2020-21 Pre-Season Talk

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: 2020-21 Pre-Season Talk

Postby maddog1971 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:57 pm

urserious wrote:
maddog1971 wrote:Basically... except I think that Unlike Football.... smaller schools with a 5 good players beat bigger schools any day of the week. It only take 5.

Ok, now that we’re onto basketball and Kindred is a big school numbers don’t matter again. Gotcha!

I said many times that in Football I think it is a very big deal and in Basketball, I don't think it is as big. The bigger schools do have an advantage every year but I still think 5 good players from a small school and beat a big school any day of the week.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby vikingman » Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:26 pm

For quite a few years, North Star had great teams with VERY little depth on the bench. In the double-overtime 2014 region championship vs 4 Winds, North Star used one sub in the 42 minutes, and that only because a starter fouled out with about a minute left in regulation. I think Four Winds had 10 players with significant minutes. Their second 5 would have killed NS's second five, but they still weren't as good as the 4 Wind starters. I've always thought they would have been better off playing FEWER players in that game (not that I'm complaining -- it was one of the most memorable games in Cando/NS history).
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flip » Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:55 pm

vikingman wrote:For quite a few years, North Star had great teams with VERY little depth on the bench. In the double-overtime 2014 region championship vs 4 Winds, North Star used one sub in the 42 minutes, and that only because a starter fouled out with about a minute left in regulation. I think Four Winds had 10 players with significant minutes. Their second 5 would have killed NS's second five, but they still weren't as good as the 4 Wind starters. I've always thought they would have been better off playing FEWER players in that game (not that I'm complaining -- it was one of the most memorable games in Cando/NS history).

In 2009 Linton won the state title with hockey-style shifts. I had a coach tell me that hurt them the following year when they tried to do it again. They weren't getting their best players on the court enough.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby packers21 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:16 pm

Flip wrote:
vikingman wrote:For quite a few years, North Star had great teams with VERY little depth on the bench. In the double-overtime 2014 region championship vs 4 Winds, North Star used one sub in the 42 minutes, and that only because a starter fouled out with about a minute left in regulation. I think Four Winds had 10 players with significant minutes. Their second 5 would have killed NS's second five, but they still weren't as good as the 4 Wind starters. I've always thought they would have been better off playing FEWER players in that game (not that I'm complaining -- it was one of the most memorable games in Cando/NS history).

In 2009 Linton won the state title with hockey-style shifts. I had a coach tell me that hurt them the following year when they tried to do it again. They weren't getting their best players on the court enough.

Haha “Linton”
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:49 am

The flip side was that FW-M had twice the fouls to give. This allowed them to play very physical and wear down the opponent. They would start subbing early in the game and about midway through the 3rd quarter, the fresher legs of their starters generally won out.
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Postby justplayalready » Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:19 am

Edited**

Flip wrote:

In 2009 Linton won the state title with hockey-style shifts. I had a coach tell me that hurt them the following year when they tried to do it again. They weren't getting other schools best players on the court enough.
justplayalready
NDPreps All-State

Postby The Schwab » Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:03 pm

Here are my thoughts on the upcoming season:

Region by Region breakdown of who I think could make the state tournament (pending everyone healthy and able to play at tourney time)

Region 1- Enderlin- I think they are as close a sure thing as you can have, but it's high school ball in ND. If it's not them Kindred or Oak Grove. My confidence in Enderlin is 90%.
Region 2- North Border, Grafton, HN and HCV. IMO a very close region, if the new player for NB is there the whole season I'd say my confidence in North Border is 45% (followed by 35%, 10%, 10%)
Region 3- Linton-HMB and Oakes, there are some other good teams here, but I'd say these two are who I'd bet on: Linton 65%, Oakes 35%
Region 4- Four Winds-Minnewauken, see Region 1 explanation but I think Region 1 is a deeper than 4, 95% FWM, 5% LEM
Region 5- Bismarck SC, lost a ton, but will represent this region at state. 95% confidence
Region 6- Rugby, Minot OR, Minot BR, Drake-Annamoose, I will be pulling for DA. Confidence in order I listed them (40, 25, 25, 10)
Region 7- Dickinson Trinity and Beulah. Dickinson Trinity heavy favorite IMO, but I didn't think Beulah would beat them last year and I was wrong on that one. 75% Dickinson, 25% Beulah
Region 8- White Shield, a few others could contend here. I'll say White Shield with 80% confidence.

