2019-2020 ALL-STATE TEAM

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: 2019-2020 ALL-STATE TEAM

Postby tommykramer » Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:43 pm

Winner Within? I am curious to your obsession with a 6'5" guy that averaged 14 and 12? He scored 45 in one game, so what did he average the rest of the year? Sounds like a solid all-region pick.
tommykramer
NDPreps Starter

Postby winner-within » Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:53 pm

tommykramer wrote:Winner Within? I am curious to your obsession with a 6'5" guy that averaged 14 and 12? He scored 45 in one game, so what did he average the rest of the year? Sounds like a solid all-region pick.

Does All State go by Height also?

Points Averaged were 18

Very Solid All Region Pick, all 3 years he was picked

I'm curious to why this is your only post on this thread....in fact the first one since 2014
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby defensewinsgames » Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:00 pm

tommykramer wrote:Winner Within? I am curious to your obsession with a 6'5" guy that averaged 14 and 12? He scored 45 in one game, so what did he average the rest of the year? Sounds like a solid all-region pick.

Being a relative or parent would be my guess
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby tommykramer » Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:06 pm

winner-within wrote:

Does All State go by Height also?

Points Averaged were 18

Very Solid All Region Pick, all 3 years he was picked

I'm curious to why this is your only post on this thread....in fact the first one since 2014

Just moved back from Minnesota - I'm from North Dakota originally and was able to watch the 2nd half of the season. First, if you don't believe being 6'5" is an obvious advantage....2nd 14/18 points is a good player. You've been around ND for a while correct? I didn't say he wasn't a good player. All-state?....
tommykramer
NDPreps Starter

Postby winner-within » Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:50 pm

They don't have internet in MN?

so All-State is, if I'm getting this correctly

Height and Points and Rebounds

and a 6'5" guy should score and rebound more than a 6'2" guy?

what If your 6'10"
or 5'11", what do the numbers need to be?

I've been around ND for a spell, that is correct....I've watched and coached ball all thru MN and ND and SD during the Summers throughout the years, so I have seen a variety of players from all levels and cultures and different City's
and what I'm hearing about your 1 half season of watching Region 2? is you know who is All-State level vs non All-State level in Class B ND Basketball for the season of 2019-2020

like the one person Stated on this thread in reference to a Player making it with a 3-17 record "its what you do for your team" but then when you look at all the players that did a lot for their team and even exceeded expectations at the end to finish higher than they were projected to finish then you wonder the method.....
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flying Wallenda » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:56 pm

winner-within wrote:They don't have internet in MN?

what If your 6'10"

I've been around ND for a spell, that is correct....I've watched and coached ball all thru MN and ND and SD during the Summers throughout the years, so I have seen a variety of players from all levels and cultures and different City's
and what I'm hearing about your 1 half season of watching Region 2? is you know who is All-State level vs non All-State level in Class B ND Basketball for the season of 2019-2020

like the one person Stated on this thread in reference to a Player making it with a 3-17 record "its what you do for your team" but then when you look at all the players that did a lot for their team and even exceeded expectations at the end to finish higher than they were projected to finish then you wonder the method.....

Your previous post on this kid was all about his career numbers, starting as a freshman but wasn't allowed by AD as an 8th graders, etc. So is your argument that he was deserved off of his entire career? Or was he deserving off of this season?

All state is certainly more than pts and rebounds, or at least it should be. Intangibles, running the floor, play making, rebounding, defending, etc should all be included. Take a look at a kid like Thorsgaard. Didn't have eye popping numbers, but in most games he was the best kid on the floor. Why? EFFORT - knock out defender, setting up teammates, getting the clutch basket, etc.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby tommykramer » Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:14 pm

what If your 6'10"

Wow! Absolutely unbelievable! What are you a relative? I have played both high school and college basketball at 5'9" - no you are right, height isn't everything, but it sure as heck doesn't hurt. My question for you is - based on who votes for this selection, did they see something that maybe you didn't? Dan Keating probably calls 70 basketball games a year and has done so for 30 years. Are you questioning him, or the sports reporter that goes to 4 games a week throughout the season? Personally, I believe that the only people more qualified for selecting this team are referees... if anyone that I saw that should be on it, not an expert because I honestly only saw 2 regions play, was the Crockett kid from Northern Cass. I couldn't tell you who shouldn't be on it; because I didn't see a lot of them play. But, as just a guy who has played the sport at a very high level and seen more basketball than you can imagine, I know what an all-state basketball player looks like. My vision is crystal clear, is yours?
tommykramer
NDPreps Starter

