2020-21 Pre-Season Talk

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: 2020-21 Pre-Season Talk

Postby maddog1971 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:18 am

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
maddog1971 wrote:
The Schwab wrote:
muley14 wrote:
The Schwab wrote:3. Enderlin is the tallest class B team ever, gets out of region 1 and makes the state title game.

I'd have to guess the MPCG teams on the mid 90s would be the tallest. I don't remember how tall they got but pretty sure they didn't start anyone under 6'5".

But yes I believe Enderlin should be playing on a Saturday night in March.

Yes you are right on that one, I'll change it to "one of the tallest teams", Starting 6'10", 6'8", 6'5" is pretty impressive

I believe 6'5" grew to 6'7"

Well according to Enderlin's NDHSAA Team Page (https://ndhsaanow.com/teams/basketball-boys/1447) looks like 6'10", 6'8" & 6'5"...Coach Kraft always puts legit heights online

Max Preps has him as 6'6... so that is where I got my info.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby maddog1971 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:17 pm

Looks like my thoughts on Central Cass might be correct... They even got votes this week for the top 10 in the state.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:05 pm

maddog1971 wrote:Looks like my thoughts on Central Cass might be correct... They even got votes this week for the top 10 in the state.

They’ve received votes for the past few polls.

Good test tonight for them hosting Oak Grove.
Region 1 has 5 quality teams...really interested to see who those breakout middle tier teams are going to be.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby maddog1971 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:51 pm

and Central Cass takes down Oak Grove.... Glad Central Cass has nothing returning this year to help them win.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:23 pm

maddog1971 wrote:and Central Cass takes down Oak Grove.... Glad Central Cass has nothing returning this year to help them win.

Did I say that? I don’t think I’ve ever said anything like that. Remember my ranking to start this topic...I’d flip Kindred & CC now

Run4Fun2009 wrote:Region 1
Enderlin
Central Cass
Kindred
Oak Grove
Northern Cass

after that...not sure

OG was a little undermanned but handled it well with two sophomores and a seldom used senior stepping up.
No one...absolutely no one shot well; A building was built by both teams last night.
CC hit the big shots when they needed to and they pulled away late.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby leroybla » Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:42 pm

Central Cass got big minutes from two freshmen (Holzer and Vrchota, as well as two sophs (Kobbervig and Bosse). They have another good freshman on the bench in Cruchet. Solid player with lots of energy. Follows his shots.
leroybla
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby B Historian » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:05 pm

I really like what I see from Kindred. They are tough to score on and those types of teams usually go a long way at tournament time. They also have the size to match up with Enderlin.

I've also watched Enderlin twice. Lots of size and talent but they turn the ball over too much and don't play that hard on the defensive end. Too many technical fouls and complaining to the refs as well. They will have to figure those issues out if they want to make the state tournament and advance once there. If I had to pick right now I would lean towards Kindred in Region 1.
B Historian
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby maddog1971 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:58 am

packers21 wrote:
maddog1971 wrote:I am a region 1 guy...

Enderlin is the Favorite. We all know about the Twins and the size and skill level. They don't just have those two players but at least 2 others that are extremely talented players as well.
CC brings lots back and they can win on any given night.
Kindred is Big and the most athletic team in the region. They don't have a ton of experience back but they can guard, run and rip down some rims this year ( 6"10, 6"5, 6"5,6"4, 6"4,6"3)
Oak Grove seems to always be one of the Top teams in the region no matter who they have on the team.
NC... You never know... Talent but how does it get used.

CC bring back alot? And man NC must of done something wrong to you in the past bc you are a hater

I got blasted for my comments on here about CC... All I have to say is they are now rated in the top 10 in state..... So region on has 3 rated teams in the top 10.....
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:18 pm

CC was a bit of an unknown coming into the season because of their lack of Varsity experience but they’ve started out well...a lot of big R1 games to come.

The quoted question is far from ‘being blasted’ about CC as many of us thought the same thing (I figured they’d have the shooters around Dixon, who I like as a quality post).

I would think you were blasted because you lacked any info on NC (who is struggling right now with the exception of Crockett).
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby packers21 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:18 pm

maddog1971 wrote:
packers21 wrote:
maddog1971 wrote:I am a region 1 guy...

