2020-21 Pre-Season Talk

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: 2020-21 Pre-Season Talk

Postby muley14 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:19 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
Happened last year too. Region schedule is mostly pre-determined before the year starts (2 year rotation - decent chance next year that game is more likely earlier); teams can move games around if needed but it rarely happens for anything other than weather or the possibility of creating B/G doubleheaders.

You RARELY see Region 1's top teams playing twice like Region 2 cause those teams either have tournaments they are a part of or the possibility to get out and schedule multiple top teams which the Top Region 1 teams do well. Enderlin, Kindred, Oak Grove, Central Cass have quite the non-region competition lined up (CC hasn't played most of them yet). Region 1 is also only allowed 20 regular season games unlike Region 2 & 7 that can schedule up to 21 games...so one less game available. The smaller schools closer to the SD border do tend to play each other twice but ONLY one game counts to the standings (another difference from R2).

Do you know the reason for the difference in number of games? I guess I just assumed that just about everyone would schedule up to whatever NDHSAA allowed.
muley14
NDPreps Starter

Postby packers21 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:13 pm

muley14 wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:
Happened last year too. Region schedule is mostly pre-determined before the year starts (2 year rotation - decent chance next year that game is more likely earlier); teams can move games around if needed but it rarely happens for anything other than weather or the possibility of creating B/G doubleheaders.

You RARELY see Region 1's top teams playing twice like Region 2 cause those teams either have tournaments they are a part of or the possibility to get out and schedule multiple top teams which the Top Region 1 teams do well. Enderlin, Kindred, Oak Grove, Central Cass have quite the non-region competition lined up (CC hasn't played most of them yet). Region 1 is also only allowed 20 regular season games unlike Region 2 & 7 that can schedule up to 21 games...so one less game available. The smaller schools closer to the SD border do tend to play each other twice but ONLY one game counts to the standings (another difference from R2).

Do you know the reason for the difference in number of games? I guess I just assumed that just about everyone would schedule up to whatever NDHSAA allowed.

Ya bc the Supts in Region 1 get the money for the play in games of Regionals not the state, and they refuse to change even when its not whats best for the kids.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby hoophoophoop » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:30 pm

packers21 wrote:
muley14 wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:

Ya bc the Supts in Region 1 get the money for the play in games of Regionals not the state, and they refuse to change even when its not whats best for the kids.

Rack that one up to the AD in Hankinson, it saves them a whole sixty dollars on the year. Good job Region 1!!!!! Way to save the money.
hoophoophoop
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby muley14 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:59 pm

Does this mean region 2 doesn't have play in games?
muley14
NDPreps Starter

Postby packers21 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:44 pm

muley14 wrote:Does this mean region 2 doesn't have play in games?

No they do, it means their play in game money goes to the state not the schools.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby BasketballMind » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:49 am

Has their been an announcement on how the Region tournaments are going to be played? Will the entire thing be played at the usual site? Will the higher seed host it like they did in volleyball? I would think with more fans being allowed to games that we could see a traditional Region tournament. Plenty of things can change over the next month and a half, but hopefully by the time they get started we can get back to "normal" and the tournaments can take place in their usual locations.
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:08 am

BasketballMind wrote:Has their been an announcement on how the Region tournaments are going to be played? Will the entire thing be played at the usual site? Will the higher seed host it like they did in volleyball? I would think with more fans being allowed to games that we could see a traditional Region tournament. Plenty of things can change over the next month and a half, but hopefully by the time they get started we can get back to "normal" and the tournaments can take place in their usual locations.

Nothing stated yet but I wouldn't be shocked if it is similar to how Volleyball played out with home sites. One would think if that is how they did it they could still do the Championship night at a neutral setting. The fact that Hockey has already been decided tells me that we'll hear about Basketball decision soon.

Next NDHSAA Board Meeting is slated for a week from today (1/21)...my guess we will know more then.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:29 pm

Oak Grove knocked off Oakes 110-108 in double OT tonight

Garret Meehl (Oakes) & Noah Swenson (Oak Grove) both eclipsed the 1,000 point plateau on back to back possessions in the 1st Half
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby BasketballMind » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:53 am

Run4Fun2009 wrote:Oak Grove knocked off Oakes 110-108 in double OT tonight

Garret Meehl (Oakes) & Noah Swenson (Oak Grove) both eclipsed the 1,000 point plateau on back to back possessions in the 1st Half

110-108 is a ton of points even with it being double OT. Where was the score at the end of regulation?
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Postby packers21 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:27 am

BasketballMind wrote:

110-108 is a ton of points even with it being double OT. Where was the score at the end of regulation?

packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:01 pm

packers21 wrote:
BasketballMind wrote:

Oakes 18 42 59 85 100 108
OG 21 37 58 85 100 110

Defense was sketchy in 4th and on but most players were in foul trouble and shots were falling. OG was down 9 with 2 minutes to go and 4 with 10 seconds left...there is a long highlight video out there
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Previous

Return to Boys