Region 2 Scores, Discussion

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Region 2 Scores, Discussion

Postby BasketballMind » Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:08 pm

Wanted to get a thread started for Region 2 scores and discussion. Would be good for threads for other regions to get out there as well. This board is kind of dead outside of the same 8-10 people, let's try to get healthy conversations and discussion going.

Last night (1/5/21)

Cavalier 73, Midway Minto 70
FSHP 46, MPCG 37
Grafton 53, Thompson 33
Hatton-Northwood 57, HCV 56

Watched most of the HN and HCV game. Looked like it was going to be over early, but the Burros had a late run and made it a game. Not sure what the HN defender was thinking getting that close to the shooter at the end of the game. Could have easily been a 4-point play. Great game between these two teams as usual.

Anyone watch the other R2 games last night or have comments on the HN vs HCV game?
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Re: Region 2 Scores, Discussion

Postby The Schwab » Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:14 pm

Maybe I'm off and it's been more recently than I remember but:

When is the last time Finley-Sharon or Finley Sharon Hope Page beat MPCG in varsity boys basketball?
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby defensewinsgames » Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:38 pm

I watched Cavalier vs. Midway-Minto on the NFHS website. Game was fast and relatively physical. Cavalier was kind of in control early with Midway hanging close enough to keep it where they wanted it. 2nd half Midway got up and I thought kept getting to being just about to pull away but then would have a couple bad turnovers, give up offensive rebounds, or something else that kept it close. Schuster had to have been over 30 for the game and hit 4 or 5 threes from the volleyball line. He can score in bunches when he gets going. Down the stretch I just thought Midway-Minto had more scoring punch than Cavalier but was more impressed with the physical and aggressive nature of Cavalier - they are a dang scrappy team. Cavalier showed last night that they have more than just Cluchie who can put up points - the younger Cleem kid had a big night. The Schuster technical in the first half and him fouling out in the last two minutes were huge in Cavalier being right in it. They play again in a week and I don't know who I would pick. Robinson and Schuster are legit but I thought Cavalier was the better overall team. Next go around will come down to if Cavalier can limit those two more. Very good game - too bad I missed the last 3 seconds of a 2 point game because NFHS shut off the feed...
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:03 pm

The Schwab wrote:Maybe I'm off and it's been more recently than I remember but:

When is the last time Finley-Sharon or Finley Sharon Hope Page beat MPCG in varsity boys basketball?

Well my data goes back to 2013-14 season and it hasn't happened in that stretch...game was competitive last year. FSHP already has 2 wins which equals their total for the past 3 seasons (1, 0, 1)

Side Note: Found it in 2012-13 season when FSHP was in Region 1
January 5th, 2013: Finley-Sharon-Hope-Page 51 @ May-Port-CG 44
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby The Schwab » Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:37 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
The Schwab wrote:Maybe I'm off and it's been more recently than I remember but:

Well my data goes back to 2013-14 season and it hasn't happened in that stretch...game was competitive last year. FSHP already has 2 wins which equals their total for the past 3 seasons (1, 0, 1)

Side Note: Found it in 2012-13 season when FSHP was in Region 1
January 5th, 2013: Finley-Sharon-Hope-Page 51 @ May-Port-CG 44

Ok so it had happened more recently than I thought. I wasn't too sure about years from 2007-present. I don't know the last time before 2007 that it happened.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby packers21 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:30 am

BasketballMind wrote:Wanted to get a thread started for Region 2 scores and discussion. Would be good for threads for other regions to get out there as well. This board is kind of dead outside of the same 8-10 people, let's try to get healthy conversations and discussion going.

Last night (1/5/21)

FSHP 46, MPCG 37
Grafton 53, Thompson 33

Watched most of the HN and HCV game. Looked like it was going to be over early, but the Burros had a late run and made it a game. Not sure what the HN defender was thinking getting that close to the shooter at the end of the game. Could have easily been a 4-point play. Great game between these two teams as usual.

Anyone watch the other R2 games last night or have comments on the HN vs HCV game?

From what I have seen I would rank them right now
1. Grafton
2. NB
3. HN
4. HCV
5. Thompson
6. DVE

I was surprised with the Thompson/Grafton Final, Thompson has some really nice young players and had a nice win over Oak Grove. I think Grafton is really the only sure thing in the region final, and any of these teams could make a run.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby BasketballMind » Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:47 am

packers21 wrote:
BasketballMind wrote:Wanted to get a thread started for Region 2 scores and discussion. Would be good for threads for other regions to get out there as well. This board is kind of dead outside of the same 8-10 people, let's try to get healthy conversations and discussion going.

