Livestreams

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Livestreams

Postby chickenwings2008 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:23 am

I know with attendance restrictions schools have been really getting into livestreams so people can watch from any location. I also know many of us would like to know how to watch other action across the state as well.

Those that have a livestream on a youtube channel need 1,000 (or more) subscribers to access all of the benefits youtube offers. Like many of you, I'd love to help out any school get these benefits. All you need is a gmail account.

Please list your school's livestream preference (youtube, NFHS etc.) and help others have access to your events. At the very least we will have a little more insight from other regions across the state as we head into winter sports! And at best you will help other schools reach their livestream goals!

Here is my school:

North Border Eagles - youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjSNWPuJih96JMxhdAhL-kQ
Last edited by chickenwings2008 on Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
chickenwings2008
NDPreps Reserve

Re: Livestreams

Postby chickenwings2008 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:32 am

chickenwings2008
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:53 am

Region 1 Listing (a few missing); Oak Grove will have a link...just not listed yet

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Eo5fpgdWMAEP3YJ?format=jpg&name=large

I sure hope that link works
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby imjustafan » Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:05 am

imjustafan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby sportsphenom » Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:14 pm

sportsphenom
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby BasketballMind » Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:15 pm

BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Postby vikingman » Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:44 pm

Most schools seem to be on NFHS network. For some reason, I was able to watch Enderlin/HN even though I cancelled my subscription. Then again, you get what you pay for--the scoreboard was completely off, as is so often the case with NFHS.
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flip » Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:17 pm

vikingman wrote:Most schools seem to be on NFHS network. For some reason, I was able to watch Enderlin/HN even though I cancelled my subscription. Then again, you get what you pay for--the scoreboard was completely off, as is so often the case with NFHS.

A lot of NFHS streams are free this winter.
I watched the from about mid 3rd quarter to the end.
Last edited by Flip on Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby vikingman » Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:33 pm

Commendable on their part -- they could have made a fortune this winter.
Last edited by vikingman on Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Postby chickenwings2008 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:47 pm

I was told some schools are paying the cost to stream their events on NFHS for free. Other schools choose to have viewers subscribe for streaming. So, it will depend on the school.
chickenwings2008
NDPreps Reserve

Postby defensewinsgames » Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:50 am

chickenwings2008 wrote:I was told some schools are paying the cost to stream their events on NFHS for free. Other schools choose to have viewers subscribe for streaming. So, it will depend on the school.

Are you able to watch these games without signing up for an account? I looked at it this morning for upcoming games and it wouldn't let me look at anything without signing up for an account which of course wanted me to pick a plan and pay.
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby d_fense » Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:29 pm

chickenwings2008 wrote:I was told some schools are paying the cost to stream their events on NFHS for free. Other schools choose to have viewers subscribe for streaming. So, it will depend on the school.

I was told, by someone that I think knows what they are talking about, that all region 2 schools agreed that they would make all games available online for free to accommodate all fans because of limited attendance. The platform they choose does not matter, it just must be free.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby BasketballMind » Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:44 am

d_fense wrote:

I was told, by someone that I think knows what they are talking about, that all region 2 schools agreed that they would make all games available online for free to accommodate all fans because of limited attendance. The platform they choose does not matter, it just must be free.

Anyone can sign up and use NFHS through a Region 2 school that uses it. Those that aren't on NFHS have their own streaming service on YouTube as far as I know. North Border has "North Border Live Stream", Hillsboro-Central Valley has "Your Live Event", I don't know if any other schools aren't on NFHS, but those two are schools that I have watched on YouTube.
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Postby vikingman » Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:53 pm

NFHS really needs to improve their scoreboard--it's been plain laughable in some of the games this week. The clock is consistently 5 seconds behind (admittedly not a major problem). The scores and quarter indicators can be so far off you have no idea what's going on if you have just joined in to a game in the second half. In the CC/New Rockford game, the quarter indicator was showing 7, 07, 8 on occasion. The NR score was going up, then down, then up. Other games that I've watched have had similar problems.

In the final seconds of the game, the score showed 56-52. Then NRS hits a 3-pointer and the scoreboard changes to 56-56. No way of knowing if that was correct or not. It ended up 56-55, but even in post-game, the scoreboard showed 56-56.
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:45 pm

Anyone else having issues with NFHS streamed games constantly buffering? Have tried to watch many and it's almost useless. It's not just my internet either as many people I have talked to have the same problem in other towns as well. Thinking about cancelling my subscription its so bad.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:09 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:Anyone else having issues with NFHS streamed games constantly buffering? Have tried to watch many and it's almost useless. It's not just my internet either as many people I have talked to have the same problem in other towns as well. Thinking about cancelling my subscription its so bad.