Other predictions-
1. Linton-HMB goes to state and coach Dan Carr retires after a remarkable career.
2. Jesse White leads White Shield to the state tournament and they are the darling of the tournament.
3. Enderlin is the tallest class B team ever, gets out of region 1 and makes the state title game.
4. Region 2 is the talk of class B basketball this year for a few different reasons
5. FWM plays a brutal schedule and is battle tested for state. will play Enderlin for the state title.
6. Dickinson Trinity and Beulah will have 1 combined regional game decided by less than 10 points (not counting when they play each other)
7. Region 5 will have some great stories this year, but Bismarck SC will still represent this region at state.
8. Region 6 will have the closest semi-final matchups this year.
9. Lucas Schumacher and Jesse White will be 2 Mr. Bball Finalists for B and will meet in the 7th and 8th place game at state.
10. Each school at the state tournament will be allowed 100 tickets to sell, no other fans outside of the 800 from the tickets the school sells will be allowed and we still won't be able to watch the Friday and Saturday afternoon games on TV.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:08 pm

The Schwab wrote:Here are my thoughts on the upcoming season:

Region by Region breakdown of who I think could make the state tournament (pending everyone healthy and able to play at tourney time)

Region 1- Enderlin- I think they are as close a sure thing as you can have, but it's high school ball in ND. If it's not them Kindred or Oak Grove. My confidence in Enderlin is 90%.
Region 2- North Border, Grafton, HN and HCV. IMO a very close region, if the new player for NB is there the whole season I'd say my confidence in North Border is 45% (followed by 35%, 10%, 10%)
Region 3- Linton-HMB and Oakes, there are some other good teams here, but I'd say these two are who I'd bet on: Linton 65%, Oakes 35%
Region 4- Four Winds-Minnewauken, see Region 1 explanation but I think Region 1 is a deeper than 4, 95% FWM, 5% LEM
Region 5- Bismarck SC, lost a ton, but will represent this region at state. 95% confidence
Region 6- Rugby, Minot OR, Minot BR, Drake-Annamoose, I will be pulling for DA. Confidence in order I listed them (40, 25, 25, 10)
Region 7- Dickinson Trinity and Beulah. Dickinson Trinity heavy favorite IMO, but I didn't think Beulah would beat them last year and I was wrong on that one. 75% Dickinson, 25% Beulah
Region 8- White Shield, a few others could contend here. I'll say White Shield with 80% confidence.

Other predictions-
1. Linton-HMB goes to state and coach Dan Carr retires after a remarkable career.
2. Jesse White leads White Shield to the state tournament and they are the darling of the tournament.
3. Enderlin is the tallest class B team ever, gets out of region 1 and makes the state title game.
4. Region 2 is the talk of class B basketball this year for a few different reasons
5. FWM plays a brutal schedule and is battle tested for state. will play Enderlin for the state title.
6. Dickinson Trinity and Beulah will have 1 combined regional game decided by less than 10 points (not counting when they play each other)
7. Region 5 will have some great stories this year, but Bismarck SC will still represent this region at state.
9. Lucas Schumacher and Jesse White will be 2 Mr. Bball Finalists for B and will meet in the 7th and 8th place game at state.
10. Each school at the state tournament will be allowed 100 tickets to sell, no other fans outside of the 800 from the tickets the school sells will be allowed and we still won't be able to watch the Friday and Saturday afternoon games on TV.

That is very likely true which is sad...how hard is it to have someone stream the games; I'd take no PbP...just the games
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Flying Wallenda » Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:31 am

Other predictions-

The new kid in NB will need to be stellar for them to get past Grafton IMO - the Spoilers are super legit.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby packers21 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:20 am

Flying Wallenda wrote:

Other predictions-

The new kid in NB will need to be stellar for them to get past Grafton IMO - the Spoilers are super legit.

Didn’t NB beat Grafton last year ? Honest question, to lazy to go look it up.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flying Wallenda » Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:57 am

packers21 wrote:
Flying Wallenda wrote:

Other predictions-

Not sure? I know Grafton got 3rd in region and didn’t lose a player. Have Garza back who’s a stud, maybe best player in region. Defend very hard.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby packers21 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:14 am

Flying Wallenda wrote:
packers21 wrote:
Flying Wallenda wrote:

Other predictions-

Not sure? I know Grafton got 3rd in region and didn’t lose a player. Have Garza back who’s a stud, maybe best player in region. Defend very hard.

I checked NB beat them 73-66 in Walhalla. I agree with you on Grafton they are the Fav IMO but NB is right there. Garza is a stud I personally think Konshock is better of the two. Grafton will always play great Man D that keeps them relevant in the post season.
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:27 pm

If the EGF kid is at NB and playing...it’ll be a quality upgrade and will definitely help NB close the gap.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby muley14 » Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:58 am

The Schwab wrote:3. Enderlin is the tallest class B team ever, gets out of region 1 and makes the state title game.

