectively.

Is Olson back at full speed for Kindred? Without him they are a good team, with him they take it up to the next level from what I have seen.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby maddog1971 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:45 pm

Sportsrube wrote:
Dakotastater wrote:

Is Olson back at full speed for Kindred? Without him they are a good team, with him they take it up to the next level from what I have seen.

No they are not healthy and no Olson is not at full speed but hopefully by regionals. Kindred has great defense but OG puts up lots of 3's.. but shooting them against 5"10 guards is whole lot different them shooting them against 6'5 and 6"4 kids that are also long and athletic. If OG is hot they will win....
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby GOPACKGO!!! » Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:17 pm

51-48 Kindred over Oak Grove

Well that was an ugly game! OG comes out scores 20 in the first and than struggles to put 7pts up for two consecutive quarters. Uff da! Neither team deserved to win this game. I don't know about the rest of the state but I'm kind of missing HCV, Thompson, Richland, Shiloh, & Bishop Ryan about now that we were lucky enough to enjoy the past few years. What's lacking this season you ask? Talent! :lol: Don't kill the messenger if the truth hurts.
GOPACKGO!!!
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:24 pm

GOPACKGO!!! wrote:51-48 Kindred over Oak Grove

Well that was an ugly game! OG comes out scores 20 in the first and than struggles to put 7pts up for two consecutive quarters. Uff da! Neither team deserved to win this game. I don't know about the rest of the state but I'm kind of missing the talent of HCV, Thompson, Richland, Shiloh, & Bishop Ryan about now that we were lucky enough to enjoy the past few years. What's lacking this season you ask? Talent! :lol: Don't kill the messenger if the truth hurts.

OG 20 25 38 48
K 12 23 33 51

OG hit outside shots and got some fortunate shots to go off the glass early...then bricks were laid and defense & rebounding took over which Kindred was better at tonight. OG still had chance to tie at end of regulation...but Kindred's rebounding became the winner tonight.

K & CC have won ugly games vs. OG this year but OG doesn't usually shoot well from floor away from home (as does most teams when they go on the road); K & CC had the better D when it mattered most those nights. OG will have to get over this one quickly as they'll need to prepare for Langdon on Saturday and the home stretch of Region games vs. Sargent County, Hankinson, Enderlin, Northern Cass

Other Region 1 Scores
Central Cass def. Hankinson 80-47
Enderlin def. Tri-State 86-30
Northern Cass def. Wyndmere-Lidgerwood 67-56 (Crocket has huge 2nd Half - 29 points; 18 in 4th Q)
Sargent County def. Richland 71-55
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby leroybla » Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:45 pm

Oak Grove missed a few key shots at critical times near the end of the game but definitely had chances to win. Hats off to the Grovers for their effort. They'll be a factor down the stretch in R1.
leroybla
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:49 pm

leroybla wrote:Oak Grove missed a few key shots at critical times near the end of the game but definitely had chances to win. Hats off to the Grovers for their effort. They'll be a factor down the stretch in R1.

Couple games here this year that we are starting to see some solid half court defense and slowing down good shooting teams (Central Cass 52, Dickinson Trinity 56, Four Winds-Minnewaukan 59, Kindred 51; all in losing efforts but all were close games with poor shooting); Offensively, yeah they settled a lot for outside shots and when those aren't falling it can be tough. Kindred is a solid squad that is working their way back to form...those two alley-oop dunks were nice in the 4th Q

So rare to see Swenson miss 4th Quarter FTs...but I know Keller is a good FT shooter in his own right...and he missed a few key ones as well.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby maddog1971 » Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:38 am

OG is really good at getting teams to play sloppy and ugly. They speed the game up and get teams to play the way OG has a chance to win. Hats off to them. They did to to 4 Winds and Kindred and made some really good guards not look so good.
But saying OG did not shoot the ball well ... well that I don't agree with. They hit a number of really Deep 3's from 5 or 6 feet behind the line.... and at least 1 of them went off the board. And honestly It was unreal some of the shots they put up against Long jumping defenders that went in. They shot some floaters that were awesome.
Kindred needs to get healthy. They had another kid go down last night. The problem with Jumping so high is they get undercut all the time by shorter players trying to box them out.... Which is not good for their health.
Also Even if you are a grover fan you had to EnJoy the two dunks in the 4th quarter.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:26 am

6-17 is not a normal 3 point night for OG...but it is pretty normal for a road game. Too many missed finishes at the rim by kids who usually make them (some attributed to the D).

It was a good game and exactly what I expected; lower scoring
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Flip » Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:06 am

Run4Fun2009 wrote:6-17 is not a normal 3 point night for OG...but it is pretty normal for a road game. Too many missed finishes at the rim by kids who usually make them (some attributed to the D).

6-17 is 35%, that's decent. I can't imagine they're shooting much better than that.
17 attempts seem low for a team that shoots a lot of 3s though.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby maddog1971 » Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:46 am

Run4Fun2009 wrote:6-17 is not a normal 3 point night for OG...but it is pretty normal for a road game. Too many missed finishes at the rim by kids who usually make them (some attributed to the D).

WELL... I would say if you are a 5'8 to 5'10 guard is is tough getting 3's shot over the 6'4 and 6'5 guards of Kindred. and Some of those shots the OG made on drives over the Big time Jumpers Kindred has was very impressive. Kindred does not give up that many points so it was impressive 1st where they put up 20. AFter that the rest of the game they only gave up 28 which is the normal for the Kindred D.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby ND Basketball Fan » Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:58 am

Kindred didn't look like they were hitting on all cylinders last night - I have to give OG credit as to why. Kindred's length and athleticism ultimately was too much and OG wasn't able to hit the big shots down the stretch when needed. I do like how Kindred plays. They are unselfish and move the ball very well. They have a solid program that looks to have a bright future after watching their JV play. Very well coached (JV) on how to move the ball and help and recover on defense. They destroyed OG's JV and the two Soph's that OG has need to learn to play together or they have no shot. One wants to do everything himself and the other is dependent on others to get him the ball. No ball movement. Just the point guard driving and forcing - not good basketball. Two programs that are going to be tough in the future are Thompson and Kindred (Region 1 and 2). Thompson is young this year but watching their JV and C squad play, they know how to play the came. Both programs seem to have great coaching at the younger levels.
ND Basketball Fan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby classB4ever » Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:23 pm

ND Basketball Fan wrote:They have a solid program that looks to have a bright future after watching their JV play. Very well coached (JV) on how to move the ball and help and recover on defense. They destroyed OG's JV and the two Soph's that OG has need to learn to play together or they have no shot. One wants to do everything himself and the other is dependent on others to get him the ball. No ball movement. Just the point guard driving and forcing - not good basketball. Two programs that are going to be tough in the future are Thompson and Kindred (Region 1 and 2). Thompson is young this year but watching their JV and C squad play, they know how to play the came. Both programs seem to have great coaching at the younger levels.

Have only seen R4 & R6 play this year, but very hard to gauge JV and C squad games in those 2 regions as almost all teams have to play freshman and sophomores on varsity due to lack of numbers. Not even sure how many teams have a C squad.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby GOPACKGO!!! » Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:53 pm

It seemed a lot worse than that probably because they made most of them in the first quarter. At one point both teams were exchanging air balls from 3 point land. This site needs a smh hand over the face guy for an emoji.
:D

OG beat Kindred down the floor I don't know how many times. If they are able to get shots to fall I agree they could definitely be a competitor come tourney time.
GOPACKGO!!!
NDPreps Starter

PreviousNext

Return to Boys