Postby defensewinsgames » Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:12 pm

I wouldn't let him get to you tommykramer. He has been on a war path about Cavalier all season. He got very upset earlier this season because a couple of us said playing at home is an advantage. Then lost it after Cavalier lost because the gym was too cold and injuries and maybe officials, I can't even remember. Now it is about football and starting as a 9th grader but not 8th because AD. You aren't going to get through to someone that personally invested in it. He clearly has a personal connection to the team and player so it is best to let him have his opinion, he is as entitled to it as anyone. He has his opinion and you have yours. Don't bite on the madness sandwich.
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby winner-within » Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:00 am

tommykramer wrote:

what If your 6'10"

Wow! Absolutely unbelievable! What are you a relative? I have played both high school and college basketball at 5'9" - no you are right, height isn't everything, but it sure as heck doesn't hurt. My question for you is - based on who votes for this selection, did they see something that maybe you didn't? Dan Keating probably calls 70 basketball games a year and has done so for 30 years. Are you questioning him, or the sports reporter that goes to 4 games a week throughout the season? Personally, I believe that the only people more qualified for selecting this team are referees... if anyone that I saw that should be on it, not an expert because I honestly only saw 2 regions play, was the Crockett kid from Northern Cass. I couldn't tell you who shouldn't be on it; because I didn't see a lot of them play. But, as just a guy who has played the sport at a very high level and seen more basketball than you can imagine, I know what an all-state basketball player looks like. My vision is crystal clear, is yours?

I believe that is what you've been telling me TK

defensewinsgames, I have zero madness, life is about making sure no stones get left unturned, I feel this site has always been a place to accomplish that, I believe many believe "leave that stone the way it is, such is life" but this is a sports forum and the media and the fans are entitled to debate on sports, (the young men can handle the debating don't worry) its probably one of the last of the mohicans in the sense of, there are still just nicknames and not real names like twitter etc etc ....I have not once ever been banned, I have not once ever deliberately provoked, and I do call a spade a spade, thats who I am....there was no home court advantage, Did HCV get stronger as the season went on? yes, especially Limke and Benson and the Bench...Cavalier played 5 guys...all year...

Flying wallenda, I don't quite get your question "deserved off"
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flying Wallenda » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:25 am

winner-within wrote:
tommykramer wrote:

what If your 6'10"

I believe that is what you've been telling me TK

defensewinsgames, I have zero madness, life is about making sure no stones get left unturned, I feel this site has always been a place to accomplish that, I believe many believe "leave that stone the way it is, such is life" but this is a sports forum and the media and the fans are entitled to debate on sports, (the young men can handle the debating don't worry) its probably one of the last of the mohicans in the sense of, there are still just nicknames and not real names like twitter etc etc ....I have not once ever been banned, I have not once ever deliberately provoked, and I do call a spade a spade, thats who I am....there was no home court advantage, Did HCV get stronger as the season went on? yes, especially Limke and Benson and the Bench...Cavalier played 5 guys...all year...

Flying wallenda, I don't quite get your question "deserved off"

You had mentioned the career numbers of the boy from Cavalier, then had talked some about what he had done this year with Tommy Kramer - I was wondering if you thought this young man deserved to be on the all state team because of his career accomplishments or because of his senior year accomplishments?
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby justplayalready » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:49 am

There are people on the all state team that aren't the best all around player on their own team...fact, or better said there are other players I'd build my team around that aren't on the list...

