What skills are lacking the most right now?

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: What skills are lacking the most right now?

Postby RedDirtFan » Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:02 pm

Finishing uncontested or lightly contested at the basket is noticeably lacking in recent years. Lots of close misses at all levels, in my opinion.
RedDirtFan
NDPreps Starter

Postby BasketballMind » Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:45 pm

RedDirtFan wrote:Finishing uncontested or lightly contested at the basket is noticeably lacking in recent years. Lots of close misses at all levels, in my opinion.

Too focused on the fancy footwork and trying to create contact and draw a foul, IMO. Players need to focus on going to the basket hard and making the shot first. When you don't get the foul call you end up throwing up a terrible attempt. Going hard to the basket and getting it up on the backboard at least gives your teammates a chance at a putback. And you'll have a better chance of getting a call if you're shooting to make it and not shooting to get to the free throw line. Most kids around this area aren't good enough FT shooters the way it was, so constantly looking to get the free throw line over making a lay-up doesn't make sense.
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Postby Sportsrube » Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:44 pm

RedDirtFan wrote:Finishing uncontested or lightly contested at the basket is noticeably lacking in recent years. Lots of close misses at all levels, in my opinion.

Yeah, but why shoot a boring layup when I can attempt a double pump, one handed scoop shot! Besides, normal layups don't make the highlight reel or make the crowd go "ooohh and aaahh". And don't forget my amazing finger roll (even though I can't get above the rim) or my backwards scoop!
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby bingobangobongo » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:08 am

Sportsrube wrote:

Yeah, but why shoot a boring layup when I can attempt a double pump, one handed scoop shot! Besides, normal layups don't make the highlight reel or make the crowd go "ooohh and aaahh". And don't forget my amazing finger roll (even though I can't get above the rim) or my backwards scoop!

I don't know about the rest of you, but I am sensing a bit of sarcasm. :)
bingobangobongo
NDPreps Starter

Postby east sider » Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:57 pm

Quick points
Maybe it's just me, but footwork on the perimeter is nothing like being in the paint.

Players and teams need to win. Who wants to be drilled on fundamentals and then get creamed by teams. Frankly I think most winning teams have better fundaments vs their opponents so I don't think this is a real issue.

The biggest skill lacking is just lack of overall talent from smaller numbers. Not much to do about that and it's only going to get worse.

E-sports are coming and will take away cross-training in different sports, leading to less skilled athletes. Again, not much to do about that and it's only going to get worse.

To actually answer the question, I agree the biggest issue is lack of mid range game, probably has been for over 10 years. It seems to have trickled down from the NBA very quickly. Funny thing is Curry is probably the most responsible for the trend yet he has an amazing mid range game to complement his outside shooting.
east sider
NDPreps Starter

Postby BasketballMind » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:06 am

east sider wrote:Quick points
Maybe it's just me, but footwork on the perimeter is nothing like being in the paint.

Players and teams need to win. Who wants to be drilled on fundamentals and then get creamed by teams. Frankly I think most winning teams have better fundaments vs their opponents so I don't think this is a real issue.

The biggest skill lacking is just lack of overall talent from smaller numbers. Not much to do about that and it's only going to get worse.

E-sports are coming and will take away cross-training in different sports, leading to less skilled athletes. Again, not much to do about that and it's only going to get worse.

To actually answer the question, I agree the biggest issue is lack of mid range game, probably has been for over 10 years. It seems to have trickled down from the NBA very quickly. Funny thing is Curry is probably the most responsible for the trend yet he has an amazing mid range game to complement his outside shooting.

You use the exact same footwork on the perimeter that you would in the paint. Front Pivot, Inside Pivot, and Drop Step. Your counter to each would be a step-through, sweep & go, or Inside Pivot. The problem is kids don't do these basic things because they're not taught them.

When you said, "Who wants to be drilled on fundamentals and then get creamed by teams." I'm not sure what you're getting at. Would you suggest they get drilled on a bunch of plays and just play 5-on-5 all practice and still get creamed by teams? If these teams/players get drilled on fundamentals and get better each year, they may catch up to these better teams as they get older.