Last night (1/5/21)

FSHP 46, MPCG 37
Grafton 53, Thompson 33

1. Grafton
2. NB
3. HN
4. HCV
5. Thompson
6. DVE

I was surprised with the Thompson/Grafton Final, Thompson has some really nice young players and had a nice win over Oak Grove. I think Grafton is really the only sure thing in the region final, and any of these teams could make a run.

That’s about as spot on a take as I could see right now. Next week when NB and Grafton have their first game we’ll find out how good the Eagles can be. It’ll be interesting between HN, HCV, and Thompson to see who puts it together by the end of the year the best.

Last year HN hit their peak a little too early in the season and weren’t playing as crisp late and it hurt them in regionals. HCV didn’t hit their stride until regionals and it really showed. DVE is not a pushover either and could be a team to ruin someone’s plans in regionals. Stranger things have happened. The top of the region is very clear right now, but after that, those next 4 teams could all surprise each other.
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Postby BasketballMind » Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:54 am

Only two games tonight for Region 2.

Grafton @ FSHP
Midway-Minto @ Larimore
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Postby BasketballMind » Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:58 am

defensewinsgames wrote:I watched Cavalier vs. Midway-Minto on the NFHS website. Game was fast and relatively physical. Cavalier was kind of in control early with Midway hanging close enough to keep it where they wanted it. 2nd half Midway got up and I thought kept getting to being just about to pull away but then would have a couple bad turnovers, give up offensive rebounds, or something else that kept it close. Schuster had to have been over 30 for the game and hit 4 or 5 threes from the volleyball line. He can score in bunches when he gets going. Down the stretch I just thought Midway-Minto had more scoring punch than Cavalier but was more impressed with the physical and aggressive nature of Cavalier - they are a dang scrappy team. Cavalier showed last night that they have more than just Cluchie who can put up points - the younger Cleem kid had a big night. The Schuster technical in the first half and him fouling out in the last two minutes were huge in Cavalier being right in it. They play again in a week and I don't know who I would pick. Robinson and Schuster are legit but I thought Cavalier was the better overall team. Next go around will come down to if Cavalier can limit those two more. Very good game - too bad I missed the last 3 seconds of a 2 point game because NFHS shut off the feed...

I was curious about the cavalier game when I saw the point total. Didn’t know enough about them to think they’d have a score that high as I only knew about Cluchie to be a scorer. Good for them to have some younger guys stepping up. Still crazy to me to see high school kids that are able to shoot 3’s from that deep. There are a few more around the region as well. Different times.
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Postby packers21 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:49 am

BasketballMind wrote:
packers21 wrote:

Last night (1/5/21)

FSHP 46, MPCG 37
Grafton 53, Thompson 33

1. Grafton
2. NB
3. HN
4. HCV
5. Thompson
6. DVE

That’s about as spot on a take as I could see right now. Next week when NB and Grafton have their first game we’ll find out how good the Eagles can be. It’ll be interesting between HN, HCV, and Thompson to see who puts it together by the end of the year the best.

Last year HN hit their peak a little too early in the season and weren’t playing as crisp late and it hurt them in regionals. HCV didn’t hit their stride until regionals and it really showed. DVE is not a pushover either and could be a team to ruin someone’s plans in regionals. Stranger things have happened. The top of the region is very clear right now, but after that, those next 4 teams could all surprise each other.

I could add MM and Cav into that 6 spot pretty tough to put someone there right now, I think those teams beat up on each other someone will pull off a upset which will help in the final standings.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby BasketballMind » Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:30 am

BasketballMind wrote:Only two games tonight for Region 2.

Grafton @ FSHP
Midway-Minto @ Larimore

Grafton 80, FSHP 46
Midway-Minto 66, Larimore 40

I didn't see either of these games, but they appear to have gone the way most would expect.
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Postby BasketballMind » Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:02 pm

Six games tonight for Region 2 schools.

Larimore @ North Star
Drayton/Valley-Edinburg @ North Border
Thompson @ Hillsboro/Central Valley
Cavalier @ Park River
Richland @ MPCG
Langdon @ Hatton-Northwood

Some good matchups tonight. Langdon/HN and Thompson/HCV are the two I'm going to keep my eyes on.
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Postby defensewinsgames » Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:42 pm

BasketballMind wrote:Six games tonight for Region 2 schools.