It is what it is and most serious fans see the complete players and their play over the stats
justplayalready
NDPreps All-State

Postby winner-within » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:56 am

Flying Wallenda: Career spells out solid.... Senior year solid solid IMO....the big Night of 10 3's (10 for 13) and 45 points was somewhat planned, they had elected to try and break an old School record of 50 in one game by Todd Olson, Craig Anderson had previously scored 49 and 10 3's also....supposedly there were some very annoyed people after this game (this year) and phone calls were coming in from different directions....Many folks from DVE had great things to say and said it was fun to watch....unfortunately I believe the many bad vibes rubbed off and they lost the next 4 in a row.... then won 7 in a row prior to the Regional tournament.... IMO Carrier could have had many games north of 25 points but thats not his game (very unselfish)....a member on here messaged me and said he had no idea of any big game or anything North Border or Cavalier or even Grafton was doing media wise up here in the corner of the State, Hense losing WDAZ I believe has hurt....R2 was stacked with some awesome Ballers this season and I also believe Schwab, that there are some serious Ballers out west too...I lived in Killdeer at one time and spent a lot of time in Isabel SD and the work ethic in Ranch Country is second to none.........
Todd Olson was a Superintendents Son and a very good Shooter (one of the best)
Craig Anderson's Folks both teach in Cavalier and are Excellent teachers and people!
not sure if the scrutiny came in after their big games and I hope it didn't because any HS Basketball player that has payed their dues day in and day out should get a "Green Light" now and then.....some have it their whole career
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flying Wallenda » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:49 pm

winner-within wrote:Flying Wallenda: Career spells out solid.... Senior year solid solid IMO....the big Night of 10 3's (10 for 13) and 45 points was somewhat planned, they had elected to try and break an old School record of 50 in one game by Todd Olson, Craig Anderson had previously scored 49 and 10 3's also....supposedly there were some very annoyed people after this game (this year) and phone calls were coming in from different directions....Many folks from DVE had great things to say and said it was fun to watch....unfortunately I believe the many bad vibes rubbed off and they lost the next 4 in a row.... then won 7 in a row prior to the Regional tournament.... IMO Carrier could have had many games north of 25 points but thats not his game (very unselfish)....a member on here messaged me and said he had no idea of any big game or anything North Border or Cavalier or even Grafton was doing media wise up here in the corner of the State, Hense losing WDAZ I believe has hurt....R2 was stacked with some awesome Ballers this season and I also believe Schwab, that there are some serious Ballers out west too...I lived in Killdeer at one time and spent a lot of time in Isabel SD and the work ethic in Ranch Country is second to none.........
Craig Anderson's Folks both teach in Cavalier and are Excellent teachers and people!
not sure if the scrutiny came in after their big games and I hope it didn't because any HS Basketball player that has payed their dues day in and day out should get a "Green Light" now and then.....some have it their whole career

1) Why in the world would a team try to break a school record in a "set up" deal like that!? I can imagine that turned off people, likely including his teammates.
2) You're right, I never heard of this young man hitting 10 3's or scoring 45 until you mentioned it on here. You are correct, the media coverage is spotty at best, horrendous at worth now days. Both TV and Newspaper....did see him play 3 times though
3) Todd was a stud - I was crushed when he couldn't get Cavalier to the dance so the entire state could see him play.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby winner-within » Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:23 pm

Flying Wallenda wrote:
winner-within wrote:Flying Wallenda: Career spells out solid.... Senior year solid solid IMO....the big Night of 10 3's (10 for 13) and 45 points was somewhat planned, they had elected to try and break an old School record of 50 in one game by Todd Olson, Craig Anderson had previously scored 49 and 10 3's also....supposedly there were some very annoyed people after this game (this year) and phone calls were coming in from different directions....Many folks from DVE had great things to say and said it was fun to watch....unfortunately I believe the many bad vibes rubbed off and they lost the next 4 in a row.... then won 7 in a row prior to the Regional tournament.... IMO Carrier could have had many games north of 25 points but thats not his game (very unselfish)....a member on here messaged me and said he had no idea of any big game or anything North Border or Cavalier or even Grafton was doing media wise up here in the corner of the State, Hense losing WDAZ I believe has hurt....R2 was stacked with some awesome Ballers this season and I also believe Schwab, that there are some serious Ballers out west too...I lived in Killdeer at one time and spent a lot of time in Isabel SD and the work ethic in Ranch Country is second to none.........