I'd have to guess the MPCG teams on the mid 90s would be the tallest. I don't remember how tall they got but pretty sure they didn't start anyone under 6'5".

But yes I believe Enderlin should be playing on a Saturday night in March.
muley14
NDPreps Starter

Postby The Schwab » Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:42 am

muley14 wrote:
The Schwab wrote:3. Enderlin is the tallest class B team ever, gets out of region 1 and makes the state title game.

I'd have to guess the MPCG teams on the mid 90s would be the tallest. I don't remember how tall they got but pretty sure they didn't start anyone under 6'5".

Yes you are right on that one, I'll change it to "one of the tallest teams", Starting 6'10", 6'8", 6'5" is pretty impressive
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:12 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:If the EGF kid is at NB and playing...it’ll be a quality upgrade and will definitely help NB close the gap.

In all honesty, why did this kid go to North Border?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby packers21 » Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:19 pm

Flip wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:If the EGF kid is at NB and playing...it’ll be a quality upgrade and will definitely help NB close the gap.

Is MN playing winter sports?
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:51 pm

muley14 wrote:

I remember them having 2 starters 6'7" (LeClair and Klabo), 2 at 6'6" (Other Klabo and Kraft), and 1 at 6'5" (Jacobson). Possibly have a couple mixed up on heights at that time, but pretty close.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:55 pm

packers21 wrote:
Flip wrote:

Probably, but why North Border over say Thompson or CV?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby packers21 » Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:11 pm

Flip wrote:
packers21 wrote:
Flip wrote:

I think they have some close friends in that area. I also think they got jobs up there and have moved.
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:12 pm

Flip wrote:
packers21 wrote:
Flip wrote:

No idea why he chose NB other than knowing friends there...remember Fall sports in MN weren't going to happen in MN right away and then they switched to a season while ND was halfway done with our season. MN will likely have a winter season but it will be severely delayed (starting either January 4th or January 18th)
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby maddog1971 » Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:49 pm

The Schwab wrote:
muley14 wrote:

Yes you are right on that one, I'll change it to "one of the tallest teams", Starting 6'10", 6'8", 6'5" is pretty impressive

I believe 6'5" grew to 6'7"
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flip » Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:54 pm

packers21 wrote:I think they have some close friends in that area. I also think they got jobs up there and have moved.

That makes sense. Thank you.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby urserious » Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:43 pm

Picks

Region 1 - Enderlin is the favorite to win the region and the state. I do think that Kindred, Northern Cass and Oak Grove all have the potential to beat them.

Region 2 - Grafton and North Border just got a lot closer, still leaning with Grafton but it will be close. HCV and HN could pull off the upsets.

Region 3 - Oakes probably the toughest region to call. Linton, SZ, EKM all have potential.

Region 4 - FWM, LEM will be the sacrificial lamb.

Region 5 - Bismarck some potential for an upset Wilton-Wing , Wasburn and New Salem could all contend

Region 6- Welstad put Rugby over the top, hes a scoring machine. Drake-Annamoose and the Minot teams could pull off an upset. DLB is the state biggest dark horse.

Region 7 - Dickinson beat Beulah 50/50 but going with DT @ home

Region 8 - White Shield and Jesse White beat Powers Lake

Senior Athetes
Region 1 - Crockett
Region 2- Konchack
Region 3 - Schumaker
Region 4 - Walters
Region 5 - Berg-This was the hardest to predict for me
Region 6 - Bundy-Smith -Welstad is better but the move hurts him
Region 7- Duffield
Region 8- White

Darkhorse in each region, team that I think will "upset" one of the top dogs.
Region 1 - WL
Region 2 - DVE
Region 3 - Griggs-Midkota
Region 4 - North Star
Region 5- Central Mclean
Region 6- DLB they are going to be legit
Region 7- HS or GU
Region 8 - Parshall

Tidbits
Region 1 is the deepest and tallest region in the state
Grafton is ranked number 1 at some point during the season
Enderlin plays FWM in the late game Saturday night
Each team gets 250 tickets, arena cleared and cleaned after each game
State find a way to stream all games
NB wins 20 for the first time in a long time
I think there is a chance no parochial schools make the tourney, do know if I have ever thought that before. Four could also easily make it!
urserious
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:03 pm

maddog1971 wrote:
The Schwab wrote:
muley14 wrote:

I believe 6'5" grew to 6'7"

Well according to Enderlin's NDHSAA Team Page (https://ndhsaanow.com/teams/basketball-boys/1447) looks like 6'10", 6'8" & 6'5"...Coach Kraft always puts legit heights online
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

PreviousNext

Return to Boys