Boys Opening Night Discussion

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Boys Opening Night Discussion

Postby BasketballMind » Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:44 am

A decent amount of games played last night. Anyone have anything they noticed from watching their respective streams or being there live?

I watched most of the NB and Northern Cass game and the Kindred HCV game.

I think the home schools are going to need to prioritize music during timeouts, breaks, etc to keep the energy in the gym up as long as we have limited crowds. During timeouts, some form of white noise will help maintain some normalcy. There are plenty of resources on youtube called "crowd noise".

You can hear the coaches talking during timeouts if the camera is close enough to them. The NB and NC game was very obvious as the camera was behind the benches. It felt like you were watching a summer open gym where the coaches were allowed to be there at times. As conference games get going, if we maintain limited fans, something needs to change.

The camera operators are also going to need to learn how to anticipate where the ball is going to be. There were multiple times in the Kindred-HCV game where the ball would be passed up the floor and the camera operator would miss the entire play. I hope each individual school is still bringing someone to record for them to have a good copy of the video.

Also, don't overreact to games being played in December/January. Everyone is working to be hitting their stride in March.
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Re: Boys Opening Night Discussion

Postby Sportsrube » Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:05 am

Somebody remind me again of a good site to check scores and box scores of HS games. I really with the daily papers would return to their old ways of printing them (and I realize that many coaches no longer call them into the papers).
Thanks in advance for posting sites.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby vikingman » Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:07 am

vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Postby vikingman » Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:15 am

'The camera operators are also going to need to learn how to anticipate where the ball is going to be.'

NFHS cameras and some others as well are robotic--no person is moving the camera. They have a software algorithm that follows the action. Doesn't always work - especially if most players are on one end of the court and the ball and one or two players is at the other end.
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Postby Sportsrube » Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:47 pm

vikingman wrote:http://northdakota-scores.net/scoreboard.php?yid=2021&sport=101

Thank you! I had it bookmarked and when I was given a new computer, most of my bookmarks did not transfer.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby BasketballMind » Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:07 pm

vikingman wrote:'The camera operators are also going to need to learn how to anticipate where the ball is going to be.'

NFHS cameras and some others as well are robotic--no person is moving the camera. They have a software algorithm that follows the action. Doesn't always work - especially if most players are on one end of the court and the ball and one or two players is at the other end.

NFHS are usually pretty good, I just don't like watching a game without commentary. Wish they'd work in a deal with the local radio to broadcast something during the game from the website. But individual schools that are doing it are going to need to find a reliable operator since NFHS or other companies with a similar setup that aren't able to be there.
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:45 pm

Sportsrube wrote:
vikingman wrote:http://northdakota-scores.net/scoreboard.php?yid=2021&sport=101

Thank you! I had it bookmarked and when I was given a new computer, most of my bookmarks did not transfer.

On nights where I may be at a game this site will be delayed a bit; on nights where I am home this site will update quickly.

Most active time frame for updating is from 10p - Midnight
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby The Schwab » Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:28 pm

BasketballMind wrote:
vikingman wrote:'The camera operators are also going to need to learn how to anticipate where the ball is going to be.'

NFHS are usually pretty good, I just don't like watching a game without commentary. Wish they'd work in a deal with the local radio to broadcast something during the game from the website. But individual schools that are doing it are going to need to find a reliable operator since NFHS or other companies with a similar setup that aren't able to be there.

Schools that have NFHS can have the radio feed with it, all the broadcaster has to do is plug in.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby sportsphenom » Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:53 pm

I watched the LaMoure L-M vs. Sargent County via LaMoure's youtube channel. LaMoure installed a camera system that follows the movement of the players, kept up pretty well, better than a kid running an Ipad, I'm not sure what system they put in but seems to be pretty top notch. The stream also had a pop-up scoreboard in the corner of the screen, nice feature.
sportsphenom
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby BasketballMind » Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:06 pm

The Schwab wrote:
BasketballMind wrote:

Schools that have NFHS can have the radio feed with it, all the broadcaster has to do is plug in.