1) Why in the world would a team try to break a school record in a "set up" deal like that!? I can imagine that turned off people, likely including his teammates.
2) You're right, I never heard of this young man hitting 10 3's or scoring 45 until you mentioned it on here. You are correct, the media coverage is spotty at best, horrendous at worth now days. Both TV and Newspaper....did see him play 3 times though
3) Todd was a stud - I was crushed when he couldn't get Cavalier to the dance so the entire state could see him play.

number 1
this has been evolving for years I personally believe, has been talked about throughout the years like someone beats a 110 hurdle record that has stood since 1983 per say
the "try beat the record ordeal" evolved as the game went on, not before it started
some ones hot, let him go....Like the night Anderson went off, or Trenbeth went off, or Wheeling went off, sometimes events repeat themselves in HS sports, in the same gym
happens more than one thinks at any level
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:57 am

Flying Wallenda wrote:

I hadn't read this clearly so I want to leave another stone unturned, and avoid another "paint a picture" like I get so much from a select few on ndpreps,
I visited with Coach Ratchenski and he said when Carrier was 6 for 7 on threes in the first half, and at half time all the players and he, said "go for it" keep strokin" Carrier went 4 for 6 second half but actually posted up too and got his other 15 points on 2's and a couple free throws.......I think he had like 15 rebounds too, which has always been his Bread and Butter on the hard court.......the next day, it was brought to their attention the scouting report was on the chalk board in the opposing teams locker room,
each player was broken down on tendencies...

Carrier: "Shoots a lot, get up on him and he breaks"
maybe Olsons record would have been broken had they seen that prior to the game.....so I asked where all the animosity was coming from and he said "opposing coaches were livid"....why, cause he didn't break? fairly ironic
very inaccurate scouting report by the way

TK, this is where the 6'5" did come into play and working in the off season on a true jump shot beyond the arc....
In the famous words of Coach Hagler (north star) when his son (awesome player) tweaked his ankle in the State tourn...."once he lost his lift on his jumper things got tight fast"

records are made to be broken
I wasn't at the game when Olson scored 50...was probably playing some where in another gym that night
I was at the game when Anderson scored 49 and then was sat with over a minute left (could have had it) but I remember it like yesterday....

couple young guns came up after the game of this years 45 pointer and were like "wow, 10 threes 45 points"
they'll never forget and hopefully get a chance to beat it, I'm sure they would get a snap or tweet from Carrier
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:55 am

Thoughts from this:
1. Scouting reports on locker room boards are nothing new- saying that if you pressure a player and they will break is nothing new.
2. I haven't seen the player in question play basketball in person (watched a few films and saw him play a couple of football games in person).
3. I don't know what the situation was at the end of the game, but in a 26 point game if starters from the other team are still gunning, I could see why there might be some resentment.
4. I've been involved in a lot of half-times, not once has a record been brought up, ever.
5. Player might be an all-state caliber, but I don't think he was a no doubter for all state. IMO an all-state guy brings it every single night and is consistent.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:46 am

The Schwab wrote:Thoughts from this:
1. Scouting reports on locker room boards are nothing new- saying that if you pressure a player and they will break is nothing new.
2. I haven't seen the player in question play basketball in person (watched a few films and saw him play a couple of football games in person).
3. I don't know what the situation was at the end of the game, but in a 26 point game if starters from the other team are still gunning, I could see why there might be some resentment.
4. I've been involved in a lot of half-times, not once has a record been brought up, ever.
5. Player might be an all-state caliber, but I don't think he was a no doubter for all state. IMO an all-state guy brings it every single night and is consistent.

After reading this post I thought I was coming down with the Corona-Virus....Is becoming Nauseated a symptom?
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:42 pm

Are you sure it was my post that is causing nausea, or is it a bad batch of Cavalier Kool-Aid ;)
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:30 pm

The Schwab wrote:Are you sure it was my post that is causing nausea, or is it a bad batch of Cavalier Kool-Aid ;)

it was your post..
It reads like Steven A. Smith (along with a slight Romper Room Blend) wrote it... no offense, but you are way off the topic of All-State Team

Cavalier Kool-Aid? I never was a Cavalier Tornado
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:39 pm

winner-within wrote:
The Schwab wrote:Are you sure it was my post that is causing nausea, or is it a bad batch of Cavalier Kool-Aid ;)

it was your post..
It reads like Steven A. Smith (along with a slight Romper Room Blend) wrote it... no offense, but you are way off the topic of All-State Team

It was in response to your previous posts. We get it, you believe that a Cavalier player belonged on the All-State Team (and many others believe others belonged on it as well)...no problems with that.