Talent only gets you so far. There are plenty of teams with a lot of talent and will get beaten because they don't do the little things right and think their talent will just carry them through. Fundamentals matter.

The mid-range game has been an answer to this kind of question for a long time. The way the game is being presented now we're in a lay-up/dunk or three-pointer only society. You don't see players running the short corner very often or guys using a high-low from the foul line. There are a few teams around the state that would destroy their opponents with a high-low set (Enderlin) if they committed to it.
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Postby The Schwab » Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:51 am

I'm going to say that the biggest skills that are lacking right now circle back to younger programs (elementary-JH) placing too much emphasis on winning. Skills and Drills should be the main focus of those level programs.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby BasketballMind » Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:10 pm

The Schwab wrote:I'm going to say that the biggest skills that are lacking right now circle back to younger programs (elementary-JH) placing too much emphasis on winning. Skills and Drills should be the main focus of those level programs.

There is definitely a lack of that during the season, and something I think doesn't happen very much anymore is driveway basketball. Kids work on basketball when it's "scheduled basketball time" and you don't just get kids playing in the driveway when the weather is nice or up at an outdoor court if they can't get in a regular gym.
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Postby Sportsrube » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:58 pm

Watched a JH boys game this afternoon - saw 4 different kids jacking up 3's from their waist and saw 2 kids who were legitimate 3 point shooters. Apparently everyone of them had the "green light"!
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby BasketballMind » Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:46 pm

Sportsrube wrote:Watched a JH boys game this afternoon - saw 4 different kids jacking up 3's from their waist and saw 2 kids who were legitimate 3 point shooters. Apparently everyone of them had the "green light"!

And at that age, the coach needs to flat out forbid them from shooting three's unless they can prove in practice and consistently knock down 50% of them without a defender on them and maintain proper form.
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Postby Sportsrube » Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:41 am

BasketballMind wrote:
Sportsrube wrote:Watched a JH boys game this afternoon - saw 4 different kids jacking up 3's from their waist and saw 2 kids who were legitimate 3 point shooters. Apparently everyone of them had the "green light"!

And at that age, the coach needs to flat out forbid them from shooting three's unless they can prove in practice and consistently knock down 50% of them without a defender on them and maintain proper form.

Agreed, two of the kids jacking up 3's did so as their team was making a run to get back into the game on back to back possessions. The other team scored off fast breaks on the long rebounds and it went from a 7 point game to an 11 point game in a blink of an eye and they never got closer than 8 again in the game. A lot of these kids (and HS) kids seem pretty clueless about game situations too.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby BasketballMind » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:14 am

Sportsrube wrote:
Agreed, two of the kids jacking up 3's did so as their team was making a run to get back into the game on back to back possessions. The other team scored off fast breaks on the long rebounds and it went from a 7 point game to an 11 point game in a blink of an eye and they never got closer than 8 again in the game. A lot of these kids (and HS) kids seem pretty clueless about game situations too.

Basketball IQ is something that’s really hard for a coach to “work on” during the season. Some kids have it because of relatives that are into the sport that talk with them about it or some just naturally get it as well. You can give as much knowledge as possible during practices, games, bus trips, etc. but if the players themself don’t seek out some knowledge on their own and have a little natural basketball logic from watching games, it doesn’t always translate.
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Postby Sportsrube » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:51 am

BasketballMind wrote:
Sportsrube wrote:

Basketball IQ is something that’s really hard for a coach to “work on” during the season. Some kids have it because of relatives that are into the sport that talk with them about it or some just naturally get it as well. You can give as much knowledge as possible during practices, games, bus trips, etc. but if the players themself don’t seek out some knowledge on their own and have a little natural basketball logic from watching games, it doesn’t always translate.