Larimore @ North Star
Drayton/Valley-Edinburg @ North Border
Thompson @ Hillsboro/Central Valley
Cavalier @ Park River
Richland @ MPCG
Langdon @ Hatton-Northwood

Some good matchups tonight. Langdon/HN and Thompson/HCV are the two I'm going to keep my eyes on.

I think North Star, NB, and MPCG win. The three most interesting games to me are Cavalier @ PR, Langdon @ HN, and Thompson @ HCV. Cav - PR is a near coin-flip game to me and should be a good game. Comes down to: who takes care of the ball, if PR can handle the pressure and physical nature of Cav, and if Cav can limit Hagen the center from PR. Langdon vs. Hatton should be a good game too. I think it is close throughout and Langdon gets breathing room at the end and wins by 10-15. The big three from Langdon out-duel the big two from Hatton. Thompson HCV could be good but I think HCV being older plays to their advantage the first time they play (game two becomes huge to determine seeding). I will take HCV by 5 to 10.
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby BasketballMind » Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:56 am

North Star 71, Larimore 17
North Border 44, DVE 36
HCV 45, Thompson 40
Cavalier 59, PRFL 45
Richland 35, MPCG 31
LAEM 66, HN 58

Thompson actually got out to a 9-0 lead in about 2 minutes to start the game. HCV subbed out all five starters and their second unit played with a ton of energy, made some plays and got the team back into the game. After that it was back and forth and could've gone either way. The two 8th graders Thompson has playing on the varsity don't look to be timid or play like anything is too big for them. Starcevic is very aggressive, plays low and quick, and does a really nice job getting to the basket. He'll be a tough match-up for anybody in the next 4 years.

The last 90 seconds of the game were very interesting and everything was still up for grabs. Thompson had a couple quality shots from inside that just didn't drop. Could've easily tied the game a few times, but it didn't happen. Great battles in the paint for rebounds and loose balls. It was just a fun game as a fan of basketball to watch. The Tommies could be a very scary team in the next few years as these young players develop and gain experience. They're not going to be a team anyone is going to want to match-up with during Regionals and could absolutely knock off anyone in R2. HCV and Thompson play again on February 16th in Thompson. If you're able to be there or can watch it online, I would suggest checking it out.
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Postby BasketballMind » Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:03 pm

Four games today for R2

Rolla @ North Border
Benson County @ Larimore
Midway/Minto @ Northern Cass
MPCG @ Cavalier

MM vs Northern Cass has potential to be a good match-up. I don't know anything about Rolla or Benson County. As far as MPCG vs. Cavalier goes, I would think the Tornadoes take this one by double digits, but I haven't seen either team play, just basing it off scores and other comments I've seen on this board.
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Postby BasketballMind » Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:14 pm

BasketballMind wrote:Four games today for R2

Rolla @ North Border
Benson County @ Larimore
MPCG @ Cavalier

MM vs Northern Cass has potential to be a good match-up. I don't know anything about Rolla or Benson County. As far as MPCG vs. Cavalier goes, I would think the Tornadoes take this one by double digits, but I haven't seen either team play, just basing it off scores and other comments I've seen on this board.

MPCG 56, Cavalier 48
North Border 56, Rolla 46
Benson County 53, Larimore 43
Midway-Minto 80, Northern Cass 73

Anyone see these games? Midway Minto has been scoring a ton lately. I didn’t get to see any of these games, but some interesting final scores.
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Postby BasketballMind » Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:44 pm

Biggest game around R2 this week is North Border @ Grafton on Thursday night (1/14/21). Grafton (6-0) has only been tested by H-N so far this year, winning 58-51 early in the season. Their other 5 wins have been by 20+ points. They play DVE on Tuesday.

North Border (5-1) was beaten by LAEM 67-55 in their second game of the year. They play a home game with PRFL on Tuesday prior to the matchup with the Spoilers.
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Postby BasketballMind » Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:54 pm

Rolla @ North Border
Benson County @ Larimore
MPCG @ Cavalier

Waaaaaay off here, haha. Nice job by MPCG to pick up a win.
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:04 pm

BasketballMind wrote:

Rolla @ North Border
Benson County @ Larimore
MPCG @ Cavalier

It was a huge shock here too as MPCG had just lost to Richland 35-31 on Friday night (who many thought were going to struggle to find wins this year).