There will always be "snubs" but let's talk and discuss positively on this; like adults. If this continues down a path of negative tones or this borders on board rule infractions...the topic will be locked.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby The Schwab » Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:33 pm

winner-within wrote:

it was your post..

It was in response to your soapbox stance on the player deserving all state. I don’t think he deserved all state, sounds like an all region player. Not an all state player.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby BasketballMind » Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:18 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
winner-within wrote:

it was your post..

It was in response to your previous posts. We get it, you believe that a Cavalier player belonged on the All-State Team (and many others believe others belonged on it as well)...no problems with that.

There will always be "snubs" but let's talk and discuss positively on this; like adults. If this continues down a path of negative tones or this borders on board rule infractions...the topic will be locked.

If winner thinks that Andre is all-state then he should make a case for him to replace someone that is.
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:49 pm

BasketballMind wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:
winner-within wrote:

it was your post..

If winner thinks that Andre is all-state then he should make a case for him to replace someone that is.

And he has in a few previous posts; I totally get it...saw film on him twice this year. Wasn't overly impressed but he had a case to be named All-State...the problem is so did about 10-20 other athletes in the State. All-State is comprised of 15 players (sometimes 16 via ties) out of over 1,250 players in the State. IMO, every year there are at least 10 guarantees and a few that can be discussed; there are only 2 this year that seemed like stretches, in my eyes, and one clear omission (I will not name them...so plz don't ask). It's an 'elite' list but it doesn't define you as a player!

scc has explained the process: starts with the coaches at the region level then it moves onto the media with stats and considerations for voting. This year has been the most discussed year on the All-State teams (isolation and the virus are part of that).

Agree, disagree, discuss but in a positive manner
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby winner-within » Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:50 am

My favorite "is I watched film"

and "overly impressed"

once again, ND class of 2020 Class A & B had the biggest crop of Ballers in a long time ....maybe all-time

WHY?
1. a lot of boys born in 2000 (a lot of hold backs were taking place) and 2001
2. they were firing them up at young ages (like hockey had been)
3. as time went on? countless AAU, ECI teams, traveling Ball was hitting on all Cylinders before season after season etc etc
4. some extremely competitive persona throughout
5. the vast Majority Multi Sports

Some Awesome Ball players, all deserving of whatever award or milestone they achieved in any regards, regardless of what any on this forum thinks....

once again:
Sadly No Tourns......who would have ever projected

some of it, not all of it, does shine some light on it for me and thats all that matters right now (and I'm not referring to whats written in this thread).....just from the very beginning of the finally of 2020

OUT
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby BasketballMind » Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:41 pm

winner-within wrote:My favorite "is I watched film"

and "overly impressed"

once again, ND class of 2020 Class A & B had the biggest crop of Ballers in a long time ....maybe all-time

WHY?
1. a lot of boys born in 2000 (a lot of hold backs were taking place) and 2001
2. they were firing them up at young ages (like hockey had been)
3. as time went on? countless AAU, ECI teams, traveling Ball was hitting on all Cylinders before season after season etc etc
4. some extremely competitive persona throughout
5. the vast Majority Multi Sports

Some Awesome Ball players, all deserving of whatever award or milestone they achieved in any regards, regardless of what any on this forum thinks....

once again:
Sadly No Tourns......who would have ever projected

some of it, not all of it, does shine some light on it for me and thats all that matters right now (and I'm not referring to whats written in this thread).....just from the very beginning of the finally of 2020

OUT

There are great players every year. There are people that are held back every year. Youth coaches have been involved at young ages since I can remember and I'm in my 30s. Region 2 is always one of the best Regions in the state so there is always talent. To stand out in Region 2 means you're legit. Andre was a scouting report name to know from his Sophomore year on and nobody has ever denied that. All-state players are voted on by coaches and media, they're usually consistently great on great teams, or someone that's so good it's undeniable. Phillip Shanilec won Mr. Basketball and they barely qualified for Regions. Buzzer-beater against NB if I'm remembering right.

Winner you seem attached to this years class and specifically one player that I believe you're a family member. That's great to support your own, but don't let it get in the way when someone disagrees with you. Again, I can't justify taking anyone off the first team. They're all no-brainers in my opinion. At the end of the day nobody is denying his ability.
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

PreviousNext

Return to Boys