Enderlin is the Favorite. We all know about the Twins and the size and skill level. They don't just have those two players but at least 2 others that are extremely talented players as well.
CC brings lots back and they can win on any given night.
Kindred is Big and the most athletic team in the region. They don't have a ton of experience back but they can guard, run and rip down some rims this year ( 6"10, 6"5, 6"5,6"4, 6"4,6"3)
Oak Grove seems to always be one of the Top teams in the region no matter who they have on the team.
NC... You never know... Talent but how does it get used.

CC bring back alot? And man NC must of done something wrong to you in the past bc you are a hater

I got blasted for my comments on here about CC... All I have to say is they are now rated in the top 10 in state..... So region on has 3 rated teams in the top 10.....

I “blasted” you bc you said they bring back a lot. Not bc I didn’t think they were any good. If you want me to go back again and quote all the times you’ve been off or hypocritical, I’d be happy to do so.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby maddog1971 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:29 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:CC was a bit of an unknown coming into the season because of their lack of Varsity experience but they’ve started out well...a lot of big R1 games to come.

The quoted question is far from ‘being blasted’ about CC as many of us thought the same thing (I figured they’d have the shooters around Dixon, who I like as a quality post).

I would think you were blasted because you lacked any info on NC (who is struggling right now with the exception of Crockett).

I thought NC would be better than what they are. Lots of season left but getting blasted by Kindred and they having to hit a last second shot to beat Sargent County.... well something is not right. and Yes Crocket is a great player and fun to watch.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby BasketballMind » Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:07 pm

maddog1971 wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:CC was a bit of an unknown coming into the season because of their lack of Varsity experience but they’ve started out well...a lot of big R1 games to come.

I thought NC would be better than what they are. Lots of season left but getting blasted by Kindred and they having to hit a last second shot to beat Sargent County.... well something is not right. and Yes Crocket is a great player and fun to watch.

Kindred is "blasting" a lot of teams. They're 5-0 and have not had anyone within 20 points of them. In my opinion after Enderlin and Four Winds, the next best teams in the state right now is Kindred. They are a match-up nightmare for the majority of their opponents. Every team has peaks and valleys and NC is no different. They're currently 4-3 with two losses against teams we could easily see at the state tournament, Kindred and North Border. Losing to Midway-Minto isn't an indictment of a bad team either, the Mustangs have a solid group of kids and two of the better scorers in R2 right now. It does seem that you relish the opportunity to point out anything negative toward Northern Cass.
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Postby maddog1971 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:17 pm

I think you call it being childish on my part.... Doing the I TOLD YOU So.......

Again... Let's just be happy the kids are playing ball...

But I was also right about Shiloh not being very good this years as well.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby lennylive » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:23 am

BasketballMind wrote:
maddog1971 wrote:

Kindred is "blasting" a lot of teams. They're 5-0 and have not had anyone within 20 points of them. In my opinion after Enderlin and Four Winds, the next best teams in the state right now is Kindred. They are a match-up nightmare for the majority of their opponents. Every team has peaks and valleys and NC is no different. They're currently 4-3 with two losses against teams we could easily see at the state tournament, Kindred and North Border. Losing to Midway-Minto isn't an indictment of a bad team either, the Mustangs have a solid group of kids and two of the better scorers in R2 right now. It does seem that you relish the opportunity to point out anything negative toward Northern Cass.

Curious why Kindreds game was so close with Lisbon? Not trying to take away from Lisbon..but Enderlin Dominated the Broncos..I was thinking Kindred wouldve done the same? Foul trouble?..did they just have a poor offensive outing?... missing players?
lennylive
NDPreps Starter

Postby hoophoophoop » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:40 am

Seems to me the whole state his kind of down from previous years from what I have been watching, still early I guess.
hoophoophoop
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby packers21 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:50 am

lennylive wrote:
BasketballMind wrote:
maddog1971 wrote:

Curious why Kindreds game was so close with Lisbon? Not trying to take away from Lisbon..but Enderlin Dominated the Broncos..I was thinking Kindred wouldve done the same? Foul trouble?..did they just have a poor offensive outing?... missing players?

Might be an injury
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ND Sports Fan » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:00 am

maddog1971 wrote:I think you call it being childish on my part.... Doing the I TOLD YOU So.......

Again... Let's just be happy the kids are playing ball...

But I was also right about Shiloh not being very good this years as well.

Am I reading this right, maddog wants us all to bend a knee because you thought CC might be in the mix in Region 1 . . . . . . .

