Region 2 Scores, Discussion

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Region 2 Scores, Discussion

Postby Flip » Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:56 pm

Most posters are siding with NB. It feels like this because of the first two games of the tournament. I don't think that many gave NB that much of a shot a week ago. Am I wrong?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby BasketballMind » Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:19 pm

North Border is far from just a 3-point shooting team. Early in the year the criticism on them was "all they do is shoot threes" from what I remember. Their passing and unselfish play is such a breath of fresh air. They don't just feed the ball to one guy and watch him go one on one. They move the ball up the floor, hit the open man, and play basketball as a group of five. Stainbrook had a "quiet" 26 points when they played HCV two weeks ago. For Grafton to win tonight they're going to have to get Steven Garza going early and get others involved and ready to contribute. They have to get production out of someone not named Garza or Jiskra tonight.
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Postby defensewinsgames » Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:46 pm

BasketballMind wrote:North Border is far from just a 3-point shooting team. Early in the year the criticism on them was "all they do is shoot threes" from what I remember. Their passing and unselfish play is such a breath of fresh air. They don't just feed the ball to one guy and watch him go one on one. They move the ball up the floor, hit the open man, and play basketball as a group of five. Stainbrook had a "quiet" 26 points when they played HCV two weeks ago. For Grafton to win tonight they're going to have to get Steven Garza going early and get others involved and ready to contribute. They have to get production out of someone not named Garza or Jiskra tonight.

Hmm...I agree with some of this other parts...might be biased based on where your allegiances are...which is fine - just not sure it is unbiased and accurate. I have probably watched 10 NB games this year and I do see a lot of threes being shot and a lot of clear it out and go one-on-one with who has the best matchup. This is the way the game is being played now so there is nothing wrong with it but doesn't matchup up with what you said. I wouldn't say they show more "passing and unselfish play" than the other top teams in the region. In fact I would give Grafton the nod in both of those categories between these two teams. Should be a great game! Sure am excited to see it!
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby winner-within » Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:19 pm

Flip wrote:Most posters are siding with NB. It feels like this because of the first two games of the tournament. I don't think that many gave NB that much of a shot a week ago. Am I wrong?

Its not that you're wrong...I said they would beat Grafton the first time around although tonight will be a tougher task....It falls more into the Category of more people that vote (and way more people on this board) want Grafton to Represent Region 2....

Part of the Problem with the "identity of Class B" is many have already written off the smaller schools and programs because the big ones go to AAU tourns and traveling ball and they're playing the "big time" attitude
it isn't Just a Class B ND problem, its a Nation wide Problem...Basketball in general is taking a hit in Popularity
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby BasketballMind » Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:25 pm

defensewinsgames wrote:
BasketballMind wrote:North Border is far from just a 3-point shooting team. Early in the year the criticism on them was "all they do is shoot threes" from what I remember. Their passing and unselfish play is such a breath of fresh air. They don't just feed the ball to one guy and watch him go one on one. They move the ball up the floor, hit the open man, and play basketball as a group of five. Stainbrook had a "quiet" 26 points when they played HCV two weeks ago. For Grafton to win tonight they're going to have to get Steven Garza going early and get others involved and ready to contribute. They have to get production out of someone not named Garza or Jiskra tonight.

Hmm...I agree with some of this other parts...might be biased based on where your allegiances are...which is fine - just not sure it is unbiased and accurate. I have probably watched 10 NB games this year and I do see a lot of threes being shot and a lot of clear it out and go one-on-one with who has the best matchup. This is the way the game is being played now so there is nothing wrong with it but doesn't matchup up with what you said. I wouldn't say they show more "passing and unselfish play" than the other top teams in the region. In fact I would give Grafton the nod in both of those categories between these two teams. Should be a great game! Sure am excited to see it!

This is based off their play recently. I think during the year while they were figuring each other out, that was definitely the case. But they are 100% the best passing team in the region right now and I really don't think it's close. They created a lot of easy baskets last night off their passes and guys being ready to shoot the ball when open. They beat HCV and Thompson by a combined 55 points and in my opinion, it was their passing and unselfish play that opened it up for them. I am very excited for tonight's game. Grafton is going to have a chip on their shoulder because right now, a lot of people are starting to write them off, and they'll want revenge from the first game. NB hasn't been on this stage for a long time and they're going to leave it all on the floor. We probably got the best Region championship game we could have asked for, all things considered.
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flying Wallenda » Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:54 pm

winner-within wrote:
Flip wrote:Most posters are siding with NB. It feels like this because of the first two games of the tournament. I don't think that many gave NB that much of a shot a week ago. Am I wrong?

Its not that you're wrong...I said they would beat Grafton the first time around although tonight will be a tougher task....It falls more into the Category of more people that vote (and way more people on this board) want Grafton to Represent Region 2....

Part of the Problem with the "identity of Class B" is many have already written off the smaller schools and programs because the big ones go to AAU tourns and traveling ball and they're playing the "big time" attitude
it isn't Just a Class B ND problem, its a Nation wide Problem...Basketball in general is taking a hit in Popularity

Why would more people want Grafton to win than North Border!?
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby RedDirtFan » Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:25 pm

Well this is frustrating to watch. What a dominant defensive performance for Grafton. These kids have earned it.
RedDirtFan
NDPreps Starter

Postby BasketballMind » Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:51 pm

NB had one of their worst quarters of the season to start the game and that's what ultimately cost them. After the first quarter they outscored Grafton 36-30, but that's playoff basketball for you. The Eagles had a fantastic season and will be in a position to compete for the Region 2 championship again next year. They return 4/5 starters, but have a big role to fill with the Lee kid graduating. They're going to need a few of their underclassmen and JV guys to get serious about improving so they don't have to rely on 5 guys again next year. There is another Cosley coming up as a freshman next year, who was thrown in for 30 seconds in the R2 championship game. He'd be my guess for the 5th starter next year. He is only a freshman so there will be some growing pains and adjusting to playing varsity basketball with a target on your back. NB really needs a few other kids to get into the gym and step up for them next year. If they don't, they may come up short again if they find themselves in a similar scenario that they were in on Thursday.

Congrats to Steven Garza on getting Senior Player of the Year and Danny Moore for winning Coach of the year. Well earned by both guys as well as all the all-conference awards. Grafton shouldn't be getting looked down on for the state tournament. Offensively they weren't clicking during Regionals, but their defense has been on point and if they guard like they have been, they could easily bring home a boys title on top of the girls title they just won. They have a tall task ahead of them, but don't act shocked if they're cutting down nets on Saturday night.
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Previous

Return to Boys