True, I also question how many of our players (boys & girls) actually watch basketball. They come to games and spend the entire time on their phones. I used to watch a lot of college basketball on TV with my Dad, learned a lot about the game that way. I would not recommend watching the NBA or even most D1 teams, but watching HS games on BEK or watching D2 or lower D1 teams can be a very good way to increase your basketball IQ.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ndlionsfan » Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:04 am

Sportsrube wrote:
BasketballMind wrote:
Sportsrube wrote:

True, I also question how many of our players (boys & girls) actually watch basketball. They come to games and spend the entire time on their phones. I used to watch a lot of college basketball on TV with my Dad, learned a lot about the game that way. I would not recommend watching the NBA or even most D1 teams, but watching HS games on BEK or watching D2 or lower D1 teams can be a very good way to increase your basketball IQ.

My guess is very, very few and it shows at all levels. The overall knowledge of the game is lacking and kids just don't watch and learn. They are also not out in the driveways and the outdoor courts playing pick up games against their friends. It seems the only basketball played now outside of the season is travelling ball. I feel that is a big reason skills are lacking now as well.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby BasketballMind » Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:09 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:My guess is very, very few and it shows at all levels. The overall knowledge of the game is lacking and kids just don't watch and learn. They are also not out in the driveways and the outdoor courts playing pick up games against their friends. It seems the only basketball played now outside of the season is travelling ball. I feel that is a big reason skills are lacking now as well.

Driveway and pickup basketball seems to be a thing of yesteryear. Most kids that end up as great players spend hours and hours outside playing basketball when they can't get into the gym. Now it's almost like kids/parents think "Well, basketball time is Tuesday/Thursday from 5-7 in the summer" and that's all they do. The kids wouldn't play the other days or other hours of the day.
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Postby B-oldtimer » Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:18 pm

Its not just basketball it used to be that way for other sports too! I think its how kids communicate now more so they are texting not talking in person and when they get together to play something its online over their video games. The kids today are raised much more structurally than we were in the past i believe so because of fear for them being out in public by themselves. In our day we went to neighbors or local parks meet and then we played activity i just don't see that much anymore. Today with both parents working its more where it is structured time to when parents fit it into a schedule. Also back in our day there were just more kids living next door to each other. I had friend tell me when he was growing up even in small town of Langdon on the block he lived there were around 40 kids that played everyday together. Now Langdon has 130 some kids in high school spread out over 1000 square miles so things have changed both in how people live and how close they are to one another.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby vikingman » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:11 pm

Not necessarily a 'skill', but definitely a lacking in 'smarts': I see so many times when a player saves a ball from going out-of-bounds by dumping it right back under the opponent's basket. It happened tonight with Enderlin/Kindred, and resulted in an easy 2 points. My coach went over this (40+ years ago), and it should just be common sense--if you are saving a ball from going out-of-bounds, you want to throw it ANYPLACE but under your opponent's basket--they have better than a 50% chance of getting it, and if they do, they have a good chance at a layup. And, unless it would result in an over-and-back, you should theoretically try to throw it toward your own basket, even if it would be a full-court pass. If your teammate gets it, maybe you get an easy layup, if your opponent gets it, they have to bring it back up-court.
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flip » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:33 pm

If you throw it towards your own basket how could you get an over and back call?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby vikingman » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:45 pm

I stand corrected--that wasn't smart on MY part.
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flip » Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:31 am

Situational awareness. Mainly, end of clock situations.

Example: a few years ago in a girls state semi final game a team was down 3 points in the final seconds. They were taking the ball out on the sideline in the back court. They ran a play that got their best player the ball and she dribbled in and made a layup at the buzzer.

Example 2: region championship a few years back a team is up 13 and the coach's kid jacks up 3 pointer with like 25 seconds on the shot clock with a little over a minute left in the game.

I know from experience that trying to teach kids that the last 1-2 minutes of a close game need to be played differently than the previous 30 is difficult.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby leroybla » Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:14 am

Passing, shooting layups with non-dominant hand.
leroybla
NDPreps All-Conference

Previous

Return to Boys