My "blasting" as you call it had to do with questioning your "CC returns a lot". I simply questioned your insight into CC. In 2019-20, CC played in the Region Title game, they used an 8 player rotation, of those 8 players, 5 (including 3 starters, and their leading scorer) graduated, 1 suffered a significant knee injury in football, leaving CC with 2 returning players that had varsity experience. Albeit, 2 quality players who have both been all-region players, it was simply an acknowledgement that your statement would have been more accurate had you said, "CC lost a lot, but will compete"

That said, CONGRATULATIONS maddog, CC is 7-0, ranked in the top 10. I don't think anyone on this board indicated they would be a bad team, I and others simply wanted to see how they filled the void of everything they lost. Lets also remember, they have currently played 7 teams that have a combined record of 18-30. They are doing what any team should do with a young unproven roster. They are building confidence and momentum against lessor opponents and coming together as a team in the process. They will be in the Region 1 conversation all year, but Kindred and Enderlin appear to be Elite, 3-6 will be a battle all year, and 7-12 will not compete with the top half. I predict CC will finish 3rd or 4th at the worst in the region. They may beat the 12th team by 40, (feeding your "I told you so" approach) but may also may lose to 1 and 2 by 20 (what do you say then).
ND Sports Fan
NDPreps Starter

Postby BasketballMind » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:54 am

ND Sports Fan wrote:Am I reading this right, maddog wants us all to bend a knee because you thought CC might be in the mix in Region 1 . . . . . . .

My "blasting" as you call it had to do with questioning your "CC returns a lot". I simply questioned your insight into CC. In 2019-20, CC played in the Region Title game, they used an 8 player rotation, of those 8 players, 5 (including 3 starters, and their leading scorer) graduated, 1 suffered a significant knee injury in football, leaving CC with 2 returning players that had varsity experience. Albeit, 2 quality players who have both been all-region players, it was simply an acknowledgement that your statement would have been more accurate had you said, "CC lost a lot, but will compete"

That said, CONGRATULATIONS maddog, CC is 7-0, ranked in the top 10. I don't think anyone on this board indicated they would be a bad team, I and others simply wanted to see how they filled the void of everything they lost. Lets also remember, they have currently played 7 teams that have a combined record of 18-30. They are doing what any team should do with a young unproven roster. They are building confidence and momentum against lessor opponents and coming together as a team in the process. They will be in the Region 1 conversation all year, but Kindred and Enderlin appear to be Elite, 3-6 will be a battle all year, and 7-12 will not compete with the top half. I predict CC will finish 3rd or 4th at the worst in the region. They may beat the 12th team by 40, (feeding your "I told you so" approach) but may also may lose to 1 and 2 by 20 (what do you say then).

Friday night when they host Grafton, we'll find out plenty about how good they are. Grafton will be coming off a game against North Border on Thursday for early R2 bragging rights. If CC beats Grafton or even just competes and keeps in a 2-3 possession game in a loss, then we can start taking them seriously. Their strength of schedule must be taken into consideration.
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Postby maddog1971 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:59 am

lennylive wrote:
BasketballMind wrote:
maddog1971 wrote:

So the Kindred weakness has been found. Big Strong Post play. Kindred was physically beat up.(one kid is actually in the hospital right now with a chest injury and another might have a concussion) The game was called so the Lisbon Big's used muscle to own the paint(which is perfectly fine) and Kindred plain old could not hit the ocean if they fell out of a boat. Lisbon backed off and let them shoot and then they owned the lane. They made Kindred play poorly.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby BasketballMind » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:34 am

maddog1971 wrote:
So the Kindred weakness has been found. Big Strong Post play. Kindred was physically beat up.(one kid is actually in the hospital right now with a chest injury and another might have a concussion) The game was called so the Lisbon Big's used muscle to own the paint(which is perfectly fine) and Kindred plain old could not hit the ocean if they fell out of a boat. Lisbon backed off and let them shoot and then they owned the lane. They made Kindred play poorly.

Hope their players are all going to be alright, never want to hear that kinda thing, but it does happen. Looking at their schedule I noticed something that seems odd, so excuse my ignorance here. Kindred doesn’t play Enderlin until February 26th, the last game of the regular season. Their only meeting.