I hope they all make it a point of emphasis to do that this year. It's very awkward watching a varsity game without commentary.
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Postby packers21 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:27 pm

Kindred has to be the biggest surprise, not that they beat HCV, but that absolute throttling that was handled out. HCV is a good team, but if Kindred can shoot the ball like that they will be playing Saturday night at the B not Enderlin.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:22 pm

Side Note: Enderlin was without Gus Hurlburt on Monday night...I'm not sure that game goes to OT with him on the floor.

Kindred did look good vs. HCV; throttled them out of the gate!

Oak Grove shot well but was VERY sloppy vs. a vastly improved Valley City team (they'll get a few wins in Class A this year and could push a middle tier team).
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby lennylive » Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:02 am

Run4Fun2009 wrote:Side Note: Enderlin was without Gus Hurlburt on Monday night...I'm not sure that game goes to OT with him on the floor.

Oak Grove shot well but was VERY sloppy vs. a vastly improved Valley City team (they'll get a few wins in Class A this year and could push a middle tier team).

Enderlin looked very flat the 1st half of that game..luckily H/N was also.. with or without Gus, that game should have not went into OT.... they did not look like a #2 team at all... give them cred for coming from being down by 10 and winning it.. but they have room for improvement.. granted 1st game jitters...missing Gus and having a bad night of shooting made the game what it was
I watch the Kindred game on youtube... I agree they looked solid..all around..every player ..great hustle..more than 1 guy hitting the boards big guys played inside where they need to be..and yes HCV is down on talent..but that was a throttling.. had Kindred not shot poorly at the end of that game..it would have been a HUGE blowout
Eagles have their work cut out(playing like they did) by the time they face Kindred..last game of the season..probably going to determine who is seated #1 and #2 in Regional..just like last year
lennylive
NDPreps Starter

Postby maddog1971 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:24 am

lennylive wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:Side Note: Enderlin was without Gus Hurlburt on Monday night...I'm not sure that game goes to OT with him on the floor.

Enderlin looked very flat the 1st half of that game..luckily H/N was also.. with or without Gus, that game should have not went into OT.... they did not look like a #2 team at all... give them cred for coming from being down by 10 and winning it.. but they have room for improvement.. granted 1st game jitters...missing Gus and having a bad night of shooting made the game what it was
I watch the Kindred game on youtube... I agree they looked solid..all around..every player ..great hustle..more than 1 guy hitting the boards big guys played inside where they need to be..and yes HCV is down on talent..but that was a throttling.. had Kindred not shot poorly at the end of that game..it would have been a HUGE blowout
Eagles have their work cut out(playing like they did) by the time they face Kindred..last game of the season..probably going to determine who is seated #1 and #2 in Regional..just like last year

HCV is a way better team then they played but Kindred has some serious defense... Long and athletic and anyone not playing defense sits down.
I think the two big dunks by Olson in the first few minutes of the game kept HCV down and Kindred got lots of energy from that.
Enderlin is still the team to beat and with Gus back will make the difference.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby ND Basketball Fan » Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:58 am

Comments on what I have seen so far:
Kindred is going to be a very tough team to beat - Strong defense and explosive plays. Can't key on one player.
Hillsboro - Didn't look good at all! Lost a lot of players from last year. Looks like it might be a couple of years before they reload.
Rugby - Looks very talented and strong.
Oak Grove - They are going to be a scrappy team but inconsistent guard play will be tough to overcome - Too many turnovers and guards want to dribble the ball instead of pass the ball up.
W/L is going to be an entertaining team to watch - Could surprise some teams this year in Region play.

Region 1 is going to be strong - Whomever comes out of this Region has a great chance on playing Saturday night.
ND Basketball Fan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby vikingman » Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:50 pm

" I just don't like watching a game without commentary. "

And what's really bad is when there is no play-by-play AND no scoreboard ! You turn the game on after it has started and you have no idea what the game situation is.
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:26 pm

Kindred looked good vs. Northern Cass tonight 65-32
Enderlin was healthy and throttled Lisbon 79-41

Top Game of the Night had #1 Four Winds-Minnewaukan holding on to beat #5 Beulah 64-60
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Return to Boys