It's been bad.
Can't stand not knowing the score either. I know our school complained about the score issue and I think for the most part it is fixed. I don't know what they did, but you would think they would do it to all their cameras/scoreboards. I'm not impressed with the quality either.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:01 pm

I can’t even get the videos to go to the end so I can get the finals
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby vikingman » Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:48 am

there are ways of taking data directly from the scoreboard and incorporating it in to a video stream, but NFHS is apparently using a type of optical character recognition method that just isn't very accurate. In the CC vs NR-S game, there was one set of number lights that was getting confused--it couldn't tell a 1 from a 7, etc. Maybe there was a bulb or two burned out on the scoreboard, or maybe the camera was at an angle that couldn't get a precise view. Whatever the reason, they need to come up with a fix if they want to be taken seriously.

Another problem I have with NFHS is when there are multiple games, back-to-back. They will be listed as separate streams, but because of some games going long, you end up with a JV game being shown under a Varsity listing. This isn't the fault of NFHS, I just wish the schools would be able to adjust the timing/listing to make things match up.
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Postby vikingman » Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:49 pm

Are the games in Jamestown tomorrow going to be streamed by anyone?
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Postby BasketballMind » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:52 am

vikingman wrote:there are ways of taking data directly from the scoreboard and incorporating it in to a video stream, but NFHS is apparently using a type of optical character recognition method that just isn't very accurate. In the CC vs NR-S game, there was one set of number lights that was getting confused--it couldn't tell a 1 from a 7, etc. Maybe there was a bulb or two burned out on the scoreboard, or maybe the camera was at an angle that couldn't get a precise view. Whatever the reason, they need to come up with a fix if they want to be taken seriously.

Another problem I have with NFHS is when there are multiple games, back-to-back. They will be listed as separate streams, but because of some games going long, you end up with a JV game being shown under a Varsity listing. This isn't the fault of NFHS, I just wish the schools would be able to adjust the timing/listing to make things match up.

That happens a lot if they start with JH games and go right in C/JV/Varsity. A weird thing that happens too is that sometimes one stream will "end" and the next one will start 15-20 minutes prior to the end point of the previous stream.
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Postby vikingman » Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:04 pm

after watching another worthless stream on NFHS last night, I googled 'NFHS Network not cool', and wouldn't you know, there's a Twitter account with that name!
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Postby packers21 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:11 pm

vikingman wrote:after watching another worthless stream on NFHS last night, I googled 'NFHS Network not cool', and wouldn't you know, there's a Twitter account with that name!

I have had zero problems with NFHS all season, its been great for me. Its weird to see everyone else complaining about it. I bet I watch 5-10 games a day on it.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby vikingman » Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:21 pm

I guess you can't use the word 's**ks' on this site.

I don't have problems with the video itself, but the scoreboards continue to be worthless, and with no play-by-play, you then have no clue as to the game situation.

Hudl's setup (at least at C Cass) gives a PIP scoreboard that is accurate.
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:16 pm

packers21 wrote:
vikingman wrote:after watching another worthless stream on NFHS last night, I googled 'NFHS Network not cool', and wouldn't you know, there's a Twitter account with that name!

I have had zero problems with NFHS all season, its been great for me. Its weird to see everyone else complaining about it. I bet I watch 5-10 games a day on it.

I can never get the videos to work...I tried for the first month but cannot afford it right now
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby BasketballMind » Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:59 am

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
packers21 wrote:

I can never get the videos to work...I tried for the first month but cannot afford it right now

I seem to notice the scoreboard and clock are way off from the actual score. Last night during the HCV-MM game, the clock read OT4 during the second quarter. The score read 13-3 for Midway-Minto when it was a 5-6 point HCV lead and they were in the 20's at the time. At times the clock would show something like 73 seconds when there was 2-3 minutes to go.

Maybe that's on the ones running it, maybe it's a coincidence. It's happened in boys and girls streams where if you can't get a look at the scoreboard in the actual gym, you'll be guessing. I can get over no commentary, but time and score are kind of important when you're watching a game.

Edit: Spelling
Last edited by BasketballMind on Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Next

Return to Boys