Is that normal? Sometimes schedules get put in for multiple years in a row and there’s nothing you can do.. I’m kind of surprised they’re only playing once. Many expect them to get to the R1 championship against each other. But, if one of them could go from 2 to 3 on a two point conference loss, we could see those two playing in the second round of regionals. If CC is legit and knocks one of them off and could sneak into the 2 spot the R1 tournament would have a top 5 caliber matchup in the semis.
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:46 pm

BasketballMind wrote:
maddog1971 wrote:

Hope their players are all going to be alright, never want to hear that kinda thing, but it does happen. Looking at their schedule I noticed something that seems odd, so excuse my ignorance here. Kindred doesn’t play Enderlin until February 26th, the last game of the regular season. Their only meeting.

Is that normal? Sometimes schedules get put in for multiple years in a row and there’s nothing you can do.. I’m kind of surprised they’re only playing once. Many expect them to get to the R1 championship against each other. But, if one of them could go from 2 to 3 on a two point conference loss, we could see those two playing in the second round of regionals. If CC is legit and knocks one of them off and could sneak into the 2 spot the R1 tournament would have a top 5 caliber matchup in the semis.

Happened last year too. Region schedule is mostly pre-determined before the year starts (2 year rotation - decent chance next year that game is more likely earlier); teams can move games around if needed but it rarely happens for anything other than weather or the possibility of creating B/G doubleheaders.

You RARELY see Region 1's top teams playing twice like Region 2 cause those teams either have tournaments they are a part of or the possibility to get out and schedule multiple top teams which the Top Region 1 teams do well. Enderlin, Kindred, Oak Grove, Central Cass have quite the non-region competition lined up (CC hasn't played most of them yet). Region 1 is also only allowed 20 regular season games unlike Region 2 & 7 that can schedule up to 21 games...so one less game available. The smaller schools closer to the SD border do tend to play each other twice but ONLY one game counts to the standings (another difference from R2).
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby BasketballMind » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:32 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
BasketballMind wrote:
maddog1971 wrote:

Is that normal? Sometimes schedules get put in for multiple years in a row and there’s nothing you can do. I’m kind of surprised they’re only playing once. Many expect them to get to the R1 championship against each other. But, if one of them could go from 2 to 3 on a two point conference loss, we could see those two playing in the second round of regionals. If CC is legit and knocks one of them off and could sneak into the 2 spot the R1 tournament, we would have a top 5 caliber matchup in the semis.

Happened last year too. Region schedule is mostly pre-determined before the year starts (2 year rotation - decent chance next year that game is more likely earlier); teams can move games around if needed but it rarely happens for anything other than weather or the possibility of creating B/G doubleheaders.

You RARELY see Region 1's top teams playing twice like Region 2 cause those teams either have tournaments they are a part of or the possibility to get out and schedule multiple top teams which the Top Region 1 teams do well. Enderlin, Kindred, Oak Grove, Central Cass have quite the non-region competition lined up (CC hasn't played most of them yet). Region 1 is also only allowed 20 regular season games unlike Region 2 & 7 that can schedule up to 21 games...so one less game available. The smaller schools closer to the SD border do tend to play each other twice but ONLY one game counts to the standings (another difference from R2).

Thanks for the clarification. If they're still getting quality opponents outside their own conference that's good for those teams. Puts a lot of pressure on each conference game as well. Would be interesting if Kindred or Enderlin was in a position to drop to the 3 seed on that night and set up a potential semi-final match-up in the R1 tourney.
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Postby maddog1971 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:41 pm

I don't think both teams will go unbeaten in the conference. Someone will get beat someplace. Then you never know in the tournament... Last year Kindred got beat by CC and Enderlin by... I can not remember but neither played for the region crown.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby BasketballMind » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:42 pm

maddog1971 wrote:I don't think both teams will go unbeaten in the conference. Someone will get beat someplace. Then you never know in the tournament... Last year Kindred got beat by CC and Enderlin by... I can not remember but neither played for the region crown.

I'd assume that was Richland?
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Postby wnrwnrckndnr » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:52 pm

BasketballMind wrote:
maddog1971 wrote:I don't think both teams will go unbeaten in the conference. Someone will get beat someplace. Then you never know in the tournament... Last year Kindred got beat by CC and Enderlin by... I can not remember but neither played for the region crown.

I'd assume that was Richland?

Enderlin got beat by Tri-state in the quarterfinals of regions last year.
wnrwnrckndnr
NDPreps Reserve

PreviousNext

Return to Boys