MM over NC in OT is a huge shock to R1 fans...but good for MM!

Rolla came out strong vs NB but the tide turned late 2nd Q...early 3rd Q
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby BasketballMind » Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:26 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
It was a huge shock here too as MPCG had just lost to Richland 35-31 on Friday night (who many thought were going to struggle to find wins this year).

In their last three games, Midway-Minto has scored 80, 66, and 70 points. They put up 84 against Napoleon early in the season. Grafton and Langdon have held them in the 40s so far, but that is a ton of points to be putting up for a high school team.

I’ve yet to see them play, are they a 3 point shooting team that’s been getting hot in these games? How many scorers do they have?
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Postby defensewinsgames » Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:02 pm

BasketballMind wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:

In their last three games, Midway-Minto has scored 80, 66, and 70 points. They put up 84 against Napoleon early in the season. Grafton and Langdon have held them in the 40s so far, but that is a ton of points to be putting up for a high school team.

I’ve yet to see them play, are they a 3 point shooting team that’s been getting hot in these games? How many scorers do they have?

I have only seen them play once this year (watched the Cavalier game last week online) but here is what I know of them from this year and last (basically same kids playing). They have two legit scorers. Schuster might be the best three point shooter in the region (probably him and Konschak from HN in a class all their own). Robinson is a great driver and mid-range player. He is great at attacking the basket and shoots free-throws at a high rate. You have to so sell out to slow those two down that other guys get really good looks. Those two are as good of a one-two scoring punch at guards as you find on just about any team in the region. This year (same as last year) it comes down to if they can get any scoring behind them. When other guys contribute and are able to hit the open looks they get MM is tough to beat - but they have also run out box scores where it is really thin, Schuster and Robinson combine for 40+ and only one other kid scores a few points (Langdon box score was: Schuster 21, Robinson 20, Irwin 6, and no one else scored - they lost 47 to 79). I watched the Cavalier game online and they combined for 50 plus but other guys hit some open looks and it was the difference in the game. When you get two guys capable of putting up 60 if anyone else throws in a few you are going to have some big scores. I will say the biggest issue for those two I have seen is discipline. Frustration so forcing poor shots, silly fouls which fouls one of them out, and technicals have popped up at times and causes problems (Schuster fouled out of Cavalier late in the game and had a silly technical earlier - Cavalier was able to keep it really close because he was out the last couple minutes).
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby GOPACKGO!!! » Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:44 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
BasketballMind wrote:

Rolla @ North Border
Benson County @ Larimore
MPCG @ Cavalier

I'll be surprised if MPCG or Richland win another game this year. Uff dah! :D
GOPACKGO!!!
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:11 pm

Has hockey hurt MPCG that much? They have really struggled in the last few years.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:13 pm

GOPACKGO!!! wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:
BasketballMind wrote:

Rolla @ North Border
Benson County @ Larimore
MPCG @ Cavalier

I'll be surprised if MPCG or Richland win another game this year. Uff dah! :D

Richland only gets one if they catch a R1 team on a cold shooting day.

MPCG has 1 or 2 winnable games left and could also catch a team on a bad day and sneak past them
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby BasketballMind » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:51 am

Flip wrote:Has hockey hurt MPCG that much? They have really struggled in the last few years.

Hockey has been hurting them for years. They already have a wrestling program that they lose some of their good athletes to, and hockey doesn’t do them any favors. They’ve had a lot of turnover in the last 12 years with their head coaches, which is ultimately what it comes down to. Look at the best programs in R2 over the last handful of years: HCV (Rotvold), H-N (Konschak), Grafton (Lillemoen), and Thompson (George).

I think Coach George has been at Thompson the shortest amount of time of the four, and I’m pretty sure he’s around 8-9 years. MPCG is on their 7th different head coach dating back 2008. That makes a huge difference in the grand scheme of things. So until they have some stability where their system can start to get implemented at the youth levels, they’re going to continue to struggle. Sometimes a wealth of talented players can get a team over the hump, but year over year you need those secondary players that have been developed and worked with to contribute when you don’t have top tier talent.

Gotta be patient and support your coach early on and not let small town politics derail your program. That’s not a comment on Mayville, that’s a comment just in general.
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Next

Return to Boys